Menu

How many of YOU (parents) know how to diagram??!!

krwsmum

SO I am back and forth, (as most of us are, right ;)) and I am taking another look at WWE/FLL. Going through the samples of the WWE text have me TOTALLY confused and feeling COMPLETELY unqualified to teach this!!!! I NEVER did anything like this in school-and all the "big words" of grammar are confusing me. I know what nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives are, but outside of that...I guess I am realizing this stuff is all great, but WAY over my head. How in the world am I going to teach diagramming when I can't even understand it??!! And is it really necessary? I love the classical philosophy-but whoa. I feel really dumb :001_huh:

Trying to figure all this out~

I do know how, but here's why: After college (pre-kids) I taught 6th, 7th, and 8th grade English at a Christian school that also used a Beka for grammar (thankfully not for anything else). Because of this, yes, I can diagram quite intricate sentences, but I learned right along with my 8th grades that first year...and I think that is how most homeschool moms can do it.

I don't know what ages your kids are, but if you are starting at level 1 of FLL and WWE, it really isn't hard at all (at least, in my experience). You will learn right along with the child, and you don't really need to know much going in since it is all scripted. I am impressed that my 2nd grader can tell me what part of speech each word in a sentence is, and we haven't had to undergo any torture to get to this point! I am an English major and I actually really enjoyed sentence diagramming as a student, but I think that is probably a bit odd. =)

My biggest concern in starting FLL/WWE was the time commitment on my part, but it really has not been too intense and I plan to continue it as my other boys move up into their grammar stage years.

Diagramming? I have NO idea how to do this but anticipate learning alongside my kiddos using Rod & Staff. I'm looking forward to it as my analytical/organized/Type A brain thrives on sorting & organizing information. :lol: I only have to be one day ahead (or so I've heard). :lol:

Guest Dulcimeramy
Diagramming? I have NO idea how to do this but anticipate learning alongside my kiddos using Rod & Staff. I'm looking forward to it as my analytical/organized/Type A brain thrives on sorting & organizing information. :lol: I only have to be one day ahead (or so I've heard). :lol:

R&S does a great job of training the teacher.

I learned diagramming in school, but the method I learned was similar to that found in Harvey's Grammar.

My oldest son loved Harvey's but it made my second son cry. LOL So I had to learn to do it the R&S way instead, and I found the teacher's guides to be very easy to understand.

I have no idea how to diagram a sentence. I was never taught in school and the very basic grammar I do know came from foreign language classes. I was taught via whole language and it actually worked really well for me, I am a natural speller and intuitively pick up and remember most grammatical rules by use, not by knowing and understanding the rules.

My daughter needs phonics and does not appear to have an intuitive absorption of language the way I do, though she is much more of a natural in other areas. My son will probably be more intuitive and not need as much phonics and grammar to use the English language properly though I still plan on instructing him because having base knowledge to fall back on is always helpful.

I did it in elementary, middle and high school. However, what I do NOT think I got was a good explanation of grammar terms. SWB made is so much clearer. My son adores diagramming, weirdo that he is, and finds it amusing.

I found it to be very easy to teach with FLL. It starts with subject verb sentences. No muss, no fuss. Every single step is spelled out for you, with a complete script.

If you don't know how to diagram when you start, you will when you finish :lol:

I learned basic diagramming in school. It was fine. It taught me a little about grammar. However, I don't feel like it's the be all end all of learning the structure of language. It's a useful tool for learning. There are other tools too.

I was a diagramming genius! I loved diagramming sentences when I was a kid - it was like drawing to me.

My daughter did a little bit in high school, but my son has never learned to diagram. Science and math are more important here - I mean if he had a genuine interest in language then I'd go for it - but honestly the battle over writing is enough - making him diagram would kill both of us.

But I did truly love it.

I do know how, but here's why: After college (pre-kids) I taught 6th, 7th, and 8th grade English at a Christian school that also used a Beka for grammar (thankfully not for anything else). Because of this, yes, I can diagram quite intricate sentences, but I learned right along with my 8th grades that first year...and I think that is how most homeschool moms can do it.

I do too!

I taught 5th grade A Beka Grammar at a Christian school :)

o, and I did masters grammar courses prepping for a masters in TESOL

I didn't know any English grammar to speak of when I started homeschooling. I couldn't have even told you what a prepositional phrase was. After using Rod and Staff English for many years, I have, by osmosis (or so it seems) picked up a lot of English grammar. I can do basic diagramming, and I understand the concept. Again, I had NO CLUE about this stuff when I started homeschooling and I made no real effort to learn it...I just picked it up along the way. Same thing with phonics.

As far as the usefulness of knowing how to diagram sentences goes, my 16yog who is a sophomore in public school has found it to be very useful.

Susan in TX

I was a diagramming genius! I loved diagramming sentences when I was a kid - it was like drawing to me.

My daughter did a little bit in high school, but my son has never learned to diagram. Science and math are more important here - I mean if he had a genuine interest in language then I'd go for it - but honestly the battle over writing is enough - making him diagram would kill both of us.

But I did truly love it.

I did, too.

I went to Catholic school, and we did extensive diagramming in 5th-8th grades.

SO I am back and forth, (as most of us are, right ;)) and I am taking another look at WWE/FLL. Going through the samples of the WWE text have me TOTALLY confused and feeling COMPLETELY unqualified to teach this!!!! I NEVER did anything like this in school-and all the "big words" of grammar are confusing me. I know what nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives are, but outside of that...I guess I am realizing this stuff is all great, but WAY over my head. How in the world am I going to teach diagramming when I can't even understand it??!! And is it really necessary? I love the classical philosophy-but whoa. I feel really dumb :001_huh:

Don't stress about it! I knew the basic parts of speech, but had no clue about diagramming when I first started homeschooling 6 years ago. I started using Rod & Staff English level 3 w/ my then 3rd & 4th grade dd's and I now understand diagramming and a whole lot more that I didn't know that I didn't know. It was great! The Teacher's book made it where I was comfortable teaching, and I have learned right along side them. I am now using WWE & FLL with some of my younger dc and even though it takes somewhat of a different approach, the teacher "hand holding" is still there. They are both great programs that are very easy & simple to teach no matter what experience you have or don't have.

I remember my father showing my older siblings how, I never got what the big deal was. I plan to learn how myself and I intend for my future children to learn how.

(I greatly admire the 'old school' skills that are slowly falling by the wayside; cursive, shorthand, diagramming, dictionary, etc)

I do. I had an 11th grade English teacher who was FANATICAL about diagramming. She would give us diagram challenges with the most convoluted sentences and send us to the board to diagram. Whoever got it right first.....got candy. As a result of greeed.....I am a master diagrammer. :lol:

ME!!!! I LOVE diagramming sentences. I am such a nerd! I think the easiest way to learn would be to work through Easy Grammar (that book does not diagram...but it is the easiest way to learn grammar imo.) THEN, I would buy the cheapo Chistian Light Diagramming workbook and work through that. You will be surprised how easy it is to learn, and you too can amaze your friends and relatives!

Faithe

Diagrammed up to 10th grade, don't recall when I started. I had the Grammar Guru for 10th and boy did she drill it into us! Although a bit rusty, I'm a firm believer in diagramming and saw the results last night. I was checking DS's work with JAG. He just started prepositions and needed to identify the words in the sentence then diagram. Well, he couldn't identify half the words, but his diagrams were pefect! I think this is going to be a very good fit for him as he's a visual learner.

Good luck to you! Don't let it scare you and enjoy the process of learning with your kids. I think it would be encouraging to them to know mom was learning too. I look forward to the refresher.

I learned diagramming in school, but did not find it helpful, and have since forgotten how. My husband went to Catholic school, where they diagrammed extensively. He can explain grammar, but he doesn't write very well.

I plan to decide whether diagramming sentences is a good use of time once I find out what kind of writers my children are.

I'm a natural language learner with very little knowledge of the 'rules' of English. I know a noun from an adjective, spell instinctually (it feels like), and read voraciously. But rules...I'm learning those along with my 7-year-old! I definitely don't understand diagramming, which is why we are using R & S English.

As others have said, I am learning it along with my DD8. I was actually GIDDY when I saw the diagramming in WWE3. I never learned how to diagram--my 7th grade (maybe 8th) grade English teacher drew a diagram on the board and told us how people USED to do this, but it was pointless so noone does it anymore.

We just started diagramming, and SWB makes it SO EASY and goes really slowly. And everything is scripted, so you don't have to feel dumb trying to figure out what to say. :001_smile:

I love diagramming! I learned in school but wanted a refresher course when I started homeschooling so I picked up this book to go through. I'm sure you could pick up an inexpensive workbook at a local teacher supply store. You could type in how to diagram a sentence at about.com and get a little overview too. I agree that R&S is very good at teaching diagramming but I've heard mention of many programs that include diagramming. I think Analytical Grammar, Voyages in English, CLE, and GWG include it...there are probably many more.

I did quite a bit of diagramming in middle school, but remember only the rudimentary basics of it. In college I took a linguistics class where we did a different type of diagramming (using trees) which could be applied across different languages to look at how they're structured.

It was in that class that I discovered that many college upperclassmen cannot identify their parts of speech.:glare:

DD will be exposed to diagramming at some point, probably in middle school.

I went to PS. Never even heard of sentence diagramming until I read SWB's book. I learned how to do it while teaching my dd language arts. I think it's brilliant. It really concretes (in my mind) the various parts of speech and helps me understand their usage and helps me keep them all separate. It's wonderful for breaking down a really long and unwieldy sentence. :)

I can. I was one of those weirdos who actually enjoyed diagramming. :D It just makes sense to me, like putting together a puzzle.

:iagree:

I loved diagramming! My 8th grade teacher, in particular, felt very strongly about learning to diagram. I suspect that diagramming was falling out of favor in the '80s, though, because the grammar books she used had to have been at least 20 years old! DH never learned it, but he grew up in a more "progressive" school system.

Anyhow, it's definitely worth learning/teaching to your kiddos. It'll likely make them better writers, and you never know if they'll want to take a language where you decline nouns (change the ending of the noun based on what part of speech it's used for). Latin, German, and Slavic languages do this; having learned to diagram saved my butt when I took Slovak!

--Pamela

I was never taught diagramming in school. I am doing it with the dc though.

I started with a book called: The Complete Book of Diagrams by Mary Daly and then we worked through Rex Barks by Davenport. We worked through those books as additions to grammar. It was actually fun. The girls like diagramming. I do too. I wish I had done that when I was in school.

Now our grammar program has diagramming in it so that's how we're working it into the schedule now.

With a refresher since I haven't done it in 20 years, I can diagram. We diagrammed extensively in high school. Somewhere, I even have an entire notebook from 12th grade that is filled with diagrams. I always liked them. I also liked writing proofs in Geometry. My sister thinks I am nuts.