Menu

What method/philosophy of education do you use?

Eclectic here too. I have three children with three different learning styles so methods are chosen in part according to the child (and in part according to my wishes, style, demands, etc.).

This means we end up combining classical, CM, waldorf, super hands-on/activity based, and more traditional methods.

Edited by crstarlette

The 'please, God, don't let me screw these kids up' method.

Mostly eclectic right now, with an eye towards classical, and moving more classical as DD gets older.

This is me. Mainly eclectic because he gets easily bored and we have to keep switching things up. I don't know if the asperger's has anything to do with it or not.

He loves doing research on computer for personal stuff, but sucks at it with lessons. Go figure. Reading A Thomas Jefferson Education now. I'd love to be totally classical but will have to wait until he's older.

Sometimes I feel like backing the clock up a couple years and starting all over again.

Honestly It varies by subject. I am pretty classical in most area but totally eclectic with math & science.. and even a little unschool-y in some areas. It also depends on the child too. I just now finally got a copy of WTM from our new library so I may be changing a lot. I have a feeling that the WTM methods wont work for each of my kids though dd9 is a very visual learner.

I use the method of "I am the mom/education facilitator for these specific children, and only these specific children." :)

In practicality, it looks like a mix of things. Fairly laid-back -- I figure that, given a reasonable range of experiences and books and attention, barring any real issues, they'll achieve the basic skills when their brains are ready. I don't do formal schoolwork with young children. I don't fret about not covering a particular topic -- we'll get to it at some point, and/or if they know how to read, they can pick up a book sometime, even if that's as an adult.

I do use a fair bunch of CM-ish methods and am particularly big on real books and good literature, as well as multi-age grouping when feasible. I'm drawn to the natural aspects of Waldorf as well. I try to follow my children's interests when applicable, but I also don't think that children always know what they don't know, so I'm okay with some more parental direction at some point. One of mine learned to read very early, with little direction from me, and didn't need much in the way of phonics; the other wanted to read but wasn't quite ready to do it on his own, and he is thriving with a few minutes of reading lessons from me, using 100EZ Lessons. Otoh, the fluent reader needs more direction from me when it actually comes to completing books. It's all about the child I'm teaching/parenting at the moment and how best to meet that child's needs.

I guess CM would probably fit me best, if I had to pick one method.

Mostly CM. With a bit of Beechick, who is also a bit CM, with a neo classical slant, skidding into the 21st century techy Ed....meaning, I am mor in a modern CM mode. I think she would have went absolutely gaga over Google and e-books!.....and I also use a bit of traditional schooling...CLE because my kids thrive on it.

Faithe

I use the method of "I am the mom/education facilitator for these specific children, and only these specific children." :)

In practicality, it looks like a mix of things. Fairly laid-back -- I figure that, given a reasonable range of experiences and books and attention, barring any real issues, they'll achieve the basic skills when their brains are ready. I don't do formal schoolwork with young children. I don't fret about not covering a particular topic -- we'll get to it at some point, and/or if they know how to read, they can pick up a book sometime, even if that's as an adult.

I do use a fair bunch of CM-ish methods and am particularly big on real books and good literature, as well as multi-age grouping when feasible. I'm drawn to the natural aspects of Waldorf as well. I try to follow my children's interests when applicable, but I also don't think that children always know what they don't know, so I'm okay with some more parental direction at some point. One of mine learned to read very early, with little direction from me, and didn't need much in the way of phonics; the other wanted to read but wasn't quite ready to do it on his own, and he is thriving with a few minutes of reading lessons from me, using 100EZ Lessons. Otoh, the fluent reader needs more direction from me when it actually comes to completing books. It's all about the child I'm teaching/parenting at the moment and how best to meet that child's needs.

I guess CM would probably fit me best, if I had to pick one method.

You said this well. I am also about teaching my individual kids....children are born persons.

Faithe

blend of CM and Classical. More CM in the early years with more classical in the later years.

This is funny...because CM was more classical as the kids got older. A CM type early education naturally leads into a more rigorous classical education later. I think CM was cutting edge for her time....and would probably have loved all of our gadgets and gizmos....especially a virtual tour of some exotic places....travel blogs too. Oh, I can just see her clapping her hands in glee and saying " oh, goody!!!".

That is how I want to educate my kids.

Faithe

Lately, I've just been wallowing in "I don't care what you have to do to learn this material just learn it!" teaching despair. Whatever it takes has taken the form of endless writing out of declensions, conjugations, dates, facts, etc. in spiral bound notebooks, using flashcards, and taking notes from textbooks. It may be boring, but all my efforts at fun and exciting with living books have resulted in blank stares upon reviewing the material they have been supposedly learning. While this may not be terribly worrisome at elementary school ages, it is a distinct problem for high school students.

Philosophically, I favor classical education and that philosophy informs my ideas about what is is they have learn. How they learn it is ... whatever it takes.

If you had asked me 18 months ago when we lived in a house, I would have said a mix between LCC and Charlotte Mason. I think the response is still similar, but we through a lot more natural learning in to that now. With travelling, we change the focus to natural learning to take advantage of the science, history, geography and culture around us.