Menu

everyone should homeschool?

I was checking out another homeschool message board that is decidedly more conservative than this one. On one of the threads, a couple of people said that if you really wanted to be at home with your kids, that you could. I took it to mean that those who claimed they wanted to homeschool but couldn't because of jobs, health, etc. were just making excuses. What do you guys think?

I think that many people who kind of want to homeschool but don't put many things as a higher priority. They want to, but having 2 cars and a big home are more important to them, for example.

But, to think that anyone and everyone could if they really wanted to is pretty short sighted. Lots of people make excuses, true, but some people truly can't.

I think "everyone should" is a good beginning to a debate topic but rarely applies to real life.

Edited by nmoira
errant comma

I did think similarly in my early years. I did think that virtually all children benefit from homeschooling and virtually all families can/should homeschool.

I don't think that anymore. Pretty much the total opposite.

Many children do very well in schools, be they public, private or some other version. Some families do very poorly as homeschoolers. Homeschooling is not as idiot-proof as I thought in my early years. :tongue_smilie: There are some idiots, I've found.

At the heart of the statement you describe is pride. It's the type of thinking that believes, "Well, if all *those* people would just do this correct thing, like *I* do, then they would have wonderful children, too." It's a lie.

Are there those that could hs successfully but choose not to for a myriad of reasons? Sure.

Are there those that genuinely are not suited, either by personality, child's personality/needs, family structure, etc? Absolutely.

All things simply do not work for all families or individuals.

I recently watched "The Lottery" about impoverished innercity families in NYC hoping to get their children into a public charter school (that enters children by lottery). The parents were acting like this was their children's only hope at a decent education.

But there was an interesting scene where one man was coaching his young son on counting and simple addition. I'm sitting there thinking, why the heck doesn't he just homeschool? (As it turns out, I don't believe the son made it into the lottery-- I think only one of the featured families did.) The dad had some health issues so perhaps that would have inhibited his HSing his son, and he appeared to be unemployed (so home anyway, though the film didn't get into details), but I do believe, where there is a will there is a way. I really do wonder why some families who say they are so distressed over the state of public schools don't simply opt to homeschool. This goes for both rich a poor families-- families fighting to get their 4 year olds into 25k/ per year elite preschools (why not hire a tutor and co-op with other families??) and parents in innercity neighborhoods despairing over the violence and illiteracy in the public schools. We were zoned for a stereotypical failing innercity school (90% free lunch, large ESL population, failing test scores) we did try putting one DD in for a year, but ended up voting with our feet and HSing. But no one else ever seemed to even consider it. I have to say, I really don't get it.

Okay, stick with me here, :001_smile::

I think that anyone who is interested in homeschooling and willing to set the priorities to do it, can do it. Maybe they will need help or guidance or a mentor. Maybe they will rely on a curriculum in a box, or find a tutor for a subject that they have trouble with, but except for extreme cases I don't buy the "I just could not do that' reasoning.

BUT: (ha, you knew this was coming right?)

1. Not everyone is interested or willing to set the priorities

2. It doesn't always work out, even if you are interested, homeschooling is not the ideal for every child or family

I have homeschooled for 15 years and belonged to many different support groups and co-ops in three different states. There have been plenty of families that in my opinion should have just gone to public school :glare:. But that is just my opinion, I am extremely uncomfortable when non-homeschoolers talk about who can or can't homeschool. All those remarks that start with "Not you, of course, but xxxxx" :001_huh:

So yeah, anyone can. Whether they should is another whole can of beans.

I just watched that movie two nights ago. I think they didn't mention homeschooling because it would have distracted from the message of the documentary. It also is not practical in a struggling community when adults NEED to be able to work. The mom who had Eric Jr. and the other little boy was awesome at doing enrichment activities with her kids. I believe both parents worked and didn't have funds for private school.

Christian's dad, the one you mentioned, had no knack for educating children. Did you see his poor son cry when his dad was quizzing him on his addition facts? The dad just demanded answers and didn't actually do teaching (and this was with the camera on him). That dad was not prepared to homeschool at all. Even when he tried to help his kid with directions (draw a box around the rabbit) he didn't check his son's work and notice that his son didn't do it correctly.

I think, if you wanted to HS, almost anyone can. I know a single Mom who homeschools her children. She works a regular job and they just don't have a M - F 9 - noon, 2 - 4 schedule. They are unique. She wanted it for her family, so she did it.

I know people who do it fully for free. So $$ wasn't an issue for them and their kids are getting an incredible education.

I think if you want to, you can (barring any health reasons, etc). I think most people could by that definition.

I think more people should than do. And I will leave it at that.

I think it is a narrow minded view of the world. It is not just "Oh, if they were willing to be a 1 car family. Oh, if they would just live more simply. Oh, if they only had their priorities right. Oh, if they really wanted to do it then the father would go get a job that provides health insurance rather then relying on moms job." There are a myriad of valid reasons why a family would choose not to homeschool just as there are a myriad of reasons why a family would choose to do it.

I'll be honest, this kind of thinking does get my knickers in a twist. I don't like being judged for my decision to homeschool and I am not about to judge someone else for choosing not to homeschool. It is a personal decision that every family makes for themselves.

It reminds me of when I was pregnant with my first and my friends mother was horrified that I was going to be putting my baby in daycare for strangers to raise. She made no bones about telling me how she thought mothers should just do without things and stay home with their babies. I looked at her and asked if she thought the things my baby should do without were food and shelter and which one did she think we should do without so I could stay home? That is the choice I had at the time unless, of course, dh and I were willing to move miles away from family to where the cost of living was less expensive. Our priority was that our children should live near their cousins not far away from extended family just so I could be home with them.

Edited by kewb

Okay, stick with me here, :001_smile::

I think that anyone who is interested in homeschooling and willing to set the priorities to do it, can do it. Maybe they will need help or guidance or a mentor. Maybe they will rely on a curriculum in a box, or find a tutor for a subject that they have trouble with, but except for extreme cases I don't buy the "I just could not do that' reasoning.

BUT: (ha, you knew this was coming right?)

1. Not everyone is interested or willing to set the priorities

2. It doesn't always work out, even if you are interested, homeschooling is not the ideal for every child or family

I have homeschooled for 15 years and belonged to many different support groups and co-ops in three different states. There have been plenty of families that in my opinion should have just gone to public school :glare:. But that is just my opinion, I am extremely uncomfortable when non-homeschoolers talk about who can or can't homeschool. All those remarks that start with "Not you, of course, but xxxxx" :001_huh:

So yeah, anyone can. Whether they should is another whole can of beans.

Here, you are addressing actual education. But how about financial issues?

I don't believe for one minute that everyone can homeschool, if only they make it an absolute priority.

Sixteen years into this escapade of homeschooling, I hold the same viewpoints. Homeschooling is not for every child, nor is it for every parent. In a perfect world, we provide our children with whatever is best for each one, even if that means private school for one, homeschooling for another, public school for yet another, private tutor for another, . . . Funding rarely is available to provide "perfection"; however, the needs of the child AND the needs of the parent must be honored and balanced as far as is possible.

That applies to the "should" question.

If the question is "can" any parent homeschool successfully, I would speculate that most probably "can". Again, though, not all "can".

but I do believe, where there is a will there is a way. I really do wonder why some families who say they are so distressed over the state of public schools don't simply opt to homeschool. ...I have to say, I really don't get it.

Some parents may believe that they do not have the education themselves that would enable them to teach their children. Yes, I know, not everybody has to be a college graduate - but if parents are barely literate, they will not be able to homeschool. Some may not even speak English. They typically have no idea that there are resources to use for homeschooling if you are not an expert at the subject. And they may not be able to afford them.

Some families can not see how they would do without the income of the SAH parent (or the single parent) Yes, there are jobs where you can work and homeschool - but not everybody can find one of those. And finding and paying for childcare during working hours is impossible for many families.

And then don't forget that many people have never encountered homeschooling close-up. I had my kids in public school because I did not know that this option existed! If you do not know any homeschoolers, it is hard to make the decision to homeschool - because you can not fathom how this could possibly work.

onc I was sufficiently frustrated with school to be desperate for options, I could research the topic, because I have an education that enables me to do such things, and a computer on which to find out stuff, and, most of all, the confidence that I will be able to homeschool once I decided to. People lacking education, resources and confidence will not even get started.

Perhaps one should not be that quick to judge.

"Everyone should"???

One size does not fit all.

I can imagine several reasons why somebody would be unable to.

I can also imagine several reasons why some parents should definitely NOT homeschool their children.

And it irritates me whenever somebody believes that what they are doing to be superior. Who gets to say what other people "should"?

No, not everyone can, or should, homeschool.

I don't believe that everyone is suited for it. I've heard parents say they would go crazy if they had to spend as much time with their kids as I do. I can understand that because there are times when I just MUST have a break from the small people attached to my hip 24/7. I know my mother would never have been okay staying home with us for any length of time. She was fine as a SAHM until that entailed caring for more than one child around the clock-- it was just more than she could handle. Adding the responsibility of educating us would have pushed her over the edge.

I think if someone really WANTS to do it, they can find a way. We're homeschooling on the uber-cheap here to make it work. I know a single mom with a full-time job & full custody of three littles that makes it work by using K-12 for her daughter's main curric, and supplementing with what she feels is most important.

I think that many people who kind of want to homeschool but don't put many things as a higher priority. They want to, but having 2 cars and a big home are more important to them, for example.

But, to think that anyone and everyone could if they really wanted to is pretty short sighted. Lots of people make excuses, true, but some people truly can't.

And there are some who shouldn't. The parents might be morons (I say this only because I live a couple of houses down from those :D) or the family life might be damaging and any escape from it for the kids is essential.

I did think similarly in my early years. I did think that virtually all children benefit from homeschooling and virtually all families can/should homeschool.

Many children do very well in schools, be they public, private or some other version. Some families do very poorly as homeschoolers. Homeschooling is not as idiot-proof as I thought in my early years. :tongue_smilie: There are some idiots, I've found.

At the heart of the statement you describe is pride. It's the type of thinking that believes, "Well, if all *those* people would just do this correct thing, like *I* do, then they would have wonderful children, too." It's a lie.

:iagree: I was young and radical. I remember an older homeschooling mom telling me she went through that too but that generally she found the longer folks homeschooled the less radical they became. I think I probably thought she was bonkers and that I would NEVER change my radical views.

Ha.

Some people really can't. Some people really shouldn't. Some people really don't want to and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people kind of want to but are conflicted about it and have difficulty figuring out the logistics. Some people really want to but just can't find a satisfactory way to make it work for their specific life situation, which is nobody's business anyway.

"Everyone should"???

I can also imagine several reasons why some parents should definitely NOT homeschool their children.

And it irritates me whenever somebody believes that what they are doing to be superior. Who gets to say what other people "should"?

:iagree:What she said.

Not everyone wants to. And that is why we have public and private schools. And having a public school education is not the end of the world.

Personally, I don't want my kids to be exclusively homeschooled. I could give a list of reasons (none of which are a criticism of homeschoolers, just personal preference). But I won't.

Even if I wanted my kids to be exclusively homeschooled, I am a single working mom, so it's not practical, at least until my kids are old enough to have a job (or something to do all day without adult supervision). It has nothing to do with having two big gas-hog cars. (Now this is where some people will say "well, you qualify for an exception" - but since the rule isn't valid, I don't want or need an "exception" to it.)

I'm homeschooling for specific limited purposes, likely for a limited time. I think my kids will be just fine.

Some people really can't. Some people really shouldn't. Some people really don't want to and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people kind of want to but are conflicted about it and have difficulty figuring out the logistics. Some people really want to but just can't find a satisfactory way to make it work for their specific life situation, which is nobody's business anyway.

:iagree:

I also think some kids do better in ps.

Also, I don't buy that you can do homeschooling well if you just try. If that type of thinking worked, I'd be a millionaire!

Anyone that actually believes this might be leading a sheltered life. The reality is that bills have to be paid. Not everyone has a spouse. Even if they do, that doesn't always mean they can afford it either. There are ways to work around this by working from home or different shifts. However, it's not always available. I think people should be grateful that they have the ability to homeschool and leave it at that. Going down the road of judgement towards others is a slippery slope!

I agree with those that said not all can, and not all should either. I will say there is in fact an element that doesn't want to admit that things and status in the PTA do prevent them from even giving an objective evaluation of their Childs needs... And whether or not the current situation is truly best. (and frankly, that door swings both ways... Ex: parents identity is so entwined with homeschooling, they can't be objective about other possibilities either).

Here, you are addressing actual education. But how about financial issues?

I don't believe for one minute that everyone can homeschool, if only they make it an absolute priority.

It is true that actual education and the finances required are different kettle of fish. :001_smile:

I will say for the average family (ha, I know that doesn't exist) it is possible if they are really committed. People can do amazing things and come up with all kinds of options to do something they think is really important. I'm not sure I would be willing to live in a tent in order to homeschool but I know many families that do make huge sacrifices.

If someone places a high enough value on something (I'm not placing a value on what they choose) people can swing almost anything. Lots of parents make tremendous sacrifices to provide health care to an ill family member, others disrupt their entire lives to support an Olympic level athlete.

I am not saying families should give up everything else in order to homeschool. I am saying that I have seen some ingenious solutions in families that felt they really needed to.

Note that I said average family. There are always exceptions to any statement.

I had an epiphany about 9-10 years ago about how far people can push when they have to. (Again, homeschooling may not be a dire need for everyone but it might be critical for some) My dd had a serious chronic illness (ITP), we spent part of her 6th grade summer in chemo therapy. We had great insurance but not everyone does. I heard moms calmly discussing losing their homes if they needed to. I am still humbled today at the kinds of sacrifices I saw. My dh also sacrificed by keeping a job he hate, hate, hated but had insurance. He turned down his dream job (start up with no insurance) that summer.

I hope that if I felt homeschooling was necessary for my kids future or for their mental health, I would do whatever it takes.

In a way we did, I choose to not work and give them a solid elementary and high school education. I do not have the college funding that some of my friends do, I think it was worth it.

I'm sorry if I am babbling. I hope this make sense. If it doesn't please let me know.

I was checking out another homeschool message board that is decidedly more conservative than this one. On one of the threads, a couple of people said that if you really wanted to be at home with your kids, that you could. I took it to mean that those who claimed they wanted to homeschool but couldn't because of jobs, health, etc. were just making excuses. What do you guys think?

I would hope they just meant that if any parent decides they were truly meant to homeschool, then be encouraged that it can happen even if it means a change in lifestyle. I would like to think it was along the lines of, "Hey, you really, truly are prepared in your heart and mind to homeschool but you think it will be too hard to live on one income or work part-time? You are afraid your health will interfere? You can do it! We overcame this by ..."

But I am aware that some people feel that homeschool is the only good option and some feel that the mom should stay at home and homeschool. I just don't believe that my kids will have a perfect life if we homeschool.

But I have also heard it said, not necessarily in conservative circles, that any homeschool is better than public school. And I suspect that if we decided to send any of our kids to school that we'd be accused of making excuses or being blind to the inferior nature of all public schools. I was asked, by a curious mom of child in a public school if I agreed with that view. I still believe that there are bad and good experiences in home, public, and private schools.

We were meant to homeschool this year and we love it. Next year may be different, although I hope we still are doing as well as we seem to be. But I know that one of my friends is making just as good a choice by sending her kid to a public school.

Nicely stated. :iagree:

I think, if you wanted to HS, almost anyone can. I know a single Mom who homeschools her children. She works a regular job and they just don't have a M - F 9 - noon, 2 - 4 schedule. They are unique. She wanted it for her family, so she did it.

I know people who do it fully for free. So $$ wasn't an issue for them and their kids are getting an incredible education.

I think if you want to, you can (barring any health reasons, etc). I think most people could by that definition.

I think more people should than do. And I will leave it at that.

We have quite a few single moms on this forum. :)

Leeann, I'm forever running around after my dd asking her to check her perception of what's going on.

To ask the original posters additional questions on their view might help some and it could be far off from what your original perception.

You could be right, you could be wrong, the truth of the statement might be somewhere in the middle..who knows?

Asking for further clarification could take you a long way in really understanding what the poster meant by that comment.

I don't know that I'm adding too much to this discussion, but...

I think that more people than believe they can could homeschool if they had the desire. In other words, yes, there are financial, psychological and cultural barriers to homeschooling (in other words, the loss of income, the fear that you can't do it and the pressure not to do it from your community), but I think a lot more people could overcome them (even the financial ones) than believe they can. As homeschooling becomes more popular, I think the psychological and cultural barriers to doing it are being torn down and people are seeing that homeschooling is possible in a lot more situations than they might have initially believed.

But, should everyone? And are is the financial barrier something anyone could overcome? That's preposterous. I think pretty much everyone in this thread is in agreement on that.

