Menu

If someone is walking a dog on a leash on the sidewalk...

are you supposed to stop running?

If you're a kid are you supposed to stop running and walk?

If you are an adult jogging are you supposed to stop and walk?

Does the size of the dog matter?

What if you are playing on the grass next to the sidewalk and someone walks a dog by, are you supposed to stop all movement when the dog goes by?

What are the <unwritten> rules here?

Unfortunately there are no underwritten rules here because too many people do nothing to fully train their dogs.

They might train the dog to walk on a leash but not controllable.

If it was one of our dogs then you could continue on with your life as you see fit, running, jumping, skipping and singing(although my male might sing along). I feel that all owners should try to train their dogs and themselves in CGC, Canine Good Citizen to learn what it really means to have a dog who listens and obeys on a leash.

I'm going with a no on all of those.

The person who has the dog should have sufficient control of the dog. If they don't have sufficient control, then they should work on training until they do.

:iagree: My dog is large (lab/German shorthair mix) and she gets excited around people. When we walk I feel it is my responsibility to control my dog and move away from situations where she might jump or otherwise try to engage a passing person.

I've never had a dog. I've told my kids not to make sudden starts when passing by a dog so as not to startle it.

However, I was lectured last night because my kids were racing down the sidewalk at the same time someone was walking a big dog.

:confused:

ETA: My kids were running down the sidewalk. The person walking the dog was in that area between the sidewalk and the street.

Edited by Snickerdoodle

You should be able to continue on with life while the dog owner maintains control of their animal. That is what I have expected of my dogs.

Realistically, I try to quickly appraise the situation and if I don't feel the owner is in control, we cross away from the animal and walk without making eye contact.

I would blast an owner who expected us to accommodate his laziness in training.

If I were the runner, I would not stop running. I would maybe try to go out and around the dog/owner a bit though.

If I were the dog owner, I would stop walking and pull the dog to the side while the runner passes.

:iagree: My dog is not particularly well leash trained (meaning she tends to drag us to and fro to sniff all the wonderful foreign smells). On occasions when she is on a leash, I am conscious of others coming toward us and bring her appropriately close so she can't dart across the sidewalk and trip them. If she was inclined to engage passersby, we would stop and sit while they passed.

Speaking as a dog owner, theoretically a dog owner is supposed to maintain control of their dogs at all times. Unfortunately, a great many dogs have absolutely no training what-so-ever and their owners even less. I personally use caution around any unknown dog and teach my children to do the same. I am not comfortable trusting the safety of my children to what other people should do. It's not fair but a great deal of life is not. I would have given the owner an earful though. :glare:

I've never had a dog. I've told my kids not to make sudden starts when passing by a dog so as not to startle it.

However, I was lectured last night because my kids were racing down the sidewalk at the same time someone was walking a big dog.

:confused:

ETA: My kids were running down the sidewalk. The person walking the dog was in that area between the sidewalk and the street.

What?! :glare: That person needed a lecture of their very own. Kids are allowed to run outside. Around my house, it's the only place that they're allowed to run. If that person can't handle their own dog, then perhaps they need to put it in obedience school, or find a dog walker who can handle it!

FYI: I own a boxer now, and have owned a Lab, 2 great Danes, and a Doberman. I love big dogs. :D

I have wondered this myself!

My neighbor never moves her dog. We move into the street. It doesn't seem to even occur to her to move the dog.

Or, I've seen her stand there and watch her dog tangle itself around people. The people look dismayed and have to kind of twist around and bend over to get over the the leash...and she just keeps chatting away...

I would say no to all questions. The kids running and being kids can confuse a dog, but that is why a dog should be on a leash. As we are discovering, training a dog to handle it is all part of owning a dog. I usually take my dog to the side if a jogger is going by us, not because I am worried the dog will do something, but more as a courtesy so the runner doesn't feel intimidated. My dog wants to play with kids. He thinks that kids waiting for the bus is a party just for him and wants to join them. I think he would board the bus with them if he could.

Speaking as a dog owner, theoretically a dog owner is supposed to maintain control of their dogs at all times. Unfortunately, a great many dogs have absolutely no training what-so-ever and their owners even less. I personally use caution around any unknown dog and teach my children to do the same. I am not comfortable trusting the safety of my children to what other people should do. It's not fair but a great deal of life is not. I would have given the owner an earful though. :glare:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

And as a dog owner, I do appreciate people teaching their kids to be at least dog savvy enough not to run right at my dog.

And as a dog owner, I do appreciate people teaching their kids to be at least dog savvy enough not to run right at my dog.

I was actually coming back to add something like this.

Kids who deliberately run/rush at a dog on a leash b/c it seems to amuse them, usually while yelling, growling, or other extreme noise factors should be open for kicking, imo. I'm talking, running head on, right towards the animal, for no other reason than to be idiots.

I'm a dog owner with an active adolescent dog. When we first got him at 5 months old he lunged at everyone when we were out on walks. Now he rarely does -- only if he's really startled. It's called training. It is up to the owner to train and control their dogs. If I can sense my dog might lunge (if someone on a bike is coming up ahead very fast) I will take him to the side of the path and put him in a sit. No, it was not the responsibility of your children to not run on the sidewalk, although you may want to caution them to do that in the future because not everyone WILL control their dogs and your kids could get hurt. I'm sorry they encountered a jerky dog owner.

I think kids should not run by a dog that is not on a leash. I think that you can't trust dog owners to control their dog, so I would teach my kids to walk not run by any dog in order to be safe. But the owner should be in control of the dog. If you don't know the owner or the dog, then I wouldn't assume they are in control. I think there is a different between what you should be able to do and what you should do to be safe.

Edited by OrganicAnn

:iagree: My dog is large (lab/German shorthair mix) and she gets excited around people. When we walk I feel it is my responsibility to control my dog and move away from situations where she might jump or otherwise try to engage a passing person.

:iagree: Except we walk the neighbors dog for them during the day and don't actually have one ourselves. I have trained my children to make the dog sit off to the side of the path while joggers go by since we don't entirely trust the dog to behave and I consider it our responsibility to handle the dog, not the responsibility of other people on a public walking trail to not startle her.

As others have mentioned, while it isn't your responsibility to not run it might be prudent in some cases.

I run frequently on a local bike path where people walk dogs. I don't think my motions are quite as spastic and unpredictable to a dog as a child running, but I give everyone a wide berth. I wouldn't let my own children run and play near a strange dog, but I might be unusual in that regard. We have two 50 lb dogs who are tolerably trained but not perfect. I would never expect other people to move aside for us, and I monitor and try my best to avoid those kinds of situations.

If I had a lunger, I'd get a short leash and a good grip if I saw someone coming. If I came running around a corner and saw a dog and owner caught unawares, I'd swerve and slow. It would be great if every dog in the world was harmless, but they can startle, and they have fangs.

I have been sharp with a family that let their 5 and 9 year old run right up to my dog and pet it all over. She was FINE, but the next dog might not be. I mean, they were right in her face, and loud. What idiots.

IMO, the unwritten rule is that dog owners have their dogs under control no matter what passersby are doing.

A jogger should be able to jog. Children should be able to play.

Cat

:iagree:

:iagree: Or to raise their hand straight to the dog's head to pet it without

warning. I've had to educate plenty of kids, and adults, over the years.

You know, the only reason I know to tell my kids to avoid rushing a dog or to allow a strange dog to smell a hand before touching the dog is that I had a (gentle) dog when growing up. This was knowledge my mom passed on to me. But if I hadn't, I wouldn't have any idea this wasn't a good idea. This wouldn't make me an idiot, nor my kids stupid. We're cat people...mostly because I don't like the unpredictability of dogs in general. Any dog owner should assume inexperience on the part of unwary children, for the dog's and for the children's sake.

Barb

I'd say no to all under normal circumstances. The responsibility is with the dog's owner. Of course, if the owner is oblivious, then you / children need to protect yourselves, even if that means stopping / backing away.

If I were the runner, I would not stop running. I would maybe try to go out and around the dog/owner a bit though.

If I were the dog owner, I would stop walking and pull the dog to the side while the runner passes.

:iagree:

I move Captain out of the way if a runner or someone with another dog is coming at me on the same sidewalk, unless they move first. Otherwise I shorten the leash and keep walking. Captain is a friendly Lab. Most of his walks end up social calls for him, anyway, as folks know him and want to pet him, little kids ask to hug him (fine, but he may lick you!) and a few other dogs on our route want to play or have butt-smelling time! There is one lady walking three dogs at the same time and we do try to keep on opposite sides of the street - imagine the snarl of four dogs on leases!!!

This wouldn't make me an idiot, nor my kids stupid.

These people were bizarre. They had bizarre expressions on their faces (my mother would have something about mouth-breathing after we got back to the car.) They reacted by saying nothing to their children. They seem really dumbfounded by the fact that people (and people with dogs) have personal space and their children shouldn't be running up to strangers and getting that physically close to them. I already had my dog in close check, because I saw them running, but they were TOO close to anyone for politeness. Plus these weren't toddlers. It was a big strapping boy and I thought the kids were going to bowl us over they were charging at us so fast.

Okay, they weren't idiots, they were unsocialized cretins. Dog or no dog, I bet your school aged children don't run at strangers full pelt while screaming in excitement. There was nothing exceptional about my dog either. Standard, US issue mutt. Not worth greeting like the Beatles arriving in New York.

You know, the only reason I know to tell my kids to avoid rushing a dog or to allow a strange dog to smell a hand before touching the dog is that I had a (gentle) dog when growing up. This was knowledge my mom passed on to me. But if I hadn't, I wouldn't have any idea this wasn't a good idea. This wouldn't make me an idiot, nor my kids stupid. We're cat people...mostly because I don't like the unpredictability of dogs in general. Any dog owner should assume inexperience on the part of unwary children, for the dog's and for the children's sake.

Barb

I disagree, there is an inherent responsibility on parents and their kids, not all on the pet owner.

When a strange child(ren) is rushing at my dog from out of nowhere, and I call out, telling them NOT to do so, yet they ignore me, what are my options? Can I kick them? I *do* step in front of the dog, to physically block them from lunging into my dog's face, but there should be some common sense drilled into these kids by the parents to NOT approach a strange animal like a screaming freight train.

My dog is great with kids. Doesn't like strange adults around *her* kids though. Never ceases to amaze me the ppl that will ignore us when we tell them to stay back, that our dog will growl if you're too close to her kids. And then act as though she attempted to rip their face off b/c she does let loose a warning rumble.

Edited by Impish

I consider it my job to control my dog, which might mean wrapping the leash around my hand, so that he is held tightly at my side.

On the other hand, I've been bitten by a dog once. I move over if I'm unsure of an oncoming dog. I also carry a small spray bottle full of vinegar. If the dog comes close and seems aggressive, he gets a vinegar blast in the face. (I've never had to do this when there's an owner attached to the dog, but I have had to do it while an owner was watching his three big dogs come running out to the road growling and barking at me. AARGH!)

Thanks everyone for the great insights. The night of the running kids vs. dog incident, the dog didn't lunge or seem to get excited. The owner did step in front/side of the very large dog. I think it was more of an irritation at having been inconvenienced (or so it seemed to me).

My kids don't ever run TO someone's dog and they never pet other people's dogs. We've never had a dog and dogs are just not on our radar, really.

Barb

Personally, I feel that it is a parent's responsibility to pass on basic animal safety lessons. You don't approach strange dogs without permission. Actually, in our house, you don't approach strange wild or domestic animals without my permission and the permission of an owner if there is one. It's an easy rule to remember that covers a wide range of situations. We had a most-likely rabid raccoon in our yard last year. Other people may not have friendly animals or may just not want my kids pestering their animals. I don't blame them.

It wouldn't make a parent or child stupid to not know this...but I think it's a failure on the parent's part if they haven't attempted to educate their child on approaching strange animals.

Personally, I feel that it is a parent's responsibility to pass on basic animal safety lessons. You don't approach strange dogs without permission. Actually, in our house, you don't approach strange wild or domestic animals without my permission and the permission of an owner if there is one. Other people may not have friendly animals or may just not want my kids pestering their animals. ...

It wouldn't make a parent or child stupid to not know this...but I think it's a failure on the parent's part if they haven't attempted to educate their child on approaching strange animals.

In an ideal world, sure. But just like I drive defensively through a neighborhood, I would expect a dog owner to assume that children do impulsive and unexpected things. Not everyone understands that a cute dog on the end of a leash is possibly dangerous if startled. Not even an adult if that adult didn't have experience with dogs as a child. My point was, a dog owner cannot assume that basic knowledge. We had a dog for about 3 years. He was an old guy when we found him, and very gentle. I would always tell children who looked like they were going to approach him, "You can pet him, but please let him sniff your hand first because that is how a dog gets to know you (Big smile)." No need to get irritated. Children are attracted to animals. Wanting to pet an animal is not pestering. If my dog was snappy, I wouldn't be taking him where I knew there would be crowds.

Barb

I disagree, there is an inherent responsibility on parents and their kids, not all on the pet owner.

Again, think about the car analogy. The primary responsibility lies with the owner of the potential danger. If you are driving an automobile through a neighborhood (or a college campus), it is your responsibility to drive slowly with a foot ready to brake in case someone darts in front of your car. Sure, parents should teach kids to respect cars and look both ways before entering the street, but kids are impulsive. If you hit a child with a car, you pay dearly (financially and emotionally). You drive knowing full well that you could hit someone with your car. A dog owner should take the same attitude and precautions. You cannot assume knowledge or self-control on the part of the child.

Barb

These people were bizarre. They had bizarre expressions on their faces (my mother would have something about mouth-breathing after we got back to the car.) They reacted by saying nothing to their children. They seem really dumbfounded by the fact that people (and people with dogs) have personal space and their children shouldn't be running up to strangers and getting that physically close to them. I already had my dog in close check, because I saw them running, but they were TOO close to anyone for politeness. Plus these weren't toddlers. It was a big strapping boy and I thought the kids were going to bowl us over they were charging at us so fast.

Okay, they weren't idiots, they were unsocialized cretins. Dog or no dog, I bet your school aged children don't run at strangers full pelt while screaming in excitement. There was nothing exceptional about my dog either. Standard, US issue mutt. Not worth greeting like the Beatles arriving in New York.

LOL, okay :lol: Point well made, and taken. Obviously, owning a dog for three years was not enough.

Again, think about the car analogy. The primary responsibility lies with the owner of the potential danger. If you are driving an automobile through a neighborhood (or a college campus), it is your responsibility to drive slowly with a foot ready to brake in case someone darts in front of your car. Sure, parents should teach kids to respect cars and look both ways before entering the street, but kids are impulsive. If you hit a child with a car, you pay dearly (financially and emotionally). You drive knowing full well that you could hit someone with your car. A dog owner should take the same attitude and precautions. You cannot assume knowledge or self-control on the part of the child.

Barb

The situations I'm referring to would be akin to someone running out into traffic against the light, or lunging out deliberately from btwn parked cars. Not typical, normal behaviour, but deliberately aggressive. If a kid runs into a busy street, against the light, its a tragedy if something happens, but not the fault of the driver when the kid has no earthly business being there, kwim?

Drivers *do* assume that ppl will obey traffic laws, that someone won't just suddenly decide to run out in the middle of traffic against the light.

Really? I just don't see it that way. I live in a city. It is the owner's responsibility to train the dog to behave around lots of people (who all act differently). If the dog is so antisocial then they aren't in the right place.

Although I do tell my kids not to pet strange dogs. But there is pestering and then there is "you are a kid and you are running by minding your own business". I thought that is what the OP was asking.

Pet owners can only do so much. Teaching a kid not to rush up to a strange animal while shrieking/yelling/growling and trying to get right up in its face is simple common sense. Really.

I realize that this was not the case with the OP, but it came up earlier in the thread.

Really? I just don't see it that way. I live in a city. It is the owner's responsibility to train the dog to behave around lots of people (who all act differently). If the dog is so antisocial then they aren't in the right place.

Although I do tell my kids not to pet strange dogs. But there is pestering and then there is "you are a kid and you are running by minding your own business". I thought that is what the OP was asking.

In an ideal world, sure. But just like I drive defensively through a neighborhood, I would expect a dog owner to assume that children do impulsive and unexpected things. Not everyone understands that a cute dog on the end of a leash is possibly dangerous if startled. Not even an adult if that adult didn't have experience with dogs as a child. My point was, a dog owner cannot assume that basic knowledge. We had a dog for about 3 years. He was an old guy when we found him, and very gentle. I would always tell children who looked like they were going to approach him, "You can pet him, but please let him sniff your hand first because that is how a dog gets to know you (Big smile)." No need to get irritated. Children are attracted to animals. Wanting to pet an animal is not pestering. If my dog was snappy, I wouldn't be taking him where I knew there would be crowds.

Barb

I'm just looking at the ideal world/owner responsibility issue from the other angle. I don't personally expect everyone to be dog savvy, but I'll repeat strongly that it is a parent's responsibility to teach their children not to approach strange animals. Your (generic you) children should know that it isn't safe to approach any animal they come across. My goodness, wasn't there just a thread or two about biting dogs?

My dogs would be fine. One would be very pleased and the other would be trying desperately to escape. My second dog has absolutely no fear aggression, but he would be a fifty pound puddle of piddle if a few children came up to pet him at once. Neither of my dogs are dangerous. Children walking up to us uninvited would be inconvenient. I would not be angry. My dog would survive. I'm alert for it, and very worried that they might try to do the same thing in a far more dangerous situation. I try to handle it gently on the rare occasions where it comes up.

I look at teaching this to my children as "defensive driving" on my part. I'm also doing that same defensive driving when I'm walking my own dogs. I just don't trust anyone! :D

The situations I'm referring to would be akin to someone running out into traffic against the light, or lunging out deliberately from btwn parked cars. Not typical, normal behaviour, but deliberately aggressive. If a kid runs into a busy street, against the light, its a tragedy if something happens, but not the fault of the driver when the kid has no earthly business being there, kwim?

Drivers *do* assume that ppl will obey traffic laws, that someone won't just suddenly decide to run out in the middle of traffic against the light.

So, to meet in the middle, dog owners should assume that not everyone is as well versed as they are on animal behavior (ie: reaching out to pet a dog without permission is not aggression, but ignorance), but a child who lunges at a dog full-tilt and accidentally bops the dog on the nose should expect a warning nip. Is that what we're saying?

Barb

For the last few months I went running along a canal in the UK most days. If you know anything about the UK, you might know that a lot of dogs get taken for a lot of walks. In the vast majority of cases I could tell by the way the dog owner reacted what the dog would do. If they weren't worried by me I just kept running. If they clutched the lead and dug their heels in I slowed down and made a wide arch around them.

Depending on the age of your kids you can teach them to look, otherwise it might be wise to teach them to be a bit careful for their own sake, not because of what other people might think.

As both a dog owner and runner/walker I think you should just carry on with what you are doing. Be aware of the dog, but carry on. We always move our dogs to the side of us that the other people are not. It's easier for everyone. When jogging, I am not going to stop just because someone is walking their dog. They should be able to control their dog so that I can pass. I would not expect kids to have a clue about doing anything different while running around a dog. That's the dog owner's responsibility.