Menu

Skepticism regarding short-term mission trips...

Mostly I'm a nice person. Really. But...

I'm having trouble figuring out how to rearrange my thinking about short-term mission trips, and I'm sure someone here can help.

I've received many requests from friends/family for donations towards their mission trips. The trips are all about 2 weeks long, and they're always non-specific about *why* they are going, and *what they plan to do while they're there*. The not-so-nice part of me is critical about this, and whispers in my ear that $8000 for a two week trip to Africa sounds like a vacation rather than a true ministry to others. :confused: I'm not proud of my thoughts on this. At the same time, I think of what $8000 could do in the hands of a missionary who's already "on the ground" and has made a greater commitment to a cause and/or ministry. In most areas of life, I'm a cheerful giver, and I love to give when I can to real missionaries, with a goal and a purpose. Is there a reason I should look more kindly on the requests from short-term'ers?

I'm a youth worker at my church and the short-term missions trips we do are mainly to get the kids out of their comfort zone and to see how people live in other parts of the world. They go to serve the people they are visiting by talking with them, putting on dramas, feeding them, caring for their general needs and praying with them. The kids usually come back home completely changed. For some, the exposure is enough for them to know that they want to do missionary work, for others, it just makes them realize how much they have and they come home very grateful for it. Our missions trips for the youth are typically between $400-$500.

I do agree that there are other programs/missions/quality programs that are already established that could do a lot with the money that is spent to send people on these missions trips each year.

To me that isn't necessarily the point though. It is about each person's personal journey. We have a lot of friends who have sent their kids on these trips. For some, the missions are often just a seed, planted into the heart of traveler. It is the beginning of a life, with awakened conscious. For others, it ends there and they had a journey, and they just go on with their lives. It is the equivalent of a 'visitor's weekend' at a college. It is about each person's life, willingness to surrender a few weeks of their life, to go help others in need. Two weeks journey, may only net a weeks worth of work, but it often these same people who go again on longer and more meaningful trips later. For some that seed grows into something huge....but without it, ?

I know that many teens take these 2 week trips and honestly, it is probably all that most parents would be comfortable with anyways.

Ds16 is planning a similar trip, so I have thought a lot about it. He is working to pay for it himself. What he doesn't have, I will pay for myself. I consider it part of his college education. Ds is a chemistry major in college right now and that is the path I encourage, but I fully expect him to end up in seminary. (I want him to have a marketable degree and then to choose if he wants to go to seminary--long story, I have my reasons for this) He is just one of those people who have a path that you can see from a young age.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I'm a youth worker at my church and the short-term missions trips we do are mainly to get the kids out of their comfort zone and to see how people live in other parts of the world.

So, the part where I'm thinking that the trip is (at least in part) for the enrichment of the person traveling rather than those to be ministered to isn't completely off base?

I have been involved in the sending of both long and short term missions groups. First, the people sending you requests should give you plenty of specific information about why they are going and what they will do on location. Certainly not all short term missions are of equal value, and it is totally legitimate to know where your investment is going. I would feel free to ask those making the requests all of the questions you need. They will probably be happy to answer, if asked with a tone of interest and encouragement. Your respectful questions may actually help them to clarify their own calling and values and better prepare them to go.

As to the outcome of short term missions, I think the primary benefit is usually the enlarged perspective and clarified calling of those who go. A well organized and spiritually prepared group should return with a bigger heart to pray and serve and a greater sense of gratitude for the things they have been given in this life. Short term missions projects are the best recruiting tool for long tern missions organizations. These groups should also be contributing something to their host locations which fits into a larger plan designed and carried out by long tern staff and people local to the area. That way their service will have more of a long term positive impact on the community there.

HTH- ElaineJ

So, the part where I'm thinking that the trip is (at least in part) for the enrichment of the person traveling rather than those to be ministered to isn't completely off base?

Not necessarily. People on missions, don't come back with changed lives, by connecting with a seat on a plane. They impact people and communities.

It's both. There is definite ministry going on. Our kids go often to an AIDS camp that the church sponsors in the Bahamas. The church has people on the ground that work day in and and day out taking care of the people. The leaders who go on the missions trips with the kids are all seasoned as well. For the kids, it is often their first time. They learn the ropes and jump in serving along side of the people who work in the AIDS camp. It gets them in a completely foreign environment and teaches them about service at the same time that they can see how privileged they are in their lives. It is ministry on both ends, for the people in the camp as well as for the kids who participate. A short term missions trip is often like a dose of Miracle Grow in their walk. :)

I'm having trouble figuring out how to rearrange my thinking about short-term mission trips, and I'm sure someone here can help.

