Menu

Let's think positive, folks! Describe a compliment someone's given you.

I'm feeling a tad heavy from the weightiness of recent posts. There's good stuff in them, no doubt, and life isn't always a chair of bowlies (;))...but, I think it's time to get some good juju flowing here, people.

So, in that vein, what compliment have you received that you really remember? Or what was the most meaningful thing anyone has ever said to you? Or what's something nice someone's said to you or about you in recent days or childhood days that you're still smiling about today?

Hoping this seems like the boost I want it to be and not just some goofy opportunity for me to toot my horn. Will you share your moments, too? Pretty please? :001_smile:

I'll start.

Two summers ago, I worked with a local artist, an older gentleman, whose painting was chosen the winner of a contest and was to be used as the image for our farmers' market posters that season. He and I had a limited number of opportunities to converse/interact during that time, but he knew me also from the market itself where he and his wife shopped each week.

One day he said to me, over the phone, "[Doran], I have to tell you something. I told my wife this the other day. If I was in a wagon train headed west, and I was choosing who I wanted to come along with me in my wagon, I'd choose my wife, and my kids, of course. But, I'd give anything to have you in the wagon with me, too." He then continued with a host of complimentary adjectives like smart, level headed, energetic, spirited...

I will never forget his remarks. I think it made my whole year!

I'm feeling a tad heavy from the weightiness of recent posts. There's good stuff in them, no doubt, and life isn't always a chair of bowlies (;))...but, I think it's time to get some good juju flowing here, people.

So, in that vein, what compliment have you received that you really remember? Or what was the most meaningful thing anyone has ever said to you? Or what's something nice someone's said to you or about you in recent days or childhood days that you're still smiling about today?

Hoping this seems like the boost I want it to be and not just some goofy opportunity for me to toot my horn. Will you share your moments, too? Pretty please? :001_smile:

I'll start.

Two summers ago, I worked with a local artist, an older gentleman, whose painting was chosen the winner of a contest and was to be used as the image for our farmers' market posters that season. He and I had a limited number of opportunities to converse/interact during that time, but he knew me also from the market itself where he and his wife shopped each week.

One day he said to me, over the phone, "[Doran], I have to tell you something. I told my wife this the other day. If I was in a wagon train headed west, and I was choosing who I wanted to come along with me in my wagon, I'd choose my wife, and my kids, of course. But, I'd give anything to have you in the wagon with me, too." He then continued with a host of complimentary adjectives like smart, level headed, energetic, spirited...

I will never forget his remarks. I think it made my whole year!

Coveting! Coveting! I would love that compliment. That would make my year too.

I don't think I have a fresh compliment to compete. I'm going to be inspired by yours, k?

Jo

Coveting! Coveting! I would love that compliment. That would make my year too.

I don't think I have a fresh compliment to compete. I'm going to be inspired by yours, k?

Jo

C'mon. Think harder. I just know there's one there in you -- floating around waiting to get all warm again. IMO, we women aren't always very good at "accepting/receiving" compliments, so they get pushed down and out. Or we wave them off with a shrug. Instead, we remember the rude, insensitive stuff as evidenced by the thread going on just now. I am SO apt to hold onto to those and lose the good ones. Dig, Jo -- dig! :D

This was one thing I had to mull over and decide if it was complimentary or not. My ex spent a lot of time pointing out how lazy I am, so my head was still in that groove--that I don't do enough, ever. And anything I did do was subpar, at best. So, when this happened, I had to think about the meaning and context, because I initially took it as a negative.

Anyway, what happened was, someone told me that I do too much and that I was stretching myself too thin. He went on to suggest I speak to our pastor about some of my duties and either find more people to help or find a new way to get the job done, because he felt it was taking too much out of me.

Now, I interpreted this as, "You suck at your job and it's not getting done well and we need to find someone who's good enough to do it." After two days of mulling this over, I saw this man at church and he suggested meeting with me to meet with the pastor to talk about this situation. I was still not quite sure how to take it.

