Menu

Laundry detergents: best and worst?

I've started couponing and reconsidering brand loyalty, etc. I see that I can get Purex for a reasonable deal ($1.49/32 load), but I don't know how good it is. I've googled "best laundry detergent" and keep coming up with Tide, but is there really enough difference to justify the cost? Are there some detergents that make your clothes last longer, especially in keeping the color? Are there some detergents that you wouldn't buy at any sale price?

Any thoughts or advice?

I use Ultra Sun Free and Clear and LOVE it! It really does get everything clean, especially using the Earth Friendly Products non chlorine bleach powder alongside it (EFP is cheaper than Oxyclean). For the life of me I just can't understand how people can walk around smelling like their laundry products :confused: That smell is transferred to every.single.thing it comes in contact with, sometimes for days :001_huh:

I don't think there is a "best" or a "worst."

I've been using Amway laundry products since 1975. They are the only products that Mr. Ellie did not react to. Possibly there are other brands that we could use today, but I've always been so pleased with Amway I don't see the need to try anything else.

I've had old top loaders, new front loaders, new top loaders, hard water, soft water..I still see the same clean clothes. And I had the whitest cloth diapers of all my friends. :D

I've always used cheap stuff, because, well, it's cheap. But after having to buy a little thing of Tide to try and clean up some tough stains/smells on a baby item I had bought used, I realized that there IS a difference. Clothes that had been stained for months were suddenly clean when I used the Tide! I was shocked!

I still can't justify the cost of Tide alone, but I do mix. I do 1/2 Tide and 1/2 cheapy detergent to save money.

I always used ALL free and Clear liquid when I had a top loader but when I got my front loader I didn't want to use liquid (because I knew I would spill it and get the drawer all gummy). I tried a bunch of different ones and end up with lots of grease stains on my clothes. I tried Tide and my grease stains mostly disappeared. So I've stuck with Tide but I only use a heaping TBSP per load. Since one box lasts me 8-10 months Tide is now both cost effective and efficient for me.

This thread is making me re-think buying the cheap-o brand. I've been using Sun. But the mention of the grease stains brought to mind that dd has a lot of shirts, nearly new, with stains. Why grease? I have no idea! :confused: I haven't used Tide in years but I do love the way my mom's clothes smell and would love to get rid of those grease stains. Hmmmmm.

Tide, hands down! Like a previous poster said, it gets stuff clean. It's the only thing my mom used (and we were always poor) and it's the only thing we'll use. I've tried other stuff but they just don't compare.

I even use it on my cloth diapers, even though it's not recommended. But I've used the same diapers for years with no problems and they look clean and smell clean. I've bought used diapers, that came not as described, dingy, stinky, and one wash in Tide and they are white again and no stink.

FYI- Big Lots just had Tide for really good prices. I bought all that was HE to stock up, because it was such a good deal. You might want to check them in the next couple of days, they don't always carry the same stuff for long.

Wow, ok! Interesting about Tide! Is Gain the same thing only cheaper? (I've read that it is??) I hadn't considered making my own, but I might.

Adding another question: Is HE for a specific type of machine or can/should I use it in my 19 year old Kenmore top loading machine?

This thread is making me re-think buying the cheap-o brand. I've been using Sun. But the mention of the grease stains brought to mind that dd has a lot of shirts, nearly new, with stains. Why grease? I have no idea! :confused: I haven't used Tide in years but I do love the way my mom's clothes smell and would love to get rid of those grease stains. Hmmmmm.

Dawn dishwashing liquid gets the grease out!!! We had a MAJOR problem with mystery grease stains---and someone mentioned Dawn and I tried it...and it worked.

I have always used Tide HE Free & Clear and have always been pleased with the results. I do have Costco's Kirkland HE Free and Clear to try once this bottle of Tide is finished...will keep you posted on what I think! I have found many of the Kirkland items to be identical to brand name items, so we will see!

Wow, ok! Interesting about Tide! Is Gain the same thing only cheaper? (I've read that it is??) I hadn't considered making my own, but I might.

I can use Tide, but not Gain because Gain makes my middle son break out. (my mother-in-law said the same thing happened to my father-in-law) What I use most of the time is All Small and Mighty. The only problem I have with staining is the ink on my husband's work clothes. Tide detergent does not remove it, but the Tide stain remover packets do help.

Well, we've tried everything, from the cheapest to the most natural to making our own to the most expensive. Tide worked the best by FAR. However..they changed Tide recently, to a new Ultra version that I swear doesn't work as well. I bought out Big Lots of the old kind for my diapers, and switched to the Kirkland Signature brand from Costco for everything else. it looks like tide, smells like tide, and seems to work like the old Tide. It does have a strong smell, but doesn't seem to cause any of us reactions. And I'm known to get itchy from other brands, like Gain.

