Menu

Chicken pox vax question - NOT debate

We don't VAX for this. I'd would rather they catch it naturally for better immunity.

However, so far none of them have.

I have three boys who are in full on puberty, which means they have reached an age where a vax makes more sense as chicken pox tends to be more serious for those in puberty and older.

I would like to take these three in for the vax, but I can't get clear answers on when would be best since this is likely going to make them mildly contagious for a period of time.

I am pregnant. Then afterwards, obviously I'll have a very young baby.

So when would be best to vax these boys and cause the least problems for pregnant mom and baby? Should I wait a year and do it when baby is 6 months +?

Of course ped says no, just vax everyone now.

Um. No. Not doing that.

If you would vax now, would you take any precautions and what would they be?

If you would wait until after baby is born, at what age would you feel comfortable doing it and again, any precautions?

TIA

Are you immune? The baby has no risk if you're immune, right? Or are you concerned the baby would catch it from a sibling (I forgot to check sig to see if you are very close to delivery).

I really think the risk of catching chicken pox from a vaccinated child is quite low. And, if you are immune (?) I'd rather have them vaxed while pregnant than when I had a young baby in the house. But, most people vax their kids even when they have pregnant moms or young siblings and I've never heard of transmission. I'm sure it's possible but, well, if it was highly transmissible this way I'd think yours (and my kids too...) would already have had it!

Find something that addresses this.

It is very rare for a vaccinated child to pass the virus on to others, but it does happen (2). Vaccinated children can pass the virus on to others only if they develop sores (which may occasionally occur around the injection site). A pregnant woman generally should have any susceptible children vaccinated at the recommended ages (12 to 15 months and 4 to 6 years), even if she knows she is susceptible (2, 6). This could help protect the pregnant woman from chickenpox because her risk of catching the infection from a vaccinated child is far less than the risk of contracting the infection from her unvaccinated child (6).
http://www.marchofdimes.com/complications_chickenpox.html

Susan C: the vax is, imo, a public health disaster. It does increase risk of shingles in older adults who aren't regularly exposed to the virus via the population like they used to be. It's a mess. That said, I would vaccinate a teen child or adult who hasn't had it yet. Risk of complications if contracted in adulthood is more than I would be comfortable with even given the shingles thing. If they never get chicken pox or get vaxed they can't get shingles. BUT, if they get chicken pox as an adult..... Overall, Mercola isn't entirely trustworthy in his presentation of information imo and experience (in many areas).

Edited by sbgrace

Why would they be catchy from getting the shot?

Mine don't have the chicken pox vax but i'm starting to wonder if they have some sort of natural immunity to it because they've been exposed several times (including an entire daycare full of chicken pox when they were 3 and 5!) and have yet to catch it.

It's odd how these things work! I didn't do the vax for my kids and they were exposed several times and didn't get it, either. Then, my 14yog (her age at that time) caught if from a boy "friend" who was recovering from shingles. She broke out full on... then gave it to a few more of the kids. Two of them never broke out with it, being in the home with them! Two teens ran high fevers for 3 days, but each time the doctor/nurse on duty said, "Stay home and wait it out."

Best of health to all of you, whatever you decide. :grouphug:

The vax is a live virus. So they can spread it and get it from the vax.

If you are immune, I would do it during pregnancy.

If they have hit puberty, IMO, they need to be vaccinated. I got them a second time, not enough immunity built up the first time, they day after my very first monthly and it was atrocious. It can cause a lot more problems at that age.

My oldest was the only one who didn't get vaccinated, but she got the chicken pox at 5 months, broke out on Christmas Day.

Shingles is actually caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox. It is a herpes virus, which means you have it forever. Just like fever blisters and the other kinds of herpes viruses. Shingles is when it becomes active based on your own immune system, not being exposed to it or not from active cases. When your body can't keep it in check because of a lowered immune system function, it becomes active.

The vax is a live virus. So they can spread it and get it from the vax.

If you are immune, I would do it during pregnancy.

If they have hit puberty, IMO, they need to be vaccinated. I got them a second time, not enough immunity built up the first time, they day after my very first monthly and it was atrocious. It can cause a lot more problems at that age.

My oldest was the only one who didn't get vaccinated, but she got the chicken pox at 5 months, broke out on Christmas Day.

Shingles is actually caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox. It is a herpes virus, which means you have it forever. Just like fever blisters and the other kinds of herpes viruses. Shingles is when it becomes active based on your own immune system, not being exposed to it or not from active cases. When your body can't keep it in check because of a lowered immune system function, it becomes active.

:iagree:I would have them done!

Unless someone has a very low immune system (due to chemo or something), the chances of getting chicken pox from someone else's vaccination are really really low. I would get it (for the boys) while you are still pregnant.

I agree with this. Even kids with cancer (very low immune system) go to school and of course are exposed to kids who were recently vaxed (my son had cancer, so I have first hand knowledge, not googling hearsay). There is not an issue there, so I would get it prior to the baby's birth. If the boys get it while the baby is still very young, then you could have a very sick baby in addition to very sick teens.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I had chicken pox at 17 years of age and it was HORRIBLE. I'd been exposed many times before then but never got them. I have no idea who gave them to me because I didn't know anyone at the time who had them.

We don't VAX for this. I'd would rather they catch it naturally for better immunity.

I have three boys who are in full on puberty, which means they have reached an age where a vax makes more sense as chicken pox tends to be more serious for those in puberty and older.

I would like to take these three in for the vax, but I can't get clear answers on when would be best since this is likely going to make them mildly contagious for a period of time.

I am pregnant. Then afterwards, obviously I'll have a very young baby.

So when would be best to vax these boys and cause the least problems for pregnant mom and baby? Should I wait a year and do it when baby is 6 months +?

Um. No. Not doing that.

If you would wait until after baby is born, at what age would you feel comfortable doing it and again, any precautions?

TIA

If your ped is agreeable, could you have titers done, to see if your teens are already immune? Maybe they had a very mild case, and are already immune?

I opted for the vax for my 1st ds, but he got the pox anyway. He gave it to ds2. I plan on waiting until age 13 or so, to vax dd4, if she doesn't get the disease on her own....only because it can be so serious and miserable to have as an adult.

If I were you, I would have them vaxed now, while you are still pg. When are you due?

Best wishes!

Have your Dr. run your ck pox titers. During my second pregnancy I asked for this to be done as part of my bloodwork b/c I wanted to know my risks if DS should get chicken pox. Turns out I'm still immune (and if yours come back that way too then I'd get the vax for them while you're still pg).

Honestly, if I wanted it done, I would look for accurate information on the CDC website or ask a doctor. In my understanding from what I am reading online, vaccinating your kids for chickenpox is not OK when you are pregnant, but it is not an issue with a small baby.

I was really hoping my dd would simply catch the disease, and although close friends had it, she never has. It's a particularly nasty disease for an adult to have, from the adults I've spoken to who've had it. We'll vaccinate around puberty.

I will not do the vaccination for any reason, nor will my family.

There are interesting articles on mercola.com about it. One article says the vax is causing a shingles epidemic.

Are you concerned that you or your family will *get* shingles from the vaccine?

I would vax the ones 10 and up. We don't vax for cp either. My youngest just got cp at 10 and had a horrible case. The older a child is the more severe the case of cp.

And interestingly, my 10 year old just had it and was fine, definitely *NOT* horrible. Our #2 had the worst of our 4. The 10 year old had a number on his trunk and scalp, but w/ a long sleeve shirt on, you couldn't tell he had it just by looking at his face.

I will have the kids get titers done b/c we had it, but it just didn't seem bad to me. The dr. office did see my son and the nurse called it a "good case", but only one of ours had the covered in spots look.

OP, I would get titers done on your older kids and if they are negative do the vaccine. I think as long as you've had it you and baby are ok. I have a pregnant friend whose children just got the CP (it just went around here!) and her dr. said she and baby were fine since she had had CP. I think the danger for baby is when Mom has not had CP or the vaccine.

From my understanding, having chicken pox lowers shingles chances (or severity?). And after getting chicken pox, being around others that have it gives your immunity a boost. So, with less mild childhood cases, there are more shingles cases. (This was statistically proven). Childhood chicken pox produces lifetime immunity, but no one knows how long the immunity from the vaccine is. The article was quite interesting, I'm still processing it, some of it seemed like a stretch, but more than one respected alternative health site has said this. I do not like that the vaccine was not tested as rigorously or as long as the older vaccines. And it has mercury in it. And, people get chicken pox who HAVE been vaccinated (which tells me the vaccine doesn't have a 100% prevention rate). So you can't assume that the vaccine will always work. That is the largest error in judgment that I see, always assuming vaccines work.

Cpox is really bad the older they get. All of mine got the vax and it didn't cause any problems. I am prone to the shingles and did not get them at the time that any of mine had the vaccination. I would have them all done. It is too much of a problem for you to get it while pregnant.

From my understanding, having chicken pox lowers shingles chances (or severity?). And after getting chicken pox, being around others that have it gives your immunity a boost. So, with less mild childhood cases, there are more shingles cases. (This was statistically proven). Childhood chicken pox produces lifetime immunity, but no one knows how long the immunity from the vaccine is. v.

Actually, you can only get shingles if you have had the chicken pox. I think the theory is that shingles cases have been going up because people, who had the chicken pox, aren't being routinely re-exposed to the chicken pox virus.

And interestingly, my 10 year old just had it and was fine, definitely *NOT* horrible. Our #2 had the worst of our 4. The 10 year old had a number on his trunk and scalp, but w/ a long sleeve shirt on, you couldn't tell he had it just by looking at his face.

I will have the kids get titers done b/c we had it, but it just didn't seem bad to me. The dr. office did see my son and the nurse called it a "good case", but only one of ours had the covered in spots look.

OP, I would get titers done on your older kids and if they are negative do the vaccine. I think as long as you've had it you and baby are ok. I have a pregnant friend whose children just got the CP (it just went around here!) and her dr. said she and baby were fine since she had had CP. I think the danger for baby is when Mom has not had CP or the vaccine.

That is good to know. I'm not a huge advocate of the cp vax, but only shared our experience. I felt like a horrible mom due to dds experience. I think my drop dead age for getting cp would be 12 or 13, otherwise I'd go with the vax. Now that cp is over here I am glad that all my kids had it.

If you have had CP (or the vax) already & are immune, I'd vax the kids during the second or last trimester of your pg. Ask your OB to be sure, of course, but I think that getting CP during pg is only dangerous during the 1st trimester, & your risk would be low from shedding. My kids got natural CP during my last pg & my OB wasn't concerned at all because it wasn't during the 1st trimester.

Peds nurse, here. Chicken pox is nothing to mess around with, despite people thinking it is just an inconvenient childhood illness. Between 5,000 and 9,000 people are hospitalized because of it every year and approximately 100 people die from it....in the USA.

Your children can be vaccinated now. You are immune if you had it as a child. Check with your OB to be sure.

Shingles is CAUSED by the chicken pox virus. Everyone who has had chicken pox has the herpes-zoster virus in their body forever. It will lie dormant in nerve endings along your spine and can be reactivated at any point in your life by any number of things. If you have never had chicken pox or received the vaccine, you can get chicken pox by being exposed to someone with shingles. Shingles itself is not contagious if you've already had chicken pox.

I highly recommend any child that has not received the vaccine and not contracted the illness to be vaccinated by the time they reach puberty. The disease gets nastier the older you get. Even in young children, the complications can be quite severe. Chickenpox is responsible for skin infections, pneumonia, myocarditis, hepatitis and a particularly nasty form of encephalitis. It is also thought to be responsible for 1/3 of all strokes suffered by children. Yes, the complications are rare, but they are real, and all parents should know about them so they can make informed decisions regarding their childrens' health.

HTH

Quick Q ~ both of my dds have already had one CP vax and now they want to do another. They say they need boosters. What is the research on this? Do they only need one booster or will it be many? I will ask about the titer test but the ped is leaning hard on doing the second vax for my almost 11 yr. TIA!

You can get them a bloodtest to be sure if they are immune.

I never had the chickenpox that I am aware of. But I must have been exposed at one point or another.

I was tested when I got pregnant at the age of 20. I was immune.

I would do this first. If they are not, I would get them vax'd.

Um. No. Not doing that.

TIA

I would wait till baby is born. I would wait till they hit 15 or 16 years old then request a blood test fo rtheir teter level on the chicken pox.

Here is why:

My son got exposed to chicken pox and developed a spot. My ped told me to go to my ob ASAP to see what we need to do about me because to my knowledge I never got chicken pox. Well, lo and behold, after the blood test came back on me (they put a rush on it and we found out within an hour) they said I am fine and had chicken pox before. I was shocked. I told them I never had spots. They asked me if I ever had been in a chicken pox party when I was younger (I am 38 years old right now) and I said yes. My brother had it really bad so my parents dumped my other brother and I in bed with him.

You just never know. All it takes is one spot. My son only had one spot and that was it. My other son is exposed to it so he should be ok. Sadly my daughter had the vac before I knew what it was.. I thought it was a standard vac but the ped never told me what it was. GGGGRRRR!!! Now she will be affected if she ever gets one as an adult.

So here are my two cents and a story. :D

Holly

Quick Q ~ both of my dds have already had one CP vax and now they want to do another. They say they need boosters. What is the research on this? Do they only need one booster or will it be many? I will ask about the titer test but the ped is leaning hard on doing the second vax for my almost 11 yr. TIA!

I heard they need a 2nd shot for chicken pox. (I am not happy about this because I would have preferred catching it naturally or chicken pox party)

I have heard also they would need one every 10 years. Too many conflicting reports on this right now so not sure what to do myself at this point.

Holly

I've never heard of being able to catch chicken pox from someone who is contagious simply from getting the shot, and I would imagine that if that is truly a possibility, the odds must be incredibly low unless you have problems with your immune system- but, still, I'd rather have them do it now than with a baby already in the house, if that were a concern of mine. So I'd schedule the appointment and get them done.

My kids are all vaccinated on schedule. My son had his CP at 18 months (thats when they do it here in Aus) and I was pregnant at the time with my littlest. The DR told me there was no risk of catching it. I had it as a kid anyway so I'm immune.

I'd never take my kids to a CP or measles party - I don't understand why people WANT their kids to catch these risky diseases. Complications can and do still happen. Both my brothers and I had a truly terrible case of measles as kids -one we were lucky to not have had any lasting complications from. We were all off school for 6 weeks and completely bedridden the whole time.

I would never expose my kids to that knowingly.:confused:

Actually, you can only get shingles if you have had the chicken pox. I think the theory is that shingles cases have been going up because people, who had the chicken pox, aren't being routinely re-exposed to the chicken pox virus.

You can also get shingles if you have had the vaccine. I know 3 children personally who have had it several years after being vaccinated for cp (but never having the disease itself).

OOPS! Never mind! Deleting my comment!

I was responding to a post about chicken pox parties, but didn't want to make it appear that Martha ever suggested it. I think the post I responded to was in response to an innocent observation in an earlier post (neither of which was penned by Martha.) As far as I know, no one here has advocated intentionally exposing their kids to chickenpox, and I know Martha specifically mentioned that she didn't want this thread to turn into a debate.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

My kids are all vaccinated on schedule. My son had his CP at 18 months (thats when they do it here in Aus) and I was pregnant at the time with my littlest. The DR told me there was no risk of catching it. I had it as a kid anyway so I'm immune.

I'd never take my kids to a CP or measles party - I don't understand why people WANT their kids to catch these risky diseases. Complications can and do still happen. Both my brothers and I had a truly terrible case of measles as kids -one we were lucky to not have had any lasting complications from. We were all off school for 6 weeks and completely bedridden the whole time.

I would never expose my kids to that knowingly.:confused:

:glare: missed the NOT debate section of the subject line and obviously didn't read the thread. :glare:

Didn't ask for a debate about vaxing and no one in this thread said a thing about having a contagious party to catch it.

from the reading below, i would suggest you have you titers done to see if you already have antibodies for chickenpox before deciding.

good luck,

ann

from this uk website http://www.womens-health.co.uk/chickpox.asp

Risks to the baby are important at the following two times, if mum gets chicken-pox:

1. Before 20 weeks - risk of chicken pox syndrome. This is actually quite rare. Up until 14 weeks the risk is about 0.4%, whereas between 14-20 weeks it is 2%. If a woman has VZ-Ig treatment (see below) after being exposed, the risk is even lower.

2. Mum's rash developing within a week before delivery to a month afterwards. It takes about a week for mum to pass the protective antibodies to the baby, so if born before that time, the babe is at risk of overwhelming infection after birth.

Between 20 weeks and term there is no risk to the baby. The other big risk of chicken pox is to the mother. She is much more likely, during pregnancy, to get a chicken pox pneumonia (10%) which can be very severe (even life-threatening).

from this american website http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chickenpox-and-pregnancy/HO00036

f chickenpox develops during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy — particularly between weeks 8 and 20 — the baby faces a slight risk of a rare group of serious birth defects known as congenital varicella syndrome. A baby who has congenital varicella syndrome may develop:

• Scars on the skin
  • Muscle and bone defects
  • Malformed limbs
  • Vision problems
  • Mental retardation

The second window of vulnerability is at the end of pregnancy. If chickenpox develops during the few days before delivery, the baby may be born with a potentially life-threatening infection.

here's what this canadian website said about effectiveness

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/immun/varicella.html

How effective is the vaccine?

It is estimated that the varicella vaccine will offer 70 to 90 per cent protection against chicken pox of any severity and over 95 per cent protection against severe varicella for at least seven to 10 years after vaccination.,,, Some children may get a very mild case of chicken pox one or two weeks after they get the vaccine but are not likely to be contagious.

I've never heard of being able to catch chicken pox from someone who is contagious simply from getting the shot, and I would imagine that if that is truly a possibility, the odds must be incredibly low unless you have problems with your immune system- but, still, I'd rather have them do it now than with a baby already in the house, if that were a concern of mine. So I'd schedule the appointment and get them done.

This is exactly how we got the chx pox. A vaccinated child... gave it to a friend

... who gave it to us :)

I see the OP has decided to go ahead with the vaccine. I just wanted to add my story of getting cp as an adult. I was twenty-one and student teaching. It was an absolute nightmare. I was exposed several times as a kid, as I'm the youngest of five, but for whatever reason never got cp. My mom felt so bad that I hadn't had it before, and ironically the vaccine came out a couple months after I got sick.

My only concern with not getting the vaccine for younger kids is the shingles problem. It seems more of an issue now that not that many kids are actually getting cp. I know a family that didn't vaccinate, and two of their kids have already had shingles after getting cp earlier in life. I really debated about our kids after my ordeal, because I was worried the vaccine would wear off. We ended up vaccinating, and have now done a booster as well. I guess time will tell if it was the best choice.

:glare: missed the NOT debate section of the subject line and obviously didn't read the thread. :glare:

Didn't ask for a debate about vaxing and no one in this thread said a thing about having a contagious party to catch it.

I responded to the post you just quoted, but in the interest of avoiding a debate (or making it appear that you ever suggested something like intentionally exposing your dc to chickenpox,) I deleted my comments, with a brief note -- because I hate it when people delete their posts without explanation, and I feel like I've missed something juicy!

Sorry, Martha -- I hope my post didn't do anything to derail your topic! :blush:

Cat

I responded to the post you just quoted, but in the interest of avoiding a debate (or making it appear that you ever suggested something like intentionally exposing your dc to chickenpox,) I deleted my comments, with a brief note -- because I hate it when people delete their posts without explanation, and I feel like I've missed something juicy!

Sorry, Martha -- I hope my post didn't do anything to derail your topic! :blush:

Cat

No problem.:)

I will have to check to see if a titter has already been done on me for cp. I know I'm not immune to rubella, despite having had all the vaccines as a child and two boosters over the years after babies were born. That one just isn't taking to me for some reason.

I did have chicken pox in 2nd grade. Vividly remember it.:tongue_smilie:

By the sound of it, getting the older boys vaxed would be best next month when I'm well away from 21 weeks and my due date.

Thanks!