Menu

If someone calls you a "heathener"

Do you correct their grammar or address the issue first? :glare:

Really? Someone called you a heathener? :001_huh: I just don't know where I would even start with that, but I am thinking that laughter might very well be the first thing I do. :tongue_smilie:

I'm sorry someone was so rude and stupid to you. :grouphug: Or is it stupid and rude? :D

I don't know, but I do this :lol: while I sort out the etiquette of a retort!

Maybe they meant you're such a Heather? LOL

When I was a little girl (waaaaay before I should have been allowed to watch this movie!), I watched Heathers until the tape broke. Literally. :lol::lol: Christian Slater was my first bad boy crush. I also credit that movie with my inclination toward excessive sarcasm.

When i was first reading the OP, i was thinking :confused: does the person mean Hefner? I would have been thinking, how am I like the created of playboy magazine.

Perhaps i should just go to bed. My brain is not working correctly.

Disclaimer, I am atheist.

I have been called a heathen before. It wouldn't bother me. Just have me wondering about the person saying it and wondering why they felt the need for name calling.

When I was a little girl (waaaaay before I should have been allowed to watch this movie!), I watched Heathers until the tape broke. Literally. :lol::lol: Christian Slater was my first bad boy crush. I also credit that movie with my inclination toward excessive sarcasm.

I watched it for the first time in college when neighbors of mine held an '80s movie marathon. I loved it instantly. Those friends and I still quote it more than aging 30-somethings should LOL.

I didn't grow up here, so those neighbors indoctrinated me and caught me up on ALL of the 80s movies. I'm embarassed to admit that my favorite was Gleaming the Cube, and ... well pretty much anything with Christian Slater :D.

Do you correct their grammar or address the issue first? :glare:

Grammar first, always.

I feel that people should be humiliated in the proper order. First, point out their stupidity. This sets them in their place and lets them know right away that they've attacked the wrong person. This also gives them a heads up that this is just not going to be one of their most pleasant days. Then proceed to point out their ignorance. Do so thoroughly. Blessing their little hearts is optional, but always finish them off with a big ol' smile. :D

I watched it for the first time in college when neighbors of mine held an '80s movie marathon. I loved it instantly. Those friends and I still quote it more than aging 30-somethings should LOL.

I didn't grow up here, so those neighbors indoctrinated me and caught me up on ALL of the 80s movies. I'm embarassed to admit that my favorite was Gleaming the Cube, and ... well pretty much anything with Christian Slater :D.

My brother's a skater. Gleaming the Cube can still regularly be watched at my mom's. Kinda weirds me out to see Tony Hawk looking younger than me....

Heathener? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Speaking of awesome 80s movies....

I'd probably give them a big ol' hug and thank them profusely, as if they'd given me a wonderful compliment. Maybe they'd go home and try to look up the word.

If you correct the grammar, it will just prove to them what a heathener you really are.;)

Thanks for the thread; you made my night!:lol:

Heathener? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

:lol::lol: My all time favorite movie!! I should have done that with a Spanish accent!!

It was my MIL, it case anyone is interested. I think it was because we happened to join a "fake church" and that just sent her over the edge... bless her heart.

Grammar first, always.

I feel that people should be humiliated in the proper order. First, point out their stupidity. This sets them in their place and lets them know right away that they've attacked the wrong person. This also gives them a heads up that this is just not going to be one of their most pleasant days. Then proceed to point out their ignorance. Do so thoroughly. Blessing their little hearts is optional, but always finish them off with a big ol' smile. :D

:grouphug: Oh, if I could, I would.... I think on my 50th birthday.

Planning, planning, planning.....

When i was first reading the OP, i was thinking :confused: does the person mean Hefner? I would have been thinking, how am I like the created of playboy magazine.

Perhaps i should just go to bed. My brain is not working correctly.

Disclaimer, I am atheist.

I have been called a heathen before. It wouldn't bother me. Just have me wondering about the person saying it and wondering why they felt the need for name calling.

:D

:lol::lol: My all time favorite movie!! I should have done that with a Spanish accent!!

It was my MIL, it case anyone is interested. I think it was because we happened to join a "fake church" and that just sent her over the edge... bless her heart.

My all time favorite movie also.

I'm dying to know what this "fake" church is.

Grammar first, always.

:lol: You're like the "Miss Manners" of putting people in their places!

I'm dying to know what this "fake" church is.

Unitarian Universalist. :D

Dude! If the Unitarian Universalist church is fake, what on earth is our Buildings & Grounds committee doing with all the money they claim our "building" needs?!

First of all, :lol::lol::lol:.

My initial reaction was to laugh, then to ask, "where does she live? Ah, Texas. That explains a lot." The word "heathener" isn't completely unknown here, but it certainly places her in a certain class of people in my mind. If you did "bless her heart", around here that would be an appropriate insult back. Is that true in other places or is East TN the only one?

My closest friend comes from folks that talk this way, but they aren't really Christians. They live in the Smoky Mountains on ancestral land and have some of the most colorful language I have ever heard. They also have colorful stories and histories. I love them for it, although I do correct poor grammar (in teasing mostly). ;)

Aw, shucks. When you said you joined a "fake church", I was hoping you'd say you were telling her about the Church of the SubGenius or Pastafarianism.

The local priest does call my kids "the little heathens", which he intends as a joke and I do find funny. It's all good. We also talk about Futurama, baby names, church history, movies, politics ... he's pretty cool. He is probably the only person around here who doesn't have a problem with our atheism. :lol:

If my MIL called me a heathener ... I'd probably tell her, "It's a good thing heathener's not a word; otherwise I'd think you were trying to insult me."

SO I looked it up in Google and there is a Heath Eren and a Sally Heatheren. There are also some people who use heatheren in their identities online but I don't know if they are related to those mentioned above.

My first thought actually was about how much I like the plant heather (erica) and why was someone calling you a plant?

First of all, :lol::lol::lol:.

My initial reaction was to laugh, then to ask, "where does she live? Ah, Texas. That explains a lot." The word "heathener" isn't completely unknown here, but it certainly places her in a certain class of people in my mind. If you did "bless her heart", around here that would be an appropriate insult back. Is that true in other places or is East TN the only one?

My closest friend comes from folks that talk this way, but they aren't really Christians. They live in the Smoky Mountains on ancestral land and have some of the most colorful language I have ever heard. They also have colorful stories and histories. I love them for it, although I do correct poor grammar (in teasing mostly). ;)

We recognize "bless your heart" as an appropriately insulting response to a lot of things around here (Ohio). But I went to college in Cleveland, TN and I have a lot of family in Kingsport/Bristol. So, take that for what it's worth, I guess.

Aw, shucks. When you said you joined a "fake church", I was hoping you'd say you were telling her about the Church of the SubGenius or Pastafarianism.

The local priest does call my kids "the little heathens", which he intends as a joke and I do find funny. It's all good. We also talk about Futurama, baby names, church history, movies, politics ... he's pretty cool. He is probably the only person around here who doesn't have a problem with our atheism. :lol:

If my MIL called me a heathener ... I'd probably tell her, "It's a good thing heathener's not a word; otherwise I'd think you were trying to insult me."

:lol::lol::lol: