Curricula you've been happy with this year...let's start a list

Halcyon

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horizons Math

SOTW 1

Everything else has pretty much stunk. We had a rough 1st year trying to find what worked.

I've been around here since we started but hadn't actually read TWTM until a few weeks ago. It rocked my world and I'm kicking myself for not reading it earlier.

I've been really happy with:

MCT

All About Spelling

My own history (Guest Hollow)

Lingua Latina

Intermediate Language Lessons (free version from Google books)

How could I have forgotten science! We did yours, Otter's Science, and really enjoyed it. The kids were not fans of dissecting the brain and heart, but those were two of my favorite things! :D

For fourth:

GSWL. Loved it for his brother, loving it again. And we BOTH love it-even better.

Right Startmath-on level E now. I'm actually also using it to tutor an eighth grader (level C, D, and E) who is really struggling in math. It teaches understanding, which is so critical.

WWE-9 yo finishing level 2 now (really struggles with writing) but definite progress

For eighth:

Foerster's algebra. Finishing up the year playing with Gelfand's algebra now and it too is wonderful.

Singapore O-level chemistry. Excellent, problem-focused approach singapore is known for.

Write Shop.Thanks to SueinStPete for recommending this to me last year. Very good for weak teachers of writing (me) and reluctant learners (ds)

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/fizz-wizard-kit/p/KT-FIZZWIZ/ I got a couple of these little kits and they were well loved. Easy to use with a ps friend who likes science, too.

Delta Nutshell kits

SOTW 4.

Getty Dubay Italics

Oak Meadow

Bob Books

Teaching Textbooks was the big winner. This is our first year. We have always used MUS which we were happy with. But, the kids wanted to try TT. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

Apples & Pears Spelling

Dancing Bears Reading Fast Track (though...we've only just begun and I should withhold my review...but I've seen some drastic improvement by page 30. I could do without the talk about beer.:001_huh:)

McGuffey Readers

FLL 1/2

Miquon Math

A long list of living books we've enjoyed together covering history/literature and science...and the library fines to prove it.:tongue_smilie:

Key To Geometry, Key To Algebra. Second time around with Key To... as a sequel to Miquon, and again wonderfully effective.

Artes Latinae. As above.

Primary Language Lessons. Perfect if you feel like you could teach English well without a curriculum, but need someone to provide writing ideas or prompts. Dd's writing advanced in leaps and bounds this year because I had something to open up and go with every day.

Cathedral Reader #1; Enid Blyton's 'Noddy' books. Both pretty seriously dated, but for some reason the only things that dd3 is willing to read by herself.

Earlier in the year I really liked Write Like Hemingway and Teaching Company's Masterpieces of Short Fiction But then I moved back into familiar territory and started doing Bible unit studies again, because I just felt lost and without a center. Subjects just were not flowing together. Everything felt so piecemeal and unimportant.

Students of the Word and Bedell are my core curricula.

When I do math, I again went back to familiar territory and went back to Saxon and Aufmann Math.

I'm loving Step Up to Writing the past couple months and have been collecting quite a few books about using picture books as mentor texts for writing examples for older students.

For literature The Literary Study Bible and The Bible and It's Influence have been helpful, but what what has been most useful is books about using picture books with older students that teach the literary elements.

I love, love, love streaming Netflix.

I worked really hard on my handwriting. I picked D'Nealian cursive which is sometimes called Modern Cursive. Cursive First and StartWrite have been the most helpful.

I've been messing around with some Waldorf arts and crafts.

Edited by Hunter

I love thinking about this ...

Five in a Row created some of the best memories for us.

Singapore Math 1 made my daughter start to love math.

Miquon Math helped my youngest join our math lessons and enjoy them enormously.

First Language Lessons 1 isn't flashy, but it's gentle and steady and is doing the trick without much work at all.

AAS has been fun and has helped my daughter gain the confidence she wanted to write words on her own.

1. WWE is a favourite. Both boys have done it and love it.

2. AAS -- This has been the perfect spelling programme for my first grader. He is already halfway through Level 3 and is thriving.

3. SOTW with AG -- The boys love the audio CD, maps, review questions, and activities. And recently, they are even enjoying the narrations they do for it.

4. L'art de Lire -- Great French programme!

5. Our own Science -- I've done our own thing (reading, talking, writing, projects, some experiments), and it's worked beautifully. Their science binders are wonderful!

6. MCT Grammar and Sentence Island -- Fun times!

Stuff we've loved this year:

RSO Earth and Space...GREAT experiments and easy to implement

MM...*I* love it...my boys tolerate it

TT...*Boys* love it...I tolerate it

Timez Attack...LOVE!! It has taught my boys their multiplication facts better than I could have!

AAS...ds7 really likes it and is retaining what he has learned. It's fun to read with him and have him point out the phonics rules to me!

HWOT Cursive...boys LOVE it!

MCT...my son loves and excels with conversation style teaching.

Apples & Pears spelling

GEMS

MEP and Math Mammoth (I wish MEP's lessons didn't take so long. It's the only reason we haven't stuck with it.)

SL's 1st and 2nd grade readers. Their progression is logical and appropriate for my child.

Ariel likes Oak Meadow because the lessons are short and they have good stories and art ideas, and she finds it easy.

We were doing Kindergarten.

1. The Happy Phonics/OPGTR combo. Both leave something to be desired alone, however together they are wonderful!

2. Math Expressions. Very hands-on, great use of manipulatives, great set-up for later work in arithmetic & even algebra & geometry.

3. Nature Study. Not a curriculum, I know. But it worked so well for us. We went out and looked for "cool stuff." Very low-key. But it did great things for my son's powers of observation, and he knows a surprising lot about natural stuff for a kid his age.

Let's see, my favorites have been:

Phonics Road 1, moving into PR 2 (This has been wonderful, can't even begin to explain how much I love this program)

ToG Y1, moving into ToG Y2

Nancy Larson Science 1, moving into 2

and continuing in Saxon, moving from 2 to 3 in a few weeks

We've also been really happy with Classical Magic (music appreciation), my 3 year old even LOVES this and knows a lot of the music.

We have had such a wonderful year and very much looking forward to continuing with the above next year (new school year for us starts in July)

-Abeka phonics for my Ker (I know. . .most people here hate Abeka, but it's gotten my two readers reading waaayyy about grade level easily. . .so I love it)

-CLE math (love it love it love it)

-last 2 units of CLE science 2 (they're on birding and using a field guide and ds really enjoyed them)

-Reading lots of living books!

-Abeka phonics for my Ker (I know. . .most people here hate Abeka, but it's gotten my two readers reading waaayyy about grade level easily. . .so I love it)

I don't hate A Beka either! I think for the primary grades it's awesome. My boys learned to read very very well with their phonics program and I love their math program, too, for younger children. As we've gotten older, I find that A Beka has some problems, but for the youngers, it's great.

We have had one of the best years in our 15yrs of homeschooling!

We will be continuing everything next year...

~ Phonics Road 1

~ Robinson curriculum

~ Saxon math (upper levels)

~ Five in a row

~ Cursive first

Edited by tiffanyl
editing to add cursive first

We've had a great year. I like most everything we are using.

Perennial favorites:

Omnibus

Life of Fred

DIVE science

VP lit choices

Analytical Grammar

Classical Writing

New this year - wonderful:

Veritas Press online classes

Veritas Press self-paced course

Heather

- OPGTR

- RightStart A

- Memoria Press K recitation, art appreciation, music appreciation, poetry, and read-alouds

- Heart of Dakota's LHFHG math activities, Thorton Burgess read-alouds, Rhymes in Motion, Memory Verse CD, and art activities

- Beginning Geography by Evan-Moor

- Nora Gayos readers

- Merrill Readers

- Explode the Code

We have had one of the best years in our 15yrs of homeschooling!

We will be continuing everything next year...

~ Phonics Road 1

~ Robinson curriculum

~ Saxon math (upper levels)

~ Five in a row

Tiffany, I find it interesting that your youngest is 7 and you are gonna do FIAR next year. My dd is nearing 6 yo and we have no plans to stop with FIAR anytime soon. Seems the common trend here is to move on after K. I just see so much in there that is so rich that I want to keep using it for dd, and she loves it too.

FLL & WWE...I had resisted these until I came up to needing to make a decision and a friend was getting rid of hers, so I took them. My daughter is doing wonderfully with these programs! (I didn't want to be a WTM "blind follower"...that's why I resisted at first.)

SOTW Activity Guide is probably the most favorite book in my house. I have to hide it so DD won't read ahead and ruin the surprise of what we're going to do next.

Real Science 4 Kids (Pre-Level) has been working very well for us, despite me not really liking it. I'm going to try REAL Science Odyssey next year, just because I think I'm going to like it better.

Usborne Art Treasury. My 4yo can usually now be found at the table, having hauled out all the materials to re-create whatever project we did in the past week. My girls have loved the art projects.

Technically, Saxon Math 1, ZB Handwriting & Spelling Workout are working for us...but no one is very excited about them.

I keep pushing ahead with Saxon because I think it's great, and my DD seems to finally be getting on-board with it. She didn't struggle with it, but she doesn't like to re-visit topics that she deems "learned." Her retention is relatively OK, but it's math...you need to practice it and get. it. down. cold. She doesn't really like that, and I understand it completely because I was the same way when I was younger...but I needed that extra practice, so I'm going to do for her what wasn't done for me! :) "It's for your own good, my sweet girl!"

ZB Handwriting...it's penmanship practice and it gets the job done. DD hates penmanship, so this just works as well as anything else.

Spelling Workout...I may research other options, as I just have a feeling that this isn't the best possible option for us...something seems to be "missing."

Edited by MrsBrooke

Wow, these were so great that I had to start taking notes!

We started some things in August and switched to others after Christmas

Our favorites:

Heart of Dakota-LHFHG- A great way to give a good overview of History before delving into TOG. I also love their Lit. I love that it's open and go.

Rightstart A- Recently started and so far we enjoy it.

Happy Handwriting! A great program that is not heard about often enough. It has tremendously improved my four year olds handwriting allowing her to learn to write letters correctly in a way that would not be too frustrating. It also has some phonics and sign language for each letter.

How to report on Books K: We talk about the exercise on the page and I check as many of the books as I can that are listed from the library each week and my daughter seems to love the selections.

Things both ds and I love:

Delta Nutshell Kits- did a bunch of earth science ones

Lively Latin

Singapore Math, especially the IP and CWP books

HWT Cursive

SOTW

Things I like that he doesn't so much but they are working great for him :)

WWE

Poem memorization on our own

Things that have been fine, but we might switch next year.

FLL

SWO

CLE Math, LA, and Reading have been a huge hit here.

Two of my kids have done CLE Social Studies, Grade 4 World Geography and Grade 6 Latin American Geography and Culture. These are AMAZING courses and they have learned tons. You should hear my dd 11 talk about Bolivia and Peru like she's been there. I wouldn't use their whole SS series, but these courses are keepers.

We are in our first year of K and we didnt use anything that I love (it worked but it wasnt loved). We are changing everything for next year and I hope I can post on here about the things we loved for the year!

Its nice to see what is working for others! :001_smile: