Menu

My DS just got rejected to attend a co-op Christian academy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because we are LDS. They say we have differing doctrinal beliefs. So he is not allowed to take Spanish II there. I seriously believe it is crap. If he was taking a religon class I could understand it but Spanish II? I am seriously ticked!

I'm not sure why they'd even reject him for a religion class. Assuming that you knew what would be taught, and didn't object to it, and your DS knew that he needed to respect the beliefs being taught, why should it matter if your DS believes differently?

But, it's particularly ridiculous for a Spanish class.

I'm really sorry about that. Yes, there are doctrinal differences but I don't get what that has to do with Spanish?? Every co-op I've seen has been "Christian" in description and members have to sign a statement of faith to belong. As a Christian, it personally bothers me more and more every year. Somehow Christians have become more and more isolationist. What happened to being in the world? To loving and reaching people whether they look, act, and think exactly like you or not? It boggles my mind, and I'm seriously considering starting a completely secular co-op around here when my little ones are older. And as I said, this is coming from a Christian!

because we are LDS. They say we have differing doctrinal beliefs. So he is not allowed to take Spanish II there. I seriously believe it is crap. If he was taking a religon class I could understand it but Spanish II? I am seriously ticked!

Don't you know? Mormonism is contagious. They MUST protect the innocent after all!:glare:

Wish I could invite you over for a cup of tea so you could have a nice big rant.:grouphug:

I think that is ridiculous also. I myself am starting to get disgusted with homeschool co-ops.

We were recommended, by our evaluator, to go to one that was at least 45 mins. away. Well, I e-mailed them and they wouldn't even consider us because "they" said we were not recommended by someone in the group. :glare: The evaluator is very well known and I did know someone. I never even bothered to write back. That was a bunch of crap. And, we are of the same "belief". :confused:

Which is why you could be at our co-op, volunteer for some positions, but not lead. Seriously, I want to have be "charitable" to all homeschoolers, and still have certain beliefs among our leaders/teachers. And, it's not something to talk about at co-op. It's not like I would be going around making a point about who is "able to teach" and who isn't. I've had LDS friends in the past, and we know what to talk about... and not... just like any of my other friends :) Sorry about the class :(

Ironically enough, around here the Christian schools are accepting a wider and wider range of beliefs in their student bodies. However, they do describe their teachings in detail, and they don't compromise for their audiences. One of them even has the parents sign a paper indicating their understanding that the kids will be preached to and that they will attempt to convert them.

That is really ridiculous. I would seriously be annoyed. Did they give you any explanation for why LDS homeschoolers aren't welcome? I guarantee that many of the people who attend the Co-op have differing beliefs even if they are all evangelical Christians.

So sorry you and your child have had to experience this!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

This is what I don't get. Aren't Christians supposed to witness to people? Wouldn't they want a chance to witness to your son and switch him over to the "correct" (their view, not mine!) version of Christianity? Ack! I grew up in "Christian" environments and this kind of thing always baffled me.

Honestly, I think that view would be worse then excluding someone. I've Christian and have been witnessed too by those to whom I'm not Christian enough. It's insulting.

This was the email that I received from them. They tried to be nice but my Dh's first response was "Thats Discrimination!" They do not have anything on their website about not allowing certain denomonations into the classes but we had to fill out a questionaire about how he would continue to allow Jesus into his life etc. Just so you know, WE are Christians hence the name of our Church- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

* Christian Academy is a tutorial school that endeavors to provide homeschooling support to Christian families of like mindedness. It is our belief that children should have a safe place to learn and not have to defend their beliefs, which is why we make every attempt possible to preserve this atmosphere for the students.

After seeking information on the Church of Latter Day Saints, we realize that we have some doctrinal differences with your faith. We do not mean to offend in ANY way, but do feel as if we are not the best environment for your son to take classes. Each of our teachers is of the same faith and they are encouraged to share their beliefs with students while teaching. Whereas we both believe in God, we do think that there will be times when the doctrinal differences will become apparent and that is not an issue we want the students to have to face in this environment.

