Menu

Average size of women in U.S.

My dd13 and I were talking about the average size of women in the U.S. A friend posted a picture on facebook of Marilyn Monroe and a super skinny super model type person. I don't want to link it because it has bad language on it. Marilyn Monroe looks SO GOOD! The super skinny woman looks sick. So why are those skinny women considered to be the ideal of the way women should look, especially when the percentage of women who look like that must be small? Or does that make it the ideal, because it takes effort for a lot of ladies to achieve that?

So we googled for the average size of women in the U.S. and I found a few sites that all agreed it is size 14. I found this article here, Size 14 is average American woman's size, but not the average shoppers, and can totally relate to it! As a very young adult, I was a size 8. When I had my first child, my size settled around a 10. A few years later, I was a size 12. I liked being a 12. I felt really good and felt like I looked good. Now, I'm a larger size and I really hate shopping. I mean really, really hate shopping! I wear jeans and mens solid color tshirts because I cannot fit comfortably in what is passing for ladies clothing. I gave up even trying. I wear the same exact jeans so that I don't even have to try them on when I go into the store. I do the same thing for undergarments.

What do you think about this article? Is 14 the average size for women now? I'm not sure how else to google for it and I was trying to find some news type sites as opposed to wiki.answers or shopping.aol.

BTW, my dd13 has a great body image. Thank goodness!!

Size 14 sounds right to me. I've heard that the average is larger than it used to be. By the way, I'm "average" and I have lost weight to get there!!! lol! :tongue_smilie:

I also only enjoy shopping when I've lost weight and I'm in a new size. I was doing really good losing weight from mid January to around the end of March (I lost 35 pounds!). We took a few trips, things came up, etc, etc. I got out of the habit of exercising....slowly losing the eating right thing....and now I'm finding myself slowly gaining what I lost.

*sigh* I've been here before.....

Hmmmm, a 14 in vanity sizes? And average when so many people are overweight? Yes, I think it is possible and terribly unhealthy. Of course, stressing about it isn't good, but I don't think we should just say, "I'm a size 14 and that is average so good enough" either. And I do think the idea of being thinner than and just as unshapely as a prepubescent boy is nutty too.

ETA: I so need to do something. Some of you may remember that I worked really hard on this when my hubby went to work in Kentucky for 4½ months. We used Skype, but I didn't let him see my body the entire time. I went from an 18/20 down to a 12/14 in that time, losing 43 pounds. I kept it off pretty well for about six months, but then we went traveling with him last summer. Unfortunately, living in hotels, eating fast food (and what is easy to cook in hotels as well as continental breakfasts), etc is just not conducive to keeping off the weight, much less losing more. On top of that, I got sicker than ever while traveling so didn't move barely at all. I'm now about where I started. The four big people in the house started a diet yesterday. I'm starting P90 tomorrow (not ready for The X).

Edited by 2J5M9K

Indeed. As our average size continues to increase the rates of diabetes, heart disease and dyslipidemia are exploding. Our quality of life is deteriorating and there seems to be no end in sight. Our children will have even more struggles as they have been indoctrinated with the fast food/soda propaganda their entire lives. :(

So much of the super skinny look being in must be because of women. Most men that I know don't prefer that look.

Of course, there are always exceptions. I think 14 may be average, but then our country is overly obese.

I think usually somewhere around a 6-8 is probably ideal for an average woman.

I had a crazy experience yesterday. I HAD to buy some new clothes because we were taking an extended family picture. I took 7 or 8 shirts into the dressing room ('cause you know you have to try a million before you find one that is halfway decent). Well, shockingly enough, they all looked okay. Dh told me to buy them. All. Dh does NOT spend money like that. Later, I asked him if he was embarrassed by my jeans/t-shirt combo that I wear all.the.time. He looked surprised and said 'no, but you came out of the dressing room and you were not crying- if you're not crying....we're buying it!"

I'm only a size 8/10....but I have huge bOOks and it makes everything look awful. Either it's too tight in the chest or I look like I'm wearing a sack.

So much of the super skinny look being in must be because of women. Most men that I know don't prefer that look.

Of course, there are always exceptions. I think 14 may be average, but then our country is overly obese.

I think usually somewhere around a 6-8 is probably ideal for an average woman.

Saying things like this is where the trouble starts. I don't think anyone should say a certain size clothing is what's considered average because women vary so greatly in how their bodies are made. It's more important to be active and eat healthy than to focus on a size.

Hmmmm, a 14 in vanity sizes? And average when so many people are overweight? Yes, I think it is possible and terribly unhealthy. Of course, stressing about it isn't good, but I don't think we should just say, "I'm a size 14 and that is average so good enough" either. And I do think the idea of being thinner than and just as unshapely as a prepubescent boy is nutty too.

ETA: I so need to do something. Some of you may remember that I worked really hard on this when my hubby went to work in Kentucky for 4½ months. We used Skype, but I didn't let him see my body the entire time. I went from an 18/20 down to a 12/14 in that time, losing 43 pounds. I kept it off pretty well for about six months, but then we went traveling with him last summer. Unfortunately, living in hotels, eating fast food (and what is easy to cook in hotels as well as continental breakfasts), etc is just not conducive to keeping off the weight, much less losing more. On top of that, I got sicker than ever while traveling so didn't move barely at all. I'm now about where I started. The four big people in the house started a diet yesterday. I'm starting P90 tomorrow (not ready for The X).

Weren't you our go-to person for BB? :grouphug: Welcome back to exercise. :)

Saying things like this is where the trouble starts. I don't think anyone should say a certain size clothing is what's considered average because women vary so greatly in how their bodies are made. It's more important to be active and eat healthy than to focus on a size.

That's why I said average. Median.

Is it wrong to say an average woman is 5' 4" or whatever?

He looked surprised and said 'no' date=' but you came out of the dressing room and you were not crying- if you're not crying....we're buying it!"

[/quote']

this is my philosophy for jeans, even if they are $80...if I am not crying, then I am buying them.

:tongue_smilie: This reminds me of a friend I had. She is 10 years older. When I was in my late 30s, she was in her late 40s. I'm taller. Our body types are totally different. She felt huge in a size 6 and her weight did not fall within the healthy weight range. She felt so much better being back in a size 4 and all I could think was that I hadn't seen a size 4 since 7th grade.

I guess size 12 sounds big, but I felt healthiest at that size. My weight was in the middle of my healthy weight range. That is where I would like to be again. Any smaller than that, and I start looking bad. I have no desire to be a size 8 again. I would have to be below my healthy weight range to fit in a size 8.

I don't think clothing size is a good way to look at what's healthy and what's not. There is no consistency in women's clothing sizes from brand to brand. I'm 5'3" and I weigh 184 which is about 40lbs over the high end of what is considered healthy, but depending on what store I go to I can wear anything from a 12 to a 16.

There are also plenty of "skinny" people in the world that aren't considered healthy when they have a check up, so you really can't judge simply by size alone.

:tongue_smilie: This reminds me of a friend I had. She is 10 years older. When I was in my late 30s, she was in her late 40s. I'm taller. Our body types are totally different. She felt huge in a size 6 and her weight did not fall within the healthy weight range. She felt so much better being back in a size 4 and all I could think was that I hadn't seen a size 4 since 7th grade.

I guess size 12 sounds big, but I felt healthiest at that size. My weight was in the middle of my healthy weight range. That is where I would like to be again. Any smaller than that, and I start looking bad. I have no desire to be a size 8 again. I would have to be below my healthy weight range to fit in a size 8.

Yep. My sis and I are both 5'4" but wear different sizes because our bodies are made so differently. If she were ever to see a size 6-8 it would be extremely unhealthy. She wears a bigger size than me but she is healthier because of her exercise schedule - which I could never keep up with.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:I am only 5'7", but I look and feel my healthiest in a size 10/12, not an 8. I look back at pictures of myself when I was an 8 (age 15) and think I look sick and pinched! My mom and sister, however, are both 5'9" and I think they look just fine in an 8/10. I think personal body image plays a big role in this. My mom's goal weight is about 10 lbs less than mine--and too little, in my opinion. I know I am much happier with my body in general and don't spend all the energy worrying about it like she does!

I agree! There are so many factors that contribute to weight distribution, it isn't right or fair to put women in a box like this. And yes, it is more important to be active and eat healthy than to focus on size.

