Menu

37 weeks pregnant today and baby is still transverse.

I know that I should try to find a chiro who does the Webster Technique, but I'm afraid. I keep thinking the cord is wrapped around baby (esp. her neck) and that's why she won't go head down. I'm afraid if the Webster is done that she might get hurt (or worse). I know with it the chiro just basically adjusts you, but I'm still afraid.

I really think it helps to come on her and admit my fears. My Dr. *won't* do an external version on a transverse baby. I haven't had a c-section before and I'm fearful of *that* too! On top of everything else, I'm tired, hungry and emotional. Sigh...Oh yes, I've tried the stuff on spinningbabies.com to no avail also.

Thanks for listening to me. I really need someone to listen without judgeing me. Oh, as long as I'm at it, I'm tired of ppl making preggo comments about when the baby will come too. My Dr. said that since neither her head nor her butt is pressing against my cervix, there's a strong chance that I *won't* go into labor. She said not to worry about it at this point. I know I shouldn't, but...I'm big and PREGNANT lol.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Been there...done that. Kiddos #3 and #4 were both transverse from 36 weeks onwards. Got in there sideways and had no inclination to change. With #3, we tried the webster thingy AND an external version. Neither worked. He was delivered happy and healthy via c-section at 39 weeks.

With #4, I was scheduled for a c-section at 40 weeks with little Miss Transverse, but went into labor the night before surgery. Labor with a transverse baby is no fun. The doc had to work a little harder to deliver her (contractions, you know), but again - healthy 8lb+ baby.

So - if the baby DOES manage to turn itself, well - that's a good thing! But, if not, we are lucky to live in an age where c-sections are an option and have positive outcomes for these little sideways kiddos.

There is probably no real correlation, but these two are my most creative thinkers.:tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:

when I got upset about pregnancy issues it helped to remind myself that even with weird issues and all my fears, I live in a day where even with odd issues, my likelihood of delivering a healthy baby and surviving the delivery were still fantastic. Even if the delivery was not my ideal.

My great grandmother was not so fortunate. She lost SIX babies!

Is the baby still moving a bunch? If so, he/she is probably fine!

My youngest was transverse and the thing that fixed it was getting the stomach flu. lol The mw said that the action of my diaphragm thrusting up and down and leaning over the bucket....well...I know that's TMI, lol.

I would go to the chiro if I were you. :grouphug:

I know that I should try to find a chiro who does the Webster Technique, but I'm afraid. I keep thinking the cord is wrapped around baby (esp. her neck) and that's why she won't go head down. I'm afraid if the Webster is done that she might get hurt (or worse). I know with it the chiro just basically adjusts you, but I'm still afraid.

The chiropracter makes room so that if baby WANTS to turn, it can. It does not turn the baby at all. If there is a good reason for baby not to turn, it won't.

Also, a full third of babies are born with the cord around their neck. It is NOT a big deal. Heck, mine had it around her neck and then spiraled around her body, the midwive's assistant calls my daughter "the one with the crazy cord". No big issue.

I hope that helps!!!!

You should also check out spinningbabies.com for advice on positions to use to free up some room in there. If there is anything you can do to help avoid a c-section I would do it. I would also advise listening to the hypnobabies track "turn baby", which you can download from their website. And read up on "family friendly" c-sectoins on the ICAN website, just in case.

Hugs!

With #3, we tried the webster thingy AND an external version. Neither worked. He was delivered happy and healthy via c-section at 39 weeks.

With #4, I was scheduled for a c-section at 40 weeks with little Miss Transverse, but went into labor the night before surgery. Labor with a transverse baby is no fun. The doc had to work a little harder to deliver her (contractions, you know), but again - healthy 8lb+ baby.

Given this, if you had a transverse baby again would you recommend scheduling the C-section at 39 weeks? Or take the risk of waiting to 40 weeks and maybe going into labor? (but also give another chance for the baby to turn)

The chiropracter makes room so that if baby WANTS to turn, it can. It does not turn the baby at all. If there is a good reason for baby not to turn, it won't.

Also, a full third of babies are born with the cord around their neck. It is NOT a big deal. Heck, mine had it around her neck and then spiraled around her body, the midwive's assistant calls my daughter "the one with the crazy cord". No big issue.