We are returning your check that accompanied your registration. We sincerely hope you are able to find a place for Tanner to take classes and thank you for your interest in.

:grouphug:

It looks like there is a whole group of us who would be unwelcome at this kind of co-op or SOF group. It is a shame we don't all live closer and just do our own instead.

I think these people are missing out on some wonderful kids and parents who would be an asset to any group. It is their loss.

I may the lone duck here, but the e-mail they sent you sounds very respectful and makes it clear that they are looking for members who share the very same beliefs. LDS don't hold the same beliefs as say a Baptist church, or Bible church, or most other protestant denominations. And, they're trying to make sure that what you're teaching your ds at home isn't undermined by what the teachers teach in class. And yes, even in a Spanish class, there can be room for Bible teaching, particularly depending on the curriculum used.

If I were applying to a Catholic co-op and was turned away b/c I'm protestant, I'd understand.

Surely there are other co-ops out there that will meet you needs?

The "I'm right and you're wrong" religion. Cousins to "My God is better than your God".:glare:

I'm sorry. :grouphug:

A few years back, my (mainline Christian) son was asked to cut his very modest mowhawk at a homeschool co-op. I posted about it here and it exploded into 10+ contentious pages.

* Christian Academy is a tutorial school that endeavors to provide homeschooling support to Christian families of like mindedness. It is our belief that children should have a safe place to learn and not have to defend their beliefs, which is why we make every attempt possible to preserve this atmosphere for the students.

After seeking information on the Church of Latter Day Saints, we realize that we have some doctrinal differences with your faith. We do not mean to offend in ANY way, but do feel as if we are not the best environment for your son to take classes. Each of our teachers is of the same faith and they are encouraged to share their beliefs with students while teaching. Whereas we both believe in God, we do think that there will be times when the doctrinal differences will become apparent and that is not an issue we want the students to have to face in this environment.

We are returning your check that accompanied your registration. We sincerely hope you are able to find a place for Tanner to take classes and thank you for your interest in.

:001_rolleyes:

I may the lone duck here, but the e-mail they sent you sounds very respectful and makes it clear that they are looking for members who share the very same beliefs. LDS don't hold the same beliefs as say a Baptist church, or Bible church, or most other protestant denominations. And, they're trying to make sure that what you're teaching your ds at home isn't undermined by what the teachers teach in class. And yes, even in a Spanish class, there can be room for Bible teaching, particularly depending on the curriculum used.

If I were applying to a Catholic co-op and was turned away b/c I'm protestant, I'd understand.

I agree - obviously the parents who put together this co-op did it for a reason - if they wanted a co-op that accepted everyone regardless of religion they wouldn't have made it the Christian thingie that it is (don't take offense - my Catholic kids wouldn't have "made the cut" either.)

I'm sorry. It's happened to us, too (for standardized testing no less - absolutely could not sign their SOF without outright lying). We're Catholic. Maybe the LDS and Catholics could get together and form something and just let each be - religiously. Most of my neighborhood is LDS, and we all get along great.

I'm sorry. It's happened to us, too (for standardized testing no less - absolutely could not sign their SOF without outright lying). We're Catholic. Maybe the LDS and Catholics could get together and form something and just let each be - religiously. Most of my neighborhood is LDS, and we all get along great.

Sounds like a plan, lol.

The "I'm right and you're wrong" religion. Cousins to "My God is better than your God".:glare:

I'm sorry. :grouphug:

A few years back, my (mainline Christian) son was asked to cut his very modest mowhawk at a homeschool co-op. I posted about it here and it exploded into 10+ contentious pages.

:iagree: Don't you know, Joanne - Mohawks are contagious. My boys had mohawks & passed them onto their friends at church only it didn't end there, then the mohawks turned green. Mohawks are a serious threat & shouldn't be taken lightly. :D

Honestly, I think that view would be worse then excluding someone. I've Christian and have been witnessed too by those to whom I'm not Christian enough. It's insulting.

Oh, I'm not advocating the tactic! Believe me! As a kid, I attended Lutheran church and Sunday school from K-10th grade. In 6th grade I went to Catholic school. In 7-9th grade, I went to an Assembly of God school. In 10-12th grade, I went to a Baptist school. I was always the wrong kind of Christian somewhere! :lol:

Just sayin' that for people who are supposed to be witnessing, many of the Christian groups I've been around have done a lot of excluding. That's a small part of the reason that although I still believe in God, I've decided not to be part of the Christian religion.

We sincerely hope you are able to find a place for Tanner to take classes

Yeah right. I'm sure they care. :001_rolleyes:

If they aren't going to accept all Christians - and LDS identify as a Christian denomination, yes? - then they need to rename themselves as [specific denomination] Academy instead.

(personally - I'd rather see [everyone welcome] Academy instead, not specific to one religion, but I'm just addressing what they currently present themselves as.)

I agree - obviously the parents who put together this co-op did it for a reason - if they wanted a co-op that accepted everyone regardless of religion they wouldn't have made it the Christian thingie that it is (don't take offense - my Catholic kids wouldn't have "made the cut" either.)

Well then they need to stop calling it a Christian so-and-so (if that is part of the name) and be more specific. I'm am really, really tired of the way certain churches and/or denominations co-opt Christian to mean just their people.

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree that groups of a like mind should be able to join together. The problem is, in my area, the overwhelming majority of homeschoolers are evangelical christians, so these kinds of practices really limit opportunities for those who are not.

Lisa

I think that all coops should welcome all people. I don't think discrimination based on gender, sexual orientation, race or religion should be permitted, ever. And that's what this is. I get that it's a "private" group, but that's the same argument that gentleman's clubs and golf clubs have used to exclude women and Jews.

As a deist family - we can't attend pretty much anything here in the South :)

Personally, though, while my kids are very well versed in the theologies of other religions, I don't want them "witnessed" to - not because I'm worried about them converting or anything (they can if they want to) - it is more about being told that they are going to go to h3ll for their beliefs - by both the adults and the other kids. Yes - it has happened - even in the group we were in with no SoF.

Now - we don't believe in h3ll, but still.....

I'm sure Mom didn't go in there with the idea she'd be restricted from joining. Hopefully the refusal of inclusion will cause the authors of the co-op to re-think the presentation of what is and is not acceptable and clearly present that in their future materials.

I'd call this a communication and mission statement failure.

It's on the co-op being vague, and not Mom from where I sit.

:iagree:

I looked into a local homeschool academy and called to see about DS doing their two morning a week program and the first question I was asked was had I read the statement of faith I'd need to sign prior to applying. I hadn't, so I got back on the computer, read it and wasn't going to be able to sign it, so needless to say, DS doesn't go there. I'm okay with that, I'm not offended by it, they were up front and honest about it being necessary for us to apply - I didn't agree with having to sign it, so I opted not to...no biggie.

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree that groups of a like mind should be able to join together. The problem is, in my area, the overwhelming majority of homeschoolers are evangelical christians, so these kinds of practices really limit opportunities for those who are not.

Lisa

This is a problem for us, too. It is almost as if those who disagree with the main homeschool organization in town can't find each other because it is so big and active. I am a Christian, but not their kind and they simply can not see why I have problems with the group and why I won't join their co-op. Sigh...

Well, to be fair, it sounds like they *were* specific. Very clear. Respectfully stated.

If they're presenting themselves as a Christian coop and then not accepting other Christians, well, they can seem as respectful as they want but it still stinks.

Again, if they serve only a specific denomination then they should have that reflected in their name.

Edited by WishboneDawn

While it seems unfair to you, the other 'patrons' might find it unfair if they allowed you in (assuming that they were aware that the co-op is of a certain persuasion). It's their party, they get to do what they like. And they get the reputation (good and/or bad) for their actions as well.

:grouphug: Been there , jumped off the ship and never looked back. I am sorry your son was excluded but really, would you want him preached to about why his family's beliefs were wrong every day ??? We literally gave up on having any friendships because the price to pay was selling one's soul and independence in order to be around certain types of people who espoused inclusion but had no idea what that might mean in practice. It has worked out nicely. I managed not to raise a hypocrite and she did not expose other children to dangerous ideas like civil rights for all people or health care as a moral issue. Heck with them and do your own thing your way without other people undermining your beliefs. It is hurtful on the one hand but if someone does find my child to be a threat to their "unity" or "cohesion"then I am spared being around the type of people that I do not wish to converse with anyway.

Yeah right. I'm sure they care. :001_rolleyes:

If they aren't going to accept all Christians - and LDS identify as a Christian denomination, yes? - then they need to rename themselves as [specific denomination] Academy instead.

(personally - I'd rather see [everyone welcome] Academy instead, not specific to one religion, but I'm just addressing what they currently present themselves as.)

:iagree: If a group is not going to accept members who identify themselves as christians then they should be named specifically for the denominations they wish to accept.

I've seen private schools do it, So-and-so Baptist Academy. Why not so-and-so (insert your denomination here) Co-op. Communication is key, that sets the guidelines. If you say christian and then go on to cherry pick your group, that's not christian, really. Perhaps it's time groups started doing that, being more specific in name. I mean I wouldn't walk into a Methodist service and expect a Catholic mass or vice versa, they're both christian, but my expectations are set differently.

Obviously they shouldn't be called the WWJD co-op because I believe he hung out with the those unlike him just fine. :tongue_smilie: (yes, that's snarky)

What's funny is that the Lutheran school my DD attended for preschool and kindergarten has a small number of Moslem students attending. Apparently, the parents found that their children were treated worse because they were Moslem in area public schools than they were in a Christian school, which, while it did have religious instruction as part of the curriculum, also believed in teaching Christian values like "be nice", and, since only about 40% of the students are Lutheran, is very used to having a range of religious beliefs!

When I was looking at possible schools for my daughter, none of them had any trouble accepting kids outside of their religious background-they just made sure the parents knew what would be taught and were OK with it up front. But I've seen a LOT of homeschool groups that I have SOF issues with either because they don't match my doctrine, or because even if they do they're so exclusionary that I'm not comfortable with them. I'm sorry you had this happen.

Edited by dmmetler

What's funny is that the Lutheran school my DD attended for preschool and kindergarten has a small number of Moslem students attending. Apparently, the parents found that their children were treated worse because they were Moslem in area public schools than they were in a Christian school, which, while it did have religious instruction as part of the curriculum, also believed in teaching Christian values like "be nice", and, since only about 40% of the students are Lutheran, is very used to having a range of religious beliefs!

Where I live, it's not uncommon for the Catholic schools to have most of their students not be Catholic. As long as the parents understand that Catholic views will be presented, it's fine.

OP I'm sorry you are feeling hurt and rejected but I have to agree with the above. A private group has the right to limit their membership for any reason and it sounds like they handled it politely. It shouldn't come as a complete shock to LDS followers that their version of Christianity is different from some. When I was growing up, they didn't even call themselves Christians. The label seems to have changed, but not the underlying beliefs. I have the utmost respect for LDS members but I can't understand the outrage at this group for limiting their membership.

I'm sorry that happened...but I guess it's better to know now...although that doesn't make the anger/hurt go away.

You should see what happens when we mention our religion to a group....they suck all the air right out of the room. LOL We don't do groups anymore...well, we are members of our local one but haven't done anything with them yet. I wonder what they'll say when they find out we are Christian Scientists. :lol:

It used to bother me .... but not anymore. Such is life, just keep going forward.

I hope you find a good alternative.... :grouphug: