Menu

I never thought I would have this conversation with my 5 year old

The child hates wearing panties. HATES THEM! She says they are too hot, and she can breathe easier without them, lol. We have had to compromise on it. I told her that at home, if she has on pants/shorts, she can go without them. But if she is wearing only a t-shirt, a gown, or a skirt, she has to wear panties. And she must wear them when we leave the house regardless of what she is wearing on the outside. She agreed that that was a fair compromise. What a fun girl I've got!

Dd really *hates* most of the panties for little girls out there. They're made with itchy material or have itchy, exposed elastic, or come up over part of her tummy.

After some experimentation, the very best we've found for her at Gap Kids "hipster" panties. The elastic bothers her less, there's no polyester, they sit low so they don't touch her tummy, the sides are wider than a bikini cut so they don't ride up over her hips...

Anyway, they might not be the perfect style for your dd. I'm just saying that fabric and cut *do* make a difference.

Dd really *hates* most of the panties for little girls out there. They're made with itchy material or have itchy, exposed elastic, or come up over part of her tummy.

After some experimentation, the very best we've found for her at Gap Kids "hipster" panties. The elastic bothers her less, there's no polyester, they sit low so they don't touch her tummy, the sides are wider than a bikini cut so they don't ride up over her hips...

Anyway, they might not be the perfect style for your dd. I'm just saying that fabric and cut *do* make a difference.

We use those same ones, here.

Thanks, I will look into those! She is a very tactile child, but I didn't even think about the elastic or anything bothering her. That might be it. Thanks again!

My dd will only wear hanes comfort soft waistband wedgie free.

You could also try boys undies. They're cut different and could be more comfortable. Or boxer briefs.

My ds almost never wears undies. We were in walmart the other day and he wanted superman undies, so I went to check his tag to see if he was wearing size 6 or 8, but he didn't have any on!

my sister got her DD boys boxer breifs (the girls asked for super heros like the boys -- one girl to 4 boys -- and was in tears she could not have them). Sister explained they were made for little boys but she could have them and wear them if she vanted -- little girls says "i like them better than my painties, they feel better" and Sister notes that said little 4 yo girl does not pull at them like she does her painties --

jsut an idea

My daughter likes some from Hanes that came three to a package, much better elastic, and good coverage in the back. I think it's these tagless with comfortsoft waistband.

http://www.hanes.com/Hanes/Products/Kids-Hanes/Kids_Girls-Hanes/Kids_Girls_girlsunderwear-Hanes/20225.aspx

That being said, I did used to have girl version of boxers, but I bought them abroad. She's outgrown them. They had a very light elastic around the leg so they didn't reveal anything.

Thanks, I will look into those! She is a very tactile child, but I didn't even think about the elastic or anything bothering her. That might be it. Thanks again!

Also, wearing things inside out really does help. I wear most thing inside out, which probably means that you JUST CANNOT WAIT to meet me IRL someday. :lol: (when I say, 'most things' I mean undies and socks.) I hate seams touching my delicate skin. :001_smile:

I have the opposite problem. I usually don't wear any, but my 4yo will run around the house telling everyone how proud she is of me when I do wear them! :glare:

That being said, my DD wears a size 6 but I buy her size 8 panties because they don't seem to bind or chafe her like the smaller size does.

The child hates wearing panties. HATES THEM! She says they are too hot, and she can breathe easier without them, lol. We have had to compromise on it. I told her that at home, if she has on pants/shorts, she can go without them. But if she is wearing only a t-shirt, a gown, or a skirt, she has to wear panties. And she must wear them when we leave the house regardless of what she is wearing on the outside. She agreed that that was a fair compromise. What a fun girl I've got!

That was me!!! As a child, my mother had to do a panty check every morning before school. :lol: Shhh,don't tell her, but sometimes I would take them off at school and put them in my back pack.:leaving:

I would also pull them and break the elastic or cut off the elastic. I would retrieve my brother's diapers from the trash, unroll them and hide the cut off elastic inside and throw them back in the trash! I was a sneaky child. :D

To this day, I buy my panties one size too large and I choose the string sides or high leg type. I also don't mind the boy short type (no elastic :tongue_smilie:).

The cut and style make a HUGE difference! Just wondering, for those who don't like panties, how about jeans? I never liked jeans much either. I felt too binded. I always wondered if there was a correlation.

I struggle with my dd (5) putting her underwear on right. Every after bath routine is the same. She gets them on wrong and I have to reshow her how to put them on! EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

It is a little frustrating, but now I'm wondering if she just doesn't like to wear them the wrong way, lol. :confused:

My ds6 is the only person in the house who wears underwear. I make ds9 wear underwear for gymnastics (boxer brief under the shorts), but that's about it. A lot less laundry for me! :)

Careful now. When I suggested that underwear wasn't worn under pajamas, some folks nearly had heart failure a couple weeks ago. :D

Nakia, I see one child, properly socialized. ;)

My son didn't wear underwear for the longest time but to be honesy t it didn't bother me, although it greatly bothered the in-laws. They would always tell him he had to wear them at their house, I thought it was ridiculous and none of their business, personally, but I didn't push it. DD2 is currently the commando queen here as I p'trained her naked and haven't put in the time to transition her, I figure when it gets winter we'll work on it!

My dd is very particular about her undies as well. She is 4. Her favorite brand is the store brand at Belks. THe elastic is different, not really covered but not the usual cheap elastic you see. We do have to buy 2 or 3 sizes larger though. They run small and shrink the first wash. They are super soft after washing and hold their shape well. The briefs are not as long as the Haines or Fruit of the Loom briefs and she loves them. Even though they aren't hipsters, they ride under her belly.