I've received many requests from friends/family for donations towards their mission trips. The trips are all about 2 weeks long, and they're always non-specific about *why* they are going, and *what they plan to do while they're there*. The not-so-nice part of me is critical about this, and whispers in my ear that $8000 for a two week trip to Africa sounds like a vacation rather than a true ministry to others. :confused: I'm not proud of my thoughts on this. At the same time, I think of what $8000 could do in the hands of a missionary who's already "on the ground" and has made a greater commitment to a cause and/or ministry. In most areas of life, I'm a cheerful giver, and I love to give when I can to real missionaries, with a goal and a purpose. Is there a reason I should look more kindly on the requests from short-term'ers?

You may find chapter seven of this book helpful: http://www.amazon.com/When-Helping-Hurts-Alleviating-Yourself/dp/0802457053/ref=sr_1_27?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300097884&sr=1-27

Not all short-term trips are created equal.

One thing I have struggled with especially with the short term trips is that there is so much need in our own communities. You don't have to go to another country or even another state to do mission work. I have sat in churches talking about mission trips overseas while there was major flooding within an hour or 2, or very poor areas where people struggle to survive. I often think we would be much better stewards of our time and money if at least the short term mission trips in general were local community trips.

I am not giving anyone a hard time and I have supported kids mission trips before...it is just something I struggle with.

Guest stationsix

I wrote my masters thesis on "Short-Term Missions for Long-Term Formation" so this subject is pretty near to my heart. Additionally, I serve as the director of a short term mission agency called Simply Missions, and we are extremely concerned with questions like these.

Your (Julie in Ca) question is an excellent one and you should not feel guilty for wondering those things.

In 1990 the Short-Term Evangelical Mission (STEM) began a research project to investigate the long-term effects of their short-term mission trips. The study was specifically focused on changes that took place in the lives of the participants and did not seek to measure the impact those individuals and teams may have had on the communities in which they served.

STEM defines short-term missions as, Ă¢â‚¬Å“The God-designed, repetitive deployment of swift, temporary non-professional missionaries.Ă¢â‚¬ The hypothesis was that their STM programs produced Ă¢â‚¬Å“significant changes in the perceptions and behavior of the participants, changes which are likely to increase the participantsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ contribution to world evangelization.Ă¢â‚¬ The research backed up their hypothesis by revealing Ă¢â‚¬Å“statistically significant resultsĂ¢â‚¬ in the five key areas of length of prayers, focused prayer, financial giving, mission related activities, and mission related education subsequent to participation in short term mission. Those are some neat results!

I really encourage you to check out that report. It is very conscise and offers lots of helpful statistics drawn specifically from an organization with concerns like yours. Below is the info you need to find the report. You can likely find it through inter-library loan.

Roger P. Peterson and Timothy D. Peterson, Is Short-Term Mission Really Worth the Time and Money?: Advancing God's Kingdom Through Short-Term Mission: Results of STEM Short-Term Mission Research (Minneapolis: STEM, 1991)

I'd also be glad to freely send you my thesis which goes into much more detail in answering your questions. It also includes an annotated bibliography of several books specifically related to this topic.

Finally, $8,000 for two weeks in Africa sounds ridiculous to me. I do a full-service trip for two weeks to South Africa for $3,450. I can't imagine that it should cost more than that. If I were you, I'd investigate that a bit before jumping on board (and I am obviously a strong-supporter of these trips).

Hope that helps.

Peace,

joe

$8000 for a two week trip to Africa sounds like a vacation rather than a true ministry to others. :confused: I'm not proud of my thoughts on this. At the same time, I think of what $8000 could do in the hands of a missionary who's already "on the ground" and has made a greater commitment to a cause and/or ministry. In most areas of life, I'm a cheerful giver, and I love to give when I can to real missionaries, with a goal and a purpose. Is there a reason I should look more kindly on the requests from short-term'ers?

I do not look kindly on short term mission request. I know it sounds bad. I haven't read any other posts on this. So I am going out on a limb here...I know that $8000 can do a lot in our own backyards such as the soup kitchen, and any other local ministry needing our help. Why can't we volunteer our time in our communities?? Why can't we give money to local centers that help homeless people (I do not give money out to street people holding signs so centers for homeless people are more legit in my opinion than those standing on the streets....I have seen too many sign changes and location changes that I know who is who and where they were last week)

I am more for supporting our local missions in our communities than paying for somebody's short term mission/vacation. You are not alone in this at all. My church has 24 short term mission trips planned this year. I cringed every time they advertise it during church but they do state what they will be doing there. In Mexico they will be building small shacks for the the people in this one neighborhood. I understand this need in Mexico or Africa. These people are expected to come up with the money themselves. They do not ask others for money at all. They do not encourage you to ask others for money to pay for your mission trip. Also none of them costs $8000....The highest amount was $3000. Africa trip through my church is around $3000 for two weeks.

If you want to go to a short term mission trip then you need to be able to pay for it yourself.

Remember this is just my opinion....:D

Holly

Edited by Holly IN

My instinctually reaction is similar to yours, Julie.

I'll be interested in reading the responses.

8000 sounds like a ridiculous amount of money, especially if the actual mission is not clear.

I think short term mission trips can be quite effective, if they are well planned. In a well-planned trip the participant can hit the ground running. So, really the participant should know what he will be doing from the beginning.

My church has several short term mission trips a year that ongoing concerns (they go back to the same places every year to continue work previously started). These trips are very well-planned since the church has a long term familiarity with the projects. The participants know the plans before they leave. If they have specific skills (carpentry, plumbing) they may know exactly what they are doing each day.

Really $8000 sounds like a nice vacation trip in Africa, staying in nice places, relaxing and going on safari.

I can't convince you mostly because I'm not a believer in them. Wait, there have been *medical* mission trips that make sense to me.

I'm not a believer in evangelistic mission trips.

Of late, I am more in support of local, community efforts to assist people in need in your own neighborhood/area. Much less glitzy and dramatic, but still following the model of Jesus.

This is a mixed bag.

Many "mission trips" are glorified vacations.:glare:

Many are legitimate need-meeting trips. The needs range .....medical, building/construction, providing the long-term missionaries with a rest/extra hands for projects that are difficult to do alone/community work that is extremely difficult or dangerous for the long-term missionary (anonymity is sometimes priceless and a person going home in 2 weeks has a freedom that a long-termer does not;))

I think anyone considering going on an overseas mission trip should start in their own community. If they aren't willing to serve others down the street, then I question whether they are going across the sea to serve.

Before financially supporting a trip, I would need some details of the nature of the trip.

No it's not. But don't discount the good that is done. My DD went on a short term trip to Romania. She worked in an orphanage, painting and cleaning. They spent quite a bit of time just playing with the kids. It was a huge blessing to the kids that lived there and also a time of learning, understanding and maturation for DD. The trip was beneficial to both. There were two days for sight seeing so in part, it had an element of vacation. But mostly she worked and did her best to bless the kids she came into contact with. She also went to Mexico and put on a week long vacation Bible school for kids. It was a lot of hard work - not a vacation.

I've been on two short term medical missions trips. We worked our buns off giving medical care to very, very needy people. It was not a vaccation. A lot of good was done. If your not sure where to give, medical missions is a sure thing. There's no doubt your money is being spent wisely. People are truely, physically helped. CMDA (Christian Medical Dental Association) is an outstanding organization that takes Drs, nurses and lay people to provide medical help as well as spiritual. They work with local missionaries already in the area to set up clinics.

I've known people to go on "missions" trips that were more like awareness trips/ vacations over and over again. I too, disagree with these kinds of trips. Hey, once your "aware", give the money to where it can best be used. But other trips have very valid purposes. If you are unsure, ask questions. Youth group trips usually do have a dual purpose, one being education for the youth going. But that's a good thing. All trips should have clear goals and a plan for how the people group being visited will be blessed/ enriched/ helped in some way. You are wise to want to make sure your money is going to good use. But don't discount all short term missions trips because of some that are less then ideal.

Edited by katemary63

The thing that I get stumped on sometimes are the *individuals* who go. Not all...but some...are kids that have never done a dang thing WHERE THEY LIVE, and then they want us to help send them somewhere else?

Of course, I feel the same way about people who go for long term missions. If you don't give your neighbors the time of day or reach out in the community you live in, what about going to a foreign country is going to suddenly make you more caring?

I am painting with a broad brush. Not everyone is like this. That said, the only kids I help send are ones who have been busy *here*.

I've received many requests from friends/family for donations towards their mission trips. The trips are all about 2 weeks long, and they're always non-specific about *why* they are going, and *what they plan to do while they're there*.

I'm a big supporter of missions, long and short term. This lack of information, though, would keep me from giving. Not because I don't trust the missions or missionaries, but because I would feel like the people going don't understand what they're actually doing. Perhaps if I offer to contribute only after I have a clear idea of where they're going, why and what they are going to do, then they will look into it themselves. This would be as good for them as it is for the donors. They need to learn how to speak about what they're doing and why they need the money.

The not-so-nice part of me is critical about this, and whispers in my ear that $8000 for a two week trip to Africa sounds like a vacation rather than a true ministry to others. :confused: I'm not proud of my thoughts on this.

I can't blame you. That's a lot of dough for one person. What are they doing, where are they staying, is all of this money going to getting there and home again, or does it cover the work they're going to be doing? When my Aunt and Uncle raise funds it's for long-term missions and much of the funds they gather are for the service projects they're doing. If, for instance, part of their mission is building or repairing, some of the money they're raising could go to construction costs.
At the same time, I think of what $8000 could do in the hands of a missionary who's already "on the ground" and has made a greater commitment to a cause and/or ministry. In most areas of life, I'm a cheerful giver, and I love to give when I can to real missionaries, with a goal and a purpose. Is there a reason I should look more kindly on the requests from short-term'ers?

I think you deserve more information than you are getting. I think the people going owe themselves a better understanding of where they're going, why they're going, and what the money is going to. I don't think you're wrong to be concerned about these things. I do think that there could be very good reasons for the amount of money, and I think (again) that you deserve to know those reasons.

I agree with your thoughts, Julie. For the cost of airfare and such for a gaggle of teens, it seems better to me to place a long-term missionary (or several) who will get to know the people served and have specific training. We specifically chose a church that doesn't send groups of teens on missions trips, but instead as a church supports many long-term, well-trained teachers, ministers, etc. in the mission field. We can very comfortably give to the missions fund, knowing it is used to feed, clothe, and teach efficiently.

The only short-term missions work that makes sense to me is for medical or other professional areas. There is a group in our area that sends doctors into remote or devastated areas (they were recently in Haiti.) That is practical, as they have enough skill to make up for the cost of sending them.

I know everyone wants to be able to go themselves, but the most effective thing for most people is to give up some of their comforts at home (or work through their vacations) and support an already established missionary. And, as pp have said, to volunteer locally.

Not all short-term trips are created equal.

I agree with this. Witnesses will often travel to a location where homes need to be rebuilt and comfort is needed for the grieving. You better believe the people served are affected. They are usually extremely grateful.

But IMO if you are leaving your wife with 4 kids under 5 years old and taking 2,000 from her in order to go then you are most likely doing it for the wrong reason. That's all I have to say.

I have been on seven short term mission trips and I have seen things happen on each one that could not have been accomplished by a missionary "on the ground". That said, I would still be cautious about giving money to just anyone. I believe in good stewardship. I just took my WHOLE FAMILY to Africa for two weeks for $10,000, so I would be very wary of one person needing $8,000. The $10,000 included lavish gifts to the missionary we visited, not just our trip.

One man in Mexio had his heart completely changed when he realized my husband had given up his vacation to come serve at the drug rehab he was recovering at. A young Nepalses YWAM worker told me, "I talk to people about why they need Jesus all the time and they just tell me that I am trying to change them. When someone comes from far away for no reason other than to show love, the same people see that God loves them."

I see a lot of value in short term missions, but God has to be behind it.

My in-laws go on short term mission trips every year with their church.

This year they are in rotation with several other churches from their area building homes. Each church goes for two weeks and builds different sections on houses (one church does foundations for two weeks, then leave, another church does plumbing for two weeks, then leaves . . . ect). By the end of the summer, they will have built an entire neighborhood of about 30 homes.

While I would want to know specifically what the intentions of the mission trip is, I would not discount all short-term missions. Not everyone can move away for months or years at a time, but they do still have a heard for ministry and service and these short-term mission trips are just right for them.

I fully support them because they are going out to work and help without a focus on proselytizing, which I do not support.

I would not support an $8000 trip. Way to much overhead and i would consider it a poor use of finances. That said, the right group, with the right purpose, i would gladly fund international travel for a young person. I went on numerous short term trips and am incredible grateful for the experience. There are things I learned about my own selfishness that I never would have realized with out being exposed to extreme poverty and the generous people who live in it. To coin a phrase: Priceless!

One thing I have struggled with especially with the short term trips is that there is so much need in our own communities. You don't have to go to another country or even another state to do mission work. I have sat in churches talking about mission trips overseas while there was major flooding within an hour or 2, or very poor areas where people struggle to survive. I often think we would be much better stewards of our time and money if at least the short term mission trips in general were local community trips.

I am not giving anyone a hard time and I have supported kids mission trips before...it is just something I struggle with.

I completely understand what you are saying, and it is very true. Unfortunately young people are often too caught up in themselves to even see this need. A mission trip completely out of their comfort zone teaches them to look outside of themselves. They no longer have a safety net and have to depend on God for strength and protection. Working hard (often for the first time in their lives) gives them confidence in their abilities to actually make a difference. When I came home from such a trip I began to search out ways to become involved locally. This is not the case with every young person that goes, but it is the case with many. And, of course, as others have mentioned, not all mission trips are equal.

So, yes, to the OP, in many ways you are investing more in the individual than the people they will be ministering to. Consequently, you have to decide if you want to prayerfully invest in that person...supporting them financially while praying for a seed to be planted in their heart that will grow to benefit many. I think you should only support people you feel comfortable doing so with this knowledge in mind.

Edited by Dawn E

I was a former skeptic too. :001_smile: In fact, when my oldest decided to go on a summer-long mission trip to Cameroon*, I was wary about sending out a support letter. I spoke to some very devout family about my concerns and they gave me a different perspective. They *like* supporting kids because they cannot go themselves and they know that in many cases, the child will come back a changed person. With a heart for missions, for other people and cultures and for giving themselves.

At that same time, I had been reading the autobiographies of George Mueller and Hudon Taylor. Neither sent out requests for money. Both made their requests known to God through prayer and it was amazing how God provided for them! In fact, George Mueller's testimony of provision for several orphanages in England without ever once asking for money from anyone is simply amazing.

Anyway, we decided that my son would send out a letter asking for prayer support -- actually the first step that was needed in commiting to the trip. He did not ask for or state the need for any financial support. But we prayed. My son wants to be a missionary. It was so good for him to see that when God calls, God provides. And he did provide. My son could have taken money from his personal savings for college, but at the last minute God provided $75 more than he needed for the trip! The extra went toward the entire team's funding and we figured someone else must have been short.

I was wary about the need for the team to go to Cameroon. Like you, I wondered whether they should just send the money. But when I asked two Cameroonian pastors about this, they said they needed people who could come do the work.

My dd had a similar experience. She just went to Haiti on a medical mission trip and, though she was willing to take the money from her personal college savings, God provided everything without sending one support letter or asking for any money. It's amazing to see God use people to put $40 or $100 into hands, willingly and eagerly, excited about what God will do.

Just wanted to give this perspective. I don't think there is any harm in questioning whether God wants you to support that particular trip or that particular person. We also get lots of support requests. Some we give to, some we don't. We have some criteria that we use.

I wanted you to know that I used to feel guilty about my skepticism as well! And I've heard some comments from others who gave but were unhappy about financial choices the donees made. But I do think there are worthwhile short-term mission trips, doing valid and needed work, by sincere young people who will likely be changed the their experience. Many countries are experiencing a spirtual harvest unlike anything we've seen in the U.S. There are critical building and medical needs as well.

HTH,

Lisa

*His trip to Cameroon for 8 weeks cost about $5600, IIRC. This didn't include his supplies, passport and visa, or immunizations. Eight thousand for a two-week trip sounds costly.

Edited by FloridaLisa

I would not support an $8000 trip. Way to much overhead and i would consider it a poor use of finances. That said, the right group, with the right purpose, i would gladly fund international travel for a young person. I went on numerous short term trips and am incredible grateful for the experience. There are things I learned about my own selfishness that I never would have realized with out being exposed to extreme poverty and the generous people who live in it. To coin a phrase: Priceless!

Simka, no one (at this point) knows what the money is going for though. It could be funding what they're doing as well as getting them there and back again.

Julie,

I, too, have received many requests from kids intending to go on short-term missions projects.

I used to be opposed to sending in money for these as I felt this was an inefficient use of money. Let's say the short-term mission trip was to built a new house for someone in Mexico. Well, the amount of money the mission trip cost could instead be donated and a native worked paid who could accomplish much more with that money.

Now, I see it a little differently. Ifeel that when we donate toward a student's short-term missions trip, we are mostly investing in that particular child. In other words, this trip will likely open his eyes to missions. It could cause him to donate more to missions throughout his life. Hopefully, seeing others less fortunate will help change his perspective when he gets home. Really, transporting American kids overseas to perform manual labor is an inefficient use of resources. That is why I object to the fund-raising letters that act as if the main focus of the trip is that country that will benefit from the efforts of the fourteen or fifteen year old. While the overseas country will have some benefit, I think the greater benefit is in the life of the child. I think the fund-raising letter should acknowledge this.

As an aside, I think some of the costs of the mission trip include an amount that is donated directly to the agency that they are going to help. That does make the cost of the trip higher.

I used to be opposed to sending in money for these as I felt this was an inefficient use of money. Let's say the short-term mission trip was to built a new house for someone in Mexico. Well, the amount of money the mission trip cost could instead be donated and a native worked paid who could accomplish much more with that money.

I think this depends on the circumstances. In the case of entire neighborhoods being destroyed, outside help is needed with the building.

My brother just left to be a long term missionary in Africa and we checked into plane tickets and they are around $2000 ONE WAY! So depending on what they are doing, $8,000 might be needed.

I have gone on short term missions trips. They changed my life in a way a trip to the inner city of Chicago didn't. It wasn't a "vacation" to be in Meixco living in a place with no running water or electricity and having to go to the bathroom in a hole in the gorund. We walked the streets, in the heat, trying to round up people to a little "tent church" we set up to have a service in. We did skits and puppet shows in the streets. We hugged dirty, hungry, children. They were SO happy to have us there. We brought many people to God.

Saying that people need to minister in their own communities is true. We also did that. But there is NOTHING wrong with going out of your own little world for a few weeks and seeing how it is in other places. I have seen these trips change a persons heart. Witnessing in Mexico was 100% different than witnessing in Chicago. People all around the world need help. I really do not understand the comments about just doing good in your own neighborhood and not "wasting" this money going somewhere else. God wants us to go out into the world and teach the people. Someone needs to go out to places that dont have anyone.

If you are so skeptical of these trips...ask for an itinerary, ask questions about what they will be doing, ask WHY they chose the place they did.

We went to Mexico to help a missionary from our church start his church.

I wanted to add: Really you are investing your money in the child that is going. These trips are what forms missionaries.

Edited by kwickimom

I'm wondering if part of it is airfair. I'm not sure how all of you went to Africa for less. When we went to Ethiopia the airfare alone was like 3,000 dollars a person and then we had to pay anothe 3 thousand or so for the expenses for the 2 weeks. It was through Buckner and we had specific goals. We worked in some orphanages, we did a Bible school in a little village and my husband did a medical clinic for a couple of days ( We would open the door at 7:30 and shut it at 8am as we it took us until 5 to treat all of those people that came in... unbelievable. ) We took surveys of the people in the area to find out their true needs. They were building a school then that is now open and they serve tons of children there. They get a hot meal and an actual shower there. We send people there every summer to work. We also support people ( doctors) on the ground there so they have a little bit of medical care year round. Anyway, our airfare was REALLY expensive.. But we went several years ago when the gas prices were a little higher than they are now. So maybe it is the gas. Plus, since the food wasn't safe to eat, the money also paid for all the food, someone to cook it for us, bottled water ( I was so sick of it by the end.) Buses that took us to the villages we worked with..

Christine

I have trouble with short term trips that do not have specific goals. I have troubel with "jr and sr. high retreats" that cost $100's of dollars where skiing is the main event, too.

But, trips with specific goals or ministry i can get behind. Like others have said already, I think it's more for the kids going, but I also think it can change live wherever they are going.

My oldest did a couple of short term trips. The first with Brio to Ecuador (and cost $2400 6 yrs ago). They did street evangelism, utilizing drama and went to parks where they performed. They had great teaching all week, along with Christian music. It wasn't a "hard core" trip from a mission stand-point, but it changed her life.

She went on another trip 9 mths later to E. Europe that cost $1000 for a month (the program was funded by grants), focusing on leadership skills and ministering in churches, the kids stayed with host families. This trip has defined and shaped who she is fundamentally (she is now a Jr getting a degree in Cross Cultural missions), her 2 roomies are from Nagaland, she is very involved in missions in her city, with long term plans to go overseas full time. She went back to Romania 3 more times (once for 9mths to work in an orpanage), and twice more (2-4 wks) to support missionaries working with gypsies.

All of that being said, we rarely give money to kids asking for it for a mission trip, and we didn't give much to our own dd. We live on a gestapo budget and tithe diligently. Secondly, many of the kids I know asking for money aren't working p.t. or holding fundraisers. I see that as a real deal problem.

As a long-term missionary, it was a huge blessing to have short termers!

They brought much-needed supplies, usually, but they also brought enthusiasm and encouragement.

When we were tired and discouraged, it was fabulous to see those vans drive up with energetic teens pouring out, ready to work, pray, and learn.:001_smile:

So while the teens grow, the missionaries are blessed, also.

I'm a youth worker at my church and the short-term missions trips we do are mainly to get the kids out of their comfort zone and to see how people live in other parts of the world. They go to serve the people they are visiting by talking with them, putting on dramas, feeding them, caring for their general needs and praying with them. The kids usually come back home completely changed. For some, the exposure is enough for them to know that they want to do missionary work, for others, it just makes them realize how much they have and they come home very grateful for it. Our missions trips for the youth are typically between $400-$500.

This has been my experience too. My family used to go on a mission trip every summer. We stayed in a cabin or campsite and traveled each day to the recreation center of a vacation resort in a tourist area. We did Backyard Bible Club activities all day with the children of people who were vacationing there. Some of the kids came just because they were tired of going to the pool or the gameroom every day, but everyone had a good time, including our group. We did Bible lessons, crafts, puppet shows, sing-alongs, and more, and some the kids really connected with members of the mission team, and mission team members and kids alike cried on our last day.

As a teen, ER went on a couple of other mission trips to large US cities where he participated in a youth choir and orchestra. They put on free concerts in urban areas and also helped with church VBS, assisting with music, crafts, Bible lessons, and more. ER has decided that this type of ministry is what he wants to do with his life. This summer, he plans to go to Romania with a group who will be doing much the same thing as the groups he went with here.

EK plans to go on a mission trip to Appalachia this summer. She will be going with the same organization ER went with when he was a teen. I am excited for her because I know it will be a lifechanging experience for her.

I have not read beyond the first page, but I want to share from the perspective of a missionary already on the field. I was a missionary in Japan for 2 years. I had planned to be there much longer, but God had other plans. Anyway, while in Nagoya, I joined another missionary couple and their associate in running several summer Bible camps and English camps. Both summers a group of high school and college students from the US joined us in this work. Those students were the counselors, activity leaders, and worship leaders. With their help, we were able to serve hundreds of children and their families each summer. Without their help, we would have been limited to working with a much smaller number of children, and we would not have been able to offer as many activities during each camp.

The couple I worked with did feel very strongly about making sure the students had the chance to do some sightseeing and experience some of regular life in Japan. We took the students out to eat traditional Japanese meals. We took them into the city via public transportation to do some sight-seeing and shopping. We also took them to the grocery store and the home center and other shops to buy food and supplies for the camps. In some of our free time, I took some of the students to see some local sites, such as the neighborhood temple and the library. The students did not hesitate to begin playing with some kids in the park next to the library.

I think this kind of short-term mission is a good one because the students who came were engaged in meaningful activities with both immediate and far-reaching effects. Both summers saw several young Japanese children come into a relationship with Christ. A few of those children heard the gospel for the first time in that particular camp, while others had been attending these camps for a few years. The long-term missionary couple was very good about continued follow-up with these children, by the way.

The students also benefited from their time on the mission field. Of the ones I worked with, one returned to Japan as a career missionary after graduating from college. Another returned to Japan for a year or two after he graduated from college. He completed seminary not too long ago and is open to returning to Japan as a pastor. Another did some other short-term mission work in Thailand and is preparing to return to Thailand for at least a year. I am not sure about the rest of the students, but I am certain that they all grew through their time in Japan.

As a couple other posters mentioned, not all short-term mission experiences are the same. Some probably are little more than a vacation, while others involve meaningful work, such as Bible camp ministry or building churches and schools. Any good experience will benefit the short-term missionaries and the people they are serving. Such an experience is even better if it directly supports the ongoing work of established long-term missionaries.

I don't think one has to exclude the other, though. Our church has a food pantry that serves over 300 families and does a lot of other service projects in our community. Service is a huge emphasis in our youth group. Away from home, we are in the process of planting a church in another state. And we send out 6-8 short term mission teams every year, some stateside and some international. None of the mission trips are vacations, although they do try to include one day to have a fun activity or sight-seeing venture. One day. Other days are long and involve hard work doing things such as repairing homes, visiting people in nursing homes, holding a kids carnival in a local park, etc. My teens have gone on a mission trip to the poorest town in America, and my oldest daughter came home a changed person. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Wow. My dh and I are facing this exact same issue! Two friends want their teenage dds to go to Nepal for a whopping cost of $4000+ each! After much prayer and discussion this is what we came up with:

1. We support adult missionaries who are established in the mission field. Teenage experiences with missions are great but we're not about to support thousands and thousands of dollars for a few weeks for an adolescent.

2. We support missions that focus on and build life skills and support. The short-term missions these girls are going on involve a bunch of puppet shows, dressing up like clowns, doing kid's church on the street, etc. That's sweet but when there are parents with sick kids who need medicine or who cannot feed their families, puppet shows seem a bit...wrong. We will give $ to build a house, buy goats/chickens, provide items for babies, etc.

If I thought there was a deeper purpose in these girls going I might consider helping them but as it is we have decided not to. There are many struggling missionaries who are "in the trenches" whom we feel need/deserve our $ more.

To raise her money, she offered her babysitting services, pie baking skills, cleaning services, etc. in exchange for money for her trip.
This would have a huge impact on our decision to support/not support short-term missions. What we have seen is a lack of any effort to raise one's own money. The girls I mentioned are asking 45 people to donate $100 each. No mention of what the girls are doing to raise $, just a "faith prayer" that God will provide all the $ they need. Edited by LuvnMySvn

I'm reading this with interest. I wanted to ask this: would you support someone (child & parent) who has an income that could easily pay for both to go? Or is it edifying for them to solicit funds?

I wouldn't, nor would I ask anybody to support mine or my child's mission trip. My dd took an overseas trip a couple of years ago, and we only asked her grandparents to contribute to the trip; I thought it would have been very presumptive to send out requests to other family members or friends. (oh, we also sent a couple of letters to my mom's brother & sister - dd's great aunt & uncle - b/c my mom INSISTED that we do so; I suspect she has been hit up by THEIR grandchildren). Anyway, dd also participated in the church fundraisers in which the money was split up among the participants, but dh and I ended up paying for the bulk of the trip.

I recently got a request for a fundraiser for a student whose parents are truly wealthy. :blink: (I didn't reply)

Is there a reason I should look more kindly on the requests from short-term'ers?

I worked with YWAM (Youth With A Mission for about 6 1/2 years back in the late 80s/early 90s. I started out by doing a short term mission (two months, though, not just two weeks) the summer after I graduated from high school. I had never heard of short term missions before, and had never heard of fundraising for such, and I paid for my own trip. I wouldn't have dreamt of doing anything other than that. After that trip, I decided I wanted to go full-time with YWAM, so I worked for over a year (while paying rent at home, as well as paying for a car and its associated costs) to save up enough money to do the initial training before joining staff. Only after I'd gone through all this, did I do the support-raising thing from other people for my living expenses as staff (all staff have to raise their own support). And people I approached seemed willing to support me monthly because I'd already worked so hard to put myself through the initial trip and then the 1.5 years of work and then year of training.

I've very wary of donating to short-term missions, because my perception is that many short-termers feel entitled to receiving donations. That entitlement mentality bothers me, so we don't support that. We will support a short termer if we know the person and have observed that he/she works hard for what he/she wants to do, and if we see that he/she is also trading goods/services for money for the trip.

But I do think short-term missions itself is a good thing in many cases. I just wish that more short-termers would step up to the responsibility of paying for it themselves. (or parents pay for it, if they think it's something good for the young adult to do)

would you support someone (child & parent) who has an income that could easily pay for both to go?

No. Absolutely no way. Why would anyone do this?

Our church has a policy of only supporting long term missionaries. The only time we do short trips is to build homes for the poor, to do all the work for a VBS (in those cases the participants paid their own way by doing actual work for others), or when a senior pastor goes for a short time to teach native pastors doctrine or other seminary type classes so the native pastors can minister to the native peoples long term. This is only done in counties where seminaries are not accessible to most pastors.

It is very important to be incredibly careful and discerning with the resources God gives us.

My husband grew up in a church where the kids who went to church school (and it seemed they all did) went on a mission trip their senior year. His kids did it, too. The first time I met his eldest is when we popped up to the airport on layover. The kids (say 50 of them) were milling about looking like kids just back from camp. They go a "build a church" of concrete blocks or mud bricks or whatever. I think they went to New Guinea. I asked her "how it went" and she glumly replied "The Catholics got there first".

I'm not saying every youth mission is like this, but I was underwhelmed by this one.

I was also less than excited (and kept my wallet shut) for a SIL calling to say a niece and her husband "needed" the money to go on a mission trip to "save their marriage".

Posted by Beachmom: I wanted to ask this: would you support someone (child & parent) who has an income that could easily pay for both to go?

I would have to consider the purpose of the fundraising to answer this. Are the parents telling the child "you need to but forth the effort to raise your own money for the trip". If fundraising and putting themselves out there is part of this, and this is the case, I would be more likely to contribute, but I would offer to hire the them and make them work for it, not a hand out.

If they are 'stingy-wealthy' (we know a few) and just don't want to foot the bill themselves....then, no, I wouldn't contribute.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Unless they are selling products or completing chores for a donation I find the whole concept repugnant. If you feel driven to go on a mission, do it, but then you should find a way to fund your mission - from your own sweat/effort. I dislike "gimmies."

I believe strongly in short-term mission trips that are going to faciliate the ministry of Christian communities/missonaries *already in place in the country long-term*.

There are certain types of projects/events that a missionary in that country can't accomplish on their own, and that a visiting group can support them in (ex. running camps for kids at a school, etc...). There are also trips whose purpose is the encouragement and refreshment of the missionaries serving and I believe those are also important.

I disagree with the 'help in your own backyard first' mentality because Christianity is supposed to be global, and one way to emphasize that value is to partner with Christian communities all over the world - including traveling to them, worshipping with them, and serving together with them (not with a 'here come the Americans to save the day' but 'we're brothers/sisters in Christ - how can we learn from you and support you?') That type of humility and cross-cultural experience is invaluable IMO.

That said...I have been on excellent short-term trips and mediocre short-term trips (ironically, the worst ones were to the US and the best were out of the country). I strongly support intergenerational mission trips where you have youth and adults serving together, not just a 'youth group mission trip' which are the type i have seen be less than...helpful...to the missionaries and communities where they were attempting to serve.

... All of that being said, we rarely give money to kids asking for it for a mission trip, and we didn't give much to our own dd. We live on a gestapo budget and tithe diligently. Secondly, many of the kids I know asking for money aren't working p.t. or holding fundraisers. I see that as a real deal problem.

DH & I agree that we would be much more likely to respond with financial assistance if the teen making a request would include a paragraph to the effect of:

"My school schedule permits me to {babysit, work at McD's, cut grass} xx hours a week, and I plan to raise {40, 50, 60%} of the cost of my travel through work. Your financial gift is greatly appreciated, but I would be just as willing to earn the money by performing some chores for you. Please call me if you have any ideas..."

Dd worked for a significant portion of her short term mission trip. I also insisted that she had prepared things to take with her and gave power point presentations when she returned. It was a lot of work on her part for her to go. Yes it was a wonderful, growing, experience and it was also fun. I have also received way too many form letters asking for money. The farther away you go does not make for the better experience!