A number of years ago when I visited the Louvre in Paris, I found myself in the Rubens Gallery standing in awe of life-sized paintings of full-figured women. In Rubens' era, a size 14 woman would be considered beautiful and healthy, and that is why I danced gleefully with open arms around the gallery that day. My dear mother was with me, and all I could say to her was, "Mom, we're HOME!!" You see, Mom and I are both full-figured women by heredity. I just wish we'd been alive in the day of Peter Paul Rubens! All the struggling with body image and size that we've endured all of our lives would have never existed. It's all relevant to the culture and times in which you live, wouldn't you say?

Blessings,

Lucinda

:iagree: I was a size 14 when I graduated from high school and I was slim (5'10" and 150 lbs.) You do have to pick a goal that's reasonable. For me, staying in regular sizes instead of plus is my goal. Of course, they keep expanding the regular size range, so maybe I have to adjust my goal?

My dd13 and I were talking about the average size of women in the U.S. A friend posted a picture on facebook of Marilyn Monroe and a super skinny super model type person. I don't want to link it because it has bad language on it. Marilyn Monroe looks SO GOOD! The super skinny woman looks sick.

Is there such a thing anymore as a healthy balance? I don't know of anyone who thinks models actually look GOOD though... Young girls are meant to be thin but adult women are supposed to have curves, aren't they? :confused: After all, what would babies snuggle into? ;) But I also agree that being "average" shouldn't lead to some sort of "okay" to be unhealthy.

We're all shaped so differently. I could eat nothing but junkfood and soda all day long and still be fairly trim. I have an aunt who exercises to no end and is very health/diet conscious and will never be a size 14, she's built larger.

When will our goal become being HEALTHY (lifestyle, diet, care of self) rather than how we look?! When that happens size and weight won't matter and how and what we eat WILL. My little sister is a four and eats very unhealthy and yet feels okay with it because after all she is thin. I am actually frightened for her health and well-being. :( If society's focus was on health she would realize something was wrong with her diet. But because the tag in her jeans is a size 4, she feels "safe" as far as health goes.

I don't think clothing size is a good way to look at what's healthy and what's not. There is no consistency in women's clothing sizes from brand to brand.

Exactly what I was going to say! I have things that are a 14 that fit and I've tried on 20s that don't.

Indeed. As our average size continues to increase the rates of diabetes, heart disease and dyslipidemia are exploding. Our quality of life is deteriorating and there seems to be no end in sight. Our children will have even more struggles as they have been indoctrinated with the fast food/soda propaganda their entire lives. :(

While I agree that being significantly overweight or obese is a real problem in America, we, on average, still have a higher quality of life and live longer than at least 95% of the people in the world. I'm a size 12 and have a series of health issues, none of which are related to my weight. I know this because I've had these problems, (PCOS, fibromyalgia, tachycardia and high blood pressure) since my 20's when I was about 25 pounds lighter than I am now. I truly believe that many health issues are related to genetics.

That's why I said average. Median.

Is it wrong to say an average woman is 5' 4" or whatever?

I think that it seemed you were saying average as "a goal to shoot for", not average as in "this is where 1/2 of women fall."

I had to go look up a size chart to see what size 6-8 covers. I *might* be able to fit into that at my ideal weight, but most likely a 10.

When will our goal become being HEALTHY (lifestyle, diet, care of self) rather than how we look?!

I can't see that happening. People are judged on their appearance. As we've been talking about so far, even people who wear the same size in clothing will look really different. No one asks for health information before making a judgment about someone's health. For example, my DH is in great shape. He eats a healthy diet (he's not big on sweets other than jello) and runs about 5 - 7 hours a week. Unfortunately, his shape doesn't show his diet & exercise. He's a hobbit, right down to the big wide feet. He says his ancestors are vikings and their build was low and wide so they wouldn't fall off the ships. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

Because density is relatively constant among people, knowing how tall someone is and what they weigh, one can estimate their measurements. Based on some numbers I found online (which may be inaccurate) a woman's waist size is equal to 19.7 times the squareroot of (her weight divided by her height). So I made a chart of waist sizes at BMIs of 18.5 and 25. The healthy range for weight is between these BMIs.