If cheap is what you want, and you don't have sensitive skin issues so don't need detergents designed for that, use Dawn Dishwashing liquid. I've been using it for almost a year based on the advice from a frugal mom-of-17 friend who's been using it much longer than that and we have found that it works great. You use just 1 tsp. per large load.

I've started couponing and reconsidering brand loyalty, etc. I see that I can get Purex for a reasonable deal ($1.49/32 load), but I don't know how good it is. I've googled "best laundry detergent" and keep coming up with Tide, but is there really enough difference to justify the cost? Are there some detergents that make your clothes last longer, especially in keeping the color? Are there some detergents that you wouldn't buy at any sale price?

Any thoughts or advice?

Haven't read all the responses yet but just wanted to say that I LOVE Purex and HATE Tide! Tide makes my clothes smell like mildew....yuck! I especially love the Purex with the orange lid and you really cannot beat the price.

Doesn't it suds a lot?

Dawn

If cheap is what you want, and you don't have sensitive skin issues so don't need detergents designed for that, use Dawn Dishwashing liquid. I've been using it for almost a year based on the advice from a frugal mom-of-17 friend who's been using it much longer than that and we have found that it works great. You use just 1 tsp. per large load.

Doesn't it suds a lot?

Dawn

No more than laundry detergent. I've looked and it's not all sudsy like when filling the sink for dishes. No Brady-Bunch-type problems! (Was that the show where suds were overflowing the machine and they couldn't get it to stop?)

Someone gave us a couple boxes of Gain laundry soap. I was so appreciative, but it made me realize just how much I dislike powder detergent, even though that is typically the cheaper choice.

With that being said, before I received the powder detergent, I was making my own and loved it!!!:001_smile: If I can at all help it, I will not go back to buying laundry detergent. The only thing I miss is the scent; however, I know I can add my own. I just haven't in the past.

I really would like to find a recipe for making my own dishwasher detergent as well. I haven't looked very hard, but I heard they are out there.

I think my homemade averages .03 per load. I love it. I will never go back to buying if I can possibly help it. I spend aprox. $10 per year on laundry detergent.

Dawn

:iagree::iagree:

If you use a good bar soap like Fels Naptha, then the grease stains come out.

Higher priced detergents contain optical brighteners. They aren't good for the water, and they are just a smoke a mirrors trick to make you think your clothes are especially clean.

Not only that, but somehow we have been led to believe that if our clothes smell like the perfume in the detergent that that equals clean.

Now, don't get me wrong, I miss nice smelling detergent sometimes, but that didn't make them "fresh" or "clean" as the commercials claim.

Dawn

:iagree::iagree:

If you use a good bar soap like Fels Naptha, then the grease stains come out.

Higher priced detergents contain optical brighteners. They aren't good for the water, and they are just a smoke a mirrors trick to make you think your clothes are especially clean.

We have hard water. We use Tide HE and love it. I buy and sell most of the kid's clothes at a second hand store, and they take almost all of them because they still look nice when we are done. I think it pays off for us to use Tide due to this alone. I don't worry about my kids clothes almost every stain comes out with the Tide. My dds both get their clothes very, very dirty. DD12 with art projects and dirt. DD4 with sweat food and dirt. I don't pretreat, but I do put their laundry on a soak cycle when I wash it. I, like others, only use 1/2 of the amount of soap recommended on clothes.

I know some brands use optical brighteners, but honestly the clothes don't just look cleaner....the stains and spots are gone with Tide....they really are cleaner. I have tried other brands, but never get the same results.

I have tried Kirkland's detergent but wasn't impressed. I may try it again sometime, as products do change.

For the poster who asked, HE=High Efficiency. It is made for front load or other high efficiency machines. It suds less than other detergents and is more concentrated for the machines that use less water to wash clothes. You can use it in a regular machine, but since it can cost a bit more that regular detergent...it isn't necessary.

I use homemade and I'm very happy with it EXCEPT I have the same problem with JUST grease stains and ONLY on DHs shirts. I think I'll try going back to tide for his shirts only and see it that makes a difference, or if the recent round of polo shirts are just made of stupid fabric :-/

Someone gave us a couple boxes of Gain laundry soap. I was so appreciative, but it made me realize just how much I dislike powder detergent, even though that is typically the cheaper choice.

With that being said, before I received the powder detergent, I was making my own and loved it!!!:001_smile: If I can at all help it, I will not go back to buying laundry detergent. The only thing I miss is the scent; however, I know I can add my own. I just haven't in the past.

I really would like to find a recipe for making my own dishwasher detergent as well. I haven't looked very hard, but I heard they are out there.

Ive had excellent results with my homemade laundry detergent (except DHs grease stained shirts) but I could not get good results with homemade dishwasher detergent even after adding salt and lemonade.

What does Tide have in it that the others don't?

Dawn

I use to use the cheap stuff until I attended a few school science fairs, where comparing laundry detergent is a popular project, and switched to Tide and haven't looked back.