Menu

Co-op questions: Does this sound good to you? Why or why not?

I am on the board of our homeschooling co-op. I have been a member for 8 years, since my dd was in Kindergarten. When I first joined the group, it was big; we had well over a hundred families. Nice big age groups from Preschool through High School. There were always a hand-ful of pregnant moms, too.

But, times have changed. Our group has shrunk. There are now a little over 50 families. The membership is also heavy with families like mine who have been there for several years. The younger end is shrinking away with not a lot of "fresh" young homeschoolers. Our Preschool age group is now the smallest with only 7 or so registered preschoolers.

The concept of our group is to meet on Fridays, for 2 ten-week semesters and choose classes a la carte. The classes are electives, with about half being more academic (i.e. "Mapping the World with Art") and the other half being more fun (i.e. Circus skills). The group is Christian, however, you do not have to sign a SOF to join, you just need to agree not to contradict the Christian current.

We do also have a high school tutorial that runs for 36 weeks, for Math, Science and languages.

The group is not super-expensive to join (totally subjective opinion there), but it is not free, either. There is an enrollment fee ($55/year/family), a reg. fee for each semester ($25/family) and each class has a fee to pay the teacher. Some classes are cheap (Sports Exploration - $25/student for 10 weeks), some are more expensive (Sculpting - $55/student for 10 weeks), but all are below market value if you were to enroll in the community. So, for example, I have paid in the neighborhood of $300 for all three kids to be in five classes for ten weeks.

If you're still reading at this point, I congratulate you! Would you be likely to join a co-op like this? Are you already in a co-op like this? What makes you happy to be in it. If not, what deters you?

I'm trying to get a feel for what we can do to improve our membership. I do believe economics is to blame for at least some of our membership shrinkage, and there was also a kerfluffle a few years ago because some people wanted a specific SOF and others did not, so we did lose several families at that time. But is there anything glaring that I'm overlooking that I can work on?

Well, I can say that I would join if I felt the classes could lift some of the burden of what I'd do at home. I think you're right about economics, though: Two years ago, the money wouldn't have been an issue, and today, the $40 I'm expecting to pay for a co-op in the fall seems like a lot.

Otherwise, it sounds like a great proposition and a well-run organization to me. Is it possible that the number of unschoolers is increasing in your area, or something along those lines?

I think it's totally reasonable price-wise. The co-op near me is free to join, but classes there (that run once a week for an hour for 30-36 weeks) cost about 300-400 each. Really, that's reasonable to me, too--$10 an hour or so. I couldn't get tutoring for that, and the added benefit is the group situation.

I would be looking for more of an academic option, myself. I'd also love a co-op that maybe took total care of some subject, maybe by meeting twice a week. That would be for science (lab) and art, in my case. :001_smile:

The fees seem a bit high...are they to pay only for supplies or are the teachers being compensated? If the former, why such a high fee for sports? IMO, the fees notwithstanding, I would pass on it because of the enrichment aspect. We have a huge group here that seems similar to your group and the two aspects I hear complained about the most are: 1) Enrichment-only. Parents have enough of that (here, anyway)...what they're looking for are good classes that supplement the basics. 2) Short semesters. Ten weeks isn't a lot of time and for enrichment-only, the price doesn't seem worth it. Academically speaking, ten weeks wouldn't be enough to dig in to a worthwhile subject.

I wouldn't mind such a co-op, although every other week would be better for me, but I could do Fridays. And I think it's a good idea that you aren't doing core subjects.

Your co-op sounds well-run.

I'm thinking you should do it if there are only 50 families and don't worry about the numbers. You're doing fine.

Personally, what you're charging would always have been too much for me--IOW, it isn't just because of the current economy--but it doesn't seem outrageous overall.

The fees seem a bit high...are they to pay only for supplies or are the teachers being compensated? If the former, why such a high fee for sports? IMO, the fees notwithstanding, I would pass on it because of the enrichment aspect. We have a huge group here that seems similar to your group and the two aspects I hear complained about the most are: 1) Enrichment-only. Parents have enough of that (here, anyway)...what they're looking for are good classes that supplement the basics. 2) Short semesters. Ten weeks isn't a lot of time and for enrichment-only, the price doesn't seem worth it. Academically speaking, ten weeks wouldn't be enough to dig in to a worthwhile subject.

It's to pay the teachers, and in some cases, it also covers materials. In the case of sports, for example, the teacher is not a member or even a homeschooler. He's just a heck of a nice guy who loves sports. I think that fee is super-cheap, given those parameters. He's only getting paid $2.50 per student each class! The enrollment fees pay to rent the church and pay for liability insurance.

Interesting that you see enrichment-only as a liability. That has always been my main purpose in being in a co-op! :001_smile:

Thank you all for your feedback. My ears are still open. :bigear:

I like the class ideas you shared for the coop. Those are actually the types of classes I wish we had here. Everything around me is strictly academic and I've already got academics covered at home. I'd love enrichment-type classes for my kids to have fun in while learning something new with friends.

However, I think you are right about the economy shrinking your numbers. A few years ago, I could have easily afforded those classes. Now, I wouldn't even consider them solely based on cost.

Lisa

I wouldn't mind such a co-op, although every other week would be better for me, but I could do Fridays. And I think it's a good idea that you aren't doing core subjects.

Your co-op sounds well-run.

I'm thinking you should do it if there are only 50 families and don't worry about the numbers. You're doing fine.

Personally, what you're charging would always have been too much for me--IOW, it isn't just because of the current economy--but it doesn't seem outrageous overall.

Thank you for the encouraging words. We will still be moving ahead, though we are smaller than we once were, but fewer families does have discouraging impacts on the group. We can't offer as many choices, for example. I like to have 3 class offerings for each age group at each hour, but that only works if we have at least 35 students in an age group, so they make good-sized classes. Also, there is some "failure point" where our enrollment fees will no longer cover the expense of renting the church and securing insurance. I'm not sure exactly where that point is, but I'd rather not be at the lower end with crocodiles snapping at my rear! :D

The group is not super-expensive to join (totally subjective opinion there), but it is not free, either. There is an enrollment fee ($55/year/family), a reg. fee for each semester ($25/family) and each class has a fee to pay the teacher. Some classes are cheap (Sports Exploration - $25/student for 10 weeks), some are more expensive (Sculpting - $55/student for 10 weeks), but all are below market value if you were to enroll in the community. So, for example, I have paid in the neighborhood of $300 for all three kids to be in five classes for ten weeks.

'm trying to get a feel for what we can do to improve our membership. I do believe economics is to blame for at least some of our membership shrinkage, and there was also a kerfluffle a few years ago because some people wanted a specific SOF and others did not, so we did lose several families at that time. But is there anything glaring that I'm overlooking that I can work on?

I'm part of a large co-op that seems to run similar to yours. We don't have a fee to join at all. There is a $35 fee per family per semester and then class fees. We do have cheaper classes and then up to your sculpting class. Oh and a fee for preschool aged kids as well. I don't know what that is, I don't have preschoolers. For 4 of us, I have paid $350 for 13 weeks. Since then I've paid more attention to what I even let me kids know about with price in mind.

I'm not on the board. But one thing we've do is to offer more academic things in the middle and high school age groups. And now, that's most of what is there. They are offering Notgrass History and British Lit (but I don't see the publisher on British lit.) Here is the link for the fall classes. That gives you all the classes - moms, early elementary, elementary, middle and high.

The board noticed that we were losing high schoolers to dual enrollment and made these changes to try and retain them.

Do you send out a survey at the end of the year asking for honest anonymous feedback in order to improve the co-op? You could do it on the front end, as in now, and e-mail to everyone who is or even was a part of it. Of course, it's hard to be anonymous via e-mail and see what the members' thoughts are.

I wouldn't join the co-op because we do a weekly music thing on Wed., band and choir and few other random things. We do a monthly co-op with our church. On weeks when I have both it is HARD! I can give up one day, but not 1.5 every week.

As far as pricing goes, it's probably fine. However, I"m of the mindset that most educational 10 week kind of things are way over-priced. And I base this opinion, of course, on our band program which is $155 for an entire school year. My kids have gone through the program and come out knowing how to play their instruments and play them well. They get I's at solo festival. No private lessons (though many people do that too) That is amazing to me!! AND, the 4th child and down is free. AND, the yearly family registration fee is only $25 if you get your paperwork in by a certain date. AND, they provided 2 of my sons with their instruments (while they are in the program) So we really get a lot for our money and I personally cringe when I see prices for other kinds of things, like art lessons that are the same price for maybe 10 weeks plus you buy supplies. But that's just me. You need to talk to these families in your co-op and see what they are thinking. Our monthly co-op feels like it might be shrinking too and currently, I have no idea why. It's free. So I know it's not the money.

