Menu

Minor Vent/PSA

When I see Dystyny I think of dystenary, for some reason.

Piper's name is unique, but pretty basic spelling. Occasionally I'll get Pipper, which, following the grammar rules, would be pronounced with a short i.

Zoie, poor kid. There are 3 legitimate spellings of that name. DH thought Zoe looked like it would rhyme with Toe. So we went with Zoie. At least people know how to pronounce it. ;)

My name is Cindy, and I'm surprised how many times people think it's Sydney. Oh well, no matter WHAT the name, SOMEBODY's gonna have an issue with it.

My Piper has been asked if her name is spelled Pyper, and people have also mis-heard it as Fifer, Hyper, and Paper!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that, too. :D

MY name is Audrey. Not Audra, not Andrea, not Adrienne, not Aubrey and most certainly not Audie.

I've always hated my name. I wanted to be named Michelle or Stephanie, or Jennifer or Kimberley or Tammy or Lori -- just like every other girl my age. I never met people with my name unless they were 50 years older than me. I've always thought it was such an old lady name. My mom said it's because she and dad saw Breakfast at Tiffany's on their first date. I suppose it could be worse. She could have named me George.

Absolutely not Audie. I won't even respond to that one.

I am fine with my name though. And I'm named after Linda Evans's character on Big Valley because my dad had a crush on her. :tongue_smilie:

I'm also in the camp of if you give your child an unusual name then just be prepared to correct, or explain to people, no need to get offended.

My dd's name is Annika, (AH-nih-kuh third sound of a, short i, and schwa for the end) dh and I heard in while watching Star Trek Voyager and he loved it. I thought it was pretty, but my poor dd has gone through life with most strangers calling uh-KNEE-kuh. She really hates when people call her that, but has learned to politely correct them. We also call her Anna (AH-nuh) for short which of course if someone sees it spelled the automatically go for AN-uh, the worst is when people call her Annie, that really ticks her off, but again she's learned to be polite and just correct people.

My name is Kelly, my mom thought I was unique and never gave me a middle name, which has caused all sorts of issues when filling out Military paperwork, for some reason people always think I forgot to put my middle name or initial. For awhile I tried writing in "NMI" which I was told is the common abbreviation for No Middle Initial, and then people started asking "that's an interesting middle name, how do you pronounce that?" I just can't seem to win. I've also been told numerous times that my mother gave me the male spelling of the name. She has told me that it never dawned on her that it could be spelled any other way. I'm just grateful that she didn't let the Dr. sway her when I was born on July 3rd, he suggested they name me Liberty Belle, and with a last name of Moczynski (Mo-shin-ski--long o on the first syllable) wouldn't that have been fun. :confused:

When I got married I thought my new last name would be a breeze but you'd be amazed how people can butcher Pederson (PEE-der-son) I get if they make the first e a short sound, but lots of people add an "N" before the d, I also had many people call here looking for Pederson Kelly, thinking my last name is my first and my first name is my last. I almost forgot the mail we get for P. Derson

Edited by nukeswife

I've only read a few of the replies --- but I think that if someone is going to give their child a name and then every single time they tell someone the name, they have to spell it for them, or spell what it sounds like, or give a history lesson about it - well, maybe (and I mean that nicely) re-think it.

We knew a couple who named their little girl Kati ---------WAIT! You think it's 'Katie' or pronounced 'Katie' don't you? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, it's pronounced 'Coty.' It's the German pronunciation of Kati -- they were ALWAYS explaining it to everyone. It became tiresome.

MY name is Audrey. Not Audra, not Andrea, not Adrienne, not Aubrey and most certainly not Audie.

I've always hated my name. I wanted to be named Michelle or Stephanie, or Jennifer or Kimberley or Tammy or Lori -- just like every other girl my age. I never met people with my name unless they were 50 years older than me. I've always thought it was such an old lady name. My mom said it's because she and dad saw Breakfast at Tiffany's on their first date. I suppose it could be worse. She could have named me George.

When I was a little girl (5 or 6) Audrey was my absolute favorite name in the world - I wished my mom had named me Audrey. I still really like it.

I also HATE my name.

ITA about spelling things "differently" on purpose. Talk about frustrating.

