Menu

A gentle proposal to moms of youngers.

FloridaLisa

I started to post this under one of the posts asking for input on a schedule but, not being targeted to anyone in particular, I thought it was worth posting separately. I just want to throw out a suggestion to all moms of youngers. Take the time now while you have it to explore, discover, play. Go to the museums, historical sites, factory tours, u-pick farms, play days and pumpkin patches. Enjoy these young years. Believe me, they are fleeting and before you know it, you'll be up to your eyeballs in such hairy stuff that it's difficult to take a day off. :001_smile:

Even though I still have several littles, once my oldest hit a certain age, it became very hard to justify taking off for a field trip. And I hate leaving him to buckle down to his books while we go play! So, each year, it seems we take fewer and fewer field trips. And *I* miss them!

I'm sure you are already planning lots of this, but many are eager to jump into all the great curricula they've researched, reviewed and discussed and in their hastiness, overlook the glory of these precious years.

Many blessings! Go back to your regularly-scheduled planning!

Lisa

As I sit perusing curriculum yet again...this was a much needed reminder. It's not all about books. Spring/summer is such a great time of year for field trips. I think instead of planning out the "books", I'll start planning the trips...u-pick-farms are soo much fun, a trip or 2 or 3 to the zoo, trip to the Balto. Museum of Art (dh works right across the street...we could meet for lunch!), lots of play-time, trips to playground to "let off some steam", pool-time in the summer, nature walks/studies, etc. Thanks for the reminder...I was just musing w/ dh that my 2nd born will be turning "double-digits" in a week! :001_huh:

I totally agree. I have an older son, so when my "second batch" of kidlets came along, I knew how fast the time would fly. Still, I fell victim at times to the wonderful curriculum and the feeling that we had to do. more. school.

It's a long road and play IS learning for little people. Enjoy and explore the world in the young years. Sitting at the table with pencil in hand will get done to death soon enough.

I soooo agree with this! It's a great reminder! Kids have so many years of schooling ahead of them! While they're young, allow them to enjoy the learning process and do the fun things mentioned above! Soon enough they will be buckling down to study, so we don't need to rush our little ones into that.....yet! :)

Fabulous advice! Hard to do when you're in the midst of things, but as the mother of children who are now 13, 11, 6 and 2, I agree with everything you have said. It just isn't so easy to justify a trip to the zoo anymore as a school day, yet I feel guilty about my younger children not having the opportunity to do that sort of thing as frequently as the older ones did in their earlier years.

It is hard to see the importance of play some days, but it is SO CRITICAL. And, from experience, I can say that the more rigorous academic work we did when the kids were younger certainly didn't hurt anything, but it doesn't all stick, either. Which is why no one is walking away from a 2nd grade study of, say, polar bears equipped to get a job as a zoologist. Haha. Hope that makes sense... my brain is a bit foggy today from an allergy to something blooming in my yard and a lack of coffee!

Great post; thanks for the reminder to keep things balanced.

Shelly

Right now I don't have a car so field trips are very limited but I could squeeze them in on Thursdays when a friend loans me her car.

I have definitely been focusing on play dates, play at home, enjoying nature, etc. but I hadn't thought about scheduling in lots of field trips when I have my friend's car. I'm very glad for the reminder.

It's a long road and play IS learning for little people. Enjoy and explore the world in the young years. Sitting at the table with pencil in hand will get done to death soon enough.

:iagree:

Enjoy the young years. Play a lot -- indoors or outdoors. That's how young children learn.

to figure out as a newbie. There is guilt involved in focusing too much on one or the other. Too much focus on fun and you wonder if you're providing the education that your child deserves. Too much focus on academics and you feel as though you're not providing the fun childhood memories your child deserves. Ugh.

Those of us just starting out have to go through a "de-schooling" period, I think. I personally worked at a preschool--though it was Montessori--where children were reading, writing and doing simple math at age 3 and 4. My dd basically got a kindergarten education there when she was three. I feel the pressure to continue to challenge her academically, and this part comes natural to me as a teacher. However, I ache over not being as good at planning fun things for her.

I am looking into Charlotte Mason and trying to learn how to shed a lot of the traditional school ideas that are such a part of my thinking. Right now my frustration is that I have so little time to actually sit down and read and research these things personally with a baby. When school is done and he's napping I come and feast from you guys' research. :001_smile: Small bits I can handle. Hopefully, I will be able to make the time to read more once school ends.

Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Dawn

:iagree:

Enjoy the young years. Play a lot -- indoors or outdoors. That's how young children learn.

Yes, I wish I hadn't pushed my older two so much when they were young. I'm much more relaxed with my younger two. Let them play and have fun! Nature walks, field trip and just plain playing are the best things when they're so young. Make formal lessons short. Enjoy this time! It's really does fly by.

