Menu

If you had a choice, where would you like to live?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love where I am now in the San Francisco Bay. Sometimes I do imagine returning to West LA, but that honestly is a better area for DINKS than families. I do miss the beach--Nor Cal has a gorgeous coast but not so many beaches and the water is too cold most of the time.

What I'd really like to do is either utilize a motorhome and travel all over the US for a few years, staying in various places for a month or more, or else move to various states for 6 months or so apiece and then move to another and just continue doing it that way through many parts of the US.

But, alas! The need to remain local to run dh's businesses gets in the way of that fantasy. I haven't written it off, but I don't see it happening while we're dependent on his income.

And if the stock market keeps tanking, that may be for the next hundred years.

For now, right here in North Texas suits me fine - even pregnant in the heat :001_smile:

For later, when the kids are grown and on their own, I would LOVE to travel with DH in a motorhome like others have said. Go from place to place just seeing and doing. There are so many places I want to see, and not just for a short vacation!

The Central Coast of California! Hands down. We've been pining away now for 16 years to live there again...but alas, it's still too expensive :glare:

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Born and raised there, all our family is there, but alas still a little too expensive for us to get back, not to mention near impossible to find a job.

But beautiful and perfect weather!!!!!

In the US I would choose the West Coast anywhere.....most of CA, OR, WA that is actually ON the coast line, not inland.

I would be packed up by next week if DH would agree. Sigh. We have been here 6 years. I agreed to TWO!

Dawn

England

Italy

France

Czech Republic

Hong Kong

Tahiti

Iceland

I love your list Kimmie, because it's so similar to what I would want. :lol: We've been lucky enough to live in Hong Kong, and I've spent months in England, Italy, and France. Would love to get to the Czech Republic & Iceland, but I don't know about living there since I've never been. Tahiti it too tropical for me to live there, but otherwise, I like what you said. :tongue_smilie:

A few years ago we had a choice to move anywhere and we chose the Colorado mountains. I love it and this is where I want to be. It's beautiful and lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. I wouldn't be able to stand crowded places, so this suits us perfectly. It's in a central location so DH can fly anywhere in the US without too long of a flight.

We are thinking of getting a winter home in Florida, but I wouldn't mind a beach house on the West Coast either. Maybe in a few years...

I would be right here, in the dunes of Lake Michigan.

But I would probably head to Florida or Hawaii for winter - we did that last year for just 2 weeks and it made such a difference!!

Our falls are spectacular. Summer is spent wet from swimming in the big lake, the little lakes, or tubing down the river. And spring is fun because it's neat to watch it unfold. A white Xmas is essential for us. January is fun becuase it's perfect reading weather. End of February can be brutal. That's all. :D

We noticed our first trees changing a couple of days ago and the kids are still squealing about the punkins! :lol:

Hard choice. I used to live near Bend, Oregon and it really was perfect. There was rafting, hiking, biking, skiing, or you could drive to Portland for big city fun. The beach was also doable in a day. I loved it there and miss it, but moved "home" to be close to DH and my family while the kids are young.

ETA: Central Oregon/Bend would meet your criteria for non-humid, not too cold, and within a days drive to the ocean. Real Estate is dirt cheap right now over there, too.

That said I also love Colorado, and would love to have a cabin somewhere in the mountains. Our family would be within a days drive which isn't too bad.

Maui would also be nice. Really nice. Too bad it's impossible for DH to get a job there!

I do love Oregon, when I am old enough and can afford a house of my own, I might consider living there. Colorado is my #1 choice, then Oregon and California, they are all so nice.

Thank you all for the replies, it is neat to see where everyone wants to live or is enjoying where they are living now. :)

There's so many places I haven't been that I think I might like--New Zealand, Scotland, and more so I can't say for sure. Out of the places I have been, though, I think I'd like to be in the Northwest--Washington or Oregon, near the coast. Beautiful.

Yes I do have to agree with you, I love the west coast, funny because I grew up on the east coast.:tongue_smilie:

We like Miami, FL.

Pros: No state income tax, warm weather, DisneyWorld, beaches, home school-friendly, free FLVS, great public university (UF) that's cheap compared to other state univ., relatively reasonable housing compared to other metros.

Cons: too hot in summer, terrible highway/transit system, too much Spanish (have to drive into Broward County to shop), one of the worst states for public education, too expensive home owner's insurance (because of hurricanes).

I wouldn't mind living in Texas - probably similar to Florida.

Edited by Sandra in FL

A few years ago we had a choice to move anywhere and we chose the Colorado mountains. I love it and this is where I want to be. It's beautiful and lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. I wouldn't be able to stand crowded places, so this suits us perfectly. It's in a central location so DH can fly anywhere in the US without too long of a flight.

We are thinking of getting a winter home in Florida, but I wouldn't mind a beach house on the West Coast either. Maybe in a few years...

Oh, yes, and I want to live in the mountains. I have had enough of the beach, thank you very much!

I'd buy back my great-great-grandparents' Idaho homestead (with the original 1920s barn!) and live there. It was just sold out of the family in the last few years and it makes me sad. My great-uncle still owns another early 1900s family farm in the area, though.

