Menu

s/o am I the only one....

I am also a person who has disabled texting on my phone. I just find it really tedious and inefficient (probably because I only "type" on my phone when I'm adding to my contacts list). People do know to email me, though, for text communication, and I check my email pretty frequently.

I don't text by choice. I don't think texting is bad or anything, and I know a number of people who seem to be polite about their texting habits. However, the number of people I know who are normally polite individuals with good manners who are very rude in my opinion with their texting seems to be growing daily (and in my circles, it's mostly adults). Again, I see nothing wrong with texting and can see the benefits. At this point, though, I'm really annoyed with the whole idea and wish it would just go away. :lol:

I did not mean to offend anybody...but I know people (family members actually...and not all kids) who are normally, under most other circumstances very polite...but when it comes to their cell phone and texting whoever, for whatever, become so sucked up by it that the rest of the world doesn't even exist. Just like many other things in our world, there are people who are responsible and those who aren't...but it seems like the texting, cell phone use and other technology devices are being used by kids younger and younger and nobody is teaching them how to be responsible or polite...that is just my opinion.

I just wanted to assure you that I wasn't offended.:):grouphug:

I hear this all the time and it just touches a nerve with me.;) A lot of the time, the person (and I'm not saying you're guilty of this) makes it sound like they are superior like, "Texting is rude. I am not rude. Therefore, I do not text and never will."

Same thing with Facebook: "Facebook is a huge waste of time. I am a good time manager. Therefore, I don't do Facebook and never will."

Of course, no one says it in those exact words but I've seen implication there a lot. Again, I'm not saying that you implied it. Just that I see it a lot.:)

I don't text either. My cell phone is for emergencies only. Only dh, my mom, and my sil have the number. If anyone needs to reach me, they can call my home phone, which I only answer when I'm available anyway.

See? This is where we differ. I race to the phone even when I am not available to do so. I will run over my own baby --or even my kitten ---with the shop vac to get to my phone so that I can text!

:tongue_smilie:

Edited by LibraryLover

I just started texting last fall. My college students taught me how. ;) I don't have a keyboard, so there was a bit of a learning curve in figuring out how to use the numeric keypad to actually produce the words I wanted it to produce.

I'm actually really, really glad I do it, because I hate talking on the phone. Well, there are a very select few people that I do enjoy talking with--my parents, my best friend, and my DH, and I think that's it--but other than that, I just loathe using the phone. I just want to convey information and then get off as soon as possible. I don't know why, because I will totally talk your ear off in person, but I do not enjoy talking on the phone. So texting is a nice way to get information to people without having to get into a long, uncomfortable, unenjoyable phone conversation.

Texting is a practical option for me - I can control the length of the "conversation" and it is actually possible for me to make my point without a small someone interrupting or wanting to chat to whomever I am speaking to. I can lock myself in the bathroom to text, but if I try that with the phone they find me. I am old-fashioned, though, and mostly use proper English in my texts, and I don't text while someone is talking to me!

I think it's unfair to assume that those of us that don't text are being "old" and "sour."

I do see that there are situations in which texting is the most convenient option. It's just that I don't have any of those situations in my life. :D

I also think that texting can be extremely rude and sometimes dangerous (as can many other things). For example, when I was on a college campus, I saw girls walking around texting, oblivious to their surroundings, and even crossing a busy street while texting, a street where there have been several fatalities in recent years. That is not safe.

But I don't think texting is the antichrist.

I don't text. I have very few people in my life who I care to converse with anyway and when I do want to talk or need to get info to them I just call. If it is inconvenient to call then I wait.

I don't have a problem with people who text except for when I'm trying to have a conversation with them and they feel it's okay to text during our conversation. Is it just me or isn't that considered rude? I also have an issue with a couple of my dd's friends thinking that texting at my dinner table is acceptable. They each did it only once though...now they know better.:tongue_smilie:

Texting can be great way to get a message to someone who might not be able to talk right that moment. I mainly text my teenagers and sometimes DH. With the kids it's usually because they texted first, but sometimes I need to let them know something and they may not be able to answer the phone or respond immediately.