So, a meeting was arranged, but on the night of the meeting, this guy had to work, so I figured I was going to meet with our pastor w/o him (our then head deaconess was invited to attend, as well, so she was there). Well, the meeting got started and in he came; he came to church to attend this meeting straight from work, just for me. My duties really didn't affect him or HIS duties at all. He simply made the time and effort to go to bat on my behalf. Once the reality of his presence at this meeting hit me, I almost cried. He valued my time. He valued my well-being. He thinks enough of me to make time to advocate on my behalf. My ex NEVER did anything remotely so loving, not with out strings attached and a high payment, anyway.

This man showing up for that meeting made me feel "loved" in a way I'd not felt in ages. I don't mean gooshy love, but honest caring and considering me valuable. That's the best compliment I've ever gotten: That I'm valuable to someone.

(Epilogue: I've been made head deaconess now, so obviously someone else thinks me worthy, too!)

Background: I have an older "cousin" who is almost an entire generation older than me. I have only seen him a few times in my life. I met up with him unexpectedly once at a homeschool convention when I was helping a vendor, and I was highly stressed.

Statement: He came up to me and we talked for a few minutes. I was glad to see him. Then, he said unexpectedly, "You remind me a lot of G______ (my maternal grandmother)." I said, "Wow, thanks. If I can be half the Godly woman she was, I would be in good shape. She had a hard life but she was always Godly and gracious. She was quite a lady." He replied, "Yes, you are right. Yes, she was quite a lady."

Explanation: My grandmother endured an abusive marriage to a mentally disturbed individual and tremendous physical problems. She died before she was 60 after being in the hospital for six months. She was a second wife and dealt with stepchildren in an age where that was NOT done. I always saw her with her Bible, she had a smile on her face, she was graciousness personified, and I never heard her say an unkind word to ANYONE (even when she was mistreated by hospital personnel and was in great pain and neglected there).

I guess it was the stress I was under, but after my cousin said that to me, I went off and sobbed. What a wonderful thing--to overcome adversity and have the love of Christ shine through your life. And he thought *I* reminded him of *her?!* He barely knew me, and yet he would say such a thing! I was totally blown away. I was completely humbled and inspired and thankful, all at once.

I feel like this explanation doesn't even touch the significance of this experience for me, but there it is. It was a profound moment that I will never forget. I pray that I will have even a portion of Christ shining through my life that woman had.

Well these are sort of compliments, but they are also two memories that mean a lot to me considering the history that I shared in the "insult" thread, you know?

On our wedding day I was standing at the back of the church waiting until it was time for me to walk in. Dh's mom walked over, put her hand to her mouth and told me that I was a beautiful, beautiful bride, and she did a little "fixey" thing to my veil.

I lost my first pregnancy very early on. Maybe around 8 weeks. While I was healing from the miscarriage we found out that dh's father had died. It was a shock, and of course we were around all of the friends and relatives over the next week. My relationship with FIL was good at the time of his death, but he wasn't one to talk about such things. At the luncheon after the funeral his business partner/best friend/dh of the woman who said our kids wouldn't have any friends told me that FIL had been devastated about the loss of the baby, he was really upset about it and was very concerned about me and said nice things about me being a good DIL all the time.

This one was from when I was about 14 years old..but it was lovely and has stuck with me ever since.

While hanging out with my friends at a local park...one of the guys there started swearing and another boy (who i had a large crush on) turned to him and told him not to speak like that in front of me. He then went on about how I never swore and always was polite ...well, the other boy never swore around me again and neither did anyone else....Funny that there were other girls there too, but i had made such an impression on this kid because the language I chose to use was not vulgar....I was so happy that I had a positive impact on that boy...he always seemed to be my protector after that....I think of it often as I speak in front of my children....To this day I don't swear or use slang. Partly due to that boy.

I'd say several members of my family are into words of affirmation as a primary love language.

But my husband recently told me that I am still the most interesting person he knows, and that's probably my favorite compliment. My Mom lays it on really thick, though. Apparently she likes the way I hung the moon:)

a glass of wine about Christians and judgmental vs. truly Godly people. I don't really consider myself to be one of those, "Godly on the inside and out," kind of folks. I'm pretty blunt and certainly opinionated, but I do have a very compassionate heart.

