Menu

Hits and misses so far this year....

MamaHappy

Hits

MFW-ECC My 3 littles LOVE it! We are in week 5 so they just got their passports and you would have thought I bought them a puppy or something.

Bible: We started doing worship time before Bible class and the kids all love it. I typed up the words to songs (or copied and pasted them off Air1's website) and printed them out into a songbook. I downloaded their favorite songs off the radio and we are learning one hymn each week. The only problem is they want to choose songs forever and I hate telling them, "Well that is enough worshipping God now, let's move on." LOL

Misses

We tried a literature unit from Teacher Created Materials and we just can't fit any more in. With all my special needs kids school already goes on WAY too long.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far this year, I don't have any real misses - but after 6 years, I think I'm less adventurous (or is that fickle) than I used to be:

Hits:

Horizons 1

FLL 1

Literature Pockets - Nursery Rhymes

SOTW Ancients

Sonlight 6 Read Alouds (because I want the history based read-alouds that go with SOTW)

AAS - yay, love it!

HWT

Sonlight Grade 2 readers

Classical Conversations

Misses: None yet! :)

So far things have gone pretty well.

Hits:

Rosetta stone Spanish

IEW level B

TT7

Easy Grammar 7 with Daily Grams

Elemental Science-biology for the Logic stage

History Odyssey

Mavis Beacon teaches typing

Getting Started with Latin

Nothing we've done this year, I would consider a miss yet. We are also doing Critical Thinking book 1 it's going ok, I just don't care for that subject & vocabulary from the Classical Roots again going ok.

Hits:

Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space (although we are only using the Earth part)

Apologia Astronomy

R&S Grammar multiple levels

Abeka Phonics (it works for us and my kids are great readers because of it :D)

Abeka Reading, Spelling and Writing (cursive)

OK but not great:

SOTW 2

Hits:

RSO Life - He really, really loves this a ton :)

SOTW (especially AG) - Ds says he's really "getting into" history. He loved the archaeological dig and flooding the Nile. I wish I had learned history this way.

RSB - He loves math, and that is saying a lot!

LOF Apples - Kiddo loves this one. While there is little practice, I think it's the perfect amount for a 6 y/o. He asks to do it.

AAS - We both love this one a lot. Today we wrote our phonograms (for dictation) in rice. A nice break from handwriting.

FLL - Super gentle. He has liked memorizing the poems.

WWE - I love how narration is teaching him to pay attention, and the copywork is gentle. Perfect and just at his level.

HWT - While ds doesn't love handwriting, I think it is a good program

Elementary Spanish - I'm really excited to be working on Spanish as we have family newly living in Spain.

BrainPop - I'm so thankful for the G3 deal. I love having these cute videos to reinforce our science lessons.

On the fence:

GWG 1 - Not really sure why I added this. A first grader isn't really spelling, and hates printing (or at least mine is still growing in those areas) which makes the pages kind of difficult. We're already doing FLL, so this isn't really necessary. I think it will eventually become much easier for him to do, so we'll keep it.

AP - I like this, but as others have said, technique instruction is minimal. I like it ok, but will likely not use it next year. He actually says art is his favorite, but we're a super artsy family already, so he would love anything we did.

Lollipop Logic - Cute, but too easy for a 6 y/o.

ETC - Ds complains about this one, but I think it's mostly because he is still working on his fine motor skills. "I" like it though as it's really the only thing he does independently, and I take the opportunity to get the morning dishes done. I do think it is reinforcing what he learned in OPGTR though, so we'll keep it.

Overall, we're having so much fun! I haven't felt like anything has been difficult to accomplish. Even with all the above, we never run over 2 1/2 to 3 hours tops. We have lovely and relaxing afternoons after we're done.

Phew :)

Edited by waternclay

4th Grade

Hits

bju english with dvd's (2nd year. still love it)

bju spelling with dvd's (first year, but love it)

CLE math (4th year - still love)

times tales - LOVE... total headache cure for me

Misses

HOD science portion in bigger (and the extension science book too) - so far we really dislike it...hoping it gets better though. in the meantime, we're supplementing.