I hope that helps!!!!

You should also check out spinningbabies.com for advice on positions to use to free up some room in there. If there is anything you can do to help avoid a c-section I would do it. I would also advise listening to the hypnobabies track "turn baby", which you can download from their website. And read up on "family friendly" c-sectoins on the ICAN website, just in case.

Hugs!

:iagree: The Webster technique is nothing like an external version. The chiro does not turn the baby, but does adjustments to help remove impingements so that the baby will turn if able.

I had a hospital birth with #1 and home birth with #2 and both were bad. I had a c-section with #3 and it was great. Really quick recovery, no scar to see today, really nothing to fear. We are blessed today to have these interventions when they are needed. Don't fear at all. Every blessing, too.

Been there...done that. Kiddos #3 and #4 were both transverse from 36 weeks onwards. Got in there sideways and had no inclination to change. With #3, we tried the webster thingy AND an external version. Neither worked. He was delivered happy and healthy via c-section at 39 weeks.

So - if the baby DOES manage to turn itself, well - that's a good thing! But, if not, we are lucky to live in an age where c-sections are an option and have positive outcomes for these little sideways kiddos.

There is probably no real correlation, but these two are my most creative thinkers.:tongue_smilie:

So, from what I understand that you're saying is the baby can still turn during labor? Is that risky to try? Say I'm in labor for x amount of hours and she still doesn't turn, would that make a c-section more risky? Maybe I should ask my Dr. that one:001_smile:.

when I got upset about pregnancy issues it helped to remind myself that even with weird issues and all my fears, I live in a day where even with odd issues, my likelihood of delivering a healthy baby and surviving the delivery were still fantastic. Even if the delivery was not my ideal.

My great grandmother was not so fortunate. She lost SIX babies!

Your poor great grandma! I really feel for her.

You win if the baby is healthy. Period.

C sections are not that bad anymore. :grouphug:

I agree, if baby is healthy...I win;)!

Is the baby still moving a bunch? If so, he/she is probably fine!

My youngest was transverse and the thing that fixed it was getting the stomach flu. lol The mw said that the action of my diaphragm thrusting up and down and leaning over the bucket....well...I know that's TMI, lol.

I would go to the chiro if I were you. :grouphug:

Yes, she's moving quite a bit. In fact, twice a day she has really "hard" movements and it feels like she's trying to do gymnastics and then I feel her a few times much lighter during the day/night.

I hope that helps!!!!

Hugs!

That does help! Thanks. I kind-of had it in the back of my mind that that's what the Webster was about. I need to start making calls...

Check out spinningbabies.com They have some exercises you can do yourself that will encourage baby to turn. Hugs sweet mama.

I've been doing what they suggest, but so far, it's a no-go. Thanks for the suggestion.

So go have an ultrasound done to see where the cord/placenta is first, then go to the chiro. For that matter, your chiro might do it while watching an ultrasound. That's what we did and will do again if necessary.:grouphug:

Check out spinningbabies.com They have some exercises you can do yourself that will encourage baby to turn. Hugs sweet mama.

YES! My first was transverse until 38 wks. Dr was going to turn the next day.

I had been doing the exercises (on back, head on the ground, butt in the air) for a week and that night baby turned on his own.

Dr didn't really believe me when I told her but she checked and he was head down!

Keep doing the exercises-they work for lots of women! Sometimes in the last few days before birth!

Can you get an ultrasound to locate cord and placenta if it will help to ease your mind?

I've seen it go both ways. My best friend had a c-section after laboring for 30 hours with a babe who was hopelessly tangled in his umbilical cord. Her second delivery was a breech VBAC. I have another girlfriend whose kept them guessing until the day before she went into labor -- that baby was upside down, right side up, and sideways in the weeks leading up to delivery, and then turned head down again the day before she delivered.

I have had two vaginal deliveries in which the cord was wrapped around baby's neck, but they both had high APGARs.

A healthy momma and baby are the most important goals of delivery. Hang in there. I would be nervous, too. :grouphug:

I had a transverse baby. I went to a chiro for Webster. This is the technique:

-- Lay back on table (which was angled up slightly). Dr. rubs a ligament on my side, near my hip. Does the same on the other side.

-- Sit up. Dr. rubs two spots on my back.