My daughter's name is Kathryn (oldest dd...). It is an accepted alternate spelling... well, at least for 4 generations. Since DD great-great grandmother was Kathryn, her great-grandmother is Nellie Kathryn... one of my mom's cousin is a Kathryn, and then we have my Kathryn.

Despite that, there is one close relative who can't spell my dd's name right. In fact, she wrote it 3 different ways, on 3 different Christmas presents the same year... and each one was WRONG. Katherine, Catherine, and Kathryne... and one of the gifts was a personalized (wrong) gift. OY! What a year that was.

All of my children have, what I consider, traditional names, with traditional spellings.... apparently, though, people would rather spell Abigail, "Abbygail." And Abby, "Abbie."

Oh, I'm scared to do it for fear the mom (whom I like) reads this board. Her daughter is only a baby, but she plans to homeschool and is probably already researching her options. In the baby's name both the spelling and pronunciation are distorted, and the original version (the name of a famous female character in one of Longfellow's poems) is so beautiful. It was an abomination to mess with it.

Please tell me it didn't come out something like a female body part.

My kids have accepted spellings for their names. I/or they have recieved

Ema for Emma

Spenser for Spencer

Conner for Connor

and poor Lily~ my favorite invitation was addressed to Lyli.

Adeline gets spelled right but pronounced AdaLYNN.

Oh well, my name was the most popular name of the '60's and people still asked me is it Lisa or Lesa or Leesa or......

Oh no! I think Audrey's pretty, but I have always loved how unusual my name is--except when people can't pronounce it. And since I've mostly only heard of men w/ the name, I love conjuring up images of a dashing black & white actor from, say, the 1920s.

ETA: I've just realized from rereading your list that you must have grown up in the 70s, & I bet the decade you grow up in could make a pretty big difference in how you feel about a name. (Plus I realize the combination of your middle name probably effects how you feel about it, too.)

I take "Audrey" in stride, but my grandmother has always called me "ARbrey" or "Abby." Abby's dd's name, so I'm obviously fine w/ it, but it's not *my* name, lol. ARbrey makes me BATTY.

I went through life with an odd name. Lah rah Not lora or Laira. We moved alot so at each school I changed to a new nickname.

To top it off I had a Non German lastname that people butchered be German. So people butchered both names and I've always spelled them. Then I married a scott and I have to spell my new last name!! I always say my name and spell it at the same time. At least it is sort the correct ethnic background. Although I am Texan, which basically means my ethnic background is mutt.

Sometimes there is not a right way. For instance my daughter is Regan. Like egg. Everyone pronounces it like Raygan. Megan is pronounced correctly.

How else could I have spelled it?

Rehgan?

Reggan?

I should have named her Jordan.

Lah Rah

My name is common but not hugely popular. Its Colleen. Everyone spells it with an i, a, y... I find it funny and it is usually a good ice breaker and an opening to conversation. Growing up and still till this day my father pronounces it "Ko-leen" and my mom "Call-een" LOL.

I am all about uniqueness and creativity. I love seeing unique names.

However, with that said...if you choose to name your child some funky, weird spelling name, you HAVE to accept the outcome of your decision. You WILL be explaining the name/spelling/pronunciation, you totally ask for it. I dont think its the spelling or the unusual names as the problem, perhaps its the attitude of the people who chose the name when asked to clarify.

Ive only come across one really really upset person when I didnt pronounce her daughters name correctly.

How would you pronounce this? You are going to be shocked!

La-a

Ladasha. I've never seen a real person with it spelled like that though. I worked with a girl with a very similar name, but it was spelled out.

I only knew because I've seen in before. :001_huh:

I've always hated my name, because there is no nickname. People use to tell me my name was Petula or Pauline and I'd get so upset, because it's not! It's Paula, which means little in Latin. At least it's Latin. :glare:

My maiden name is of English origin. I always had to spell it. When I got married I thought the very common Irish name would be an improvement. No way, people can't spell it either.

My maiden name is of English origin. I always had to spell it. When I got married I thought the very common Irish name would be an improvement. No way, people can't spell it either.

OMG! Me, too! My maiden name is an English name that really shouldn't be that hard to pronounce. You say it pretty much the way it's spelled. It was an ugly, harsh enough sounding name as it was, but people would ALWAYS butcher it, making it far worse sounding, and it was the rare person who would spell it properly. Even when I was standing right in front of them s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g it out s-l-o-w-l-y for them, they'd still spell it wrong.

