Menu

s/o common knowledge...Armenian genocide?

Is the Armenian genocide common knowledge?  

1. 1. Is the Armenian genocide common knowledge?

• Yes
    • No

I've known about it since high school, and learned a lot about it when I lived in Jerusalem in college. I expect that people in the country I live in now would be more likely to know about it, but nearly every ethnicity here has a major tragedy in recent history, so the Armenian genocide isn't going to get much attention.

I wouldn't ever expect an American to know about it, although I know some who do.

...but I think it *should* be.

:iagree:

I don't remember when I learned about it, it was a while ago, more than 10 years ago for sure. But I've only recently heard it mentioned in daily life (specifically on the radio to celebrate the 96th? anniversary? - I had to look up the date: April 24, 1915). Every year on that date we have one radio station which plays music dedicated to the genocide. I guess the owners are related to Armenia.

It's something I know about but I'm not sure I would consider it common knowledge. I don't think it should be hidden and it is certainly a significant thing that happened in a country. I'm not sure that it has the same historical significance as the holocaust though. I'm saying that because the holocaust happened as a key event during a World War.

It's something I know about but I'm not sure I would consider it common knowledge. I don't think it should be hidden and it is certainly a significant thing that happened in a country. I'm not sure that it has the same historical significance as the holocaust though. I'm saying that because the holocaust happened as a key event during a World War.

:confused: because it's wasn't talked about or something that the US helped fight against?

:confused: because it's wasn't talked about or something that the US helped fight against?

Do you militarily? The US did provide humanitarian aid to the Armenians. At the end of the war the allies insisted that the government prosecute at least one group as war criminals.

I think the Holocaust of WWII is more well known because of the differences in how news was reported in 1915 vs. the first liberation of Nazi concentration camps in 1944.

Because it was not part of a World War. I'm not saying that it should not be something that people commonly should know about. I'm just saying that I'm not sure that I would automatically expect people to know about it.

There are a lot of things that weren't part of a World War, but are historically significant.

Do you militarily? The US did provide humanitarian aid to the Armenians. At the end of the war the allies insisted that the government prosecute at least one group as war criminals.

I think the Holocaust of WWII is more well known because of the differences in how news was reported in 1915 vs. the first liberation of Nazi concentration camps in 1944.

I understand the reason one of the three is better known than the others. I don't agree that it makes one significant and the other two not. I was stunned when I first read about what happened in the Ukraine.

I understand the reason one of the three is better known than the others. I don't agree that it makes one significant and the other two not. I was stunned when I first read about what happened in the Ukraine.

Ah, I see. I agree that they are all significant.

I assumed it was. But I had friends with Armenian heritage as a child, read David Kherdian's The Road From Home* in junior high (it's on my 8th grader's list this year as well), and went to college in Los Angeles, where there's a very large Armenian population. (The Turkish and Armenian campus associations had ongoing debates about the issue.)

*This is a Newbery Honor book, btw. Worth reading.

I knew about it, but I have a dismal view of people's historical knowledge, so I would assume most people are ignorant of it. As for the significance, it is generally considered to be the first modern genocide and I've read about how it helped inspire the Nazis, though I don't know the details of that connection. I seems to me that it was a huge news at the time but it was forgotten too quickly and those who don't know their history...

There was a big brouhaha in Massachusetts over it a few years back taht was all over the news at the time, so I would expect it to be general knowledge for folks living in that state.

Well, it's been discussed in national politics as well. John Evans was fired as the US Ambassador to Armenia for using the word genocide to describe the slaughter of thousands of Armenians. Obama criticized it at the time. But, as president he has skirted the issue.

I guess the best thing is to make sure it is common knowledge for my children.

Genocide is actually rather fascinating. Wikipedia has a synopsis of the oft-discussed cultural steps leading to it (I think it is under "history of genocide"). I do not find a discussion of it frightens my son, but just makes it clear to us how precious the life we have, politically, here.

Or, as McNamara said at the beginning of The Fog Of War, "we don't think about war enough".

I'm curious. I don't mean this to sound snarky, but what is the other side to systematically killing off millions of people?

That does sound snarky.

I am not Turkish or married to a Turk, nor am I Armenian or married to an Armenian, nor in any way personally involved in this issue, but you may find this article on PBS 's conflicts or issues or whatever after a show on the topic interesting, if only for the fact that it was discussed in so much detail, and whether there is a single version of the truth, which is always an interesting conversation.

http://www.cpb.org/ombudsmen/display.php?id=15

That does sound snarky.

I am not Turkish or married to a Turk, nor am I Armenian or married to an Armenian, nor in any way personally involved in this issue, but you may find this article on PBS 's conflicts or issues or whatever after a show on the topic interesting, if only for the fact that it was discussed in so much detail, and whether there is a single version of the truth, which is always an interesting conversation.

http://www.cpb.org/ombudsmen/display.php?id=15

Thank you. I know it sounded snarky, but I really am curious. I know what Hitler's propaganda was. I know what Stalin's was. I know a bit about Rwanda (sp). I know what the various reasons were with the genocides of the Native Americans in different eras by different people. I know what the English had with the Scots. I'm curious on this also. It helps with teaching. I like to be able to explain the different views on things, so the kids can see why or how something happened.

Edited by mommaduck

It is common knowlege in our area because there are a lot of Armenians who live here and I personally know and am related to decendants of those who were murdered and escaped from Armenia during this time. However, since our govt. refuses to directly acknowledge that there was a genocide so as not to offend the Turks, it's not suprising that not many people know about it.

Edited by KrissiK

There are a lot of things that weren't part of a World War, but are historically significant.

Of course there are. And in a course on Armenian history, the Armenian genocide it would be historically significant. I'm not sure though in a course on World history (which is the kind of wide topic which I think most "common knowledge" comes from) if it would rank as historically significant enough to be included. Because you do have to pick and choose when dealing with such a broad topic and such a broad time frame.