Menu

Poll: The Death of Cursive

Capt_Uhura

Are you teaching your DC cursive?  

1. 1. Are you teaching your DC cursive?

• Yes, I will/am teaching my DC cursive.
    • No, I will/am not teaching my DC cursive.
    • I am undecided about teaching my DC cursive.
    • My DC was taught cursive while in PS.
    • The obligatory other.

I am teaching my DC cursive. When they were babies, I kept journals for them written in cursive. I'd like for them to be able to read them one day. And perhaps it will be additional income - translating documents from cursive to type for all the people who can no longer read cursive. :D

Honestly the arguments in the article aren't very impressive in favor of cursive so I wouldn't be swayed after reading it. But for whatever reason I still feel compelled to teach it. I started off with cursive for DS 1. DS 2 has been resistant to the idea (he is 5 and we are working on print), but I intend to do cursive with him too.

I agree, Wendy. Those arguments weren't terribly impressive. They didn't mention, for example, how cursive eliminates issues with letter reversals for students with dyslexia issues. That was worth it's weight in gold for me, and I wish I'd just started with cursive in the first place.

I think most dc are still taught cursive, but are not made to conitnue to use it after the first year of instruction. They forget how to do it. So I don't think it is a matter of not being taught, but not being made to use after it is learned.

I know how to write and read cursive, but I write using a modified print/cursive script. I write much faster and neater with print.

I don't know many people who write ledgably in cursive. I have a hard time reading many older people's writing because it looks like chicken scratch. I have no problem reading neat cursive.

I think it would be more beneficial to have dc practice reading cursive whether they chooses to continue to write in cursive once learned or if they choose printing.

My DD wanted to learn cursive at age 5, so we started it this year. She had learned to do ZB manuscript in PS K, though. She does copywork in cursive, but any creative writing or workbook pages in print (mostly because her print is a lot smaller than her cursive.) My goal is to be cursive for everything but map labels by 3rd grade.

I didn't realize learning cursive was an issue. I thought kids learned to write in cursive as they would any subject. The article was a little shocking regarding the lack of cursive skills people have. It almost sounds like an epidemic. I wouldn't blame schools (as the article implies) since they are notorious for not meeting the public's standard.

If parents are in touch with their kids academic life they should pick up the slack at home and help their kids out. I personally would never rely on a school to be the beginning and ending of learning. It happens at home in the beginning and should continue that way whether the kids are homeschooled or attend school.

My kids learned cursive while still in PS.

I would have taught them anyway, because writing cursive is much faster than printing. There are still plenty of occasions where handwriting is needed, despite the existence of computers. (In my ten years of teaching college classes, I never had a student take notes on a computer.) I write cursive on an almost daily basis.

I'm teaching it to my kids but we're only doing it at their request. I know many say cursive is much faster than printing, but they haven't met my family. I write in a cursive/print hybrid but print much faster than if I do full out cursive. My oldest son is slower than a snail in a head wind when trying to write in cursive and he's been doing it for 3.5 years. My dd is faster but I believe that has more to do with her being very artsy and to her cursive writing is like drawing a picture or doing a painting.

I am teaching my DC cursive. When they were babies, I kept journals for them written in cursive. I'd like for them to be able to read them one day. And perhaps it will be additional income - translating documents from cursive to type for all the people who can no longer read cursive. :D

:lol: How true is this?!?! I have thought the same thing!

Guest RecumbentHeart

If the homeschooling movement ever has to go underground, it appears that by then cursive could be our mode of encryption for secret communications with one another. For that reason alone, of course my children will all be learning cursive.

:lol:

I will teach it, for sure, but I'm not going to die on the hill of enforcing cursive writing forevermore. My husband swears that cursive is faster, but I printed my way through college, law school, and a Ph.D and when I challenged my husband to a race, we tied. (Clearly we need to get out more.)

Edited by JennyD

I'll definitely be teaching cursive, mainly because I find it is SO much easier than printing, and DH agrees. I cannot stand to print for any length of time; I find it exhausting. If DS disagrees and finds that he prefers writing in print, that's fine, but I do want him to at least know how to write in cursive because he might also find it much easier.

We're using Getty-Dubay, so it's kind of a hybrid cursive, but I do think it still has the advantage of being easier on your hands and wrists than printing.

My son did a year of cursive handwriting practice, but I never made him make the switch in his school work. I polled the men in my family, and not one man in either side of my family writes in cursive, despite being required to in school. It just did not seem worth the effort to me.

I do write all assignments and notes to my son in cursive to make sure he can read it.

I am pretty sure that I will make my daughter write in cursive, partly because she is dyslexic and partly because she is a girl and may wish she had that skill some day. I hate to be sexist, but it seems I am in this particular subject at this particular time for these particular kids.

My dd demanded to learn cursive when she was 5. So she now knows how to write and read cursive, but after that, I could really care less. Her print is neat and what she prefers now. Keyboarding is more important these days so she also learned how to do that.