5'0" - 24.8" to 28.8"

5'1" - 25.0" to 29.0"

5'2" - 25.2" to 29.3"

5'3" - 25.4" to 29.5"

5'4" - 25.6" to 29.7"

5'5" - 25.8" to 29.9"

5'6" - 26.0" to 30.2"

5'7" - 26.2" to 30.4"

5'8" - 26.4" to 30.6"

5'9" - 26.5" to 30.9"

5'10" - 26.7" to 31.1"

5'11" - 26.9" to 31.3"

6'0" - 27.1" to 31.5"

The average 5'4" tall woman at a healthy weight should wear between a size 6 and 10.

What is a healthy weight for one women who is 5'4" and what is healthy for another cannot be pared down to BMI. In fact, BMI has some significant problems because it does not distinguish between the weight of fat in your body and the weight of muscle, bone, cartilage, etc.

http://www.docshop.com/2008/04/08/arnold-schwarzenegger-is-obese-problems-with-body-mass-index-bmi-calculations

Here's a helpful chart of sizes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size

That chart isn't correct - I know what size I can fit in, but according to that chart there is a 10 inch difference in what I am compared to what I "should be" to fit into the size I wear. That doesn't even match my size 20+ years ago, either. Was "vanity sizing" in back then?

I am 5'8 and just got down to a size 10. I am aiming for one more pant size but I feel great right here.

I truly don't mean this in a bad way, but when you say you "feel great" do you mean as in self-esteem about how you look? Or do you mean as in you feel great as in health?

Well, I think vanity sizing has done women a huge disservice. My mother, who was 5'4" and weighed 115 pounds, wore a size 12 until the day of my wedding, because that's what she had always worn.

She went to try on dresses for my wedding and the attendant fitting her took her measurements. She was a size 2.

I am 5'6" and weigh between 128-132....depending on how careful I'm being. :D I can wear anywhere from a size 4 to a size 10, depending on how "vanity-sizing dependent" the clothes manufacturer is being. I read an article that some designers have downsized their clothes by as much as 5 sizes. So, my grandmother....who wore a 24 back in the early 70s....would only be a 14 today. She would not have considered herself overweight if she "fit" into that size. She was overweight. Not sure how that helps women be healthy.

Of course, maybe if we weren't all so vain about that number on the tag...:lol: (And yes, I prefer my tag to say "4" instead of "10". Guilty as charged. :D)

That chart isn't correct - I know what size I can fit in, but according to that chart there is a 10 inch difference in what I am compared to what I "should be" to fit into the size I wear. That doesn't even match my size 20+ years ago, either. Was "vanity sizing" in back then?

It's accurate for me for the current size, which is several sizes smaller than the standard catalog size given for the 1980s. I'm currently a size 14 in most things, a 12 in a few. And that matches the waist size given for the Misses chart and at my height. Though I weigh 20 lbs more than they estimate, yay muscle! But that would have been a size 18 before the vanity sizing started, the wiki article mentions 1980 as the date for the standard sizes they used for comparison.

What is a healthy weight for one women who is 5'4" and what is healthy for another cannot be pared down to BMI. In fact, BMI has some significant problems because it does not distinguish between the weight of fat in your body and the weight of muscle, bone, cartilage, etc.

http://www.docshop.com/2008/04/08/arnold-schwarzenegger-is-obese-problems-with-body-mass-index-bmi-calculations

BMI isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. And in the case that someone is wildly variant from the norm in body fat, the original statement of density would be incorrect and the constant would be wrong, but IMO the waists would work out ot be about the same anyway.

My impromptu chart also doesn't take into consideration that the hips of women, even of the same height, varies significantly. Someone could have much broader hips than is expected which would result in a smaller waist (because it's distributed differently).

But I'm willing to bet it's the most accurate chart made from completely random internet data that one will find. :D

I'm a size 12 (size 8 in vanity sizing, but I won't pay the premium just to make myself *seem* skinnier.) I'm not overly tall, just 5'9", and my BMI is on the upper end of healthy. People tell me all the time that they wish they had my legs, or arms, or whatever, though I'm not skinny. I personally would love to lose some weight/gain some extra muscle.

What drives me crazy, though, is that I receive catalogs of plus-sized clothing in the mail. Why? I can only assume it's because size 12W is where most of those start. If the median size of women is 12-14, I'd love to know why I'd be considered plus-sized. Is it due to the obesity epidemic? Vanity sizing? Do they think I'm going to aspire to gain more weight if they send me catalogs full of beautiful clothing for more full-figured women? I don't get it. They definitely help with my resolution to lose weight, though!

It's accurate for me for the current size, which is several sizes smaller than the standard catalog size given for the 1980s. I'm currently a size 14 in most things, a 12 in a few. And that matches the waist size given for the Misses chart and at my height. Though I weigh 20 lbs more than they estimate, yay muscle! But that would have been a size 18 before the vanity sizing started, the wiki article mentions 1980 as the date for the standard sizes they used for comparison.

That's really odd that my measurements are so far off for my size. I looked at what I used to wear (before I lost 80 pounds) and THAT measurement is also 10 inches off of what I was! I do have that same range, though, where some smaller things fit and some larger items don't, but I compared my average.

My dd13 and I were talking about the average size of women in the U.S. A ...we googled for the average size of women in the U.S. and I found a few sites that all agreed it is size 14. I found this article here, Size 14 is average American woman's size, but not the average shoppers, and can totally relate to it!...

I don't know what's the average size of women in the US, but I agree that I don't like shopping for clothes when I'm heavier. Not only that, but if I do shop for clothes after my size has crept up, I often don't buy anything. Seeing my reflection in the mirror inspires me to loose weight and why buy clothes in a size that I don't plan on staying?!

Because density is relatively constant among people, knowing how tall someone is and what they weigh, one can estimate their measurements. Based on some numbers I found online (which may be inaccurate) a woman's waist size is equal to 19.7 times the squareroot of (her weight divided by her height). So I made a chart of waist sizes at BMIs of 18.5 and 25. The healthy range for weight is between these BMIs.

5'0" - 24.8" to 28.8"

5'1" - 25.0" to 29.0"

5'2" - 25.2" to 29.3"

5'3" - 25.4" to 29.5"

5'4" - 25.6" to 29.7"

5'5" - 25.8" to 29.9"

5'6" - 26.0" to 30.2"

5'7" - 26.2" to 30.4"

5'8" - 26.4" to 30.6"

5'9" - 26.5" to 30.9"

5'10" - 26.7" to 31.1"

5'11" - 26.9" to 31.3"

6'0" - 27.1" to 31.5"

The average 5'4" tall woman at a healthy weight should wear between a size 6 and 10.

When my struggles with anorexia were most severe, I was a size 12. And I'm 5"4. Wide shoulders, large b00ks, hippy...generally a larger frame than my height would indicate.

I hate averages. I settle for trying to be as healthy as I can, regardless of what weight or clothing size that means.

The charts are bad for me. Truly. My heart starts racing, I break out in a sweat...it just is a bad trigger.

5'0" - 24.8" to 28.8"

5'1" - 25.0" to 29.0"

5'2" - 25.2" to 29.3"

5'3" - 25.4" to 29.5"

5'4" - 25.6" to 29.7"

5'5" - 25.8" to 29.9"

5'6" - 26.0" to 30.2"

5'7" - 26.2" to 30.4"

5'8" - 26.4" to 30.6"

5'9" - 26.5" to 30.9"

5'10" - 26.7" to 31.1"

5'11" - 26.9" to 31.3"

6'0" - 27.1" to 31.5"

I would guess this chart doesn't take into consideration torso length either. I have about 3 inches between my bottom rib and top of hip bone, the odds of me ever having a waist size indicated in the chart is pretty much non-existent, well at least without me having developed some sort of eating disorder.

When my struggles with anorexia were most severe, I was a size 12. And I'm 5"4. Wide shoulders, large b00ks, hippy...generally a larger frame than my height would indicate.

I hate averages. I settle for trying to be as healthy as I can, regardless of what weight or clothing size that means.

The charts are bad for me. Truly. My heart starts racing, I break out in a sweat...it just is a bad trigger.

Sorry Imp. Didn't mean to cause you pain.

Sorry Imp. Didn't mean to cause you pain.

Of course not! I wasn't aiming at you, but at the idea that charts are good for everyone across the board.

They just aren't. Just as nobody would say that ALL families must do x, or a would work for everyone, charts don't take into account the myriad of differences in the human body, in individuals.

