Menu

what does dad teach in your house?

iona

are there any subjects that everyone does together?

i'm hoping for us all to read something together over the main meal. i'm trying to decide if sotw would be good or scripture. eventually i hope dh will teach the boys piano. he is the one who gets the boys outside more...hmm, maybe i should put him in charge of nature study.

ds1 already helps him brew beer in the garage, so we got that going for us as well.

how is it with your family?

My dh teaches life skills, construction, home maintenance, cooking, fire making, yard maintenance, wood carving, car maintenance, volunteering, helping neighbors, animal disection (he loves this), computer building, electrical wiring, having fun, and more. I teach most school subjects, including driving instruction. What I cannot teach or find challenging I outsource.

My dh teaches life skills, construction, home maintenance, cooking, fire making, yard maintenance, wood carving, car maintenance, volunteering, helping neighbors, animal disection (he loves this), computer building, electrical wiring, having fun, and more. I teach most school subjects, including driving instruction. What I cannot teach or find challenging I outsource.

:iagree:

My husband also teaches REAL Science Odyssey and MEP Math. He also does lessons (all of them) on days when I have to work during regular school hours (about 1 day per week).

My husband teaches manners at the table. :D

He takes them to and from swimming and does their swim meets. This I am thankful for.

Three summers ago I had this grand idea that he would do a Latin curr with the two older ones but that never actually happened.

When my daughter was having a hard time with math (for about 6 months) he checked her work every night.

His expertice is Science so I defer to him if one of the kids has a question I do not know how to answer.

He is home every night for dinner and puts the boys to bed each night. He is a great dad but not a "homeschooling dad". He supports me as I home school, but I am given full responsibility and freedom (including budgetary freedom). ;)

It works for us.

Um, nothing. He is our financial backer. :tongue_smilie: He might do a scripture study here and there, but I'm the one who does all the academic instruction. He is fluent in Spanish, however, so that will come in handy as we learn Spanish (I'll still be the instructor for that, though). My oldest wants to learn computer programming and dh is a software developer, so he will be the one to teach that. :)

He'll do ad hoc things, but nothing on a regular basis. He loves to just come home and PLAY with them. :) He reads tehillim/psalms every night to us, and he's really good at making up stories in the car. He takes them to shul/synagogue. He listens to our kids read stories. He teaches them how to fix things around the house, and they LOVE that. Gardening time together too. It's nice after a long day of work, to not have structured time with them.

OTOH, he helps me tremendously. He's an instructional designer for a university by trade (teaches teachers how to teach, no matter the subject), so he's great at helping me come up with learning activities when we need some help, or when DD is having a hard time learning a particular concept.

My dh does half the math lesson for ds8. He also does read alouds regularly. And, he is in charge of piano - sitting in class with them once a week and practicing with them 5 or 6 night a week. Lastly, he is the boys personal karate instructor several nights a week to make sure they are really learning their forms from class.

Oh, and there is that one man dining room make-over that he has been working on for the past 6 months, so construction projects are definitely happening at this house.

Usually he's gone (working & in school, both FT), but every once in a while he & dd5 will get on a science kick & do things together, experiments & discussion & such, entirely on the fly. They've burned nuts to see the energy from the fats, made/painted/set off a volcano, etc. We were late for church last Sunday because they got into a long discussion on road materials :lol:. It was great. He also slips in math sometimes, like teaching her the 0 and 1 multiplication principles before he goes to work in the morning.

I am the husband. My wife is the primary teacher of our first grader.

I plan the Singapore Math lessons and homework, grade the homework, and coach my wife in using the HIG (I have a degree in math education). I sometimes help my daughter on the weekend with the most challenging problems. I also grade all of her language arts work.

I give my daughter her weekly piano lesson on Saturdays.

I read to my daughter every night. Once a week I read Story of the World, which is the one part of our history curriculum that my wife dislikes (I enjoy it, but I think it's a good fit for my hammy approach to reading).

Definitely life skills, with occasional random math, science, or computer information thrown in. Oh, and hockey.

A week ago when the weather was nice, he let the kids help repair a goat shelter roof. Several weeks ago, he had them watch while he changed the oil in a vehicle. He also let them help put a big spice rack on out pantry door.

He doesn't do anything with the official homeschool subjects, but he works hard at his job and provides me with my curriculum budget (i just have to say how much I'll need and he'll budget for that). He leaves all curriculum choices up to me and trusts me to give the kids a good education. :)

my husband teaches Latin (he is a Pastor and knows Latin....I don't...so i get to be one of the students). He also reads to the kids almost every night. He gives spelling words for practice, drills math facts, listens to the kids read to him...otherwise he is supportive and helpful around the house when needed.

He makes the money

He teaches the kids the important skills that I am finding less and less husbands have nowadays.

Changing oil, cutting trees and then splitting and stacking, dump etiquette:), woodworking, where and what all the tools are, how to mix fuel fuel for the different things in the barn, mowing the lawn, running the tractor. My seven year old is more capable of running the man side of the house than I am. He knows more about how dad does things and where things are kept.

Nothing to do with academics ...yet. I'm only on 2nd grade level math. He is the math guy in the house so I'm sure at some point he with be the go to guy.

Usually, I do it all.

However, when there is some sort of hands on project that I think he would be better suited to figuring out or would enjoy doing with my 10 y/o, I ask him to "help" (by which I mean "can YOU do this with her?") and he does.

Some recent examples of things he's done with her:

Candle Making

Paper Making

Setting up a simple worm bin

Figuring out the instructions to make a "covered wagon" out of a shoebox, cardboard, a wire hanger, some dowels and cloth.

And occasionally I will ask him a math question or ask him to participate in a science experiment.

But most of the time I do the teaching, and like someone else said, he does the money earning so I can buy the things I need in order to teach and take the kids on all those fun field trips and sign them up for all those fun extra-curricular activities and so on. :D

ETA: Nothing to do with our "curriculum," but my husband's main hobby is his large saltwater aquarium/coral reef tank and he does have our daughter hang out with him a lot while he's messing around with it and so she has learned all sorts of names and terms and things pertaining to maintenance and stuff. He's also been talking about restarting his old glass-blowing hobby and involving her with that, as well. And once in a while, he lets her come to work with him (he owns a tattoo shop) and she'll sit with the lightbox and do "line drawings" and stuff. Or he'll randomly start telling her about odd facts that might pertain to art or science or trivia or whatever. So he does his thing in his own way, too.

Edited by NanceXToo

He is home every night for dinner and puts the boys to bed each night. He is a great dad but not a "homeschooling dad". He supports me as I home school, but I am given full responsibility and freedom (including budgetary freedom). ;)

It works for us.

Same here. My husband thinks what I'm doing is great and gives me a lot of praise and encouragement. We do a devotion at breakfast and read and discuss a passage from a kids' version of a Bible in a Year (so far we're 18 months in and only halfway through, but we've had some great conversations!) at either lunch or dinner. If he's at home for the meal, we're interchangeable on doing that. He does Cub Scouts stuff with our son and just generally helps where I need it. Right now I'm eight months pregnant, so he's doing a lot of the cooking and all of the grocery shopping (with three kids in tow, thankfully). He also cleans bathrooms. (I always remember that when I get frustrated with some of his other qualities! :D)

He loves showing people (not just the kids) new things -- it's really his passion. He's a real "joy of discovery" person. He's always done bath time at our house, and he makes up goofy games with the kids to do math and phonics. (I think it sounds like drilling them, but everyone else thinks it's great!) He's always up for turning cooking into measurement practice or for doing impromptu science experiments or for saying, "Let's go figure out how that works."

The funny thing is that, in spite of all this, he is a singularly poor teacher. ;) (This is from him, not from me.) He has very little patience in teaching the kids -- and this is one of the most laid-back man I've ever known! (I'm usually the impatient one, but not with school.) I think he enjoys the "ah-ha!" moment, but so much of teaching is just not that. Needless to say, Daddy won't be taking over lessons when the baby comes. I've just arranged things so that the kids are ahead of schedule with lessons and they can do online activities, crafts, "field trips", and other hands-on stuff with Daddy while I'm nursing 15 times a day!

--Pamela

My DH works long hours and then comes home and works on finishing our basement (and before that laying hardwood flooring and before that gutting and redesigning the bathroom, and on and on).

He will check math and help if I can't do it, but he has told me to just buy TT next year so he doesn't have to do that as he doesn't feel he explains it well even though he understands it.

Dawn

Well, anything and nothing specific. :) He substitutes for me probably once a month, when he's in town and a conference call cancels at the last minute. He'll pop out of his office and say, "Take a break. I'll teach."

We're good like that. While we approach almost anything from different perspectives, we're very blessed that we can almost always sub for one another on any project. (It was like that when we worked together too.)

My dh's job is to bring home money so I can homeschool! ;-) He really doesn't get involved with schooling directly unless I ask him. He will be a math consultant when needed. He also wants to start things like car maintenance/woodworking when the kids get older. He will also involve the kids in projects around the house when he's doing them. He reads to the kids "fun" books at bed time.

Other than that, everything is up to me. That works for us. He also lets me make all the decisions concerning school. He is my sounding board though when I run into problems. He's a really good problem solver! :001_smile:

I can see as the kids get older leaning on him mostly for math help! That is my weakest area! That, and I'm finding I'm not so good at Chemistry either... but he isn't either! :001_smile:

My husband teaches the piano lessons. He also teaches all subjects if I need to be away. Oh, and he takes our daughter to her Saturday morning German class and takes a class himself at the same time.

He's a very involved dad, goes on all our weekend field trips, plays board games, reads aloud, gets the kids ready in the morning, etc. But I'm mainly responsible for our school.

From the moment I broached the idea of homeschooling he told me it would only me. He said he's support me if that's what I wanted to do, but that he wasn't interested in it at all and that he wouldn't even want to talk about it.

Soooo, once I got his 'vote' and after I prayed about it a bit I decided to homeschool. I do all the buying, planning, and teaching. I am home with my children all day. He leaves early in the am and comes home in time for dinner (or sometimes after).

