Menu

What are you reading and loving right now?

I just finished The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (LOVED IT!) and am now starting The Man Who was Thursday by GK Chesterton. Both were recommended by people and I'm so glad I stumbled across the recommendations because I would have never read them otherwise. So what are you reading and loving right now?

I am reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. Sounds kind of odd to be enjoying a book about atom bombs, but it did win a Pulitzer so it isn't as bad as it sounds. There's a lot of science (I'm wading deeply through that part - seems to be just beyond my intellectual grasp and the author does attempt to explain things for those of us who don't find nuclear physics easy to understand:)), history (which is fascinating since it is much more in-depth than your average history book), and biography (my favorite part!). It is amazing to get a peek into these scientists' actual lives - their temperaments, world views, family lives, etc. I'm about half way through which means I only have about 400 pages to go.:tongue_smilie:

I am reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. Sounds kind of odd to be enjoying a book about atom bombs, but it did win a Pulitzer so it isn't as bad as it sounds. There's a lot of science (I'm wading deeply through that part - seems to be just beyond my intellectual grasp and the author does attempt to explain things for those of us who don't find nuclear physics easy to understand:)), history (which is fascinating since it is much more in-depth than your average history book), and biography (my favorite part!). It is amazing to get a peek into these scientists' actual lives - their temperaments, world views, family lives, etc. I'm about half way through which means I only have about 400 pages to go.:tongue_smilie:

We have that sitting on our shelves and every few years DH decides he's going to read it. He'll try for a week or two and then I'll quietly put it back on the shelf for him. :001_smile:

We have that sitting on our shelves and every few years DH decides he's going to read it. He'll try for a week or two and then I'll quietly put it back on the shelf for him. :001_smile:

:lol::lol: Well, if you're dh hasn't got a scientific sort of mind, it may get sloggy for him. I just decided to read that part and not worry that I wasn't getting it. Never gonna happen. Amazingly, it is still an interesting book.

Kathleen, the atomic scientist book sounds very interesting.

I just flew through Becoming Odyssa, about a girl who walked the Appalachian Trail alone after graduating college. Going way back to the time I was a pre-teen, I've always enjoyed reading books by people who've walked the AT, across the US, etc. I especially liked this book as she reminded me very much of my daughter.

Over the weekend, I read To Destroy You Is No Loss about a Cambodian family under Communist rule in the 1970s. It was an amazing book but I had to get it through ILL.

Harry Potter #5. (Isn't that a perfume?)

:lol:

Oh my word, I just got "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell from Amazon yesterday and I'm on page 84. It is so fascinating. Love it. Can't wait to get back to it!

:iagree:

I like detective and/or legal dramas.

Me too. :)

I prefer John Grisham's older stuff, but also like James Patterson (though I haven't read him in a very long time).

Right now I'm reading I Still Dream About You. Fannie Flagg is one of my favorites.

I-Still-Dream-About-You-905276.jpg

I'm reading What the Dog Saw right now, and I've already finished his other three books. I'm a Malcolm Gladwell fan!

major_in_the_universe.png

:lol: I have never read any of his stuff, but then someone recommended "Outliers" and someone else was talking about "Blink" so I thought I'd better pick it up and see what the fuss was about. Poor DH couldn't get anything done last night because I kept saying, "Honey, you gotta listen to this....":D

I'm just finishing The Clockwork Universe by Edward Dolnick. It's a fascinating story about how Isaac Newton and others brought us modern science. I'm not a math-science person but I loved how he showed the culture that these scientists lived in and how it affected their work. Besides being informative, there are just so many moments I laughed out loud reading it. I'll definitely be putting this on a required reading list for my kids to read when they're older.

I just finished Bleak House by Charles Dickens. LOVED it! lol! I only started reading it b/c dh and I were looking for free kindle books and he was laughing about the title, saying why would anyone start reading something called that. So I took up his challenge ;).

We just finished watching the BBC version of this and loved it. There is an interesting article on wikipedia about it as well. Perhaps I'll read the book now.

I just finished Bleak House by Charles Dickens. LOVED it! lol! I only started reading it b/c dh and I were looking for free kindle books and he was laughing about the title, saying why would anyone start reading something called that. So I took up his challenge ;).

My sister is doing a really cool production thing on Bleak House this year in New York City. It will be done as 4 mini plays in some quaint bars throughout the city.

I just finished The Help, and I loved it! My BFF and I are going to see the movie tonight.

Nicole

I read In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin a couple of weeks ago and found it really fascinating. Written about the Ambassador to Germany pre-WWII. Very enlightening. I learned a great deal of the posturing of the nations before WWII. I wasn't sure I would like it...even though I love history...but I did!

The Help is a great novel. At first, I was put off by the maids' written dialects with no corresponding dialect for the women hiring the maids. During that time period, most everyone would have a strong accent, even with a college education.

But, it is a great look at the Deep South during the time.

I read In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin a couple of weeks ago and found it really fascinating. Written about the Ambassador to Germany pre-WWII. Very enlightening. I learned a great deal of the posturing of the nations before WWII. I wasn't sure I would like it...even though I love history...but I did!

This sounds very interesting - I just put it on hold at my library. Thanks!

Yes, I read this last week too! It was pretty good, even though this is not a time period nor subject that particularly interests me.

The Help is a great novel. At first, I was put off by the maids' written dialects with no corresponding dialect for the women hiring the maids. During that time period, most everyone would have a strong accent, even with a college education.

But, it is a great look at the Deep South during the time.

I'm almost halfway through The Help!

Going to see the movie with my oldest daughter next week. Must. Read. Faster. :lol:

Right now I'm reading Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg. This is my second Flagg book. I started them based on some recommendations from friends and am really enjoying them.

In the last couple of weeks I've read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Geography of Bliss and adored both of them!!

This week I read:

Twilight Breaking Dawn

Shanghai Girls - Lisa See

Honolulu - Alan Brennert

The Shack - Young

and, Seize the Night - Dean Koontz

and that's all :001_smile:

I love Lisa See. Have you read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan? It is amazing!!!

I'm reading What the Dog Saw right now, and I've already finished his other three books. I'm a Malcolm Gladwell fan!

major_in_the_universe.png

Which one of his books did you enjoy most? And which would be best for a lively discussion among wine-swilling women??? :D Our book group will read anything, and I would like to choose non-fiction for my next selection.

TIA!

Which one of his books did you enjoy most? And which would be best for a lively discussion among wine-swilling women??? :D Our book group will read anything, and I would like to choose non-fiction for my next selection.

TIA!

I think Outliers is the most popular of his four books, and probably the most fascinating. I can't tell you if it would work for a book club, because I've never been in one. I'd love to find some wine-swilling women to discuss books with! :001_smile:

I read Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison this summer and loved it. Now I'm reading Beloved, and haven't been loving it, but it's getting better. I finished The Ditchdigger's Daughters a few weeks ago and I think it's one of my favorite books ever. When I'm driving, I've been listening to Decision Points by George W. Bush. At first the reader's voice was annoying because it seemed like he was trying to sound like Bush, but he doesn't. But I've gotten used to it.

When I'm driving, I've been listening to Decision Points by George W. Bush. At first the reader's voice was annoying because it seemed like he was trying to sound like Bush, but he doesn't. But I've gotten used to it.

I'm in the middle of reading Decision Points. It is very interesting and puts some things into perspective.

I just finished Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset.

ETA: I'm reading The Mysterious Benedict Society to DD7. We're both completely hooked!

Edited by ChrisB