Menu

tear-jerker picture books

Has anyone else been surprised by an emotional response to a picture book?

We loved the book Capyboppy by Bill Peet. We have a special affection for capybaras because they're my dad's favorite animal. But why oh why didn't anyone warn me that the book would make me cry?!? My kids were bewildered. They gave me hugs. :tongue_smilie:

And another one: I absolutely cannot read aloud On the Day You Were Born. Sob city.

This one about MLK Jr also made me cry.

Farfallina and Marcel.

It's about a gosling and a caterpillar who become friends when they're young. The caterpillar climbs up the tree one day, and doesn't come down. The gosling waits and waits...and finally leaves the tree, sad.

Later, the caterpillar emerges from a cocoon as a butterfly (not realizing she's been gone for so long) and looks for the gosling, but he's not there.

Later, the butterfly sees a goose swimming all alone. They start to talk, and after a few minutes they introduce themselves to each other and then realize they are old friends. (Oh the tears start right then.)

Later, it becomes fall and they fly away...together. (Then I bawl for a bit.)

In Case You Ever Wonder makes me cry every time. I bought it for my girls who are adopted. My 14yo dd, who is a dancer, bought The Dance for her dad one Christmas a few years ago and he cried while reading it. It is about a girl dancing for her dad through her life . . . as a child, a teenager at the prom, at her wedding, and as was dying.

My children got used to my crying during read-aloud time.

The first one that comes to mind is The Rag Coat by Lauren Mills.

Although not a picture book, another big one was And God Cried, Too: A Kid's Book of Healing and Hope by Marc Gellman.

I seem to recall crying at many books that we got from Sonlight. My son would often have to take over the reading because I was too emotional. :blush:

The worst one that makes me so emotional that I hate it is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. Ugh!

My children have declared The Velveteen Rabbit to be the most evil story ever. I didn't think Sweet-pea would ever start crying. I will definitely make note of these other mentioned so I don't ever try to read those to the girls or let them read them. Sweet-Pea is very emotional about what she reads.

Oh my goodness, I am SO BAD about crying! Poor DS has just had to get used to it. It is good that he can read now, since sometimes he has to take over for me :lol:

One of my latest picture book sob stories is All the Places to Love. SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL, in language, theme, and illustrations! Makes me teary just thinking of it!

Edited by Glory

Although not a picture book, another big one was And God Cried, Too: A Kid's Book of Healing and Hope by Marc Gellman.

I seem to recall crying at many books that we got from Sonlight. My son would often have to take over the reading because I was too emotional. :blush:

The worst one that makes me so emotional that I hate it is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. Ugh!

I remember reading The Rag Coat to my dd. And then she wanted to read it several days in a row. That was hard! I would pause and she would say, "Keep going, Mommy!!" :crying:

My children have declared The Velveteen Rabbit to be the most evil story ever. I didn't think Sweet-pea would ever start crying. I will definitely make note of these other mentioned so I don't ever try to read those to the girls or let them read them. Sweet-Pea is very emotional about what she reads.

The Velveteen Rabbit had me blubbering! My kids couldn't figure out what was wrong with me.

another one that made me cry was The White Stallion of Lipizza. I'm really not sure why, either. My kids really couldn't figure me out then!

Edited by Mothersweets

:iagree:

(For this we need an "I Agree" bobblehead that's not smiling.)

Almost anything by Patricia Polacco but the one about Abraham Lincoln and how depressed he was wondering if he was a horrible president had me sobbing. Oh, and the orange book where we discover that was Frankie's last Christmas.. My poor kids cringe whenever I get any of her books.

And William Steig's book about the whale and the mouse and where they say goodbye for the last time. :(

My kids just suffer through it while I sob, "But you need to know this!" :lol::lol:

That was the first one to come to mind for me, too. I also agree with many of the others mentioned in this thread. One not mentioned is Old Coyote. Oh...:crying::crying::crying:

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. :D

I'd forgotten about Love You Forever. Before I had kids, I thought that book was kind of creepy. (She takes a ladder and breaks into his house? :001_huh:) Now even thinking of that book makes me tear up.

Our minister read it in one week during the kids' part of the service. The kids fidgeted through it. But by the time she was done reading, at least half of the adults were sniffling and fumbling for tissue.