2nd Grade

Hits

CLE Math

Dictation Plus (2nd year-love it)

Hooked on Phonics (used with daughter & still love it)

R&S Grammar orally

Spectrum Writing Grade 1

Adventures in America

Misses

Heart of Dakota Bigger - just not the right level for my son...I'm using Adventures in America with him instead & supplementing with some parts of HOD that may complement Adventures. We're reading the recommended books in AIA too.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

My biggest flop this year was Teach your child to read in 100 EZ lessons.

Analytical Grammar- could be considered a flop because dd12 HATES it but ....... I have seen great improvement in her grammar(and mine).

The same could be said for CQLA and Easy Classical but once again I have seen improvement in her writing.

Hits for dd12 is Winston Grammar, Rod and Staff and Math Mammoth

So far so good with dd5 curriculum choices:001_smile:

Abeka phonics is going great so far

Edited by dyana17

We are using a vintage text, The Story of Rocks and Minerals for the Grammar Grades first published in 1907. Paired with a well stocked rock collection this book has been exactly what I was looking for. Of course, I do have to update some of the information. Somehow, I don't think that they use sheets of mica for oven glass anymore! The boys love this book. They have learned the composition of several types of rocks now, and one has collected more fossils in a few weeks than I managed to collect in a year. In our backyard! So far just shells, plant leaves and one nice tube of coral, but all the same.:001_smile:

(Source for Story of Rocks and Minerals was Google books, and it was free but for the ink. This is an old-earth book with evolutionary material for anyone interested.)

Just wanted to thank you for your earlier mention of the vintage book by Fairbanks. We are using his book Stories of our Mother Earth and loving it. I'll probably add in the Rocks and Minerals book for independent reading. Fairbanks' writing is very reminiscent of V. M. Hillyer. I would not have known about these books without your mention in an earlier thread.

Oh, and I'll also agree with your mention of KISS grammar. That was our hit for this year so far. We love it.

Just wanted to thank you for your earlier mention of the vintage book by Fairbanks. We are using his book Stories of our Mother Earth and loving it. I'll probably add in the Rocks and Minerals book for independent reading. Fairbanks' writing is very reminiscent of V. M. Hillyer. I would not have known about these books without your mention in an earlier thread.

Glad it could be of use. I like it so much. His style does remind me of Hillyer. I love being able to tell my boys to close their eyes and see the pictures he paints with words.

Misses: Delightful Dictation (the words are too complicated, I'll save it for later).

Hits: BFSU (kids love it, and I'm always pleased at how well the lessons go); CHOW; Math Mammoth (for eldest son to review concepts); Yo, Sacramento! (at a slower pace for DS9 & DS7), Minimus (DS7 LOVES him)

Biggest Hit: Home Geography for the Primary Grades (perfect fit for us - a short lesson with the kids discovering things, sometimes a bit of copywork)

I'm pleased with how well school is going (we are finishing week 4), despite a crazy schedule. Almost everything is working, at least on days I don't have a killer headache.

Glad it could be of use. I like it so much. His style does remind me of Hillyer. I love being able to tell my boys to close their eyes and see the pictures he paints with words.

Well, it was actually your mention of the similarity to Hillyer's writing that piqued my interest when it was first mentioned here. I love these kinds of books. The writing is so soothing and peaceful, and does not talk down to the child.

I'm not the only one!

DS (7) said this was the most boring thing we've tried yet.

It looked so good too. But, we've done so many of the experiments already, it's just not worth trying to do it, so we moved to Scott Foresman Earth Science and so far, with lots of additional reading options and going out (rock hunting, etc.) to do things, we're back on track for science!

I must admit, I have the same feelings. I don't know what I was expecting/thinking, but I feel like it's not enough.

HOD CTC .................................Hit! Love it!

includes R&S English..................Yuck...we returned to BJU English

includes Write w/the Best...........okay....don't hate it or love it

Apologia Zoology.......................dd loves this!

BJU Spelling 5...........................Hit because it contains dictation.

CLE Math .....HIT!

CLE Reading 4....okay...but I despise the set-up. There is no longer a duplicate copy of the LU's just

answers and it drives me batty. It makes it really difficult to go over the work. Even the

TM doesn't have it so unless I'm hanging over dd's head, I have no idea what she's doing.

I didn't return to BJU Reading strictly because I couldn't find a used version of 5. Too

expensive.

Hits:

BJU Science

HWT Cursive

PE Class

SOTW with activities

Art using a variety of books

Daily Read-Alouds

Gets the Job done:

Saxon Math (lessons are good, worksheets are really boring)

GWG (too much writing, but the continual review is great for DD)

Possible Misses:

AAS - we just don't seem to be advancing at all. While there is review, it just doesn't seem to be enough for my DD.

Music - just can't seem to get to it

Spanish - I don't want to teach it, but DD still wants to learn it.

WriteShop Primary B - very teacher intensive. It takes a lot of time with little reward so far. We'll probably try one more chapter and then see if anything needs to change.

Definite Miss:

Not being ready for this school year to begin. I feel like I am unprepared each day, which doesn't work out well with a DD that needs structure and energetic teaching each day.

About a month in....

Hits: FIAR, Word Ladders from Scholastic

Going fine: MM, FLL, Winning with Writing, Lollipop Logic

Surprise hits: Extracurriculars including homeschool gym class, dance, gymnastics--dd used to resist activities like this but now as a homeschooler she gets excited about them--yay!

DD's least favorite: ETC--I think she's getting sick of writing out words that seem easy to her. I think I'm going to let her do the exercises without writing until the last page of the lesson, then do the last page as a spelling test.

Considering adding BFSU, which I have, just not sure how to integrate this with FIAR.

New to us hits:

Truthquest American History for the Young Student (not 50 pages at our house though! More like 2 chapters, 20 pages at most).

Plato Learning Science (Middle School)

Life of Fred Math

Middling:

Teaching Textbooks Math 6

Dictation Day By Day (Kate Wagenen, available on books.google.com)

Old standbys:

BJU Math 2

BJU English 2&5

Explode the Code 6

Right Into Reading Book 2

World Around Me Science (WinterPromise)

WinterPromise readers, Amer history theme at both boys' levels

Meet the Masters Art

God Made Music

BIGGEST HIT:

scholaric.com online planning/record system--- THIS has made my life complete.

Edited by SnowWhite

Can I ask what you guys didn't like about the Horrible Science books? I have considered ordering them, but have been on the fence. Would love your feedback!

I will have to ask ds what he doesn't like about them. I think when I read one of the books with him, he was okay with it. At least, he didn't absolutely hate it.

For my part, the information is presented in such a cartoony way that it makes it less enjoyable to read. Also, there were quite a few details added in that felt like were there just to make it more interesting for kids. I'm not sure if I'm articulating this well. Ds likes many kinds of books, but I think not this kind so much. I think if he wanted a cartoon book, it wouldn't be about science. If he wants science, I think he'd like the information presented more directly.

HIT: McRuffy Color Math. We are using Singapore along with it but she always wants to use McRuffy first. It is a very nice program and I don't see it talked about much around here.

MISS: History Pockets and Lapbooks. Now that I know that neither one of us likes them it will be much easier to not feel guilty about not using them in the future.

I'm kicking myself now. I actually held the Fairbanks Stories of Rocks and Minerals in my hand at a library book sale. I debated getting it. I do love vintage books but ended up not getting it. Of course, if I go looking for it now, I'd probably find it online for $$$.:glare: I'll remember next time what you both said.

Oh, and I'll also agree with your mention of KISS grammar. That was our hit for this year so far. We love it.

Thank you both for mentioning these two books. Very excited to check them out with my daughter next week!

We love KISS Grammar, too.

Hits:

MUS - best thing ever for ds! :hurray:

PR - going smoothly

TT w/ LoF - good switch for dd from Saxon

CLE LA - easy transition from R&S for dd

MFW CtG - loving it!

Miss:

Writing Strands - we're switching to IEW

Le Francais Facile - we're now giving L'Art de Lire a try

Caesar's English - overkill w/ EFTRU scheduled in MFW (maybe later)

I'm kicking myself now. I actually held the Fairbanks Stories of Rocks and Minerals in my hand at a library book sale. I debated getting it. I do love vintage books but ended up not getting it. Of course, if I go looking for it now, I'd probably find it online for $$$.:glare: I'll remember next time what you both said.

Oh dear. (shivers) You had it in your hands? Back to the library sale, girl!

I tried this with dd9 when she was in second grade. I really wanted to love it. It was a definite miss here. Dd never developed an understanding of what she was doing, and she is definitely a language-oriented kid. FLL works much better for us.

Tara

I tried this with dd9 when she was in second grade. I really wanted to love it. It was a definite miss here. Dd never developed an understanding of what she was doing, and she is definitely a language-oriented kid. FLL works much better for us.

Tara

:iagree:

We tried this in the second grade as well, with little comprehension. I put it (KISS) aside until this year. We've been working with Sheldon's and Maxwell's grammar texts in the meantime. We've also worked with some of the Montessori grammar words (color-coded), and that has been very helpful too.

Finally, this year, a light bulb has come on for the little guy, and it's starting to click. He just needed time and also work with the basics to get to this point.

Hits:

Our schedule is running smoothly this year and I've seemed to be able to prioritize what needs to be done. :hurray: So, we're actually getting hebrew done. And after listening to the SWB writing stuff, I feel like i have a handle on how to teach that.

Most of our hits are things we've already been using. Still figuring out TOG, but I think it'll be a hit.

Misses: Writing Aids. Perhaps we'll use it next year or, I don't know. Maybe never? I should've saved my money. I bought the DE, so it can't be sold. Oh, well.

Hits:

Horizons Pre-Algebra

Thinkwell Grade 6 & 8 Math

Life of Fred Pre-Algebra with Economics (we do this weekly as a supplement)

Nancy Larson Science 3

Lightning Lit 8

Sadlier Vocabulary for Success (my 7th grader likes this, my 5th grader is happy with the "regular" Sadlier which is more straightforward)

Image Grammar by Noden

Painless Grammar

Jump In! writing program

Switched on Schoolhouse Healthquest (grades 4-7) both are doing it

Brainpop

Grammar Town

Jury's Still Out: History at Our House. So far I like it a lot, but we just started last week so it's too soon to tell how things are going overall.

Misses:

History -- America the Beautiful by Notgrass

Math Mammoth (gr. 5)

Easy Grammar 7

We don't have any misses, but Spelling Workout is probably low on the list of likable things (had to switch from AAS for time reasons and that was sad)

Biggest hit has probably been WWS for my 5th grader. He is not a confident writer and was DREADING starting to outline. WWS has made it SO easy for both of us, he's actually "enjoying" it (as much as a child who doesn't like to write can!)

For me the biggest "hit" is seeing my work in training my kids to be independent start to pay off. My 5th grader is working completely independent this year. We meet for an hour or so in the evening to go over/discuss things, but other than that he does all his work independently. This is huge for me since I have a lot on my plate this year! :001_smile:

MISS: History Pockets and Lapbooks. Now that I know that neither one of us likes them it will be much easier to not feel guilty about not using them in the future.

I am SOOO like this. I WANT to like Lapbooks. I've tried to like lapbooks. I even tried doing one with my son for the Middle Ages last year - we got about halfway through and just abandoned it. I love to see completed ones that others have done with their great covers, etc, but I'm not arts and crafty and I guess they just intimidate me.

I don't think we have any misses so far! However, we haven't started IEW's poetry memorization program or our typing program, and I still need to add a Spanish program (once I figure out which one to use). So, we might still have a miss or too yet.

Hits:

CLE Math and CLE Reading-- 2nd year that we've used them and we still love them

IEW SWI-A-- My girls are really liking this; they hated WWE and Writing Tales, so I'm very pleased

Sequential Spelling-- We still love this

Nancy Larson Science 3-- I debated about whether or not to call this a hit because I'm a little bit disappointed in it. However, it is actually getting done and my girls don't mind it, so I guess it is a hit! Science has been my homeschooling nemesis so far. :glare: NL Science is actually getting done and my girls are learning quite a bit.

Winterpromise American Story 2-- I know that WP has a bad rep (and I agree that the customer service is awful), but we have enjoyed their programs and this one is no different.

Beautiful Feet History of a Horse- My little equestrienne loves it!

Beautiful Feet Geography-- The girls love the stories. They aren't thrilled with all of the map work, but they tolerate it.

Extras (all of these are going fairly well):

Math Detective

Life of Fred-- Fractions and Cats

Singapore Challenging Word Problems

Reading Detective

Mind Benders

Balance Benders

Crypto Mind Benders

MCT is great, as is Cambridge Latin. MPH science is going well, too. Singapore worked last year and is working this year, as are PP and CTC logic materials. Cursive finally seems to have caught on. And the "Gold Star" Faber books are really nice-they're kind of the "SIngapore IP" books for piano-more challenging without pushing to the next level quite so fast.

I'm not quite ready to call SFC a miss, but I think my DD is struggling with the vocabulary more than she did in LFC. There have been times that she's had trouble with vocabulary and had to go to the chant to figure it out, when they're words that she has NO trouble understanding when she's reading in Spanish, or even when she's talking in Spanish. I do like the grammar, though-but I'm thinking it might take 2 years per SFC level as a vocabulary/grammar supplement to actual reading/conversational Spanish-and that therefore I need to find more good Spanish reading material for her. Something the equivalent of the old Open Court readers, only in Spanish, would be about perfect...

Hey Andrew is effective, but boring.

I don't think we've had any misses here.

Our favorite hits:

AAS - I've seen big improvements in my DD6's reading because of this (she's not guessing as much and is sounding out more)!

MIF: - we've really enjoyed this Singapore approach to math

SOTW - by far my DD's favorite. I just wish I had more time and energy to do more of the activities.

IEW's poetry memorization - really enjoying Level 1.

What we are loving:

The only thing that hasn't really worked out:

A Living History of Our World; living books a la Truthquest is working out much better.

I'm using this and am finding that I want to suplement it with living books I'm finding. Then I'm finding I'd rather just spend our time reading from those! I do think that I like her religious perspective more than some of the modern "puritans were closed-minded" books so I will use it - but I am using it less and less. It is turning out to be my topical schedule more than anything!

• 2 weeks later...

Fairly new to this forum, and a new homeschooling mom this year. But that being said...

Misses:

Apologia Astronomy - elemenary edition. WAY, WAY, WAY to advanced for my girls at ages 4, 5, and 6. I want to like it but it isn't working at ALL for us. Looking into Nancy Larson instead, but don't want to shell out the $$$ for it.

Shurley English Grammar- so far not a fan. We will see. The girls like the jingles, but not sure the rest is going to work.

Hits:

a modified SL D+E (got me looking into other SL cores!)

OM 1

Math Lessons for a Living Education

History Odyssey (again - this just works for us)

MBtP 7-9

Lively Latin - love this!

Grammar-Land

LOF Elementary (so far - we're still on Apples)

A lot of other things are working for us. I'm just not feeling particularly excited about them. They get the job done with minimal complaining, and we'll keep using them.

Misses:

McRuffy math - decided to switch middle ds to SM based on his lack of mental math skills

OM 5 history - This had some good stuff, but the SL is working better for us, and there is only so much time in a day.

Hits ~

Oak Meadow 2

Oak Meadow K

Not sure ~

A Living History of Our World (I actually really like it, but I might not have enough time for it.)

Singapore Math... dd loves it, but there are holes for us that I need to work on... still trying

What is WWS? I keep seeing this over and over and would love to know what it is! LOL

Hits for us:

Right Start B for my dyslexic and ADHD daughters.

Saxon 6/5 for my 5th grader { a huge shock because she has used MUS since forever and I always balked at using Saxon!} LOL

SOTW 3- using it with all the kids together makes history sooo much easier! They color their activity/color sheets while they listen to the CD or to me read aloud. Easy. And they remember the stories!

Classical Conversations: This is by far the biggest hit for my kids... the memory work, the geography {their favorite}, the science and art projects that we never get around to are getting DONE and they are learning so much! Even my 4 year old and my daughter with a language based learning disorder is memorizing and learning and having fun!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

AAR Pre-Level: My kindergartner loves this and loves Ziggy the Zebra! She is learning her letter sounds and the lessons are short and easy and multi sensory! We love the books too!

Misses:

Math U See for my son. He has struggled for awhile and I've resisted switching programs because you shouldn't jump around so much in math, but we are switching him now to Teaching Textbooks.

PAL Reading/Writing for my kindergartener. She is learning some of the sounds but struggles to remember them all as they are introduced way too fast! The pace is great for my 2nd graders but for her she is lost!!

Essentials: My 4th grade son {who may also suffer from dysgraphia} is struggling in CC Essentials class. Aside from his writing problems, he has Aspergers and the class environment can be difficult for him. Copying grammar charts and writing key word outlines are torture for him! He loves the mental math games in the class but that's about it and even then he needs more time than some of the other kids to figure out the problems. Trying to decide whether to keep him in that class or pull him out...

Right Start B for my kindergartner! The plan was to have her learn with her sisters, but she is lost and it is too much for her. We are switching her to Saxon 1 instead.

What is WWS? I keep seeing this over and over and would love to know what it is! LOL

Hits for us:

Right Start B for my dyslexic and ADHD daughters.

Saxon 6/5 for my 5th grader { a huge shock because she has used MUS since forever and I always balked at using Saxon!} LOL

SOTW 3- using it with all the kids together makes history sooo much easier! They color their activity/color sheets while they listen to the CD or to me read aloud. Easy. And they remember the stories!

Classical Conversations: This is by far the biggest hit for my kids... the memory work, the geography {their favorite}, the science and art projects that we never get around to are getting DONE and they are learning so much! Even my 4 year old and my daughter with a language based learning disorder is memorizing and learning and having fun!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

AAR Pre-Level: My kindergartner loves this and loves Ziggy the Zebra! She is learning her letter sounds and the lessons are short and easy and multi sensory! We love the books too!

Misses:

Math U See for my son. He has struggled for awhile and I've resisted switching programs because you shouldn't jump around so much in math, but we are switching him now to Teaching Textbooks.

PAL Reading/Writing for my kindergartener. She is learning some of the sounds but struggles to remember them all as they are introduced way too fast! The pace is great for my 2nd graders but for her she is lost!!

Essentials: My 4th grade son {who may also suffer from dysgraphia} is struggling in CC Essentials class. Aside from his writing problems, he has Aspergers and the class environment can be difficult for him. Copying grammar charts and writing key word outlines are torture for him! He loves the mental math games in the class but that's about it and even then he needs more time than some of the other kids to figure out the problems. Trying to decide whether to keep him in that class or pull him out...

Right Start B for my kindergartner! The plan was to have her learn with her sisters, but she is lost and it is too much for her. We are switching her to Saxon 1 instead.

Winning With Spelling?

Writing With Skill from Peace Hill Press. It is the follow up to Writing With Ease and is meant to be used at about middle-school level.

Well, we've only done 1 week of MFW Adventures, but I think we're really going to like this program. My kid's enjoyed it and they seemed to retain a lot of what we talked about this week. It was interesting and fun for me too since I never got to learn this way.:)

My DD is really enjoying Teaching Textbooks 3.

I think this is going to be a great year for us. I love the fact that we can do so much together since my DD is only 13 months older than my twin boys.