Anyway, my sister basically told me that she sees me as a true Christian; one who thinks of everyone else first. She recounted the day she told me that her dh's dad had just been diagnosed with lung cancer that had spread to his brain and basically it was just a matter of time. She asked if I remembered the first words I said to her in response. Of course I didn't, but she did. She said, "You asked, 'What do you need me to do?'"

She then went on to recall other things that I've done that have obviously made an impact on her, and, she felt, on others. I have to say it made me feel really great. We cried and talked and I really had a great feeling that there were times in my life that people really could see the Lord in me, even though I don't feel like it's nearly often enough!

So, in that vein, what compliment have you received that you really remember?

The guys who came and worked on our roof last summer got more then they bargained for. It was hotter and a lot more work then expected. I felt bad for them, and knowing most were single, I made a big dinner for all of them.

They loved it and while they were eating I asked if anyone needed anything else. One of the guys asked if I had any Italian dressing for the salad. Sure!

Umm, ok, maybe not. But I have the little packet and oil & vinegar. So i walk back into the dining room shaking the dressing and he looks in complete amazement and says, "You made this?"

Yes, I say.

Kid/guy says, "if he (DH) ever leaves you, I will marry you!"

Bwaahaahaa!!! He was so cute and dirty and heartfelt, you just had to see him!:D

It was adorable.

The other day we had some photographs enlarged at a lab and the guy asked my dh who took the pictures (I wasn't present). He told him that his wife took them and the man told my husband that they were impressive and looked professional.

That was a big boost!

After dd being sick and up at night a couple of nights in a row, I was very tired! dd felt better the 3rd night but had seen or heard something that made her afraid. So I got up with her again and was sitting in her bed just holding her and talking with her, which I consider a privilege because they grow up SOOOO fast! She looked up and said, "Mommy, you're just sooo good to me! I am sooo glad you're my mom, and I love you VERY much!"

That's about the best compliment I could ever get!

Oh, I DID think of another one: When we were engaged, dh and I happened to be in Albuquerque, NM while the Miss America Pageant was going on there (this was 1987). A clerk at one of the stores we went in asked, "Have you seen any of the Miss America contestants? They're in town here right now, and they sure are beautiful!" DH (to be) said, "Oh, I have the most beautiful woman right here (and put his arms around me), I don't need to see any others!" Pitter-Patter, THUMP-THUMP!!! :001_tt1::001_wub:

Those are the two best compliments I've ever received I think!!! :D

A year or so ago, the local homeschool moms' group asked me if I would come to one of their Mom's Night Out gatherings, and talk about whatever I wanted to talk about. Anything. They said that whenever they listen to me talk about homeschooling and mothering, they are awed and inspired. I was shocked speechless at their invitation, and the way it was worded. I did set a meeting night with them, and afterwards one of the moms came to speak to me privately. This is what she said:

"You and your family are the reason my Mom and I have the relationship we do now. Several years ago your family visited our church at night every Sunday for several months. I was a mom with young kids, and we never met, but my mom met you and observed your family and your flock of children, and how well-behaved your children were and how happy you all looked. When she found out from someone else that you homeschooled your kids, that was the moment that she accepted my future plans to have a large family, and to homeschool. Suddenly she thought my plans were totally the right thing, and she's been supportive ever since."

Now, I don't for a moment see what other people seem to see about me and my family. I'm amazed when I hear comments, and think, "who are they talking about?! Don't they notice that my house is a mess, my kid has been wearing the same socks for a week, we're four weeks behind in history, and I made 3 typo's in the bulletin this morning?" Still, I am so thankful that I seem to be making a positive impression. Hopefully people see it as a reflection of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

~Julie~

Well, the latest "shallow" compliment I got was my neighbor Steve calling me the "incredible shrinking woman" at our party last week. Apparently when he walked in the door he told my dh that I looked "just great". Dh said he was afraid he was going to suggest wife swapping.