So, then I married a French Canadian with a very pretty last name that is pronounced just like you would think it is pronounced, but..... people still say it wrong and spell it a thousand different ways.

At least I'm much farther up in the alphabet than I used to be. I always hated being last (or nearly last) in line when we had to line up alphabetically. Unfortunately, there is little advantage to this in real life, as lining up alphabetically is remarkably unimportant to most adults I know.

Why can't people spell Amy? No, it's not Aimee, or Aymee, or whatever. I think these uncommon spellings are so common now that people can't spell them the original way anymore.

And talk about functionally illiterate. My son's name is Elliot. Recently a doctor's office called about test results for "Eleet". Even my MIL says Ell-yot. But that's more about her Southern accent I guess.

My oldest daughters are Bailey and Riley. When people ask how they're spelled, I say "the normal way," which usually elicits a snicker. Okay, I know that technically there are acceptable variations, but I've seen some really bizarre ways to spell their names. My third daughter's name is Rory, which people inevitably hear as "Lauri."

My maiden name is German. Sigh. Never spelled or pronounced correctly. Actually, my married name is German as well, and often mispronounced, but at least it's spelled correctly. And then my parents went and named me Catherine, but decided to nick name me Katie. So neither my given name or my nick name were ever spelled right, since people assumed they'd start with the same letter.

Edited by KatieH
fixing grammar

Why can't people spell Amy? No, it's not Aimee, or Aymee, or whatever. I think these uncommon spellings are so common now that people can't spell them the original way anymore.

I understand completely.

And talk about functionally illiterate. My son's name is Elliot. Recently a doctor's office called about test results for "Eleet".

And this...my hubby's name is Hugh. Telemarketers call for Hug. "Is Hug in?" No...and he's not likely to return anytime soon.

I have a very common name but people always choose the more popular way to spell it. It drives me nuts. It's Sara without H and when I say it to people for paperwork or documentation situations, I always say Sara without an H so they fill it out properly. Nine times out of ten they will still put an H on it. :glare:

If it makes you feel better I have the exact opposite problem. My name is Sarah with the H. 8 times out of 10 people spell it Sara and if I say Sarah with an H I get things like Shara, Sahra, Sarha. Seriously people how hard is it to spell Sarah either with or without the H? There really are only two accepted spelling for the name and each is equally valid!

Yes, to this! The future generations will be so confused on spelling that ALL names (spelled traditionally or not) will be mangled.

This is what I'm seeing. I have to spell my name all the time, which is incredibly irritating since I have such a common name that used to be spelled only one way! How many ways can you spell Jessica?! I have to spell Nikolai's name for people less often than I have to spell my own!!! They can figure out how to spell a Russian name, but not a common American one? I definitely blame it on the creative spelling name craze.

The really funny thing about my name is that my father, up until recently, spelled it Bridget. He said that as long as I live in America, I should spell it the American way. Ummm, Dad, I didn't pick the spelling, you did.

The kids in my family who were born in Belgium have American names and my oldest sister and I, born in the US, have European names. Go figure.

Bridget is the Celtic spelling.

a

I went through life with an odd name. Lah rah Not lora or Laira. We moved alot so at each school I changed to a new nickname.

To top it off I had a Non German lastname that people butchered be German. So people butchered both names and I've always spelled them. Then I married a scott and I have to spell my new last name!! I always say my name and spell it at the same time. At least it is sort the correct ethnic background. Although I am Texan, which basically means my ethnic background is mutt.

Sometimes there is not a right way. For instance my daughter is Regan. Like egg. Everyone pronounces it like Raygan. Megan is pronounced correctly.

How else could I have spelled it?

Rehgan?

Reggan?

I should have named her Jordan.

Lah Rah

:confused: I'm not getting the difference. The differing pronunciations of Laura/LahRah sound so subtle to me that I'm not sure I would hear the diffrence there, either.

:iagree:

I talked my good friend out of speliing Maya "Maia"....

I told her she would fight it for the rest of her life - and it looked like "May-ah" to me.....

Maia is the eldest of the Pleiades and she is the mother of Hermes. That isn't a new fangled spelling.