I don't text while talking to live people and unless it is a call I must answer that moment (kids at home for example) I use the ignore feature on my phone and call who ever it was back when I can. Cell phones are useful little items, but they are not an excuse for rudeness.

Cell phones are not an excuse to talk in theatre.

Cell phones are not an excuse to abruptly end conversation with live people.

And cell phone are definitely not an excuse to not apologize after nearly backing over someone's children because you were talking on your cell phone.

Texting is cheaper than talking on cellphones in NZ. I text, but refuse to use "txt language" :D (much to my dc's disgust.) Texting is much quicker & less obtrusive than phoning a cellphone. We get texts from scout leaders, coaches, etc. My dc all learned to text before they were allowed to get a cellphone at age 13. Dh refuses to text & will phone me instead. We pay heaps more each month for his cell phone use because of this. We each have a prepay cellphone & if I don't need to make many phonecalls, $20 will last the month easily for texting. We all have basic cell phones with only the numeric keypads. It is a bit of a learning curve, but texting does get easier.

The NZ government has encouraged texting during recent national disasters (EQs) as texting doesn't overload the system as much as voice calls. I like the fact that texts are on my phone until I delete them, so I can reread them as needed, like an email. I can, also, decide to wait to read/answer texts if I'm busy, but phone calls I need to take even if it's inconvient.

JMHO,

I'm another who doesn't even own a cell phone (I did have one of DH's old, old ones once, just for emergencies, but that's died now, and I can always borrow DS's in an emergency). So no, I don't text. Never have, but might one day :D.

Cassy

I hate texting. DH and I only use it on rare occasions, like when I think he might be in a meeting but want to leave him a message; texting is less intrusive than the phone ringing. And I usually send the texts from the computer, because it's faster than typing on the phone. As a general means of communication, though, I am not a fan of texting. I'm not really a big phone conversationalist, either, though. E-mail is generally my preferred method of communication.

who doesn't text people? I don't have a phone with a real keyboard becasue we have tracfone...and we can't afford to do anything different...but I feel like such an outsider becasue I don't text...and yet I have no intention of doing so either....I, personally find it very annoying when people are constantly texting someone especially in the middle of a verbal conversation I am having with them...or when you are trying to have a verbal conversation with a teenager and they talk like they text...or worse yet, they write like they text...the kids don't even know how to spell "because" properly...to them it is "cuz"...am I alone...if so, that is fine...this is not the first time...nor will it be the last...I was just curious.

I don't have time to read all the pages, but I can say I don't text and can never see myself starting. It really bugs me when people text in public when they're supposed to be doing something else (listening to a speaker, eating dinner with another person, or something). I don't care what they do on their own time (on a park bench, eating alone, etc).

I despise getting e-mails from people who carry over text-writing. I often just delete them.

not alone. I have one cell and it's the basic. my dd don't need a phone because everyone has one. we don't text but my friends and DDs friends do all the time. i too get grr when I am talking to someone and while they are suppose to be talking to me they are texting as well. i sat at a park with one mom for thirty minutes and the whole time she was talking to me and texting. we never met up again after the meet up.

I thought I would never text. We upgraded our cellphone plan when the older kids got phones (at 16 and 14) to unlimited texting. Holy cow, texting is so useful with active teenagers! Newly independent drivers can text before leaving and upon arrival at their destination. I can keep abreast of schedule changes with afterschool activities. Dh and I can have conversations during the day without interrupting dd's homeschooling like phone calls do.

I'm not on Facebook and I don't text - two for two (nor do I have the slightest desire to do either). What a luddite! :D

Luddites Unite!:D I don't Facebook, text, twit (or is it twitter?), etc either.

My preferred form of communication is email---doesn't interrupt anyone else, one reads it in one's own time, one can think about what one wants to say, etc. I don't really enjoy overmuch talking on the phone and I forget to check my answering machine (yes, it's a machine, not voice mail, which I thought to check even less when we had it because days would go by when I didn't pick up the phone;)). My cell phone is usually not on unless I leave the house (and remember to charge the battery). I rarely use even our basic number of minutes a month.

I realize it's likely that I will need to explore some of this when my daughter becomes a teen, but, as of now, she has no legitimate need for a cell phone, much less the ability to text or facebook. She's dying for a phone, but considers mine (which doesn't text, doesn't have games, doesn't have a camera) to be roughly the equivalent of chiseling on stone tablets:D. A quote, "I'd have to go into the bathroom so no one saw me using that!" Makes me want to go to the Goodwill and search for the biggest bag phone I can find, preferably with shoulder strap and corded handset, and present it to her just to see the look on her face.;)

I, personally find it very annoying when people are constantly texting someone especially in the middle of a verbal conversation I am having with them...or when you are trying to have a verbal conversation with a teenager and they talk like they text...or worse yet, they write like they text...the kids don't even know how to spell

I do text, as do my kids. And, for what it's worth, not everyone who texts has the problems you mention.

None of us would dream of texting a person while speaking to another. That's just rude. It has nothing to do with the technology, just manners.

My kids spell correctly, even when texting (as do I). To do otherwise is not the fault of the technology, just laziness.

I've found texting useful, because it allows me to pass along information without potentially interrupting other people.

For example, while my daughter was away at school, I could text her a note asking her to call me when she had a free minute. I could let her know, quickly, if there was an interesting piece of news about life or a friend back home. She was busy with classes and college life, and it was a quick and easy way to keep in touch and pass along information that didn't require a phone call.

While my son is in dance class or rehearsal, I can send a text letting him know I might be five minutes late to pick him up and that he should wait inside the building until I get there. He can send me a text, quietly, without interrupting rehearsal, if he wants to let me know rehearsal may end early or late or if he would like me to bring a snack.

Honest, it's just a way to communicate. It's not evil. And it needn't lead to the downfall of polite society as long as we all mind our manner and use some common sense.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

WE haven't texted hardly at all. That said, I think I will be changing to texting. I have hearing problems and often have to hand over a phone to someone else just to tell me what is being said. I don't call much anyway. I maybe make about 60 calls a month.
I imagine that texting was a major breakthrough in the hearing-impaired world. Ds18 played basketball against a deaf school, and I was struck by the amount of texting that went on in the crowd. I thought that was cool.

I text. I like being able to quickly communicate with my dc or dh as well as sending quick "thinking of you" texts to my bff who is now 500 miles away.

I don't text. I have very few people in my life who I care to converse with anyway and when I do want to talk or need to get info to them I just call. If it is inconvenient to call then I wait.

I don't have a problem with people who text except for when I'm trying to have a conversation with them and they feel it's okay to text during our conversation. Is it just me or isn't that considered rude? I also have an issue with a couple of my dd's friends thinking that texting at my dinner table is acceptable. They each did it only once though...now they know better.:tongue_smilie:

Just curious...Would you think it was rude if you were having a conversation with someone and they answered a phone call from their spouse, child, mother, or any person that they felt that they needed to answer? Would you think it was rude if that person stopped a conversation to answer the question of a spouse, child, friend, or whoever was standing in the same room? I just don't get it. I will admit that being more engaged in the text conversation than the verbal exchange would be rude but I have not had that happen. Most times it is a quick text or two to confirm something that the person feels is necessary to address. It has never bothered me.

By the way are you referring exclusively to teenagers or adults as well? With a teen I would probably ask them if it was their parent and if not, could it wait. There are social skills that they need to learn and as a parent I feel it is better to be kind and explain things rather than just assume they are intentionally rude. Another poster was right when she stated that those things need to be taught.

Just curious...Would you think it was rude if you were having a conversation with someone and they answered a phone call from their spouse, child, mother, or any person that they felt that they needed to answer? Would you think it was rude if that person stopped a conversation to answer the question of a spouse, child, friend, or whoever was standing in the same room? I just don't get it. I will admit that being more engaged in the text conversation than the verbal exchange would be rude but I have not had that happen. Most times it is a quick text or two to confirm something that the person feels is necessary to address. It has never bothered me.