When I was a girl I preferred satiny type underwear because they moved with my clothes and felt cool to the touch. I was always running and jumping. The cotton ones just seemed to grab and tug and pull against any clothing I wore. My mom sewed most of mine though from lingerie fabric remnants.

I have the opposite problem. I usually don't wear any, but my 4yo will run around the house telling everyone how proud she is of me when I do wear them! :glare:

Ohmigosh! :lol::lol::lol:

I have nothing to add, as all three of my children (or rather, all five humans who occupy my home) wear underwear. My only confession is that I hate the word "panties" and have never used it with my girls. When my older dd was about 8, the morning after a sleepover, she said, "Mom, my friends call these panties. Why do that do that?"

(To appreciate that, you have to imagine her saying panties with the right combination of confusion and disdain. :))

:tongue_smilie:

When my oldest daughter was three, we finally gave in and tried Hanna Andersson panties. They were a huge hit. They are softer and the elastic is nicer. They are pricey, but they last forever and they helped with our panty issues.

Suzanne

:iagree:

We don't buy much Hanna stuff because of the price, but I'm willing to splurge on the underpants. The elastic is totally covered in cotton and one of my girls is sensitive--these are the only ones that work for her.

In terms of a panty policy, I agree that undies are a must under pant-less things (skirts, dresses), but wouldn't it be okay to go out without if one's wearing pants?

Edited by sgo95
grammar

Did you teach her the proper slang terminology of "commando" too? ;)

Well, of course, I did! :lol:

That's my girl. :cheers2:

I agree cut and fit make a world of difference. We have that issue in our home as well.

Bike shorts could be an option too.

My one comment is that if you find something she likes, buy them all, in at least two sizes ahead as well. One member of our house, who shall not be named, found a brand he likes and now we can't find them anywhere. :glare: The countless others we've tried have some minor deficiency that relegate them to donate pile.

I have nothing to add, as all three of my children (or rather, all five humans who occupy my home) wear underwear. My only confession is that I hate the word "panties" and have never used it with my girls. When my older dd was about 8, the morning after a sleepover, she said, "Mom, my friends call these panties. Why do that do that?"

(To appreciate that, you have to imagine her saying panties with the right combination of confusion and disdain. :))

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cringes at the word "panties". You "wear" them "under" your clothes. Underwear sounds more dignified and respectable.

:lol: that is hilarious. and ftr, i don't use the word either. idky, I just hate it!! and the story w your daughter - hysterical. :lol:

Wow! I thought I had the only dd who hated undies.

My dd just turned 12 and absolutely hates the things, and has for quite awhile.

She is currently wearing size 8 Hanes Comfort Waist boy cut briefs. Those things are huge on her - she should be wearing a 5, but she hates, hates, hates the tightness of the leg hole. Those baggie things would drive me nuts, but they are the only ones she tolerates.

I suggested she wear her brother's boxer briefs, and she will wear them to bed, but not during the day. She'd go commando first - and has! Funnily, the seam in her shorts doesn't bother her.

Oh, and she hates jeans too!

She'll be so thrilled to hear she's not the only one!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cringes at the word "panties". You "wear" them "under" your clothes. Underwear sounds more dignified and respectable.

I think dignified and respectable went out the window when I started this thread. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

All of these stories and anecdotes are cracking me up!! I really have no idea why Cora doesn't like panties. She has even tried on both her older sisters', and she doesn't like those either. She just can't "breathe right" when she has them on. Heehee. She would just rather go commando. :D

Until I came here I had NEVER in my entire life heard that some people wear pj's sans panties/underpants/underthings/unmentionables. :001_huh:

I'd never heard of people who wore them under their pjs :D

My mother claimed it was to allow the affected area to air out. She wouldn't let us wear undies to bed. :P

:lol: That's so funny! I hate that word too. Underware. That's the word I like. My family thinks I'm crazy.

Denise

I think dignified and respectable went out the window when I started this thread. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

All of these stories and anecdotes are cracking me up!! I really have no idea why Cora doesn't like panties. She has even tried on both her older sisters', and she doesn't like those either. She just can't "breathe right" when she has them on. Heehee. She would just rather go commando. :D

I wonder if the band around the waist bothers her. My oldest hated having anything, no matter how light and soft, touch his waist. He always shoved his underware and pants down off his waist and wore them closer on his hips. I bought him lots of long shirts. For your dd, maybe hip huggers would be more comfortable.

Also, if you can afford it, Hanna Anderson has some wonderfully soft underware. In the end, letting her go commando most of the time is fine. She's little, it's no big deal. It's kind of sweet.

Denise

Hanna Andersson and Children's place were the best for us. the Hanna Andersson ones don't have the exposed waistband.

If she's sensitive, that could be why; also "boy cut" ones might be better, as they are airier :)

See, ds likes Hanna, but for dd the high, high waistband would make her lose her mind. She objects *strongly* to panties that cover any part of her tummy.

I guess it really is a matter of figuring out *why* a particular child hates his/her underwear and going from there.

I struggle with my dd (5) putting her underwear on right. Every after bath routine is the same. She gets them on wrong and I have to reshow her how to put them on! EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

It is a little frustrating, but now I'm wondering if she just doesn't like to wear them the wrong way, lol. :confused:

I put an "X" on the back of my toddler girl underwear so they can get them on the correct direction.

My boys don't wear underwear.

I also hate the word "panties."

We get Hanna Andersson unders for ds7. They are soft and last forever! I've only bought them on sale at the outlets. They take phone orders if you don't have one near you.

My boys also don't wear their unders to bed (they do wear pj's). They know that's when they can "be free and breathe".