Maya is a civilization, Maia is a name.

Edited by Sis

Really?

For me, name your child whatever you want. Spell it whatever way you want. Rights, and freedoms, ya know. Feel free to let me know if I spelled it wrong, I'll try to do better next time. Plus what's wrong with being creative?? I guess we should all stick with Bob, Dick and Jane.

I've got bigger fish to fry then worry about what other's name their children.

Naming is a very cultural or even spiritual thing to some. Some names people are complaining about are perfectly normal names in other countries.

:confused: I'm not getting the difference. The differing pronunciations of Laura/LahRah sound so subtle to me that I'm not sure I would hear the diffrence there, either.

Maybe its just me but Regan is with a short e sound, like egg and people pronounce it like long a (like way)

Lara is a short a (like are) not the long o like Lora (but worst is long a (like Laira)

Perhaps I am super sensitive and should let it go....this is me...letting it go.

Lara

Maybe its just me but Regan is with a short e sound, like egg and people pronounce it like long a (like way)

Lara is a short a (like are) not the long o like Lora (but worst is long a (like Laira)

Perhaps I am super sensitive and should let it go....this is me...letting it go.

Lara

I think this is very interesting because I was born and reared in the Midwest, then I moved to Philly. My neighbor said, "you say Merry, Mary and Marry" all the same way!" I said,"that's because they are all pronounced the same!" The way SHE said those words I could tell that, to other people, they really did have different pronunciations! :lol:

Until that moment, I never knew. :001_huh:

We have an Audrey. We call her Audie a lot. Also Au-to-moe, Automobile, Au-to-mo-ti-ah-mos. We like to lengthen names here. :lol: I think the name Audrey is so pretty! She gets a lot of compliments on her name. But some people do call her Aubrey sometimes.

Lara

The "lara" thing, I totally get - it's different than laura/lora.... but I still can't imagine the difference in the other because "way" and "egg" both have the same long A (ay) sound.

This is probably just one of those regional things. ;)

When I was a little girl (5 or 6) Audrey was my absolute favorite name in the world - I wished my mom had named me Audrey. I still really like it.

I also HATE my name.

If it makes you feel any better, my daughter loves the name Mariann. It's her beloved doll's name. :001_smile:

Also a hater of my name here.

May I add that I don't like it when a name is constantly spelled wrong by the community at large or the community at large doesn't recognise that there are LEGITIMATE other ways of spelling names (sometimes it's a regional thing). Several of our family members have normally spelled names, but others spell them wrong. One member, they at least ASK if it's "v" or "ph".

Word. Maia (Μαια) is the name of one of the Plieades in Greek mythology. It's a totally legitimate (and traditional) spelling. My youngest's name is Graeme, which is a traditional English spelling, although Graham is more common. And there are plenty of old names that people simply don't recognize, so they assume the names are "invented". I watched somebody go into paroxysms of grandmotherly grief over a very traditional Irish name (Kieran, I think) simply b/c she'd never heard it before. Her son's and daughter's intentions were to honor their family heritage.

Sorry, Impish, not trying to derail! In solidarity, I will say that I had a horrible time with all the Briannas in my oldest's playgroups when he was little. The toughest spelling was Brieannah.

Ooh, and that designer I didn't like on one of the TLC shows...Chayse Dacoda?

Edited by Saille

I talked my good friend out of speliing Maya "Maia"....

I told her she would fight it for the rest of her life - and it looked like "May-ah" to me.....

Maia is Greek. Pretty well-known figure in mythology. Hope your friend doesn't get mad at you later. My best friend in high school's name was Maia. No one thought it was weird.

By the same token, I have a friend whose daughter is named Aislyn (pronounced Ash-lynn). It stressed me out because I knew that she had given her daughter a name that reflected their Irish heritage, but I could never remember what it was because the spelling and pronunciation was incongruous to me. Now I have a handle on it so it doesn't bother me, but for the longest time I was embarrassed because I had to keep asking her what her daughter's name was. She's used to it. It doesn't seem to bother them. They give a happy, proud explanation of the name, their heritage, and its meaning.

All I want to know is what happened to the older beautiful spelling of Michaela? Every Michaela I've seen in the last 15 years is spelled Mikayla.

My spell checker recognizes Michaela, but puts a red line under Mikayla.

Well, my Mikayla is spelled that way because her dad (not my dh!!!) had a brother named Michael that he disliked and didn't want her name so close to his. I had wanted a Mikayla since I was a little girl so I changed the spelling, not the name. I do prefer Michaela, but oh well.

You would probably say I pronounce egg with the ay sound, so egg, Megan, and Regan would rhyme for me anyway. Of course, I'm from the Deep South. :tongue_smilie:

The first time I met my FIL, he asked if I pronounced my name Megg-(short e)an or May-gan. And I said, "I don't know." :001_unsure: People pronounced it both ways and I'd always assumed it was an accent thing. After taking some time and actually thinking about it, I said, "Well, I think my parents always called me May-gan."

I am with ya to a point...

I spelled Erik with a K. I wanted to spell Olivia, Alivia, because NO ONE ever says O-liv-eya, they say A-liv-eya, and it bugged me. I am over it now though. I also wanted to spell Elena, Elaina- which I still love, but when she born I just knew it should be there other way, I don't know why... I think if it's an accepted way of spelling it, if phonetically it works without looking too weird, then fine :)

I spelled Erik with a K. I wanted to spell Olivia, Alivia, because NO ONE ever says O-liv-eya, they say A-liv-eya, and it bugged me. I am over it now though. I also wanted to spell Elena, Elaina- which I still love, but when she born I just knew it should be there other way, I don't know why... I think if it's an accepted way of spelling it, if phonetically it works without looking too weird, then fine :)

I would have said O-liv-eya. I've always pronounced that name that way. I've never heard anyone say it the other way. Hmm, learn something new everyday.

I say it "Oh-LIV-ee-uh". I'm not a Texan, however.

How about the folks who lose their heads when you pronounce "Eva" as "E-va" as opposed to "eh-va" because, of course, as a mother-of-several-homeschooling-mom-business-owner-crazy-woman who sees this kid one hour a few times a month, I OF COURSE, MUST be able to remember the pronunciation they have selected from several traditional options.

These folks look at me like the devil whenever I mispronounce their daughter's name. After a few times, I learned to NEVER SAY HER NAME. I just refer to Eva as "She" or "Her" b/c I can NEVER remember whether it is E-Va or Eh-Va. . . I just know that ONE is right and ONE is WRONG. . . and that I always screw it up. . . and I think I have PTSD about it now. (And this occurred about 4 years ago, so you can see it had a major impact!)

To think how many wounded psyches are walking around from this one child's parents attachment to a specific pronounciation!

I mean, get over yourself, for real.

My last name is unusual enough that. . . Folks mispronounce it ALL THE TIME. In fact, when we had on-hold tapes made for it, the company mispronounced it throughout the tape! Dozens of times! Know what, I DON'T CARE. I know who they mean. They mean us. Who cares how they say it!! I didn't even bother to have the company redo the tapes. Not worth the phone call.

Correcting folks' pronounciation is just plain RUDE whether they mispronounce a random vocab word or your name. Just Let. It. Go!

Hijack complete. Thanks for listening. :)

How about the folks who lose their heads when you pronounce "Eva" as "E-va" as opposed to "eh-va" because, of course, as a mother-of-several-homeschooling-mom-business-owner-crazy-woman who sees this kid one hour a few times a month, I OF COURSE, MUST be able to remember the pronunciation they have selected from several traditional options.

These folks look at me like the devil whenever I mispronounce their daughter's name. After a few times, I learned to NEVER SAY HER NAME. I just refer to Eva as "She" or "Her" b/c I can NEVER remember whether it is E-Va or Eh-Va. . . I just know that ONE is right and ONE is WRONG. . . and that I always screw it up. . . and I think I have PTSD about it now. (And this occurred about 4 years ago, so you can see it had a major impact!)

In my family either one would be correct, but you'd have to remember to whom you were referring. E-va was my grandmother's name. Her dil, my aunt, is Eh-va, both names written Eva.

I *hated* my name growing up. Hated it. NO ONE had it. All I wanted was to be named something normal. But it was the only name that both my parents could say in their own languages, which I thought was a pretty awesome way to get a name.

Then I got older and loved my name. I really did-I had to grow into it. Until everyone and their brother started naming their girls with it and now my name might as well be Jane.