Menu

Ear piercing

I always told my daughter she could have her ears pierced at 12yo. It is days away and I haven't planned it out yet!

I heard over the weekend that Claire's can be icky, not sterile enough? So, I called our pediatrician's office - they do it for $35 at well visits. We already had her well visit this year, but they left a message for our doc to see if she would do it anyway.

Do you put in little gold ball earrings for first earrings. I was reading online that surgical steel is more typical. I used to get terrible rashes from non-gold earrings, and I want to avoid all problems if I can. Thanks for any tips!

We just had it done for my middle schooler. We had it done at Sweet and Sassy. She chose ones that have her birthstone (don't think it's real). It was $44 plus tax. I had them do both ears at once. :D We chose steel for no particular reason. They did a great job. The guns they used have the whole cylinder thingy in a sealed bag, so there is no contamination risk.

My daughter had it done the first time at the pediatricians office and one piercing was slightly higher than the other.

She landed having allergy issues to the metal so she had to let them close.

We tried again years later and had them pierced at Claires at the mall. It was empty when we went and it was actually a much better experience than the doctors office. They did them perfectly.

Unfortunately we had to let them close again. Gold, no gold, allergy free metal, stainless steel, anything you can think of gave her an infection (or turned her ears green :confused:).

I think it must be the person doing the piercing? We have always used Claire's or Icing. Never had a problem. They have done about 7 different piercings for us (not all on the same person, LOL). My oldest has hers double pierced and two cartilage piercings, mine are double pierced and my middle daughters are single pierced. I plan to use them again for my 8yo this summer.

I would make sure I went when they are not busy though. I have also had them use two people to pierce both ears at the same time. That was for my oldest when she had her first set done. She was 8 and was so not scared until time to have it done....and they tricked her, told her they were just going to practice...counted over her head and did it. She was so glad they did....obviously it has not deterred her from more piercings :001_huh:

We just had it done for my middle schooler. We had it done at Sweet and Sassy. She chose ones that have her birthstone (don't think it's real). It was $44 plus tax. I had them do both ears at once. :D We chose steel for no particular reason. They did a great job. The guns they used have the whole cylinder thingy in a sealed bag, so there is no contamination risk.

We went to Sweet and Sassy, which I think is like Claires. It worked out great because they did both ears at once. They have several starter earrings to pick from.

I think it must be the person doing the piercing? We have always used Claire's or Icing. Never had a problem.

I would make sure I went when they are not busy though. I have also had them use two people to pierce both ears at the same time.

:iagree:

I've done Claire's for all of my piercings (3 in each ear), and for dd's first piercing last fall (she was 5). No problem at any of these times; they very carefully followed procedure and did a great job. For dd, I also had two people do her ears at once, and she barely cried (and she is Queen of Drama).

The fun thing about doing it at Claire's is also getting to choose some fun earrings for when you're able to change them.

We always go with a hypo-allergenic stud, usually white gold. We have not had a problem with infection.

What an exciting time! I hope it all works out beautifully. :001_smile:

I heard that a great place to go is a tattoo stuido. They are artists use to dealing with needles.

I would highly recommend going to a professional piercer and having it done with a needle rather than a gun at a salon or at Claire's. It hurts far less and there is less tissue trauma. Some tattoo studios also do piercing, or you may be able to find a local piercing studio.

Do NOT(I know it is rude but this is crucial) get shampoo or hair product on the piercing if whe bathes rather than shampoo be sure to rinse, rinse and rinse again. Poor dd had to use steroid cream from hair product getting on the newly pierced ears. Steroid cream saved the day!!! No shampoo without rinsing really well and absolutely no conditioner, hair product etc this causes most "allergic " reactions. And nickel rather than sterling or gold.

I agree that the pediatrician would be at the bottom of my list. Tatoo/piercing places are incredibly sterile, but call ahead to see how many young kids they see. Many places have someone on staff that takes care of the young and scared :) My 16yo got her nose pierced on her birthday and she said it was way less scary than having her ears pierced at the mall. Try Yelp.com for unbiased reviews.

If you have no piercing place nearby, I would choose the mall over the pediatrician for the reasons already posted.

Be sure she cleans them religiously and that she spins them every time she thinks about it. The more often they are spun, the less likely they will grow over the posts. Also, we loved H2Ocean

spray. The nose healed ridiculously fast with this stuff.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

I heard that a great place to go is a tattoo stuido. They are artists use to dealing with needles.

I would highly recommend going to a professional piercer and having it done with a needle rather than a gun at a salon or at Claire's. It hurts far less and there is less tissue trauma. Some tattoo studios also do piercing, or you may be able to find a local piercing studio.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

This is a big issue for our family. DH & I have moderate body mods and, because of our personal research & experience will not let our DC be pierced anywhere that uses a gun, or by anyone who is not a professional piercer. There are no regulations for boutique piercers. (In OH, they actually took piercing privileges away from beauty salons, but let places like Claire's & Walmart continue with the piercing.) JMHO, but I wouldn't trust my DD's ears to a high school or college student making minimum wage at the local mall.

Also, surgical quality stainless is the way to go on earrings.

Unfortunately we had to let them close again. Gold, no gold, allergy free metal, stainless steel, anything you can think of gave her an infection (or turned her ears green :confused:).

This was me too. I battled with it from 5th grade until I got married at 22. I wanted earrings desperately but every kind of metal gave me an infection. It was awful. Now I have no earrings at all. I've thought about the magnetic earrings.

OP I had mine done at a jewelry store - Not claires...but like a real jewelry store.

We have a Piercing Pagoda kiosk in a nearby mall. Is that better than Claire's?

I had mine done at Piercing Pagoda when I turned 12. I do think they are nicer than Claires. Someone mentioned Icing, and if that is related to the Icing where I live, that is also nicer and more professional than Claire's.

My first earrings were something hypo-allergenic, because my mom had issues with earrings. Later I discovered I could wear cheaper jewellery without a problem. Now that I'm older I'm more sensitive to the cheap stuff.

My daughter got hers done at Pagoda a couple years ago.

I think it's much better than Claires.

2 gals were working the day my daughter went there so they each did an ear :001_smile:

My dds both had their ears pierced at Piercing Pagoda. The second was more nervous and so had both ears done at the same time. She was afraid if they did one first and it hurt, she wouldn't want the second done. Afterwards she said it was a piece of cake. The earrings are pre-packaged and the employee doesn't touch them at all. The package fits in the "gun" they use. They clean the ears with alcohol, mark them, and then "staple" them with the "gun." Neither one of my dds had any problem with infections.

Mary

I took dd to a piercing/tattoo place that I had thoroughly checked out. I made them autoclave everything that touched her, although the needle was disposable. They had a really nice (and colorful) woman who did dd's piercing, and it was a grand adventure.

However, I will tell you that many piercing/tattooing places can have some pretty objectionable things on display. Don't take a child and sit in the waiting room without vetting it first, if that's the way you choose to go.

I got all three of my girls' done at Claire's. When I was pregnant with my firstborn, I worked at Piercing Pagoda. They give you (at least they did then...) all of 30 minutes or so of training on how to pierce, BUT, you do it so often, people usually get pretty good at it quickly. The guns, earrings, everything is sterile, and they use alcohol to clean everything. I wouldn't use the pediatrician's office, either. They just don't do it enough, although, on the other hand, it's really not all that difficult. ;)

I went to a tatoo and body piercing shop in the University district. Dicey area, but great piercing. I would go with gold. I had trouble with mine for almost a year. Then I put a gold ring in and it cleared up in a week. The original one was 'silver' probably surgical steel, but it still didn't work out.

I don't know if I'd take my daughter there, but it was a great place to get the piercings done.

Echoing those that suggested a piercing/tattoo shop rather than Claire's or other places that use a gun rather than a needle.

This link explains some of the reasons to avoid piercing guns.

As an aside, I had my ears pierced when I was 9 or 10 by a friend of my mom's who used a sewing needle, ice cube, and a potato----strange but true:D

Even stranger, a few years later, I pierced two of my friends' ears using the same method :blushing: :001_huh: Maybe I missed my calling...

We did Claire's and all was well. They had lots of cute earring studs to select from, and there was very little, if any, pain involved. They also gave us excellent instructions on aftercare. Oh, and her earrings are even.

My mom took me to a nice jewelry store when I was a kid and I had to get one ear pierced 3 times before the lady could get it in the right place.

Lisa

Check the regulations in your state.

I really wanted to get my DD's ears pierced at a tattoo/piercing place. However, here in CO, I read that 16 WITH parent's permission is the youngest that is allowed. My DD is not going to want to wait until she is 16 to get her ears pierced, so we are now looking at going to Claire's to get it done.

I have double piercings and a cartilage piercing that I had done at Claire's and they have never given me any problems. But I am also very picky with what earrings I wear so that might help.

I researched gun vs. needle and decided on a professional piercing/tattoo place. The earrings the piercer could use were a bigger gauge than the normal piercing earrings so he suggested we go to Claire's to buy some, being sure they were real gold, and he then put them in the autoclave.

My daughter said there was no pain and if she has a daughter, she'll take her to a piercing shop too. :001_smile:

Check the regulations in your state.

I really wanted to get my DD's ears pierced at a tattoo/piercing place. However, here in CO, I read that 16 WITH parent's permission is the youngest that is allowed. My DD is not going to want to wait until she is 16 to get her ears pierced, so we are now looking at going to Claire's to get it done.

I have double piercings and a cartilage piercing that I had done at Claire's and they have never given me any problems. But I am also very picky with what earrings I wear so that might help.

Really? That's crazy high... Why wouldn't that be the standard for all piercings, I wonder? In Ohio, it's 6 with parental consent for ear lobes. It would seem that the safer method would be approved at a younger age than a boutique with a gun, IMO.

Being as my husband is a tattoo artist/body piercer, I'm going to add my vote to the few who suggested that instead of some mall shop. :)

I'd had mine done twice (department store and Claire's type place) and both were never right... and I was allergic to everything. Finally I decided if it was ever going to work I was going to have to get it redone by someone who really knew what he was doing, so I went to the local (established, extremely well-respected, clean, etc.) tattoo and piercing place. I had a larger-than-normal hole done to get rid of some of the scar tissue, and I've had only titanium rings in them. And for the first time in my life they aren't itchy and threatening to close at a moment's notice! Six years now and no problems at all. I wish I had done it that way the first time.

My daughter had her ears pierced a couple of years ago. In retrospect, there are many things I would do differently. First, I didn't go to Claire's because I had heard some stories of things that had happened (maybe few and far between) so I opted for the pediatrician's office. I figured if there was a problem at least we were in the right place. I guess the positioning could have been better (maybe he doesn't do enough). However, my daughter still had several infections which prompted the dr. to think she would only be able to wear expensive earrings in the future.

I had followed all the procedures as far as cleaning them but I think the biggest mistake was not using a quality earring for the initial one. Now that her ears are completely healed, she can wear whatever she wants. I also agree with taking her to a professional piercer. My daughter thought I was joking when I said I wish I had taken her to one. She wants to now have doubles but if I allow it, it will have to be done at a professional shop.

Echoing those that suggested a piercing/tattoo shop rather than Claire's or other places that use a gun rather than a needle.

This link explains some of the reasons to avoid piercing guns.

As an aside, the article linked here would mean more if it were actually researched. I don't think it would be that hard to actually nail down the training given - - I mean, the author basically did what we can do here on the board, just said that certain things don't "seem" like they're the best way, and she "guesses" that other things aren't taught. Find out, lazy writer.

My dds had theirs done about 6 months ago. I always thought I would do the ped's office or something rather than a mall place, but when push came to shove, I knew oldest dd's needle phobia would never survive the experience, and she desperately wanted them done. We happened to be at the mall one day, Claire's wasn't too crowded . . . boom, we got it done!

I did notice the girl glanced at the directions before doing it, lol, but she was quick and efficient, they came out even, and we haven't had any problems. The girls are meticulous about cleaning and turning them, and they've only worn cheaper earrings once or twice, for less than a day, so I think that helped. Also, another poster mentioned being cautious with shampoo and hair products - in what was perhaps an overabundance of caution, their ears were about the only body part they cleaned for several days :D. No shampoo, conditioner, or soap got within a three foot radious of their ears, lol.

As an aside, the article linked here would mean more if it were actually researched. I don't think it would be that hard to actually nail down the training given - - I mean, the author basically did what we can do here on the board, just said that certain things don't "seem" like they're the best way, and she "guesses" that other things aren't taught. Find out, lazy writer.

Training aside, and I do agree you should find out someone's track record before you let them pierce your children's ears, the fact remains that there are integral differences between piercing guns and needles that are explained in the article: With a gun, the earlobe is actually being pierced with the jewelry itself, so there is obviously more trauma to the ear than there would be with a sharp, hollow needle. And, there is more control using a needle than a gun.

Bad article or not, those are the main reasons I decided we will not go with a piercing gun for my youngest when she's ready to have her ears pierced.

We are one of the families that had a bad experience with Claire's. My poor girl's ears got horribly infected. We had to let the holes close, and it took another year or so before she was ready to have them pierced again (this was never, ever at my prompting; she has always wanted pierced ears). I took her to the tattoo studio where I got my second tat, and all went well. The girl there was amazing with her, and we were given a cleaning solution/process that didn't hurt (largely including salt water) and worked. We had no problems with infection the second time. We stick with surgical steel/gold earrings since she does seem to react to traditional posts over time.

Training aside, and I do agree you should find out someone's track record before you let them pierce your children's ears, the fact remains that there are integral differences between piercing guns and needles that are explained in the article: With a gun, the earlobe is actually being pierced with the jewelry itself, so there is obviously more trauma to the ear than there would be with a sharp, hollow needle. And, there is more control using a needle than a gun.
I think the ideal combo is a needle and a fixed bead earring. The butterfly back studs get gunky and have to be a haven for bacteria. Fixed bead earrings (a small hoop with ends pinched into a bead) are easier to clean and won't adhere to the back of the ear.

Here's a picture of DD the Elder with a fixed bead ring. It was taken the day of the piercing.

4230064727_3aaca6fdea.jpg

I'm going to (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th?) a professional tattoo/piercing shop. Pick a good, reputable shop. They are much more experienced than the 16 year old down at Claires or Piercing Pagoda. (The piercer who did all of my piercings regularly went to new classes, conventions, etc. to keep up on her skills). Using a disposable needle is also much cleaner, the piercing "guns" can't be cleaned all the way.

DD had her ears pierced at 6 months (shock!!! :tongue_smilie:) at her ped's office. Tiny, single use pieces that I was very happy with. She marked DDs ears, made sure they were even, and then I watched as she opened the new packages and then threw them away. (Oh, and after doing the first ear we checked to make sure it was still even.) When she gets around to wanting a second piercing (which... I'm imagining will be soon since Mommy is getting a new one this summer.... :D) she'll be going to a professional piercer.

I think the ideal combo is a needle and a fixed bead earring. The butterfly back studs get gunky and have to be a haven for bacteria. Fixed bead earrings (a small hoop with ends pinched into a bead) are easier to clean and won't adhere to the back of the ear.

Here's a picture of DD the Elder with a fixed bead ring. It was taken the day of the piercing.

Yes! I really like the idea of the fixed bead ring rather than the usual stud and butterfly back.

Thanks for posting that!

And, really, that's the bottom line.

The guns aren't truly sanitary either no matter how "spotless" everything looks. They just simply can't be cleaned as well as a needle. Inspections are more stringent at a tattoo parlor as well.

This is being said by a mother who has had FOUR daughters get their ears pierced at Claire's - don't do it. It isn't that they didn't do a good job. It isn't that we dealt with infections. It isn't that it was unclean. It's none of those things. They weren't horrible experiences at all. HOWEVER, after doing the research this last time 'round, it should be done by a TRUE professional. I also wouldn't mind a pediatrician assuming he'll use a hollow needle and not a gun which is what I would assume to be the case.

That is exactly what I think I want. Where did you find those earrings?

My daughter isn't immunized bc of a medical exemption - genetic disorder in her brother that can compromise her immunizations also. SO, I think that limits us to her pediatrician IF she would even do it. They'll call me back today I think! Thanks everyone!

That is exactly what I think I want. Where did you find those earrings?
The piercer we went to uses these with kids by default. Another advantage is that they do not catch on clothing.

I always told my daughter she could have her ears pierced at 12yo. It is days away and I haven't planned it out yet!

I heard over the weekend that Claire's can be icky, not sterile enough? So, I called our pediatrician's office - they do it for $35 at well visits. We already had her well visit this year, but they left a message for our doc to see if she would do it anyway.

Do you put in little gold ball earrings for first earrings. I was reading online that surgical steel is more typical. I used to get terrible rashes from non-gold earrings, and I want to avoid all problems if I can. Thanks for any tips!

I had heard what you've heard and so went to the doctor with first dd. I think it was like $70 and I wasn't impressed that it was any better than my experience at the mall as a teen myself.

With second dd, we went to claire's at the mall. We went in the morning on a weekday. No one there. They did the same thing. They cleaned the "gun" in front of us. Cleaned her ears. She got a bottle of cleaner for her ears. (They did all this at the doc office as well. Just letting you know that Claire's was fine!)

Neither daughter had any infection or problems.

I had already posted to this thread to say that as the wife of a tattoo artist/body piercer, I agreed that a place like that would be a good choice, as long as you go to a clean, reputable one. Wanted to post one more time though after seeing those pictures. My daughter has those "fixed bead" earrings too (also known as captive bead rings). Hers are purple niobium. She loves them. And yes, piercing needles are WAY "cleaner" and less traumatizing to the body than piercing guns are!