I love your list Kimmie, because it's so similar to what I would want. :lol: We've been lucky enough to live in Hong Kong, and I've spent months in England, Italy, and France. Would love to get to the Czech Republic & Iceland, but I don't know about living there since I've never been. Tahiti it too tropical for me to live there, but otherwise, I like what you said. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, I'm not a fan of the heat, so I had to put Iceland right after Tahiti! : ) I added Tahiti for its beauty, but I would have to have some relief from the temps. Hong Kong can be warm and humid, too, but I absolutely LOVE that place. I haven't lived there - just worked there and mainland China for weeks on end many times throughout each year once upon a time in another life. Hong Kong has everything I love - mountains, water, a vast mix of culture, all the pluses of big city life with pockets of sheer natural gorgeousness popping out when you aren't expecting it. And since the water is all around, I never felt boxed in by the city.

I wish my dh was as adventurous as I am. I would be somewhere on my list if he only was!

You sound like you live a wonderful life!

Edited by kimmie38017

Guest Rituparno Ghosh

I love hilly areas and its climate. I would like to age gracefully and peacefully there. Right now I'm in the suburbs surrounded with noise and pollution.

Just speak with "Johnny", dear lady! SUrely he can come through with these for you:D

Of course my beloved would do that for me if I only asked. I don't want to take advantage though. I love him for himself, not his money. :D

Abroad - Malta

OMG, I forgot about Malta! I love Malta!!! That was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. It was also really inexpensive (the bus to the other side of the island was $0.23 per person!) and they speak English.

Look at the water!

DSC_0151.jpg

The Central Coast of California! Hands down.

:iagree:

We were eating lunch outdoors today at our library cafe and remarking on how perfect the weather is ... mid-70s, clear, blue sky, NO humidity, and NO bugs. I still marvel at the lack of bugs and humidity -- I grew up in Buffalo, and love it there, but I seriously think the humidity would kill me now. I've grown soft out here :D

But yes, it's not cheap. People who move away write back excitedly about what a big house with LAND they've bought elsewhere ... but when they try to come back later, they're priced out of the market ...

I've also lived in Switzerland, Germany, and Austria. Loved the winters! I've also spent big chunks of time in England and Korea -- Korea is TOO humid in summer, but I'd love to live in England. Could not live in Arizona (in-laws are there) or the deserts of CA -- much too hot.

Somewhere safe.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Right here. We live among rolling farmland, fifteen minutes from the beach and an hour from the mountains. The climate is cool but, due to the prevailing winds, most of the rain falls to the west of us. It's lush here but not sodden.

Laura

That sounds lovely.

I want to be somewhere where :

Summer= June - September never above 90 degrees

Spring= late March-May 60 degrees

Winter= December-Feb a bit of snow to enjoy but not temps in the teens

Fall = late Sept-mid November 50-60 degrees

not picky am I?:D

But I suspect those are similar to our temperatures. I think our hottest days are low 20s C, which I think is mid-70s F. We've had unusually cold winters for the last two years - we were hitting the mid-teens below zero C, so I think that's 5 degrees F. More normal are temperatures around freezing, so that's 32 F.

Laura

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Born and raised there, all our family is there, but alas still a little too expensive for us to get back, not to mention near impossible to find a job.

But beautiful and perfect weather!!!!!

We are on the central coast and not planning on going anywhere. It's perfect!

Yes, I'm not a fan of the heat, so I had to put Iceland right after Tahiti! : ) I added Tahiti for its beauty, but I would have to have some relief from the temps. Hong Kong can be warm and humid, too, but I absolutely LOVE that place. I haven't lived there - just worked there and mainland China for weeks on end many times throughout each year once upon a time in another life. Hong Kong has everything I love - mountains, water, a vast mix of culture, all the pluses of big city life with pockets of sheer natural gorgeousness popping out when you aren't expecting it. And since the water is all around, I never felt boxed in by the city.

I wish my dh was as adventurous as I am. I would be somewhere on my list if he only was!

You sound like you live a wonderful life!

Yes, your description of Hong Kong is perfect! The only thing I did not like about living there is the pollution. In the winter, it is REALLY bad. We sail a lot, and being able to be around water and continue racing sailboats was great for my dh. We joined the yacht club there and he raced at least 3-4 times a month. I was able to join him a couple of times when we had guests visiting who watched the kids, and although the water is very polluted, it was still good to be back out on the water.

I am very lucky that my dh likes to travel as much as I do, and we are both lucky that our kids are easy travelers. They'll eat anything, try anything, love museums and historical buildings/areas, and don't whine. My dh's job took us to Hong Kong, and I'm so thankful we had that experience of living abroad. We'd all go back tomorrow!

But I suspect those are similar to our temperatures. I think our hottest days are low 20s C, which I think is mid-70s F. We've had unusually cold winters for the last two years - we were hitting the mid-teens below zero C, so I think that's 5 degrees F. More normal are temperatures around freezing, so that's 32 F.

Laura

Ok - I change my answer. I want to live there. Those stats sound perfect.