Menu

30 day song challenge - day 4: A song that makes you sad

Good morning everyone. Today's question is What song makes you sad?

Mine is: Let it Be by the Beatles. When I was in high school, my cousin died of AIDS while somewhat estranged from the family. I never knew him well but when I went to his funeral, his request had been to have everyone hold hands, say a prayer and then play this song. That was it. I will never forget that day and what I learned from it but it makes me sad especially that I didn't get to know him better.

Michael Row the Boat Ashore.

A boy, Michael, a couple years behind me in high school was killed in a freak accident by a semi, and this song was played at his funeral because his mother had sung it to him as a lullaby from the time he was born. Every time I think of being in that situation, being a mother singing the lullaby to her child for the last time, I cry. Even when Raffi sings it. Even writing about it makes me cry. :crying:

'Imagine' by John Lennon.

I think this would be my #2. I LOVED the version that was performed by the girl on that show that ran a couple seasons a few years ago where a band was looking for a new singer. What was the name of that?? Anyone know who I'm talking about? :confused:

Anywho, the song that makes me sad and brings me to tears is. . .

Fly by Celine Dion

If you haven't heard it, I think you can find it on YouTube.

Touching, precious and heartwrenching :crying:

Anywho, the song that makes me sad and brings me to tears is. . .

Fly by Celine Dion

If you haven't heard it, I think you can find it on YouTube.

Touching, precious and heartwrenching :crying:

That one, too

This one, more though:

by Mark Schultz. Actually, he has several that make me cry.
, Letters From War.... All of those are very personal songs.

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

OH no kidding. :crying: When we had our last miscarriage, I listened to that song all the time for several weeks. It helped me to cry and get my emotions out rather than keeping them bottled up. Sigh. So sad.

Another one for me is Don't Take the Girl by Tim McGraw. Someone here mentioned it as one of the songs they hate but it was another tear jerker for me when we lost the baby. I really wanted a

baby girl. :(

Right now, hymns I sang with my grandmother made me cry. Someone sang "The Old Rugged Cross" or... I am not sure which one in church but I couldn't sit through it. "Mansion Over the Hilltop" gets me when our local bluegrass group sings it because I think of her being there, and how much she would have enjoyed the music.

I Can Only Imagine because it came out right as my friend's daughter died (5 yrs old Christmas day, Brain Cancer). And I could just see her running into the arms of Jesus.

And Spy Car, I DO remember Honey. And Seasons in the Sun (that one though, was played so much that I really started to HATE it!)

An finally, I Hope You Had The Time of your Life; That was playing on the radio as I pulled into the shelter, to take my dog of 10 yrs, after her second time snapping at the baby. I sat in the car bawling, holding her and singing to her. It was pathetic. :crying:

How about the classic weeper from 1974, "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks?

Bill

After I posted this thread this morning, I got this song in my head. My best friend and I used to play this song (45 record) all the time when we were kids. Sadly, he was killed by a drunk driver when I was 19 so it has very bittersweet memories attached to it for me.

Iris by Live.

It came out right around the time my mother died. My mom had looked forward to being a grandmother SO much, and was just as heartbroken as I throughout my miscarriages and infertility. Three weeks after she died, I found out I was pregnant with my oldest dd. This song makes me cry every time if I let myself listen to it.

After I posted this thread this morning, I got this song in my head. My best friend and I used to play this song (45 record) all the time when we were kids. Sadly, he was killed by a drunk driver when I was 19 so it has very bittersweet memories attached to it for me.

:grouphug:

Bill

Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle and Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman. Both make me cry, though not for any particularly sad reason. Neither affected me at all until my daughter was born.

Yep, and my dh is worse. At a friend of our's wedding, she was dancing to Butterfly Kisses with her dad and my dh went missing. I found him about two blocks away. He walked until he couldn't hear it!

My 14yo dd is dancing a solo dance to Butterfly Kisses and dedicating it to her dad in a show in a couple of weeks. He has no idea - and she certainly has no idea how much this will tear him up.

The song Daddy's Little Girl makes me sad. My daddy sang it to me for as long as I can remember. When he died, my dh found a music box that plays it for me. I can't bring myself to wind it up.

How about the classic weeper from 1974, "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks?

Bill

Well my little stinkers are putting this one in the funny category! :rolleyes:

I need to pull out some photo albums, so they can see that hair-do on uncles and grandpas. :D

Here's another sad one :

John Lennon, Mother

Secret Garden-- Bruce Springsteen

2nd part of the lyrics:

Shell lead you down a path

Therell be tenderness in the air

Shell let you come just far enough

So you know she's really there

Shell look at you and smile

And her eyes will say

Shes got a secret garden

Where everything you want

Where everything you need

Will always stay

A million miles away

It makes me think of the baby we lost at 22 weeks. We have an ultrasound picture of her where she looks like she is smiling and waving. :(