See, I wonder about this too. It seems lately that many times I'll be having a conversation with someone and they'll be interrupted by a text and pause to read it and answer back. This is adults I'm talking about, not teens. And, yes, I do think it is kind of rude, unless they're expecting an important message. And by the frequency that this happens, I doubt that all those messages are important. I would not answer a text or a phone call from someone while I was carrying on a conversation unless I was expecting an important message. If someone interrupts me in person, that's different. I'd expect them to say "excuse me" and make a quick request or whatever and keep the interruption to a minimum.

Do people who are texting during face to face conversations never think they are behaving rudely? How about people who are texting during board meetings, etc? I ask, because this happens to me frequently, too. I'm just curious if these people ever question if what they are doing is rude? I'm thinking they see other people do it and it's become the "accepted norm" so they figure it's OK for them to do it too.

I text. a. lot. :) I got my first cell phone at 17. That was 12 years ago and I have been texting ever since. I send and receive thousands each month. I use proper English and spell correctly. DH, I and my twins have a phone and it is a $20 add-on for unlimited texting on all three phones. DH and I do have smart phones. I even check my FB on my phone :) For me it is very helpful, especially while homeschooling, to be able to text. I don't disturb my kids while they are working but can "talk" to my best friend (another SAHM) or my DH at work.

My 75 year old dad learned to text a few years ago when my mom was dying of cancer and had a tumor pressing against her voice box. He sends me picture messages of his garden and his dinners, lets me know how dr appts went and sends me I love you messages. He isn't a "talker" so I like that this helps him keep me updated. Now that we have moved away from him, my 10 year-olds text him all the time because they miss their Papa so much! (They have a phone because of serious health issues, it makes me feel safer if they can text me from Sunday School if they are starting to get hives or feel their lungs tightening rather than waiting for their teacher to find me in service.)

It seems lately that many times I'll be having a conversation with someone and they'll be interrupted by a text and pause to read it and answer back. This is adults I'm talking about, not teens. And, yes, I do think it is kind of rude, unless they're expecting an important message. And by the frequency that this happens, I doubt that all those messages are important. I would not answer a text or a phone call from someone while I was carrying on a conversation unless I was expecting an important message. If someone interrupts me in person, that's different. I'd expect them to say "excuse me" and make a quick request or whatever and keep the interruption to a minimum.

:iagree:

I thought texting was dumb... until I got a phone with a keyboard. Now, I am a fan!

One can text responsibly and courteously, and I've found it to be a very helpful tool for daily life.

-My husband's job has him working in a lab, gloved up, and usually wrist deep in body parts. So calling him at work had to be reserved for really important stuff or emergencies only. He said he didn't mind me calling with an update on the kids' dr appointment or a request to pick up milk on the way home, but I rarely would knowing it meant a big inconvenience for him. Now, I can simply text him a message and he can read it at his convenience, quickly and easily.

-A good friend had a baby last week, and I've been able to text back & forth with her about when to stop by with meals or what errands I can run for her, without having to worry about calling at a bad time or waking her or the baby.

- I was recently the soccer team mom. It was lovely to be able to send updates, changes, and reminders to the parents who text. I did ask specifically each parent whether they preferred texts or calls. 6 of 8 preferred texts and so did I, because I typed it once and sent it to all 6, quick & simple. The other two parents I had to call and leave messages or chat with, and it took three times as long to contact those two parents than the other 6.

I appreciate that texting is not going to work for every family or budget. But I do think it is the way of the future, and will likely soon be as indispensable as email and internet.

See, I wonder about this too. It seems lately that many times I'll be having a conversation with someone and they'll be interrupted by a text and pause to read it and answer back. This is adults I'm talking about, not teens. And, yes, I do think it is kind of rude, unless they're expecting an important message. And by the frequency that this happens, I doubt that all those messages are important. I would not answer a text or a phone call from someone while I was carrying on a conversation unless I was expecting an important message. If someone interrupts me in person, that's different. I'd expect them to say "excuse me" and make a quick request or whatever and keep the interruption to a minimum.

Do people who are texting during face to face conversations never think they are behaving rudely? How about people who are texting during board meetings, etc? I ask, because this happens to me frequently, too. I'm just curious if these people ever question if what they are doing is rude? I'm thinking they see other people do it and it's become the "accepted norm" so they figure it's OK for them to do it too.

I know what you mean. It is not unusual at all to go to dinner at a restaurant and have people checking their cell phones every five minutes because some friend, etc., isn't there and wants to have a conversation. I find that extremely rude.

I don't mind at all if someone has kids at home and says, "excuse me a moment."

The number of people who find texting and carrying on a conversation in real time acceptable seems to me to be rising. I think it's more the norm than not the norm.

I get the draw - we're all so used to multi-tasking it's hard to stop and concentrate on one thing at a time. When I'm talking on the phone at home, I sometimes feel like checking my email. I make myself go into another room where there's no computer. I do feel it's worth trying to curb the impulse to multitask when spending time with friends.

How come every time someone declares they don't text, it has to be added that texting is rude and cell phone use is out of control?:confused:

I do text. And I text very responsibly thankyouverymuch.;) I do not text during a verbal conversation unless I have left my kids at home or something. Then I will ask the person I'm talking to, "Would you mind if I check that text? My teens are home alone with the little guy." I then check. If it's something important I will tell whomever I'm talking to. If not, I put my phone back in my purse and ignore it.:D

Texting (and cell phone use) is not evil. Yes, some people are rude. But if they are rude when it comes to cell phone use, they are probably rude when it comes to other things, too. It's a useful technology that can be used by responsible people.

:rant:

:iagree:

I don't text because I don't know HOW! Also, we seldom use a cell phone around here except when traveling so that probably is why I never had the urge to learn but I just might try it! I have sent texts via my email account when trying to reach someone who I know does text!!

:iagree: I'm with ya! Can't stand the texting thing. But then again, I may be in a different camp from the others b/c I don't have facebook, twitter, tweet, or anything else. I can't stand the email I have, but have it for convenience and the world seems to operate on it nowadays.

Our extended families live at least 8 hours away and more so I have found using skype bridges the distance and we can visit that way more often than driving 8 hours once a month which is unrealistic.

OK, OK, so I got off on a tangent.........

I'm a bit perplexed at those who seem to feel the only alternative to texting is a phone conversation. I don't understand why email is not seen as an alternative (or at least very rarely mentioned). I send my husband email messages at work, or leave a voice mail if he's not available. He can check those as easily as he could check a text message and they are less obtrusive (or at least no more so than a text from what I can tell). It really astounds me the number of people who will use Facebook or text all day long, but either refuse to email or act like you've suggested the Pony Express (at best) as a means of communication if you suggest an email.:confused:

I'm a bit perplexed at those who seem to feel the only alternative to texting is a phone conversation. I don't understand why email is not seen as an alternative (or at least very rarely mentioned). I send my husband email messages at work, or leave a voice mail if he's not available. He can check those as easily as he could check a text message and they are less obtrusive (or at least no more so than a text from what I can tell). It really astounds me the number of people who will use Facebook or text all day long, but either refuse to email or act like you've suggested the Pony Express (at best) as a means of communication if you suggest an email.:confused:

I use e-mail, too. But it's not always appropriate for the same purposes. Not everyone can check e-mail or voice mail as easily or quickly.

For example, when my daughter was at school, she was often out of her dorm room and about the campus for hours at a time. Only my husband has e-mail access on his phone. So, if I sent her an e-mail, she might not see it until evening. However, sending a text meant she would see it the next time she checked her phone in between classes.

Same thing with my son at dance classes and rehearsals.

Also, I am aware that my husband's employer can look at his work e-mails. So, if there's something personal or maybe a phone call from a recruiter for a different company or whatever, I sometimes prefer to text him on his personal phone.

Edited by Jenny in Florida