And that's the other compliment I get continually - dh thinking that other men will be overcome by passion and try to steal me away. Every time he makes some comment like that I have to look at him sharply to see if he's making fun of me, but he always seems to be for real. What a sweetie. What a blind, benighted sweetie, LOL. It sure makes me feel good though.

As far as meaningful compliments....it's been awhile, but when I used to do daycare people would be "in awe" of how many kids I could care for that made me feel very proud. I loved it when I could honestly love another person's baby with the same kind of love I had for my own children - that's when I knew I was doing a really good job.

While at the pediatricians office one time recently my son (3) was acting up and suddenly said that I was a "mean mother" The pediatrician got this indignant look and just said to him point blank " Patient, caring, loving, attentive, dedicated ; your mother is all of those things. Mean, she is not, believe me I would know." It was one of those days that I really needed someone to appreciate me. I could have hugged her and cried and gushed all over her saying thank you but instead I was just stunned into silence.

Binalina

Mom to dd8, dd6, dd6, ds3

Okay! Apparently I have a way with smileys.....;)

But I remember another one.

The day my dh's command soccer team played the Navy Seals I was the absolute only girl on the field (of battle). After a few plays these fellas were a little miffed that a *girl* was able to hang with their physical style of play, so they stepped it up a little to keep their egos intact. After a particularly rough tackle on me I went down in a heap with one of the SEALs- he had slide tackled me with his cleats up and I was pissed!! A little scuffled occured as I was trying to detangle myself and I ended up flipping the guy over my shoulder onto the ground- pure adrenaline, I was so mad.

After I jogged off my one of my teamates came running up to check on me and yelled over my shoulder to the guy, "And she's three months pregnant! How you like that!?" :D

And can't remember if we won...it didn't matter.

Jo

I grew up with a very beautiful older sister who did not make my ugly childhood & awkward adolescence easy. I learned how to spell around well meaning aunties "I may be U-G-L-Y, but I am S-M-A-R-T."

Fast forward to a church marriage/relationship class we were enjoying as a way to ditch Sunday School (don't tell anyone.:D) The instructor went around the room and asked each husband to say what he admired most about his wife. We heard some great ones; "She is super organized." "The house is always clean" "She is a great mom." When it came to my sweet DH he said, without hesitation, "My wife is the most gorgeous woman I have ever seen." I just about melted on the spot. Many of the other women in the class later told me they wished their husband said the same thing. :001_smile:

In fact, years later one of those ladies was my teenage daughter's youth leader & she told my daughter how lucky she was because her dad really loves her mother.

That was my very favorite compliment. I still get warm fuzzies. He is out of town right now......drat!

Amber in SJ

I'm trying to think of a compliment based solely at me. . .

but until then, can I share compliments given to my family?

In the last two years (since we moved to present locale), we've received two compliments that mean a lot to me.

The first was by a lady friend, who told me of her first impression of my family.

She said she had never seen a family work together us such a "solid unit" before.

The other compliment was a given by an elder neighbor who said we were the only remaining "Rockwell family" in our city.

Oh, I've been complimented on my schedules. . .

A couple of days ago while grocery shopping my 2year old saw a stuffed animal and asked if she can have it. I said no but give that bear a hug so she did and I noticed a lady waiting to get by. I asked if I was in her way she said "No, I was just admiring how you told her no and she didn't scream or have a tantrum" I took it as a compliment but truth be told baby girl is an easy going child and handles being told "no" better than most.

My mother, who was not prone to compliments or insults, years ago once said that my pets were better fed, better groomed, and better trained than 98% of the children in the world.

And in her last months she said that the single regret she had in dying was that she wouldn't live to see my son grow up.

I also recall a lovely moment as a teen, when I was small, a late developer, a daydreamer in class, a social failure (not that I considered being "in" as desirable), etc. etc. on a camping trip when a huge storm burst out of no where blowing everything, raining on everything and the kids either panicked or did nothing, but I and two adults battened down all the hatches. Afterwards one said to quiet, never in the fore-front me "now we know what you are good at: emergencies".

Guest Virginia Dawn

People at church compliment me on my children all the time, and they've even seen me dragging screaming youngsters out of services.

My mother tells me I am the best driver in the family, all the time. I think my brothers have all frightened her with their "skills" at one time or another.

My father thinks I am like my grandmother, I wish.

Some ladies at church have told me I make "pretty" things. I'm pretty sure they were buttering me up to help with a particular project, but that's ok. ;-)

Two years ago, an old high school friend looked me up at Classmates.com. We'd gone to school our sophmore year together, and were great friends. (That was my "fun" year - I finally got booKs, got in shape, had a job, a great vintage pickup... I had fun that year. *grin*) Well, turns out he lives in FL now, and when the kids and I went to the beach that August, we called him and he joined us for supper. He's single, no kids, and was bowled over by the general "activity" of four children on vacation. LOL. He gave the kids a tour of the police station, and introduced us as, "Dy, and her six hundred children." I laughed, but it made me wonder what he meant... later, we were talking about the lives we've chosen and he said, "Motherhood suits you. It's obvious you love what you do and where you are now."

DH is very thoughtful about passing along kind words other share with him regarding our children, or our homeschooling. I think he knows that while I'd still do things our way, regardless, I find it encouraging to hear positive words and encouraging words.

He's also good about letting me know he still thinks I'm hot. I do appreciate that. :tongue_smilie:

he would have loved to have grown up with me because I would have been such a fun friend. He claimed I had lots of fun ideas.

Hanging onto this comment helped me get through those teen years with him - I kept telling myself that he was once impressed by me!:D

I had no self-esteem as a child but one year in school we were required to write an author. I wrote to Sydney Taylor who wrote "All-of-a-kind family". She wrote me a letter back.

A few years later I wrote back to her, I can't remember why. I received a wonderful hand written letter from her husband explaining that she had passed away. He complimented my handwriting and said I must be very creative. That was the kind of compliment my heart ached for, I still have the letter.

Today is one of those days I need to dig it out. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll tell you the best compliment that I ever received and it happened on Mother's Day.

Our family was discussing, the fruit of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5. We were talking about which was most challenging and which came more easily to us. Bud said, "Love just pours out of you, Amy."

I'm set on compliments for the rest of my life. :001_smile:

A couple years ago we were listening to a sermon on the Proverbs 31 woman. My dh leaned over and said, "You have almost every single one of those qualities." My first response in my mind was, of course, "Which ones *don't* I have?" But, then I realized what a true gift it is to have a husband who thinks I am anywhere close to the Proverbs 31 woman!! My dh is not one to throw compliments around if he doesn't mean them so that meant a lot to this "words of affirmation" girl!!

As far as meaningful compliments....it's been awhile, but when I used to do daycare people would be "in awe" of how many kids I could care for that made me feel very proud. I loved it when I could honestly love another person's baby with the same kind of love I had for my own children - that's when I knew I was doing a really good job.

I found your choice of words quite interesting, Jennifer...noting that some compliments are shallow while others are meaningful.

This is kind of what I was getting at in my encouragement to Jo. I know that, for me, some compliments "don't count as much". Maybe because they come from my dh, who is very quick to compliment, as are my parents. I realize how fortunate I am to have people like that in my life - I truly do realize that. But, it's almost like the compliments mean more coming from people who "don't have to love me." It's sad, really. I wish that wasn't the case for me. I wish I could accept any compliment as valuable and allow myself to really hear it, not the least of which would be remarks from people I love and who I know love me. Does that make any sense?

Okay! Apparently I have a way with smileys.....

...After I jogged off my one of my teamates came running up to check on me and yelled over my shoulder to the guy, "And she's three months pregnant! How you like that!?" :D

And can't remember if we won...it didn't matter.

Jo

I knew there had to be one in there. And, what a great story!! You need to tell that one to your kids and grandkids! :hurray:

I was taken aback by how much more quickly I could recall the insult despite the fact that the compliment was more recent and more heartfelt.

I work as an advocate for the elderly and disabled - and anyone else who needs help making the "system" work for them. I recently had to go to those agencies who send clients my way to ask for letters of support so we could get the funding to continue our program. It was such a gift to see our program through their eyes and know we were doing exactly what we had set out to do and in the way we had hoped that we were.

I think I'll copy those letters for the days when the world gets me down.

This Easter my mom told me that she woke up the day after Easter craving stuffing, my stuffing. She said that she'd realized I'd made stuffing just like she did and that it was "something" to know that the tradition has been passed on.

My mom is a wonderful cook. For her to compliment me on my cooking is a huge, huge, huge compliment. :D

My littlest has taken to telling me I'm the "best Mommy ever" with the most beaming face imaginable. I'm sure it won't last :) but I'll take it while I can.

My hubby is my biggest source of compliments.......though I'll keep those private!:lol:

My SIL (who has a rock hard body....she works out daily) saw me for the first time in a couple of months and said that I looked "great" and "tiny"! I've worked really hard to lose those last 10 lbs and have been training for a 5K, so I really appreciated the compliment!

My friend went to our local art show recently and, she told me that I should set up my art there next year because "I didn't see any that were any better than yours". That made my day because I'm so hard on myself and don't think I'm good enough.

One of the biggest compliments came from my non-complimentary mom. She's always complimented me to others, but doesn't tell me. My mom is an awesome cook and is very talented. One thanksgiving, she and my step-dad came to my house and I did all the cooking. The funny thing is that I came here (this was about 2001) and asked how to cook a good turkey. I basically combined three of the suggestions (brine it, cook it in a bag, and cook it up-side down) and my turkey wasn't the prettiest thing, but it was so moist it was falling off the bone. My step-dad said it was the best he's ever had and he still talks about it to this day. My mom asked me how I did it and then called me on another day to get the recipe. That's a huge thing coming from my mom! It made my day!:001_smile: My brother fried the turkey last year, and my step-dad whispered to me, "Yours is still the best!".

My oldest son left me this note propped on my computer keyboard (where he knew I'd find it right away) last week.

Mom, today was my last day of school. It's one of those things that you expect and know it's going to happen but still when it happens it leaves you in a daze. Today I walked out of my last class and I was stunned, like, "Wow, that just happened." My last day of school got me thinking a lot about my first days of school. I have had some amazing teachers over the years. There are a few I will never forget. But none of those teachers can compare to you. Not only were you a normal teacher like other moms who taught their kids how to walk and talk and share, you decided you were going to take on the job of school teacher too. I don't think I've ever told you how much I respect that about you. You knew it was going to be hard and I'm sure it was even harder than you thought. I know I made your job extremely difficult most of the time. I just want you to know that I can't imagine a better teacher than you. Some of my earliest memories are of you teaching me the Bible or reading Dr. Seuss or Daniel Boone. Because of you my love for reading and writing is still here. I think I got that from you. I remember me and you wouldd sit on the couch just like you do with Na now. We would read stacks of books almost as tall as me. I remember we would spend hours in the library or a museum buy I don't remember ever getting bored. I remember reading Give Your Heart to the Hawks with you. That is where I get my sense of adventure from too. We both love a lot of the same books because we have that same wannabe Indiana Jones personality. In fact most of the few characteristics I'm proud of came from you. My love of God, my love of nature, my work ethic, my constant questioning, my love of learning. They are all things that I see in you every day. It's almost like they shine out of you. But remember, even though I am no longer in school, I will always be a student. My love of learning is not going to stop. That comes from you. You are the one that taught me that. I just wanted to say thank you, I may be the one who got here, but you are the one that helped me get here. Thank you for being the best teacher I have ever had.

Love, Caleb

I just want you to know that I can't imagine a better teacher than you. ...remember, even though I am no longer in school, I will always be a student. My love of learning is not going to stop. That comes from you. You are the one that taught me that. I just wanted to say thank you, I may be the one who got here, but you are the one that helped me get here. Thank you for being the best teacher I have ever had.

Love, Caleb

Wow, Jenni. That is incredibly beautiful, and moving. Thank you for sharing that, and good for you! :001_smile:

I love to teach, not only my children, but also within the church. I filled-in for my SS teacher this past Sunday, since he would be coming in late. I had a woman from the class email me to tell me that she thought that I was one of the best teachers she had had the opportunity to listen to. I have also had several folks from the class stop me to let me know how much they enjoyed the class!

Now, I am off to do something menial in order to shrink my head size!! :001_smile:

Doran, I know exactly what you mean about some compliments being "worth" more in my eyes.

I so take dh and the kids for granted in many ways, and this is one of them. I feel like he's obligated to compliment me and it's kind of a running joke that I can take any complimentary thing he says and tease out the insult "implied" by it. I just can't help myself!

I am trying to do better, and it's kind of a theme with me right now, because I have been putting my family after my virtual friends and spending too much time missing my far-away friends to appreciate the people right here.

I would like to value each experience as its happening and focus on the "here and now".

"I love having your children over to play, I hope (her child's name) learns from their example, they are so polite and just generally very well-behaved. Having them over shows me areas I need to work on with (her child's name)."

Wow! This even included my dear sweet balls-to-the-wall, challenge everything ds3! For Dd7 this is normal b/c she's a sweet compliant child for the most part where ds3 is headstrong, vocal and not always willing to share. Apparently they behave very well when not in my presence. It was such a humbling compliment for her to give and God knew I needed it that day.

Here's the kick in the gut...the next day my ds3 did not want to come home so I had to go get him. He kicked, screamed and cried to stay and play- I literally dragged him home. I told the neighbor that he was not allowed over for a while that I had "grounded" him.

The next week when ds3 was allowed to go back over, the kids were told that her child was grounded for not obeying. She called me to apologize that her child wasn't able to play but she appreciated knowing that I had grounded my son and it really helped her to see a parent taking control of the situation.

Again wow! I guess her family and friends have a more lenient parenting style. It's really the best compliment I've ever received.

We had our 17th anniversary earlier this month. As we were discussing where to make a reservation for our anniversary dinner, we were reminiscing about what a good fit we two are. We're very blessed and very happily married.

I told dh that he was the perfect man for me, in part b/c he'd given me the self-confidence I'd never had before we met. He replied that he would not be the man he is today if he hadn't met me. When I looked puzzled, he told me that he would never had considered going to college, let alone graduate school, if he hadn't married me. B/c I encouraged him to consider school instead of re-enlisting in the Navy when his first term was up, his life was completely changed. I knew he could do well in college and grad school, but *he* didn't realize it until I encouraged him to try.

Despite knowing and loving him for almost 20 years, I had never known that he thought of his life/career that way. It was a wonderful compliment!

Lisa

madly in love with the world's greatest hubby

This is fun because reading your responses has brought memories of great compliments to the forefront of my thought. What a blessing.

From work a few years ago...did a lovely portrait of a 14 year old girl and her much loved horse. Her mom had been chatty and outgoing, but dad was quite reserved.

When projecting the portraits so they could figure out which ones they liked best, I caught a glimpse of dad in the light of the projector. He was crying.

Best compliment ever. Nice sale. The portrait eventually won a best in show award, but that didn't compare to dad's tearful eyes.

Personally, I have a non-religious friend in my writer's group who says I'm what she thinks Christians ought to be. (I wish I were, truly.) Humbling.

And an lol, a male friend whom I enjoy like a younger brother, noticed my purple fingernails while we were discussing the local pro baseball team...he said you know you are such a weird girl, purple nails, gardening, but you can talk sports like a guy and are interested in so many unusual things.

:D I like being an out of the box kinda gal.

And on my blog, people let me know my words encourage them. That makes my day!

This is a great thread, because I rarely remember compliments people pay me. So here are a couple (I could use more than one today!!!)

My ds, 7, told me I was pretty (a first for him.)

I have very challenging children, and this is no secret. But every now and them some person I respect will tell me how sweet and wonderful my children are (guess that's more of a compliment to them.)

I ran into an old acquaintance at the homeschooling convention who told me that she missed me and really wants to get together. She just called me yesterday) to say that as soon as convention season is over (she's a vendor) we'll do that. That might not sound like much, but I had a tough winter where I wondered if anyone liked me. Now old friends are coming out of the woodwork. Plus this new one.