Menu

Curricula you've been happy with this year...let's start a list

Halcyon

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. K12's History 4: Absolutely excellent! Coherent and interesting.

2. K12's English A (the literature part): The selections are good and the instruction is clear.

3. Lively Latin: The format of this made it easy to get done.

4. MCT Town materials: My son loved these books, though I think we're going to move away from MCT next year. It's getting a bit repetitive.

5. Science Explorer Earth: While not the most inspiring text in the world, it got the job done.

Let's see...

Math Mammoth - working for the twins, but not so much for dd. She's switching over to Teaching Textbooks next year.

Sonlight Core 6 & LA 6 - sort of working--we are stretching it out over 2 years and adding in more books, but we've been mostly happy with it.

Rod & Staff English - We started it late in the year (I forgot I had it) but the twins are really enjoying it. They even told me they want to use it again next year!

Story of the World - Love this series! I just wish there was something just like it for middle school level, although dd still uses it and really enjoys it.

Life of Fred is a big hit here, to the point that my dd asked me to please buy her the geometry text for next year, even though she'll be at the public high school :D

Florida Virtual School Chinese & Adv. LA 8 have been wonderful. We will be continuing with the Chinese for as long as we can.

BrainQuest and Kumon workbooks are loved by 2 of my children.

Math Mammoth (6 weeks in so far). We've been using MUS for a couple of years and we're just sooooo tired of it. I'm thinking about Singapore for next year. We only ended up using MM because I could get it immediately via download.

My youngest has loved using Funnix phonics.

They all like HWT. Me not so much. I think the style is ugly, but whatever. At least they don't complain about doing it, right?

My 8th grader loves SL Core 100 and my youngest loves SL Core K. I've really struggled finding a good fit for my middles though. I think we're going to attempt HOD Preparing next year and see how that goes.

RS4K ~ so far my youngers have done level Pre-1 Chem & Bio, as well as level 1 Bio. My 8th grader used Chem 1 w/ KOGS and learned a bunch. Now she's using Apologia Physical Science. I wish that the level 2 texts were already available.

Edited by Upward Journey

♥ this thread!

This year we have loved:

Math U See (still! it's a miracle! dd12 begged me not to switch her math for Algebra 1, so we're sticking with it for the long haul.)

VP History - NT Greece & Rome with Easy Classical (love!) Looking forward to next year with the next course.

Natural Speller

IEW

Just about everything else is on the chopping block... big overhaul for next year. :)

Prepping for CLEPs has actually motivated my 15yo dd. She also enjoyed Pacworks Biology.

TT Math--I love it. DS loves it.

Scripps Spelling Bee for DS--the minigames play to his visual strengths. He didn't even come close to passing spelling tests with typical workbook pages. Now he has nearly all perfect scores. He also takes his spelling tests on the computer. He looks more closely at the words when he types them.

The Grammar Link 3--I put together teaching and practice links from various sites onto a Google site for ds. Grammar just seems to be a great fit to do on the computer, and I couldn't find what I wanted.

https://sites.google.com/site/thegrammarlink3/

Destination Reading Course 2--my son BEGGED to do more everyday. He finished the entire course in about 3 months. Unfortunately, there's a big jump between Course 2 & 3, so we're using BJU reading 4 first. He loves the BJU stories, so we're good.

SOTW--DS begs for me to read more nearly daily. These are great.

Science--reading Usborne & DK books on his own. I hear,"Hey, mom! Did you know?" multiple times daily.

We've gotten into a great groove and are both liking most of our subjects. I don't want to stop for summer. . .

Jennifer

TOG-- love it!

SOTW and MOH MP3s-- We used them to supplement our TOG. We did eventually get the SOTW Volume 1, and the kids love reading that about as much as they love listening to the CDs.

MUS-- A MIRACLE for us!!! Loving it!!

Apologia's Botany-- Kids are having a ton of fun with it.

Song School Latin, Song School Greek, and The Greek Alphabet Code Cracker-- DS especially adored these.

Funnix-- DS(4) loved it, until my computer crashed. :P

Bob books-- DS(4) is loving these. :)

Can we ask s/o questions here?

Scripps Spelling Bee for DS--the minigames play to his visual strengths. He didn't even come close to passing spelling tests with typical workbook pages. Now he has nearly all perfect scores. He also takes his spelling tests on the computer. He looks more closely at the words when he types them.

Jennifer

JenninMN - Can you tell us how you use Scripps? I've never heard of it before, so found the national Spelling Bee info online but don't see what to do with it. Thanks.

Would you mind telling me what ages/grades you used this with and did you do it with a program or on its own? Thanks

Sorry, I just saw this post. We borrowed MFW adventures from a friend but only did the history portion with the read alouds and also exploring american history also by christian liberty press. For the 1st time even my 5yr is loving history! We use it with a preKer, 1st, and 4th.

Edited by MyLittleBears

Sorry, I just saw this post. We borrowed MFW adventures from a friend but only did the history portion with the read alouds and also exploring american history. For the 1st time even my 5yr is loving history! We use it with a preKer, 1st, and 4th.

Thank you!

AAS - LOVE it. Changed it up a bit to fit my dd7's learning style, and she has just taken off

FLL- dd7 LOVES it. If you ask, grammar is her favorite subject

MFW Adventures State Sheets - dd7 cried when we did the last one, she loved doing them

What about dd5? Well, she doesn't like a thing! LOL

JenninMN - Can you tell us how you use Scripps? I've never heard of it before, so found the national Spelling Bee info online but don't see what to do with it. Thanks.

Sorry, that wasn't clear was it? I meant Scripps Spelling Bee for NINTENDO DS. http://www.amazon.com/Scripps-Spelling-Bee-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003P9DMNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1304630014&sr=1-1

I put my son's spelling words in for the mini-games. He tends to copy words letter for letter when he's doing copywork. He wants to get high scores on the DS games, so he just glances at the words before he spells them. It's worked incredibly well for him. He'll also be doing summer math with Personal Math Trainer for DS. It's straight math, no real games,but just beating your own fastest time. He loves it.

Jennifer

HOD--We had an unexpected move and lost two months of school (one to pack and one to unpack). HOD made it so easy to fit in our days. My DC also love the activities and readings

Singapore--The more I teach this the more I get it! I also am reading Liping Ma and it's making even more sense.

R&S English--So quick and easy.

ETC--My DC never complain about working on these! (and I can fold a load of laundry while they're working on it...or spend a few more minutes on here) :blush:

Tiffany, I find it interesting that your youngest is 7 and you are gonna do FIAR next year. My dd is nearing 6 yo and we have no plans to stop with FIAR anytime soon. Seems the common trend here is to move on after K. I just see so much in there that is so rich that I want to keep using it for dd, and she loves it too.

I totally agree, we are loving it here and are learning so much! Even my 9yr old loves to participate when we do FIAR.

I think this program gets overlooked a lot in favor of "doing more" but really we are doing more in such a gentle way with FIAR that it almost seems too easy. :)

I have found the ladies on the FIAR boards to be very encouraging, they have all continued on after K and have shared their wonderful experiences.

Our happies this year are:

History Odyssey level 2: my oldest is LOVING the timeline and outline approach.

Hake /Saxon Grammar and Writing 5

Oak Meadow 5: loving the flexibility

Bear Necessities, UK Phonics program: youngers love it

My absolute favourites for the year:

OPGTR -- I love this book. I couldn't teach my kids to read without it.

PLL and ILL -- These have really been the perfect grammar books for us.

Argument Builder -- DD 13 has flourished with this book

Didache Textbooks -- These are highschool level, but they're too good to leave off my list.

LOF -- So much fun. My kids beg to do math.

Singapore -- Love it every year.

SOTW -- My all time favourite.

TOG, Year 2- loved it- lots of fun!

Daily Geography has made geography so fun & so easy.

Newer favorites:

Nancy Larson Science 1- for the first time Science is getting done in my house & the kids are loving it.

Nora Gaydos Readers

A Reason For Handwriting

Evan-Moor's Daily 6 Trait Writing and Building Spelling Skills

Big Wins

Singapore Math

Scott Foresman Reading books (Given to us by DD's school-she LOVED having a BIG book of her own, loved reading the stories, and loved doing the workbook pages (printable from online).

Song School Latin

Greek Code Cracker

Basher Science books (not a textbook, but ended up being the core of our science curriculum)

Scratch programming

Scholastic News en Espanol

Honorable mention

Latin For Children A

Minimus

Song School Greek

History Pockets

SL core 1+2-overall a win, but I did so much tweaking to the schedule that I'm not sure I can say I really used Sonlight as more than a book list

Not for us

AIMS Complete curriculum science

Hey, Andrew level 2 (too repetitive)

Evan Moor Grammar (too easy in lower grades, too much writing in higher ones)

Shurley English (too repetitive)

Elementary Spanish

Complete book of Spanish

Looks good so far (only used a couple months or less).

MCT Island

Hands on Equations

Spanish for Children

What worked for dd -

Saxon/Hake Grammar & Writing 5, the grammar portion only - can NOT sing the praises high enough! We've had grammar EVERY year & tried a dozen programs - the Saxon spiral method seems to be the only thing that works for her, because this is the first year she's finally been able to identify parts of speech, subject & predicate, etc.

Holt Science and Technology Earth Science - switched to this after becoming frustrated with Real Science Odyssey, and not really finding anything else out there that I liked at all. I won't say it has been a favorite, but it's solid science and the retention has been high.

Girls of Many Lands series - discovered these through our SOTW3 studies and have read the whole series through, she really enjoys them.

Sustained silent reading time - she's gone up at least two grade levels in reading ability this year, and her standardized test scores reflect it. Beginning of the year she was reading books like the Warriors series, now she is reading the Eragon books. We don't 'study' reading formally, we just read, so all the improvement in her scores is due to this.

What worked for ds -

Saxon Phonics K - he loves this, often asks for it, and is reading short, phonetically regular words with ease now.

Science Fusion - we did the online sampler for Grade 1 that I found on Scribd for this upcoming science program, and he LOVED it. I cannot WAIT until it is available, a definite must for next year.

letting him set the schedule and pace - sometimes we don't do preschool for days on end and he plays outside or draws or plays with toys, sometimes he asks to sit down and 'do homeschool' and we'll go through a week's worth of phonics or math in an hour. He's retained it all, so it works for me.

Math Mammoth - Great, easy to implement, and my son really understand math now. Also is set up to make it easy to accelerate or remediate.

Writing With Ease: BEST THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had to drop back to level 2 for my 5th grader, who has working memory deficits, but OMG it is now clicking! His memory has improved SOOO much and now the dictation is easy!!!! I'm so glad we backed up rather than banging our head on a wall. Now we are doing every other lesson to speed through. (and this was our 4th writing program this year, and the only one that worked and didn't make him throw his pencil across the room)

FLL: We tried GWG and it was easy and independent but he retained NOTHING. Loving FLL3.

SOTW: of course :)

Story of the Orchestra: we use this for music. Every week he reads about one instrument or composer, writes down 5 things he learned, and we listen to the CD. We also get's CD's out of the library. Easy Peasy :)

Thing that have worked for us this year:

VPSA: for Omnibus 1 Primary & Secondary, History Transitions, and the self paced history class

Laurel tree Tutorials: Intro to Lit and Intro to Comp

Jacobs Geometry

Singapore Math (Always)

CLE math

Rod and Staff 6

Growing with Grammar 3

Apologia Science: Physical Science and Astronomy

First Form Latin

Prima Latina

HWOT

Not work so much:

Videotext Algebra

Rod & Staff 3

AAS

Teaching Textbooks-we've gone through 2 whole levels and my son and I are both very happy with it.

Writing Skills-nice solid basic writing program. Teaches the basics like how to write a sentence, paragraph, and letter.

Explode the Code continues to be a favorite after 6 yrs...we're on child #2 with this.

Growing with Grammar-this is our 3rd year and it's working for us.

Little House on the Prairie series on CD-we've listened to it twice-we love it!

Jim Weiss CDs-love em all!

These have been working wonderfully for us!

Math Mammoth

Serl's Primary Language Lessons

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding Volume 1 (BFSU)

Wheeler's Elementary Speller

SOTW 2 and Activity Guide

Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists Series - Giotto and Titian

SpellingCity.com

Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers Series - Tchaikowsky and Beethoven

Poetry for Young People Series - Edna St. Vincent Millay and Rudyard Kipling

MindBenders 1B

Happy Scientist videos

Getty Dubay Italic Handwriting C

Science: Topical Studies designed a la Tanglewoodeducation.com - This year Electricity, Rocks and Minerals,Wildflowers, Insects

Taekwondo

Cub Scouts

Tennis

Ballet

Enchanted Learning.com

Starfall.com

Edited by sagira

So far things we love:

1. Math U See

2. Phonics Road

3. Prima Latina

4. Netflix

5. Brainpop

6. Discovery Streaming

7. Membership to MN Zoo.

8. Dance class

9. Some sports

10. Homeschool Meetup every Friday

Those are what my kids love so far.

Others I love, but kids are not loving yet. :001_huh:

We've liked

TOG

Apologia Astronomy (kids loved this one. They've enjoyed spending all year on one subject, and the text is he right level for them, ages 7&5)

Steck- Vaughn Spelling (teaches by sounds and includes reading and using words in context).

Math U See - although it has been a good program for us, and my kids have learned a lot, I think I'm switching to Singapore next year.

And the surprise hit has been Bastien Piano books. I bought these a couple of years ago intending to teach DD, then 5. But life happened, and the lessons got shelved. She picked up the books herself this year and began working through them on her own. Seeing her interest, I've added piano practice to our school schedule, and I take time to teach new concepts to her as she works through the books.

WWE, FFL level 1. I don't use workbooks with either and we picked our own lit for use with WWE. We also tend to pick our own poetry. So I guess I'm happy with the way they were adaptable.

McGuffey Pictorial Primer--I credit this as much as phonics for helping the boys get more comfortable with reading. The idea of spelling the word before reading it has been a blessing to teaching my SN ds7 that reading isn't going to kill him.

Saxon 1--not as adaptable as I'd like, but they love everything but the worksheets. And even that is getting better. I'm not fully happy with it, but enough that I will probably stick with Saxon for next year.

SOTW-Okay, but I might well use this as the spine only, because I really, really need more illustrations to hold the boys attention. We totally skipped the Egypt section because I found a great book by Cohen with great pictures, sections on major rulers, at about a third grade level for comprehension. I've got SOTW 1-4, so I will be using them, but it may be more to pick up books for the lesson than for the lesson itself.

I liked almost everything we used this year, but a few really stand out:

Favorites for dd6:

Singapore Math

AAS

WWE (she's not a big fan, but her summarizing and dictation skills have improved a LOT this year)

Story of the World

Favorites for dd4:

Leapfrog videos

Starfall.com and the iphone app

Hooked on Phonics (My oldest learned to read very early and with less effort than I expected using this program. I wasn't sure if it was just her or if it was the program itself that gave her success. Now that I am having great results using it with dd4, who has language delays, I am feeling even more confident that this program just really works! Love it.)

:001_smile:

This year, we've been particularly happy with:

Add yours!

12th Grader: History of the Ancient World, How to Read Literature Like a Professor, Once and Future King, Brief History of Time, Universe in a Nutshell

5th Grader: Singapore Math 5, Intensive Practice 5, various literature books from AO 3-5, regular dictation and written narration. library book science supplementing (and eventually replacing) BJU 5. Daily multiplication facts practice finally made a difference, too.

3rd Grader: Charlotte's Web, A Single Shard, Singapore Math 3. Cursive copywork on a regular basis.

The things we have loved the most for this year:

IEW Poetry Memorization (our favorite new find for this year)

IEW TWSS & SWI (just started these early this spring but definately a hit)

Sonlight Core 3+4 - we have loved every single book

The History of US books for my oldest

Drive Thru History

gymnastics at The Little Gym (o.k., not really a curriculum item but a very important part of our "schooling")

• 2 months later...

We have loved...

Horizons Math - colorful, spiral review, and thorough :001_smile:

Veritas Press History & Bible Cards and Curriculum - loved all the historical fiction they recommend too! :D

Jacobs Algebra & Geometry - dd loved the humor in each lesson. I loved that the geometry reviewed algebra at the end of each chapter. ;)

We are at a crossroads for this next year, especially with my 9th grader. We are trying to decide among MFW, Cornerstone Curriculum World Views of WC, and Veritas Omnibus. Any thoughts? :confused: