Menu

Have you ever drugged a kid who didn't need it on purpose?

Have you ever drugged a not-sick kid on purpose?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you ever drugged a not-sick kid on purpose?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I voted "no," but I have medicated my dss with autism under psychiatric care. I don't think that's the same as medicating someone who isn't sick because emotional and behavioral disorders do indicate a physiological need in the brain.

I think it's easy for people to judge and think 'I'd never drug my child' without knowing how hard it is for the parents who have to make that decision.

Our ds was MISERABLE before we tried psychoactive meds. We'd tried supplements and cognitive therapy and physical therapy and speech therapy . . . etc. And he SCREAMED bloody-murder when blood tests were ordered. I could talk to him about what was coming up and tell him why but his TERROR was uncontrollable. And his depression . . .

Sigh.

Yes, I consulted with his physician before we planned to take our first ever plane trip to visit relatives, including many our dc had never met. Yes, I had a prescription in my purse. Not to make it easier for me. It is not easy to know your ds cannot handle life. That he experiences agony or great fear.

I posted about our trip in '09. He was anxious, but he managed without the medication. I told him I had it and he could let me know if he needed it.

JME

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The first time I heard of this practice was when we took our four (at the time) to Vegas for my sister's wedding and one of her friends remarked that she could never handle such a thing with her children without the assistance of Benadryl, I was :confused: I had never heard of such a thing. A couple of years later after my son was born we had a friend staying with us for a couple days and ds wasn't going to sleep easily and she told me her sister would have had the Benadryl out already. My sister has also made comments in regard to using Benadryl for similar reasons with her dd. All these instances seem to be for the convience of the parents and I don't think it's right.

No, although he does get seasonal allergies, and I do give him benadryl, and I do make it a point to only give it before bed. But not to lull him to sleep on a plane ride or something. It helps him sleep better if it's sleepy but it isn't a magical sleeping pill.

I've never had to take him on a plane but if I did, I might talk to our pediatrician about safe ways to keep him calm. He is an extremely boisterous little boy and talks in an extremely loud voice (and without a filter) about every little thing.

I actually did it. Not to my own kids, I didn't have any at the time. I was 14 (or was it 15?) I gave my youngest sister a dose (just one) of Dimetapp when I was babysitting. I have no earthly clue now why I did it. I only did it that once and never did it again.

Never have done it to my own kids, I don't like giving them meds!

Funny how that works.

Sadly, I voted yes. Our pediatrician told me to give our ds benadryl for a plane ride when he was a baby. Seemed odd to me but I was a new mom and just didn't know so I trusted him. He was an older man who had been in practice for ages. Maybe age had something to do with it?

Our kids have been on loooong overseas flights...two of my children suffer from horrendous ear pain...I know that benadryl is not prescribed for it, but knowing they could rest through the pain made me feel a lot better...our kids have only had benadryl, tylenol or aleve...may not be the recommended purpose but it worked for us!

Nope. I have used Rescue Remedy or other homeopathic remedies with kids who needed settling, but I have never used a medication on my kids for something other than its intended purpose. I rarely medicate my kids. When my oldest was little, he went totally nutso on Benedryl for an allergic reaction, so it would never have worked anyway.

Too many of you are confusing symptoms (stress, fatigue, sleeplessness) with actual illnesses. If your kid is not sleeping, don't drug him. Take him to the doctor to find out if there's a physical problem. Not sleeping is SYMPTOM of something else wrong. If not physical, try a psychologist or other natural therapies before shoving drugs down his throat. Humans sleep by nature, it's part of survival. Not sleeping isn't a medical illness, it's a symptom of a variety of things.

:rolleyes:

So you don't take tylenol for an occasional headache, or ibuprofen for a strained muscle?

Not when they were young.

My kids always traveled well and slept well, so it was never something to consider.

In recent years I have given them Calms Forte when we were dealing with particularly stressful events and they had difficulty sleeping.

No, but I gave my 3-year old a teaspoon of apple juice in a small cup and told him it would make his tummy feel better. Poor kid was begging for medicine, but Tylenol wasn't going to do anything for a stomach bug, obviously. It settled him down to get a couple hours of sleep before throwing up in his bed.

Too many of you are confusing symptoms (stress, fatigue, sleeplessness) with actual illnesses. If your kid is not sleeping, don't drug him. Take him to the doctor to find out if there's a physical problem. Not sleeping is SYMPTOM of something else wrong. If not physical, try a psychologist or other natural therapies before shoving drugs down his throat. Humans sleep by nature, it's part of survival. Not sleeping isn't a medical illness, it's a symptom of a variety of things.

Again, just my opinion. :)

Sometimes the reasons are entirely clear and 'shoving drugs down his throat' (in our case a homeopathic anxiety and stress reducer, Calms Forte) to help a child or teen get some rest is a reasonable choice.

When my mom was nearing the end of her life and her illness was becoming stressful for all of us, we each used homeopathic remedies at one point or another. In such a situation, I'd make the same choice again.

Pain relief for an injury is hardly the same thing as taking drugs to mask a symptom of a larger illness.

I have not heard one parent, who has admitted to doing this, advocating that.

Help a child through a rough patch while simultaneously pursuing other treatment options, yes! I choose to think better of most parents.

Edited by simka2

Guest submarines

DD is a terrible sleeper, even now. The only time I half seriously considered drugging her, I was also convinced that she'd be that kid who'd have the opposite reaction.

Guest submarines
:rolleyes:

So you don't take tylenol for an occasional headache, or ibuprofen for a strained muscle?

Very, very rarely. Once every couple of years. Telenol is not as harmelss as one might think.

I've used Tranquil Child and Rescue Remedy which are a homeopathic remedies.

Our pediatrician prescribed Benedryl for my older son when he was younger for his eczema, not because it helped the eczema but to help him sleep through the itchiness.

I voted no because we would never use drugs to get one to sleep, but I just realized there could be another aspect. Youngest and I both use Sudafed to dive (scuba) as it helps our ears adjust better. We never use it to dive if we're sick and we're both completely aware of our choice, so perhaps "no" was still the proper response?

Yes, I have given my kids Dramamine on overseas flights, even my middle one who doesn't usually get sick. I doubt many of the no answer people have done an overseas flight with 3 kids under 5 by themselves.

I answered no because I haven't done it but I could see myself doing this. DS is an obvious extrovert and gets SO WIRED when he's around people that he would make everyone miserable trying to stay awake. If we were on a long flight like that I might consider it.

It depends upon what you mean by, "not sick."

DD is a puker. She will puke if she is 2 degrees above her normal temperature so if I notice a teeny fever, she's dosed with Tylenol.

Normally, I'd let a fever go but she pukes. And pukes. And pukes. And she's is developing a pathological fear of puking. And so am I!!!

So I seem pretty ready with a Tylenol bottle.

And once when the kids were both terribly ill with diarrrhea and puking for days, we went for phenergen. I think I possibly used one it or two days longer than we technically needed it because I needed them to STAY DOWN and get better. And once my kids feel better, they are running all over the place until they well, puke again.

It's the puke fountains here that cause problems. :D

Yes, I have given my kids Dramamine on overseas flights, even my middle one who doesn't usually get sick. I doubt many of the no answer people have done an overseas flight with 3 kids under 5 by themselves.

I have never been on any kind of airplane and neither have my children.;) Isn't Dramamine intended for that kind of thing anyways. Now that I think about it I do not think I have ever even purchased any over the counter children's meds other than Tylenol, and ibuprofen.

I answered no because I haven't done it but I could see myself doing this. DS is an obvious extrovert and gets SO WIRED when he's around people that he would make everyone miserable trying to stay awake. If we were on a long flight like that I might consider it.

I didn't read the thread before answering, guess I am a crazy psycho bad parent.

My son has a lung disorder for which be receives daily meds. Aside from that, my kids are rarely mediated. But, for me it was worth it to make sure they didn't get sick and that they slept at least part of the flight. Half of a children's chewable Dramamine is extremely unlikely to do them harm.

:iagree:

Or had a kid with a sleep disorder.

For those of you freaking out about an extremely rare dose of a very safe medication, you do realize that your kids are at far, far greater risk every time you get in the car, right?

:iagree:

Or had a kid with a sleep disorder.

For those of you freaking out about an extremely rare dose of a very safe medication, you do realize that your kids are at far, far greater risk every time you get in the car, right?

No kidding. Sheesh.

Now, I *did* know a mom who was dosing her kid with Benadryl every night when her dh was deployed. I talked her out of it and gave her some other strategies for dealing with bedtime, but that is not what most people here are talking about.