I do think that more people should homeschool, not because I want less kids in school, but because I think a lot more people would like to homeschool than currently are but just don't feel like it's practical/feasible.

But I absolutely do not think that everybody should homeschool. In fact, I'd probably say that homeschooling would not be beneficial for the majority, maybe the vast majority, of children and families.

What I think is that every parent should understand that the education of their child as their responsibility. To me that means either homeschooling or very conscientiously delegating that job to someone else that is trusted.

So, I do not necessarily think people sell their children short by sending them into a classroom, but I do have a very serious problem with how many parents see educating their child as someone else's responsibility.

This has become a societal problem. The responsibility has largely been relegated to the state and many people accept that as the status quo.

One of the reasons I am a BIG supporter of some kind of voucher system, is not primarily because competition is good for schools, but because I believe the power of guardianship over a child's education should be in the hands of his or her parents.

I don't homeschool because our schools have offered most of what we want. This year especially, everything is outstanding. We have had good experiences with other kids for the most part, too. Of course, having said that, now I've probably just jinxed myself!

I'm supportive of homeschooling, too. People should do what they feel is best for their family and circumstances.

I find that kind of thinking to be narrow, scripted, privileged, and ignorant.

I probably shared some of it in earlier parenting years.

Anyone that actually believes this might be leading a sheltered life. The reality is that bills have to be paid. Not everyone has a spouse. Even if they do, that doesn't always mean they can afford it either. There are ways to work around this by working from home or different shifts. However, it's not always available. I think people should be grateful that they have the ability to homeschool and leave it at that. Going down the road of judgement towards others is a slippery slope!

I managed to homeschool in spite of solo-parenting, single parenting, having 1-3 outside jobs, owning a daycare, un-or-underemployment of a DH.

There were times, right here on this board, when the attitude respresented in the OP's query presented. I was told that "homeschooling others" took away from homeschooling - and shouldn't be done. (We've since had period threads in which this same sentiment has been reiterated by some). I was told that running a daycare while homeschooling is not advised.

The staunch SAHM can add to it. The is little support for WOHM for its own sake in a significant portion of SAHM advocates.

It reminds me of my graduate school. There is a HUGE emphasis on culturally competent counseling in the psychology/counseling profession. I heard 2 professors in my last 2 years say "yes, we need to understand a variety of cultures, but in the end, we are all still human with the same feelings, problems, and attitudes." BOTH of those professors were white, middle aged. ;)

:iagree: I was young and radical. I remember an older homeschooling mom telling me she went through that too but that generally she found the longer folks homeschooled the less radical they became. I think I probably thought she was bonkers and that I would NEVER change my radical views.

Ha.

I used to have a sig line that read "So alternative, I can't see normal from here". My user names had to do with my mothering/homeschooling identity: milk4three, Happy Homeschooler, etc.

I read Mary Pride (:tongue_smilie::confused:). I took my passion, care, and focus and directed it into a narrow, scripted, ignorant, and judgmental perspective.

Life happened. And life happened again. And I've emerged less arrogant, less assumptive, less scripted.

I've seen kids, and families, thrive and also not thrive, in a variety of styles. I wish them ALL well.

What I think is that every parent should understand that the education of their child as their responsibility. To me that means either homeschooling or very conscientiously delegating that job to someone else that is trusted.

So, I do not necessarily think people sell their children short by sending them into a classroom, but I do have a very serious problem with how many parents see educating their child as someone else's responsibility.

This has become a societal problem. The responsibility has largely been relegated to the state and many people accept that as the status quo.

One of the reasons I am a BIG supporter of some kind of voucher system, is not primarily because competition is good for schools, but because I believe the power of guardianship over a child's education should be in the hands of his or her parents.

:iagree: Very well put!

"Everyone should"???

:iagree:

This is pretty much how my perspective has changed. In the beginning, back when I knew it all -- when my oldest was two years old, LOL ;) -- I thought that all decent parents would homeschool, if only they loved their child enough. Like I did. :tongue_smilie: Home was the best place for any child to be.

Duh. I have changed. I don't believe HSing is "right for everyone." In fact, it's probably not the best choice for most families.

Now I'm simply thankful that at the moment, it's working for us. Humility replaced pride, and judgment gave way to gratitude. HTH.

I don't think that everyone can and not everyone should. Not all children thrive or are suited to homeschooling..same with parents. It all depends on the situation.