I just read some articles on handwriting, and think we'll switch to Getty-Dubay Italics. It's fastest to do a print/cursive hybrid and easier to read than the fancy cursive. I realized it's how I handwrite in the rare times I do, so I'm looking into Getty-Dubay Italics now. This is after doing HWT print and cursive from PreK to Grade 4.

I didn't even realize that cursive writing was not being taught in our ps before I pulled the kids until I asked the teacher whether they were learning it or not. They had not by the latter part of 3rd grade, but did do a couple of weeks AFTER I mentioned it to him.

Since they have been home they practice their cursive writing skills several times a week with my older dd doing her final drafts in either cursive or typing. I personally find cursive writing beautiful. When I have tried to get dd to print neatly, it never looks as good as the time and attention she takes to cursive write it. They are proud to be learning it, it has helped them read cursive writing as well. I personally don't want to see it sidelined as a lost art form. I have turned towards classical education for a reason .. that is because I want the kids to know the beauty of learning the English language, how to read it, understand it, and write it. Cursive writing to me is just part of that.

I will teach it, for sure, but I'm not going to die on the hill of enforcing cursive writing forevermore. My husband swears that cursive is faster, but I printed my way through college, law school, and a Ph.D and when I challenged my husband to a race, we tied. (Clearly we need to get out more.)

I'll definitely be teaching cursive, mainly because I find it is SO much easier than printing, and DH agrees. I cannot stand to print for any length of time; I find it exhausting. If DS disagrees and finds that he prefers writing in print, that's fine, but I do want him to at least know how to write in cursive because he might also find it much easier.

We're using Getty-Dubay, so it's kind of a hybrid cursive, but I do think it still has the advantage of being easier on your hands and wrists than printing.

I've just started hearing more good things about Getty-Dubay on here, which is what we'll be using. We just got the teacher's guide, book A, and desk strip.

Exclusively cursive for school purposes. Of course, they know how to print too, but any school writing was cursive from the beginning here, so they actually find it easier to write cursive than print. :lol:

I'm curious about which style you teach?

Bill

They teach cursive in 3rd grade here so my ds learned in school. My dd learned at home. When ds was in 6th grade all school work that was being handed in to me had to be in cursive. This year some are hand written in cursive and some he types.

Do they have to have beautiful and flowing cursive? No. But they need to be able to write legibly and be able to read cursive. There are situations where you need to be able to sign your name in cursive.

To be honest, my cursive is a hybrid of cursive and print that manifested when I was in college.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I taught printing first, then cursive in second or third grade. I use A Reason for Handwriting.

If I had it to do over again, I'd start with cursive. The reasoning behind that theory makes sense to me. But, then, none of my boys had any trouble at all transitioning to cursive.

From fourth grade through high school, I require all handwritten work to be in cursive.

Honestly the arguments in the article aren't very impressive in favor of cursive so I wouldn't be swayed after reading it. But for whatever reason I still feel compelled to teach it. I started off with cursive for DS 1. DS 2 has been resistant to the idea (he is 5 and we are working on print), but I intend to do cursive with him too.

:iagree: First let me say that I am planning to teach cursive first with all dc. However, that particular article isn't very convincing. For one, so many people mention not being able to read cursive, but that can easily be taught (in my opinion) even if a person can't write cursive. My son is learning to read cursive with flashcards and McGuffey reader, but he can barely draw a circle.

I do believe there is something important about mastering the discipline of writing well (penmanship), be it cursive or a fluid script, etc. Just like learning music, art, latin, or a particular sport, I believe there is a benefit to the act of learning and mastering the skill. While some will show a particular gift in one or more of these areas, it can still grow and develop a certain part of EVERY person to some degree.

Example: I write lovely cursive, but can barely draw a stick person. I wish I'd been given basic art/drawing lessons early on--I don't think I'd ever demonstrate the natural talent my sisters do (who've had no lessons), but I think I would have been capable of at least a less embarrassing game of Pictionary.;)

I couldn't imagine any other way to write! My own handwriting is a bit of a sloppy mess, but when I think how long it would take to write out in print.... I'm good with sloppy. DD is taking to it well, as she does everything except math. DS is not, but he has issues with reading/writing in general so my hope is it will eventually click for him. He should at least be able to read cursive!

Regardless of the article, and even though I don't use cursive for anything more than signing my name (and haven't for years), I will teach both girls cursive. Actually, DD8 has basically taught herself (you know you're a HSer when your 8-year-old receives cursive handwriting books for Christmas, and they are the highlight of her holiday :lol:), so now I'll just be polishing and reinforcing.

I do cursive very early. I started with cursive with my oldest. (The younger two, just picked up print before I could get my act together and teach either.;))

For the last 2 months, I've had ds8 write in print for copywork & spelling...his personal journaling is all in cursive. I'm going to ease up and let him go back to cursive for school work too now...I just wanted to be certain he was fluent with print before moving forward. He is. There are a lot of things I'd do differently if I could start over with him, but cursive first has been a very good thing for him.

I plan to teach all my DC to read and write cursive. My oldest DD attended PS in the beginning so we are remediating her cursive, they spend almost no time on it so it's a mess, she still asks how to form letters. Right now we only do PR in cursive for her until the skill matures.

If the homeschooling movement ever has to go underground, it appears that by then cursive could be our mode of encryption for secret communications with one another. For that reason alone, of course my children will all be learning cursive.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Other: I am teaching my daughter cursive this summer at her request. I have not made a decision about my son, and he is not old enough anyway.

I'm unconvinced that cursive is an important academic skill. I disliked cursive as a child and used it only when required. This year, I learned the style of cursive my daughter wants to learn, and it's fine, but I'm still not a convert.

People say cursive is faster than printing, but I did a comparison with my mother-in-law, who has a beautiful cursive hand she uses daily, and she didn't write any faster than I did in manuscript. I had no trouble with essay exams in college.

I compose differently in cursive than in typing, and when I have something really dirt-dog important, I do it with a good pencil on good paper. It is just ... different. And, mother dear mother, I was taught that a well-crafted letter is a thing of great importance, whether it be that rare letter of concern for a loved one or a letter of condolence, or a thank-you note. I kept every letter my mother ever wrote me, and I'd be very sorry if they weren't in her lovely, even hand.

Yes, kiddo will learn cursive, and spend some time every year on it. How else will I get letters from him, which will be such a comfort in my old age? And nothing quite is the same as reading your grandfather's love letters to your grandmother, written circa 1907. A print out of an email is just not the same.

Cursive is a worthless waste of time because it doesn't help at all with standardized test scores. :tongue_smilie:

Seriously - our dysgraphic 8 yo has just begun learning it and is enjoying practicing it. Did I just write that ? He would rather have his hair pulled out one strand at a time than have to write anything - but he's enjoying learning cursive. Whoa !!!!! Cursive rocks !

Seriously - our dysgraphic 8 yo has just begun learning it and is enjoying practicing it. Did I just write that ? He would rather have his hair pulled out one strand at a time than have to write anything - but he's enjoying learning cursive. Whoa !!!!! Cursive rocks !

This is exactly how it is with my 9yo! Much groaning about writing, but cursive she likes. She'll actually voluntarily redo the cursive if her first attempt didn't meet her standards.

All my girls are learning cursive, and I'm trying to re-learn it the proper way. Over the years mine had become an ugly hodge-podge of print and cursive. I've been practicing for a few months and it's getting better.

We plan to do cursive and I'm seriously considering doing cursive first. Trying to figure out a good program since I'm not sure I make all of my letters correctly anyway. I love the look of ZB, and hate the blockiness of HWT. Not sure what would be best for Pre-K and K.

My husband writes almost everything in cursive - from personal notes right down to the hardware list. I print much more, but always used cursive for journaling and letters.

I'm curious about which style you teach?

I actually have no idea if it has a "name"; with small kids, I start with just "plain" school cursive, much like this, making worksheets look something like this or this. Something which allows for legible, big letters, but without too many strokes, which is still practical to use on a daily basis, as opposed to a handwriting style which is "for special purposes"... for that, I taught them some Spencerian. I exposed them to a few other variants too, since we did calligraphy for art when they were younger, so they started modifying their own writing.

With time they developed their own handwriting styles, DD13 usually writes a quite plain, simple cursive joint italic, while DD14 has a more ornamented writing style with a few extra strokes for capital letters and which normally extends over 5 "levels" as opposed to the usual 3 (i.e. "long" lowercase letters, such as P or G or L, are extra long for her, whether up or down, and there is a "middle level" in which simpler letters like A are put). But I started with the most plain, "school"ish one as the basis from which to break later.

I actually have no idea if it has a "name"; with small kids, I start with just "plain" school cursive, much like this, making worksheets look something like this or this. Something which allows for legible, big letters, but without too many strokes, which is still practical to use on a daily basis, as opposed to a handwriting style which is "for special purposes"... for that, I taught them some Spencerian. I exposed them to a few other variants too, since we did calligraphy for art when they were younger, so they started modifying their own writing.

With time they developed their own handwriting styles, DD13 usually writes a quite plain, simple cursive joint italic, while DD14 has a more ornamented writing style with a few extra strokes for capital letters and which normally extends over 5 "levels" as opposed to the usual 3 (i.e. "long" lowercase letters, such as P or G or L, are extra long for her, whether up or down, and there is a "middle level" in which simpler letters like A are put). But I started with the most plain, "school"ish one as the basis from which to break later.

You see the "plain" school cursive is pretty stylish (and even fanciful), especially when compared to typical American school cursives. Especially the capital letters.

I'm torn between good style and efficiency. The loopy American script I'm not sure is either. Some of the Italics (like Getty-Dubay) seem efficient and (while not unpleasant to look at) are not stylish in the way many European school scripts are. But are these latter scripts efficient? I don't know, and I feel "stuck" with time a wasting.

Bill