-- If I wished, she would also adjust my neck, but that has nothing to do with Webster. Just the ligament rubbing to help loosen things.

I found the Webster to be comfortable and easy.

The rest of my story.....just for info.....

My baby turned head down at 39 weeks and my midwife had me go to the hospital for induction that night. I will say, however, that I did end up having a C-section after a 2-day labor, and the cord was around DD's neck. (She was FINE, just not going down....it's as if she knew it wasn't safe). Next child, I opted for a scheduled C-section.

My baby didn't turn until around 37 weeks. I'd been doing the spinning babies suggestions, then the night before my doctor's appt, she flipped. It HURT! I definitely felt her flip, but when I went the next day, the doctor confirmed that she'd flipped. I just said "tell me about it!". There's still time for your baby to turn on her own, try not to worry. After all, you could still have 3-4 weeks left. Hmmm, I'm not sure if that's encouraging or not! :)

My dd was transverse until labor, then she flipped around. They put me on the pit on some sort of high dosage and that worked. I don't know that I'd suggest this method, but I would certainly find out if there are cord issues, just to ease your own mind.

My DD2 was head down until 40 weeks. Two days before she was born, she flipped completely breech. I agree with a pp who said it hurt! I was like what the heck are you doing in there? I had a c-section when I was in labor at 8+ cm. She was 9lb. 4 oz. at birth.

A mom in my Bradley class's baby was transverse. She did go into labor on her own, and the baby turned head down while she was in labor.

So I just wanted to say that there is definitely time for your little one to turn! I personally would not schedule a c-section. I am glad the option is available if needed, but just because they are routine doesn't mean they should be. It was much more difficult to recover from than vaginal birth with DD1 (even though that was a very long difficult labor/birth). I also had trouble bonding with DD2 afterward my c-section. I am glad that at the very least she was able to come when she was ready.

Good luck!

Edited by SBMama

Definitely try the chiropractor and keep doing the exercises on spinningbabies. If it will ease your mind, have an ultrasound. I had two sons with cords around their necks twice! My last baby's was around his neck twice and under both armpits. It was 4 feet long! All of my babies were also OP until I was in active labor and one was delivered that way. It didn't feel good, but they all came out. I'll be thinking head down baby vibes for you.

My DD2 was head down until 40 weeks. Two days before she was born, she flipped completely breech. I agree with a pp who said it hurt! I was like what the heck are you doing in there? I had a c-section when I was in labor at 8+ cm. She was 9lb. 4 oz. at birth.

A mom in my Bradley class's baby was transverse. She did go into labor on her own, and the baby turned head down while she was in labor.

So I just wanted to say that there is definitely time for your little one to turn! I personally would not schedule a c-section. I am glad the option is available if needed, but just because they are routine doesn't mean they should be. It was much more difficult to recover from than vaginal birth with DD1 (even though that was a very long difficult labor/birth). I also had trouble bonding with DD2 afterward my c-section. I am glad that at the very least she was able to come when she was ready.

The reason to have a scheduled C_section, if you know you are likely to end up at C-section, is because of this recovery. My sister had 1 C-section after a long labor and 2 scheduled C-sections and she has told me the recovery from a scheduled C-section is NOTHING like the recovery from a C-section after labor. Her 2nd and 3rd C-section recoveries were much easier.

I was scheduled for a C section and that night my wonderful son :glare: decided to turn around all by himself 5 days before he was born. And I was tiny! After giving birth to him I walked out of the hospital in my pregnancy jeans. Size 10. So you can always hope he turns. It could happen.

1. I never made it to 37 weeks with Sylvia, but she was transverse pretty late in my pregnancy and did eventually move. For whatever that's worth.

2. If you do have to have a C-section, I totally understand what that's like. I had to have one with Sylvia and I strenuously did NOT want one, but it was the ONLY way she could come out alive. I know you know what's most important - healing from a C isn't too terrible. And we'll all be here to listen too.

Given this, if you had a transverse baby again would you recommend scheduling the C-section at 39 weeks? Or take the risk of waiting to 40 weeks and maybe going into labor? (but also give another chance for the baby to turn)

Well, kiddo #4 went to 40 weeks because she was SUPPOSED to be a VBAC, but apparently didn't get the memo about VBAC not working for transverse babies, LOL! Kiddo #3 (also transverse) was delivered scheduled at 39 weeks because - well, both my OB and I were huge and pregnant. She did the c-section for me (with an assistant), then had her own baby 2 days later.

If I was to do it again (and I'm not) and had another transverse kiddo (very likely), I would have no problem waiting until 40 weeks again.

I'd suggest trying out the Webster Method as has already been posted. An ultrasound would help determine if the cord is around your baby's neck.

The chiropractic care helped me during my pregnancy to get ds6 from transverse to head down. He stayed horizontal for as long as he could though ( I think until about a week before my due date) and he also stayed up high until just a day or so prior to my delivery.

Boy was it uncomfortable, you could see a clear outline of his foot on the right side of my body and when he kicked..ouch!

Just a note that if you do end up with a cesarean, it is truly NOT the end of the world.

My fears for the c/s recovery were far worse than the reality. FAR worse. I had a c/s with my first due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP and was quite sick from the pre-e after delivery, so I wasn't sure what was normal c/s pain and what was from the pre-e. I had been very determined to have a natural birth and put some guilt on myself about everything being different than I'd planned. (48 hours of induction on my left side not moving due to high bp- 170/110- eek... nothing of that was in my birth plan!)

I was really dreading the second c/s with my second daughter...

As it turned out, she was transverse and my water broke at 37w0d. I had a c/s that evening- no contractions. It was SO easy. Seriously.

There are great things about the whole natural birth thing... but the general anesthesia and basically taking a nap and waking up with a 2nd beautiful daughter... that's pretty sweet too!! (I chose the general anesthesia after the epidural didn't work, just FYI in case that sounds odd!)

The recovery from a c/s if you have not labored and you aren't exhausted from that is pretty decent. It isn't painfree by any means, but I wouldn't let it scare you! They have good drugs that help!

Hang in there!!! I hope your little one turns, but if not, the c/s is NOT terrible!

Edited by mamakimberly

No advice or opinions to share, but I can share your due date....:grouphug:

I'm 37wks today as well. My little guy flipped about a week ago from breech, and my first two kiddos flipped even later.

Hang in there, Mama, the light at the end of the tunnel is nearing. No matter what route you decide to go, you'll likely soon have a sweet babe in your arms to snuggle....

I had a c/s for transverse lie when I PROM'ed at 33 wks. Her cord was long and wrapped around her neck, then around her chest, then down between her legs, up her back and around her neck again. Often there is a reason babies are transverse.

That said, I did use Webster technique to flip my persistently breech baby and it worked.

I agree... get a u/s to ease fears about cord/placenta placement and then go to a Chiro to help make room. Also... some babies just like hanging out in transverse. I know lots of mamas whose babies turned late. A good friend of the family has eight kids... every last one of then refused to budge from transverse no matter what they tried. The babies all turned on their own approximately 24 hours before she would go into labor (all were born vaginally). By the time she was expecting her 4th her OB didn't even bother to try and shift baby/schedule a c-section - those babies turned when they were ready to leave and not a moment before!

Update:

Sorry, my original post won't let me edit! Anyways...I went into the Dr. for my weekly check last Friday. She felt the outside of my stomach and said, "I think the baby is head down now." Then she checked my cervix and found it to be 1 cm dialated and she really thought she was feeling the head! So, she sent my for an u/s right then.

Indeed, baby is head down, with lots of amnio fluid and estimated to weigh 6 lb 14 oz. I was 37 weeks and 4 days when they did this. I am now 38 weeks exactly today and can feel the baby's butt up. I'm just praying that the baby decides she wants to be born SOON lol.

Update:

Sorry, my original post won't let me edit! Anyways...I went into the Dr. for my weekly check last Friday. She felt the outside of my stomach and said, "I think the baby is head down now." Then she checked my cervix and found it to be 1 cm dialated and she really thought she was feeling the head! So, she sent my for an u/s right then.

Indeed, baby is head down, with lots of amnio fluid and estimated to weigh 6 lb 14 oz. I was 37 weeks and 4 days when they did this. I am now 38 weeks exactly today and can feel the baby's butt up. I'm just praying that the baby decides she wants to be born SOON lol.

Great update!