Thankfully, he never asks about cost of anything and if I mention out loud that I want to buy a book he says 'well why don't you just buy it?'. Ok. :)

So, no, he doesn't teach. But he supports the idea.

THIS! (minus the animal disection) Dh teaches all those subjects that do not come with books, lesson plans, schedules or reports.

Faithe

DH is a musician, so he teaches the kids some basics of piano, introduces them to different types of music, and so on. He's also pretty outdoorsy and likes gardening, so he teaches them a lot about nature. This is all very informal, just integrated into the day, not formal lessons.

He's also taught them how to run from or fight monsters if the situation arises :)

Jessica

mom of 5yo and 3yo, homeschooling next year

Mine trusts and supports me, but I do almost all the teaching. He will to help when asked (supervise a math lesson, listen to the boys read) but he mainly does the life skills and goofy facts.

Generally I do all the preparation and almost all the homeschooling. He will be helping us with German (in a few years), science and any musical instrument besides piano.

It works for us.

THIS! (minus the animal disection) Dh teaches all those subjects that do not come with books, lesson plans, schedules or reports.

Faithe

LOL - sounds like my husband.

My dh doesn't teach anything. My first thought when I read the title was, "I don't go to his work and do part of his job, why would he do parts of mine?" :confused: He does watch educational shows with them and talk with them, plays with them, helps with projects and homework, but he would do those things regardless of how they were schooled. I also agree that he brings home a paycheck that allows us to homeschool. But I do seem to be more in the minority in this...maybe my views are shaped by the fact my husband is former military/military contractor? I often spent months, as many as 9 - 12 months at a time, being the only caregiver, teacher, parent, cook, adult in the house with very little, if any, outside help. I guess I've just learned not to rely on him for day-to-day things because we couldn't just go months and months without doing a subject that he had been delegated to teach just like I couldn't let the grass go unmowed or the car not maintained while he was gone and we certainly didn't have the money to pay someone to do these things. Now that he is home every night and not at risk of being sent off for months at a time, I dunno, I just don't see a need to delegate any of the teaching. I'm sure he'd do it if I asked but I just don't see a need to do so.

My dh doesn't teach anything. My first thought when I read the title was, "I don't go to his work and do part of his job, why would he do parts of mine?" :confused: He does watch educational shows with them and talk with them, plays with them, helps with projects and homework, but he would do those things regardless of how they were schooled. I also agree that he brings home a paycheck that allows us to homeschool. But I do seem to be more in the minority in this...maybe my views are shaped by the fact my husband is former military/military contractor? I often spent months, as many as 9 - 12 months at a time, being the only caregiver, teacher, parent, cook, adult in the house with very little, if any, outside help. I guess I've just learned not to rely on him for day-to-day things because we couldn't just go months and months without doing a subject that he had been delegated to teach just like I couldn't let the grass go unmowed or the car not maintained while he was gone and we certainly didn't have the money to pay someone to do these things. Now that he is home every night and not at risk of being sent off for months at a time, I dunno, I just don't see a need to delegate any of the teaching. I'm sure he'd do it if I asked but I just don't see a need to do so.

I can understand that hsing has for some time been your territory, and you may not NEED dh's help at all, but I'd consider this differently: how might he and the kids benefit from him being more involved with their learning? I guess I see dh's involvement in the kids hsing and activities as a gift to him and the kids and opportunity to build their relationship. Sure, I could do it all, but I definitely have seen a shift in the kids' attitude towards us -- from equal parent to me being the preferred parent -- esp since dh's hours increased. I don't think that's fair to dh or in the kids' best interest, so now we have to make more of an effort. For now, that means dh taking the older 2 to museums and parks, taking the toddler for solo walks; and leading some projects/activities. YMMV.

Carpentry and general repair, PE, including skiing and sailing. Above all, with his poor hearing and inability to read, he is teaching kiddo to be gentle towards other people's flaws. When people say "how will your child ever learn to cope with difficult people if they don't go to school", I can honestly shut them up with that great line I learned here: Obviously you don't know my husband!

It shuts them up 100% of the time!!

Nothing formal yet. I imagine, when the kids get older, he will help with math as he is a highschool math teacher:).

He does support me, trust me, and listens to my thoughts about what we are doing in homeschooling. But, we don't think it is necessary at this time for him to be involved teaching any of the curriculum.

We are very lucky that DH was able to take early retirement, so he is around quite a bit. But he freely admits that patience is not his strong suit, so instead of actual teaching he is my partner in other ways. He cooks dinner almost every night, and he does life skill projects with them to make sure that when we are done and I need to decompress I have alone time. We both are there for the really fun educational things like travel and field trips or projects and just jump in and follow our interests with the kids.

But I do seem to be more in the minority in this...maybe my views are shaped by the fact my husband is former military/military contractor? I often spent months, as many as 9 - 12 months at a time, being the only caregiver, teacher, parent, cook, adult in the house with very little, if any, outside help. I guess I've just learned not to rely on him for day-to-day things because we couldn't just go months and months without doing a subject that he had been delegated to teach just like I couldn't let the grass go unmowed or the car not maintained while he was gone and we certainly didn't have the money to pay someone to do these things.

Well, I'm right there with you. I think your reasoning is spot-on!