Probably should do a survey too. :D

I'd only be interested in a co-op class that was something I thought my child would love or something I can't do myself. Something like pottery would be a good example of that. I'd want it to be well organized and of a reasonable quality.

The registration and enrollment fee seem high to me. If my child was only interested in one class paying that on top of the class fee would be more than I'd want to spend. If he took a bunch of classes it would be worth it.

I'm not particularly looking for outside academic type classes at this point. My kids get enough of that. Plus if there aren't offerings for both of my kids I can't just have the other one sitting around and waiting.

Also, I don't want to teach a class.

It is true that our co-op works better for people who want to take multiple classes with multiple ages. That is pretty much the brilliance of it IMO. :D It's so much nicer than running all over the county to take the 8th grader to this and the 5th grader to that and the K'er to another class. I love that they can be in classes simultaneously, all in one place.

All our members do have an aide duty in one or more classes, based on how many classes they take, but nobody has to teach. The teachers are often members, but we also hire outside teachers who have a particular skill (ballet, fencing, hapkido, etc.). Aide duties are things like take attendance, be in the room to monitor the class, help the teacher distribute materials, etc.

It's to pay the teachers, and in some cases, it also covers materials. In the case of sports, for example, the teacher is not a member or even a homeschooler. He's just a heck of a nice guy who loves sports. I think that fee is super-cheap, given those parameters. He's only getting paid $2.50 per student each class! The enrollment fees pay to rent the church and pay for liability insurance.

Interesting that you see enrichment-only as a liability. That has always been my main purpose in being in a co-op! :001_smile:

Thank you all for your feedback. My ears are still open. :bigear:

If paying an actual teacher, not a parent, I think maybe that's more reasonable. In our co-op, we are mostly parents offering classes from our own giftings. We may have a man come in to teach chemistry and algebra 2 next year, in which case, his class will cost far more than the rest.

I think co-ops that are one or the other (academic vs. enrichment) may go through more ups and downs than one that is well-rounded. However, a co-op is only as good as its members' efforts. Like I said in my original post, *I* have enough enrichment for the kids w/o a co-op situation so I look for academics that supplement my own agenda. Yet, I hear the opposite all the time too. Your co-op sounds quite large so I wouldn't worry too much. It's good to get a feel for what people want, though. :)

A yearly registration fee per family is one thing, but then registration fee for each family every semester? PLUS a fee for the teacher or each class that you have children in?

I know I couldn't afford that, and probably wouldn't be in favor of the choices of classes.

Also, to bring the elements of religion into it shuts the door for me. Where is the guarantee that religion would not be discussed? If I feel differently about various world religions and am trying to teach my children tolerance and love towards anyone for what they believe, what guarantee do I have from the co-op that they are teaching the same things?

Costs of rent from a church or wherever you are renting, supplies needed for class, these things I can understand, but you say $300 for your family for TEN WEEKS for five classes, when there are 36 WEEKS in a school year. $900 easy for one year for CO-OP for three kids? I could think of better things to do with that kind of money and I wouldn't be able to afford it.

It sounds like a good deal, but I think the semester registration fee should be done away with, unless I am on the board and can see where every penny is going. JMHO.:001_smile:

How many hours of classes per day are there? Does everyone stay for the whole day?

I think the prices are reasonable, but less so for only children or for young children who only take a class or two (which is how I would have been more likely to schedule my pre-schooler.)

If my oldest was a pre-schooler or an only child, I would have noticed I was paying a dis-proportionate amount based on your charging methods. We do lots of activities and there is, typically, a discount for additional children for tuition AND enrollment. And I'm fine with that. But for 1 child to pay the same registration/enrollment of $150 as a family of 6?

Would I have joined anyway? Maybe. Maybe not. It just would have been a con in my pro/con list.

Do you send out a survey at the end of the year asking for honest anonymous feedback in order to improve the co-op? You could do it on the front end, as in now, and e-mail to everyone who is or even was a part of it. Of course, it's hard to be anonymous via e-mail and see what the members' thoughts are.

I wouldn't join the co-op because we do a weekly music thing on Wed., band and choir and few other random things. We do a monthly co-op with our church. On weeks when I have both it is HARD! I can give up one day, but not 1.5 every week.

As far as pricing goes, it's probably fine. However, I"m of the mindset that most educational 10 week kind of things are way over-priced. And I base this opinion, of course, on our band program which is $155 for an entire school year. My kids have gone through the program and come out knowing how to play their instruments and play them well. They get I's at solo festival. No private lessons (though many people do that too) That is amazing to me!! AND, the 4th child and down is free. AND, the yearly family registration fee is only $25 if you get your paperwork in by a certain date. AND, they provided 2 of my sons with their instruments (while they are in the program) So we really get a lot for our money and I personally cringe when I see prices for other kinds of things, like art lessons that are the same price for maybe 10 weeks plus you buy supplies. But that's just me. You need to talk to these families in your co-op and see what they are thinking. Our monthly co-op feels like it might be shrinking too and currently, I have no idea why. It's free. So I know it's not the money.

Probably should do a survey too. :D

I did do a survey last year when I joined the board. We also have evaluation pages for everyone to fill out at the end of a semester. Of course, lots of people never fill out an evaluation, no matter how easy I try to make it. I have asked some of the members whom I'm closer with how they feel about the co-op, why it's valuable to them, what drives them nutters, etc. and I have notions about asking more members those things. But, I don't want to be an interrogator, either. :tongue_smilie:

The fees sound reasonable to me. The co-op we are a part of charges $20/child building fee each semester. We don't have an enrollment fee, but you do have to a part of our support group to be involved in the co--op and that comes with a $20/year membership fee and a $10/year fee for liability insurance per family.

The only classes we offer that run similar cost wise are our elementary classes and two of our middle school classes. But those are basically enrichment classes for science and history.

The other classes offered cost a lot more, but are academic.

I really do think that the economy has a lot to do with the numbers. We had a couple classes not make this year and I don't recall that happening before.

I am not in a co-op, so please bear with me.

1. I don't think your fees are over the top but they are not within my budget at this time. I also don't understand why there is an enrollment fee and a registration fee.

2. I think the 10 week sessions are too short.

3. I don't understand what it means not to contradict the current Christian. Not being Christian, even without the SOF this sounds like something that would deter me from joining.

4. Fridays are our field trip/fun day. I would not be willing to give it up for a co-op.

I'm not sure that 50 families is a bad number, particularly for a coop that is for non-academic subjects.

Do you know if you're meeting the needs of member families? Or are decisions being made by a board who might not be sensitive to concerns of the larger group?

I have been in support groups that charged much less. The prices listed seem rather high to me. But it would be relative. Comparing to outside classes is somewhat apples to oranges, since outside classes usually include the salary of the instructor.

The cost of sculpting sounds like it might be on target, given materials costs. On the other hand, I would wonder if costs could be lowered in some way for others. What, for example does the $25 for sports exploration purchase? And what does the annual membership and semester registration cover?

If you don't have restrictive membership requirements, maybe you could advertise the group on local email lists, at local libraries or through local area churches (especially moms groups or women's ministries). Maybe it's just a matter of your members being so involved with the coop that they aren't meeting and recruiting so many people from outside the group as they used to.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

A yearly registration fee per family is one thing, but then registration fee for each family every semester? PLUS a fee for the teacher or each class that you have children in?

I know I couldn't afford that, and probably wouldn't be in favor of the choices of classes.

Also, to bring the elements of religion into it shuts the door for me. Where is the guarantee that religion would not be discussed? If I feel differently about various world religions and am trying to teach my children tolerance and love towards anyone for what they believe, what guarantee do I have from the co-op that they are teaching the same things?

Costs of rent from a church or wherever you are renting, supplies needed for class, these things I can understand, but you say $300 for your family for TEN WEEKS for five classes, when there are 36 WEEKS in a school year. $900 easy for one year for CO-OP for three kids? I could think of better things to do with that kind of money and I wouldn't be able to afford it.

It sounds like a good deal, but I think the semester registration fee should be done away with, unless I am on the board and can see where every penny is going. JMHO.:001_smile:

This would not be the co-op for families that felt this way. It is a Christian co-op. 98% of the families are expressly Christian and the other small percent I guess tolerate that and know, for instance, there won't be a class exploring the validity of non-Christian religions.

:001_huh: I guess it sounds like a lot when you look at it in terms of a total for the year, but not if you already pay for Park & Rec or Community Center classes or personal classes in any of those things. I pay over $2000 a year for my kids to learn piano. Yes, that is a lot. Kinda horrifying really. But there isn't another way for them to learn proficiency in an instrument as far as I know.

Though I understand that if someone doesn't have the money - at all, period - it doesn't really matter if it's a good deal or not.

I don't think the price is unreasonable. The classes you offer sound really cool.

All our members do have an aide duty in one or more classes, based on how many classes they take, but nobody has to teach. The teachers are often members, but we also hire outside teachers who have a particular skill (ballet, fencing, hapkido, etc.). Aide duties are things like take attendance, be in the room to monitor the class, help the teacher distribute materials, etc.

Aide duty every week? In addition to paying for the class? If it were every week or even more than once or twice per semester, I wouldn't sign my kids up.

One of the reasons I would sign my kids up for a class is to have some me-time. I'm not going to pay for a class AND help out. The classes sound really fun, but... nah. Not if I have to pay and volunteer.

I like to have 3 class offerings for each age group at each hour, but that only works if we have at least 35 students in an age group, so they make good-sized classes.

2 choices per age group per hour would be ok with me. We were in a co-op that usually only had 1 choice per age group, and that just didn't usually work out for us. Now we're in a different one with 1 choice, but it's a better choice, IMO, for our situation.

I am part of a somewhat newer co-op that sounds quite similar to yours with regard to fees and structure. It is quite a bit smaller, though, and also secular.

We've gone through some growing pains even though the actual co-op is only a little over a year old, and I think it boils down to not being able to please everyone all of the time and, honestly, homeschoolers being quite particular about where they spend their time and money. (That's not a bad thing necessarily, just my observation.)

For example, I am the coordinator for the preschool aged kids. I've received feedback that said my group wasn't doing enough and the moms spent too much time chatting, that it was too structured, and that insisted that I should make sure that the kids are learning how to read and do more academic activities. I'm a thin-skinned person, so sadly, this mixed bag of feedback has burned me out over time.

We've lost members due to the rules that are in place, like our (former) 3 class minimum. Our founder wanted the co-op to feel like a family, so she instituted this rule so that we didn't have people just coming and taking 1 class and leaving. It has helped to foster a family-like atmosphere, but it has turned some families off because their day was quite long.

Others have left because they felt the co-op was too much like school. Frankly, in those cases, I think it was more of a homeschool philosophy conflict, as our classes are enrichment, not academic. We have had a family visit that told us they wanted academics and declined to join us because we "didn't do enough". It just goes both ways, I suppose.

Oh, do parents have to teach a class in your co-op? We instituted a rule where everyone has to volunteer for something, something as simple as playground monitor or more involved like teaching or being a teacher's assistant. We have had people balk at this, though, too. :(

We have recently gone to this model after trying out a "family account system" that had each family paying $75, with their class costs deducted from the accounts. I heard it was a nightmare from an accounting perspective. Our fees were actually going to be much higher, but there was resistance at our parent meeting, so the board made some last minute changes to our fees.

What keeps my family enrolled in our co-op is the sense of family and diversity of the other members. My children have made some great friendships, and I have a wonderful support system made up of some of the other co-op moms. It has been relatively inexpensive for us, and my daughters have had some experiences that I could not recreate at home such as book discussions and activities within a group setting, free yoga instruction, Arabic and Spanish lessons. Some of the classes I could do at home, but they would honestly be things I would put off until a rainy day, like some of the craft activities and science experiments.

Just another thought. You seemed concerned in your OP about your numbers dropping. Have there been other groups popping up in your area? Several years ago, our co-op and home-link (a public school ALE program) were the extent of homeschool offerings in our area. However, in recent years, a new FC3 (First Class Homeschool Ministries) was formed here on the east side, another ALE, Classical Conversations (just this past year), and a TJ Ed group all popped up. Then at the end of this school year, the older ALE closed its doors. Our co-op lost members when these groups formed but even with just that old ALE closing, we've had many phone calls about what we offer and we already have several new families who've committed to teach/attend this coming year. Is it possible you're seeing your numbers drop for the same reasons?

I don't think the price is unreasonable. The classes you offer sound really cool.

Aide duty every week? In addition to paying for the class? If it were every week or even more than once or twice per semester, I wouldn't sign my kids up.

One of the reasons I would sign my kids up for a class is to have some me-time. I'm not going to pay for a class AND help out. The classes sound really fun, but... nah. Not if I have to pay and volunteer.

I have heard this sentiment before, but it always leaves me somewhat :confused: Every class must have at least one aide for at least three reasons. 1) Liability - we can't have teachers alone in a classroom with kids, especially little ones. There must be another person to verify what happens/has happened in any given class. 2) Emergency - If there's a fire, if a child is seriously injured, if a child is sick, etc. We can't leave the teacher to handle the class and the emergency. 3) Help - An extra pair of hands is a huge help.

I am happy to hear your reasons, because I know there are other people who will call this a reason also, but it makes me wonder about the expectations. Co-ops can only run because everybody helps; otherwise, it would need to be a private school.

Just another thought. You seemed concerned in your OP about your numbers dropping. Have there been other groups popping up in your area? Several years ago, our co-op and home-link (a public school ALE program) were the extent of homeschool offerings in our area. However, in recent years, a new FC3 (First Class Homeschool Ministries) was formed here on the east side, another ALE, Classical Conversations (just this past year), and a TJ Ed group all popped up. Then at the end of this school year, the older ALE closed its doors. Our co-op lost members when these groups formed but even with just that old ALE closing, we've had many phone calls about what we offer and we already have several new families who've committed to teach/attend this coming year. Is it possible you're seeing your numbers drop for the same reasons?

Yes. I do think that is a factor. There are other options for groups, although there aren't other groups who have the same structure we do. There are a few very loose groups that charge practically nothing to join, but only offer whatever the more proactive members organize and there are two bigger ones that have academic classes in a much more structured fashion. So, I do think that is a part of it.

I don't know what the demographics on homeschooling are in my county at this time (holding steady, growing, more Classical, more unschooler, etc.) My main concern is that we don't seem to be attracting many younger homeschoolers. I don't want the group to simply atrophy because the "old" members are graduating kids and not having babies and we aren't replacing them with younger, fresh, proactive homeschoolers. The year that I joined, it seemed like there was at least a dozen other new families with younger children, just like my own. But now it seems like we get one or two here and there and that's it. We do have a couple of newer families that I'm very glad to have; they are young and on-the-ball and I believe can really nurture the group in the coming years. I'm just greedy and want more like that! :D

I have heard this sentiment before, but it always leaves me somewhat :confused: Every class must have at least one aide for at least three reasons. 1) Liability - we can't have teachers alone in a classroom with kids, especially little ones. There must be another person to verify what happens/has happened in any given class. 2) Emergency - If there's a fire, if a child is seriously injured, if a child is sick, etc. We can't leave the teacher to handle the class and the emergency. 3) Help - An extra pair of hands is a huge help.

I am happy to hear your reasons, because I know there are other people who will call this a reason also, but it makes me wonder about the expectations. Co-ops can only run because everybody helps; otherwise, it would need to be a private school.

I understand the need for an aide. It's just a lot of money to pay if I'm also expected to volunteer every week. Be an aide once or twice a semester? No problem. But, more than that would be a barrier to me.

I think there's helping out... and then there's paying full price for a class while also being required to work in the dang class.

There's a co-op preschool here that requires parents to be an aide for one week (three 1/2 days) per semester. That doesn't seem like too much.

If this is a barrier for families in your area, could you offer a scholarship (no class fee, discount on registration, something like that) if the parent agrees to be the aide?

Your co-op does sound very good and well-run. Ours has fewer than 50 families, I believe (still waiting on numbers for next year), and we don't offer as many choices, but it works. I would not be able to afford $300 a semester, even for three children, even for great classes. Our co-op charges a lot less, and even still, the only way I will be able to afford it this year is because since I will teach one of the classes, so I will receive a reimbursement.

Our co-op for kids 8th and under is $105 per child for 30 weeks. This includes supplies, except for labs which is $15 extra for 7th and 8th. We have to fund raiser for about $30 extra because the facility is more than what we thought. We have history, science, geography, art.... etc... We've bought most of the curriculum ourselves and then the parents purchase sheets for history and science (about $20 per kids) So, next year we'll either fundraise again, or if parents want to pay about $30 or so extra... that's fine.... (per child)

Would you be likely to join a co-op like this? Are you already in a co-op like this? What makes you happy to be in it. If not, what deters you?

It sounds like a nice, organized, group and the fees seem reasonable to me. I am also not interested in co-op academics, with the exception of foreign language, so I like the focus on enrichment, and I really like that you have what sound like experienced teachers and coaches.

That said, we are Jewish so whether we would join or not would depend substantially on how comfortable we felt in the group. From what you say, it sounds like it is a specifically Christian group and that the current members are happy with it that way, which of course is perfectly reasonable, but it probably wouldn't be right for us.

FWIW, we are not presently members of a co-op. My oldest has done various activities but none of them have been homeschooler-specific.

Edited by JennyD

There are a few very loose groups that charge practically nothing to join, but only offer whatever the more proactive members organize and there are two bigger ones that have academic classes in a much more structured fashion.

These are the two kinds of groups that we have most available here. I belong to the former type. I am not interested in a really academic one as they are expensive, and I cover the academics at home. I don't need someone else to lead me at this point. My kids do need a group of hsers to call friends and to do some group learning and fun stuff with. So the 1st option is perfect for us.

Yours would be too expensive for me for extracurriculars. My loose one actually offers enough extras, and we add scouts another night of the week. Yes, we do have to pitch and do the work of the co-op (the active parents..) but for me that sacrifice is the right the choice. HTH.

I have only belonged to our co-op going on the 2nd year, my kids have only taken classes from me just because we do most our courses on our own. But the co-op has grown..here are their stats:

$25 per family to register

individual teachers charge fees from free to $125 per semester (16 weeks) I teach 2 honors classes and charge $75-100 per semester but second child is half off and third child is free. (they still have to pay materials fee which runs $10-$20)

The only requirement is that each family must help with lunches...with the growing number of families that runs about once every 5-6 weeks. And it's just setting their plates and getting their drinks.

Teachers must sign a SOF but families must sign a policy about standards/behaviors that is fairly standard.

HTH

Our co-op only charged about $25 for the year plus one package of paper, one ink carttridge, glue sticks, and crayons. The teachers were only parents and not paid. The fee was for the use of the facility and the supplies were those used by the co-op. The only extra fees were for some art classes for supplies or for some events that were optional to attend. I think it is better that way IMO. There was no SOF which I liked and instead a statement of rules and expectations. The co-op also did not cover evolution and was respectful of conservative Christian ideas for classes even though many were not Christian which was also ok with me.

Perhaps you should consider reasons outside of how the co-op is currently running and think about what is different in your area now or perhaps missing from the early days - some questions to ponder.

Have new co-ops, educational choices (ie. Classical Conversations) entered your area?

Do you rely on word of mouth for marketing? If you have essentially the same core families from inception, your circle of influence has probably been maxed and you aren't reaching potential membership.

Is there the same excitement and sense of community from before, or has the program become routine, drop and go?

As the children have aged, has the co-op changed and grown with them?

Is homeschooling on the rise in your area, stagnant, or declining?

The fees are very similar to those in our area.

Edited by bookfiend
adding reasons

Our local co-ops have fizzled as well. Some new groups, some older members kids have graduated, needs have changed... There is a small group of us trying to get going again and it is really tough. In our area there is no way I could pay that. We lost another 20% of our income again which means unless the co-op activities are nearly free I just can't do it. While your fees are reasonable for what you get, it is still out of league for me in a big way. I have no problem with a fee to cover building usage and such, but I can't do big fees. The most I ever paid in a co-op was $30 for the year. Parents volunteered to teach classes so they would be free except for supplies.

Today another mom and I talked for a very long time about all this. After talking to lots of parents she has found that most only want to commit to classes that are 4-5 weeks long in the younger grades. Those looking for jr high or high school credits may want to take longer, fuller courses, but it would have to be something serious like algebra or speech or Spanish, for example. Some families here only want to do a month's worth of classes for budget reasons. They can plan for this month but with job situations they don't want to commit for a longer time period. Or they can afford half of the cost, but don't know that they will have the other half the next few weeks. The families I am talking to think classes would be nice, but really what they need most is family social interaction - potlucks, play dates, cook outs, hikes - something that is relatively inexpensive or where they can control expenses more. In addition, the only church willing to let us use their facilities right now is in a corner of the county way away from most of the homeschoolers in the county. Gas is so expensive that it is a serious consideration for families as well.

We are also not finding many willing to volunteer. It seems many families in our area are just depressed and run down with the economy. Other families are so busy with family care (special needs kids, elderly/sick grandparents, etc) that they are limited time wise. Or, with the economy the mom is gone working part time and when she is home, school is the only thing they have time for, not co-ops or volunteering.

:iagree:

The state organization here said groups are in a decline in general, all over. In some places more families are doing K-12 or something, and just staying at home to school.

That said, I'm part of a co-op that's been around for about 15 years. We started initially with specific classes for various age groups, as enrichment to do things in a group setting. Art, science, math/geography games, and music (6th and under) and art, science and speech for 7th and up. The group met bi-weekly through the school year. 8 years ago the teens switched to doing a dinner theatre and the yearbook.

Several years ago the music class for the youngers changed to a Team challenge class; highly creative and artsy fun with a shared project.

A year or two later, a band and choir were started (with a paid instructor), these on a weekly basis, along with more academic classes taught by parents- foreign language, watercolor painting, algebra, chemistry, etc. Then we had more young kids there waiting, so some parents put together PE, preschool, lit discussion, etc., so every age would have choices. We offered whatever someone wanted to teach; the instructor basically charged for her books and materials. Some classes were just a half year.

BTW, does your group have a website or host a homeschooling 101 at Barnes and Noble or someplace that would let newer homeschoolers know about you? Where can new homeschoolers get info on your group ?

Fast forward to last year, and for the bi-weekly classes, we were losing our younger groups as we aged out/graduated. At the weekly classes, attendance had dropped to no one wanting to teach a filler class, but everyone wanting band and choir yet. These parents were afraid of the bi-weekly classes because they had to TEACH!

We had to merge the two groups due to the cost of building usage. And everyone (well almost everyone) loved it! Merging band and choir into the schedule was a bit tricky, but it was nice really being one group again! The year end evaluations said they wanted it to stay together. Cost? $20 annual fee, $40 per child for all, plus band and choir fees for those instructors if you take those.

BTW, band and choir only met at another location last year for the odd weeks, and that was covered by donations at the band/choir programs.

I think your fees would be prohibitive for folks here, and I wouldn't like the 10 week classes. I prefer the bi-weekly classes that stretch through the school year for 16-17 weeks. BTW, we have moms team teaching the bi-weekly classes. They can take turns or trade months, or one be lead teacher as long as the two agree on it.

BTW, does your group have a website or host a homeschooling 101 at Barnes and Noble or someplace that would let newer homeschoolers know about you? Where can new homeschoolers get info on your group ?

Edited by Tina

I am not in a co-op, but I am looking into one.

I would not pay that much. I would stop hiring teachers, and use parents as resources. Plus, what else are you offering? Dinners, activities, outings, etc for fun? What variety of classes do you offer? Have an open board meeting and invite all the families to come and join you and offer advice and talk about co-op issues.

I think 10 weeks is too short as well for classes.

I am on a tight budget, so cost is a big factor for me.

Oh no. Volunteer time too? How often? How did I miss that nugget

That is usually an automatic no for me. Sorry.

It's a miracle if something meets our financial, time, and need trifecta for a couple of my kids.

I've never come across anything that did that AND where I had the time to volunteer there too. What would I do with my other kids? Where would I find the time to make up that homeschooling time I'm missing?

Oh no. Volunteer time too? How often? How did I miss that nugget

That is usually an automatic no for me. Sorry.

It's a miracle if something meets our financial, time, and need trifecta for a couple of my kids.

I've never come across anything that did that AND where I had the time to volunteer there too. What would I do with my other kids? Where would I find the time to make up that homeschooling time I'm missing?

Martha, I am roflol.... I saw your earlier response about doing a co-op like that and I KNEW you had missed the part about it requiring volunteering. And that's not, at all, a negative commentary on you.

We have a very similar co-op in our area. It would cost me over $1000 for my girls to be go there for the year, plus individuals class costs, so probably around $1200-1400 for the year. There is no way we can afford it. And parents are also required to volunteer every week. Actually they might have one week off every month. Like several pps, I don't want to pay that kind of money AND volunteer so much.

Martha, I am roflol.... I saw your earlier response about doing a co-op like that and I KNEW you had missed the part about it requiring volunteering. And that's not, at all, a negative commentary on you.

I know what you mean. LOL:tongue_smilie:

Even with only one child, it would be a bit tough to set aside the money for those fees. I really like the way our co-op is run here:

-$10 yearly family fee to join the hs'ing community. This pays for party supplies, group items, etc. for the gatherings.

-$20 monthly fee for co-op. This covers our costs of the building, printing, and various supplies we may use while there.

-class fees range from free to a small semester/monthly fee for "outside" or supply-required classes, like music or cooking. Cooking also offsets their costs by offering lunch to the co-op for $2 a plate.

-parent interaction required. Co-op is a cooperative community. Every family must have a parent cover 2 classes, whether it is as a co-teacher or nursery attendant for the littles. Having 2 or more adults leading each room makes it easier to take off time for family vacations or appointments, but it also requires parents to still be involved and give back with their talents.

This works for us. The Kid will be taking 3 classes there in the fall and during his downtime we'll use one of the empty rooms for study. I'm working in three classes myself and The Groundhog will be spending his time in the nursery.