He's a hobbit, right down to the big wide feet. He says his ancestors are vikings and their build was low and wide so they wouldn't fall off the ships. :tongue_smilie:

That's me. I'm a hobbit, short legs, short arms, stocky. I am skinny at a size 10, feel most comfortable at a 12/14 (which I'm working to get back to). Add to that I can get to a 8 at the top while being a 12 on the bottom at ideal weight. Shopping is so fun. :ack2:

I am densely built. I can weight 25lbs more than someone with the same measurements.

My mom, whose genetics I did not inherit, is perfectly proportioned. Clothes hang beautifully on her. I inherited my dad's body structure. :glare:

I would guess this chart doesn't take into consideration torso length either. I have about 3 inches between my bottom rib and top of hip bone, the odds of me ever having a waist size indicated in the chart is pretty much non-existent, well at least without me having developed some sort of eating disorder.

I'm 5'7" all legs, no torso. My cousin is the same height and is more evenly proportioned. Our weight is within 5 lbs of each other. She is a size 8. I am a 12.

There are just so many variables.

I inherited my dad's body structure. :glare:

Me too :glare:

I'm 5'8" almost 5'9" with giant broad shoulders and hips that don't seem to quit. I've been 109 pounds (I looked like death walking), went to a comfortable 180 (I definitely looked and felt my best at this weight) and now I'm 225 pounds (Becoming a stay at home mom and having a major health crisis in the same 6 months was very unkind to me).

I know I need to lose weight, and I've been diligently working on eating less, moving more. I'm not unhappy necessarily looks wise right now, but I know as a pre-diabetic I need to do it for health reasons.

That's me. I'm a hobbit, short legs, short arms, stocky. I am skinny at a size 10, feel most comfortable at a 12/14 (which I'm working to get back to). Add to that I can get to a 8 at the top while being a 12 on the bottom at ideal weight. Shopping is so fun. :ack2:

I am densely built. I can weight 25lbs more than someone with the same measurements.

My mom, whose genetics I did not inherit, is perfectly proportioned. Clothes hang beautifully on her. I inherited my dad's body structure. :glare:

This is absolutely me. Unfortunately, I did inherit PCOS from my grandmother. Maybe that's why throwing out "average" sizes, proportions and appropriate waist sizes is such a turn off to me. I know that my body is just not meant to look average.

Here's a very recent anecdote about vanity sizing in our family:

Before I was married, I was 5'5" and weighed 115. At that time I wore a size 8 in most brands, including Talbots. In fact, I still have some very basic items in size 8 that I never threw out. (They're at the back of my closet, but I won't give up hope that one day I'll fit into them again.)

My 14-year-old is 5'6" and weighs 110 -- not too much less than I weighed before I was married. I had to find a suit for her to wear to her recent debate camp tournament, and I ordered one from Talbots in size 2. It was *way* too big. Even a size 0 -- if they'd carried that size -- would have been loose on her. But she can just about fit into a size 8 skirt from 20-something years ago. Talbots has made a HUGE vanity-size adjustment in the past 20 years.

I have the same issue.

There was a segment on Diane Rhem a couple years ago where the doctor she was interviewing said the rule of thumb is that wazir circumference should be half your height in inches. So, at 5'0", I should have a waist circumference of 30".

According to the BMI charts, I'm obese. I wear a 4-6 (have a 28-29" waist). One of our directors is a 5'10", solid muscle size 2. Her BMI falls in the overweight to obese range, too. It's a stupid chart.

I had a crazy experience yesterday. I HAD to buy some new clothes because we were taking an extended family picture. I took 7 or 8 shirts into the dressing room ('cause you know you have to try a million before you find one that is halfway decent). Well' date=' shockingly enough, they all looked okay. Dh told me to buy them. All. Dh does NOT spend money like that. Later, I asked him if he was embarrassed by my jeans/t-shirt combo that I wear all.the.time. He looked surprised and said 'no, but you came out of the dressing room and you were not crying- if you're not crying....we're buying it!"

I'm only a size 8/10....but I have huge bOOks and it makes everything look awful. Either it's too tight in the chest or I look like I'm wearing a sack.[/quote']

So where is this miracle store that has nice-fitting shirts?????