Menu

FUNNIEST childrens book suggestions for humerous interp speech event???

Also not sure what this is, but my then-2nd grader did a "dramatic reading" of The Paperbag Princess that brought the house down. She wore a paper bag. She also did one to an Uncle Remus story from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Remus-Complete-Phyllis-Fogelman/dp/0803724519/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1297478335&sr=8-5

The Uncle Remus story was one about fishing for suckers. The voices made it great fun.

Terri

I did some of the fairy tale retellings in high school--like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/True-Story-Three-Little-Pigs/dp/0140544518/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1297479312&sr=8-4

or this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Frog-Prince-Continued-Picture-Puffin/dp/014054285X/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is great for that too.

Fractured Fairy Tales make great humorous interps, but if it is for competition, they are common. But if the speaker is a beginner, then I would do it anyway to gain experience and because they tend to be short and easy to cut.

Homer Price has some parts that can be cut into a great interp. It has been done very well in competition, but again, it depends on the goal and that may not matter.

Tacky the Penguin

"Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"

This was my favorite book as a child. It rhymes, has a funny storyline and descriptive language, and has lots of different speakers so you can have fun giving different voices to the animals: elephant, monkeys, bees, bear, hippo, mouse, crocodile, and many more.

Depending on the age of the reader/performer, I think "There's a Cow in the Road" would work well. It's got a lot of great rhymes and rhythm and could be read with lots of energy and fun. :)

Lisa

"There's a cow in the road! / And it sure is a shock / When I first wake up / At seven o'clock/ There's a cow in the road! / She's a big one, too / Browsing on blossoms / Drenched with dew"

SUMMARY

From Kirkus Reviews-

In sprightly verse, a child getting ready for school reports the drama accumulating outside her Vermont farmhouse window: traffic halts, minutes pass, and more animals congregate…By the time the school bus comes at 'seven forty-four,' there are half a dozen noisy, friendly creatures waiting with the kids. The cadence propels the verse like a well-oiled ticking clock, while Pearson's dancing lines and effervescent watercolors embroider the humor at every turn, from a heap of toy animal on the little girl's bed-as numerous as those outdoors-to the cheerful crowd waving goodbye at the end. A joyous, comical pacesetter for a busy morning."