Yes, I have. Most nights, I'm home alone during bedtime and many nights, all night with the six kids. Enter a stomach bug. I had 4 kids who aren't feeling well and throwing up and 2 very active night owls who were extremely cranky b/c they needed to go to sleep.

Drug them because it is easier? Absolutely. I gave my 1 & 3 year olds melatonin to go to bed (not early but on time) so I could take care of my other 4 who were throwing up.

I was about to answer no but I realize I did do this a few months ago with oldest. We were on vacation and she came down with a bad sore throat and cough. I did give her one extra day of Triaminic even though she hadn't really coughed all day. The previous few nights she hadn't slept well because of the cough and I gave her the last dose because I thought it would help her to have a good night's sleep before our long road trip home the next day. She woke up the next morning feeling better than she had in days and our trip home was fun for all.

My youngest (and oldest too, but this only applies to youngest) has a bleeding disorder, and we've had a summer where he has had to get a LOT of IV injections (at times every 18 hours). I do it all at home and we use a butterfly needle and he gets stuck every time if he doesn't have a peripheral IV in place. I did use Benedryl 30 minutes before each time I gave him his meds because it calmed him down for the stick.

He's just 5 and hasn't had to have much during his life...just this summer (he broke his arm and had surgery).

Benedryl wasn't medically necessary per se, but I wouldn't do it to him any other way. It was also recommended by his hemophilia nurse.

I hadn't thought about antinausea meds. I have not used them with my kids at all, but I remember my parents giving us all gravol before a long car trip just in case kwim. I can see doing that next summer when I take the kids on a trip. The longest trip we have had was 5 hours and no one got car sick but the one next summer will be 15 hours.

I have used melatonin with my kids, but as it was under the supervision of their ped to help set their sleep cycles, while we worked on treating other issues I did not count it in this either.

Benadryl for naps on long car trips? Absolutely. If I'm the only driver with 6 kids on a 2K trip, the toddler needs to take a nap. Some of you are totally overreacting.

Yeah, I agree as long as we're talking about a mild substance like diphenhydramine (Benedryl), and purely in the sense of occasional use.

If you use it frequently, however, it can dry out and harden mucous in the sinuses, and actually cause or contribute to sinus and ear infections.

I've given my ds Benedryl a few times over the years for things like poor sleeping and once for a long car trip. However, my ds also has mild eczema and some allergies, so he often has itchy skin and nasal drip. So, Benedryl is almost always beneficial for him anyway.

However, I'm not sanguine about gratuitous use of most drugs, especially acetaminophen (Tylenol). Tylenol should never be used for anything but a legitimate medical reason, and even then, with caution. It is quite toxic to the liver. Granted, the liver regenerates itself, but the point is, the drug is very hard on that organ.

Btw, the ONE time my hubby travelled with the kids without me? He did not give them Dramamine and ds threw up the *entire* flight from Honolulu to Dallas. *insert evil laugh, and immediate guilt*

But dramamine is meant to be taken to prevent motion sickness, so I don't think that's what this poll is about since it's the intended use. Maybe I'm wrong?

But dramamine is meant to be taken to prevent motion sickness, so I don't think that's what this poll is about since it's the intended use. Maybe I'm wrong?

Well, the post calling people (unbalanced? Insane? I forget the particular epithet) names implied that giving meds to cover symptoms was wrong. Also, the article specifically mentioned plane rides. So, I felt like it fit the parameters given.

I am not surprised about the drugging of kids. I have an R.N. relative who allegedly routinely drugged her tots with prescription meds to make them sleep.

Now that's just scary.

My SIL, a nurse, offered DH some heavy-duty prescription painkillers of hers when he had a run-of-the-mill headache. She was offended when he said he *couldn't* take drugs not prescribed for him due to regular drug testing at work. I wonder if this sort of attitude toward prescription drugs is common among nurses? That's a topic for another thread, if any, though...

I gave ds dramamine for his first plane ride when he was little. It was our first long trip of any kind and since I get motion sick I was afraid he might too. Now that he is older and can communicate better I know he doesn't, but at the time I wasn't taking any chances.

I do give him dramamine now to knock him out when he has a migraine. It stops his vomiting and lets him sleep off the worst of the headache. He has seen the approrpiate doctors and had the appropriate tests, and all they say is "Poor kid, it's tough having migraines so young". :glare: Sympathy is all well and good, but I want him not to suffer.