Menu

Scutigera coleoptrata (pic)

Wiki has a funny "Early Description":

In 1902, C.L. Marlatt, an entomologist with the United States Department of Agriculture wrote a brief description of the house centipede:

It may often be seen darting across floors with very great speed, occasionally stopping suddenly and remaining absolutely motionless, presently to resume its rapid movements, often darting directly at inmates of the house, particularly women, evidently with a desire to conceal itself beneath their dresses, and thus creating much consternation.

They eat spiders. And cockroaches. And bedbugs. And all kind of other creepy crawlies.

What's not to love?

I have seen so many centipedes here this summer compared to other years. I think it's probably due to the drought. They are definitely beneficial. However, I found one just like this crawling in my bathtub one day (they are very common here...in the outdoors!) and it freaked me out big time. He's Scolopendra heros and he will give you a very bad owie. :lol:

On the bright side, it was a defining moment for me as a homeschooling mom, mom of insect lovers, mom of Harry the Poisonous Centipede fans. I rescued him (very, very carefully) and released him into the garden.

I have not taken a bath since then. :001_unsure:

We've had those ever since we moved into this house 13 years ago. My kids have dubbed them "million-legged spiders". I've become used to them over the years but yesterday a small one ran up my arm when I bent over to pick up a load for the washer. Ewwww! I did a bit of a dance.

They seem to be worse some years than others but I haven't identified why. I do know that this fall is supposed to be bad for allergens like mold in our area and we seem to have a lot of the "spiders" so maybe there's a correlation.

My eldest son cannot kill them unless it's absolutely necessary. They complete freak him out which is hilarious because he's almost 19, over 6 ft, big basketball/soccer/baseball athlete and these things just completely undo him. :) He says it's because he used to have his bedroom in our finished basement and one morning he woke up with one right in front of his face on the wall by his bed! That would probably do me in, too.

If anyone figures out a way to get rid of them (other than individual squashing) let me know.

On a side note, my youngers like to squish them in the middle so they can watch the legs wiggle. {shudder}

Two words:

Boric acid

Put it along the basement walls.

They're a little much when they crawl up the inside of your sleeve.

But they may be the reason we've never had cockroaches. I'd choose the centipedes any day over cockroaches.

Am I the only one who read "Cleopatra" when I skimmed the post title?

I read Coleoptera. Couldn't figure out how that was a beetle.

Ugh. We've never had them in this house, but the girls know them as "thousand-leggers" from a Bearenstain Bears book. DD9 is terrified of ever seeing one!

Wiki has a funny "Early Description":

That is hysterical! Yes, that's pretty much just what it feels like they want to do! I can imagine I'd be afraid of that if I was wearing voluminous skirts.

I have seen so many centipedes here this summer compared to other years. I think it's probably due to the drought. They are definitely beneficial. However, I found one just like this crawling in my bathtub one day (they are very common here...in the outdoors!) and it freaked me out big time. He's Scolopendra heros and he will give you a very bad owie. :lol:

Ok, now THAT was a link I shouldn't have clicked on. It made every hair on my head stand up *shudder*

• 7 months later...

The OP picture was kinda bad. The second picture-I'm thanking God I don't live where those things are. We have plenty of spiders but spiders don't creep me out. But lots of little legs...squiggling...yeah I'd scream like a little girl!

Two words:

Boric acid

Put it along the basement walls.

They're a little much when they crawl up the inside of your sleeve.

But they may be the reason we've never had cockroaches. I'd choose the centipedes any day over cockroaches.

I read Coleoptera. Couldn't figure out how that was a beetle.

Yes, I will definitely be making a trip to the store tomorrow for boric acid or diatomaceous earth (I'm already doing my homework).

Thanks!

Lisa