Since two of my oldest were out today, I took the youngest four to Chuckee Cheese at their request. I know, I know. I had visions of the museum or Spanish fort or zoo at the least. But, it was great having a day off and watching my 15-month-old use all her effort to get up the steps, turn to her belly and head down the slide. Aaaahhh . . . simple pleasures. My prayer is that I'll incorporate more of those simple pleasures into our schooling this year.

Have a great day all --

Lisa

This is an excellent post!! I could not agree more. It saddens me to no end to see moms of truly little ones - and 5, 6, 7, and 8 are still little ones - not enjoying the time. I know we all have our goals and that seat time is still important, but wow, my oldest is now 13 and I don't know where the time went. (And we are starting some "hairy" subjects next year!!) :) Enjoy those littles! :)

Thanks for an wonderful post!!

Very timely advice for me too. We actually spent all day today on a family field trip and we had a wonderful time. On the way home, I realized that our last field trip was in the fall and I was quite ashamed of myself. Granted, we spent most of the winter with at least one child sick, but surely we could have gotten out a little bit more.

Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate the thoughts of those several years farther down the road.

Another thank you for the reminder. My oldest is very accelerated and it's sometimes hard not to think of doing more and more. Just today I was thinking about taking a break from some of the things we have been doing and doing some fun things like lapbooks and getting outside more.

The week after Labor Day is the BEST for museums. All the families have gone home (to start school) and the school trips haven't started yet (too early in the year.) It is perfect for taking littles who might wander away. Don't worry about starting everything that week, but at least take the morning to luxuriate in a nearly-empty museum. Or if you must, start school in mid-August and take that week off. It is a great secret!!!

Pat

Gosh, am I the only one that cannot afford these things??? We have 2 vehicles that we need to pray over every time we get in them. No money to get them fixed or replaced. We have little to no income. The museum is not an option. We have been attempting the zoo, but alas it would cost us near $100 between tickets and food. It just ain't happening. So if my little loves books then why not enjoy them? If she loves Leap Frog we are happy she is happy. If she loves writing then we are glad she has something fun to do. I don't believe in PUSHING a young child, but if they have interest in these things that are available to us then I really don't see harm. I would love to go to a fort with her, or watch her expression when seeing a monkey swing, or go to a play, etc, etc, etc. But my goodness with the price of gas it cost me $7 to go to the post office to mail off sold books. I just don't see how anyone can afford these things these days. I see your heart and it is kind, but it just doesn't work for everyone like that. I think anyone can do Kindergarden for 2 years though (IF the child wants to). Just cus you are done with K doesn't mean you need to progress to 1st at such a young age. You should see my dd light up when she counts to 10 by herself, or says all of the sounds of the alphabet. I can't see denying her these simple pleasures when it is almost all she has got. Yes, we take her outside. She *helps* in the garden, she plays in the sand, she watches a frog pass by. But she needs more variety and books provide that. And some curriculum is made just right for the littles...not pushy, just fun.

Gosh, am I the only one that cannot afford these things???

I don't think the point is to spend money necessarily, it's to do the things that later on we tend to not have time for.

That can be picnics, messy crafts, cooking, or nature walks. I know I find it hard to fit these things in nowadays, and I too wish I had relaxed a bit more in my first year or two of homeschooling, when my kids were 7 and 9.

Susie in MS I agree with you. I think those of us who do just weren't saying anything. I knew the thread was well meant and I didn't want to turn it into a debate. I purchase a lot of curriculum. My 4 yr old has been requesting school since he was 2. Like you said, the prek stuff can be gentle and sweet and a lot of fun. I've done many prek programs because we do school yr round and I'm not moving on to K stuff until he is K age. It has been fun. Around here it gets so hot that a trip to the zoo is out of the question as is playing outside in the summer. We play out side in the winter. In the summer the animals aren't even dumb enough to come out of their man made caves to be seen because of the heat. Also driving to the zoo or museum around here means that it will take all day because we have terrible traffic and road construction. We have fun with our curriculum because it has us hatching praying mantis eggs and having butterfly gardens and ant farms and frogs and venus fly trap kits. I know it is looked down on a lot of the time, but my kids love school. If we need a break from it all we take a break for a week or two and then they are raring to go again. I believe it is how it is presented and also I think a lot of times people envision a child sitting down at a table doing seat work for hrs on end and it really isn't like that. It is more direction in painting and picture book reading. If I just gave my son paints he would paint himself from head to toe. So we make specific projects. We check out lots of library books. I generally have 40 requested a week from two separate branches. He is learning a lot and is very joyful. We have studied plants for 9 weeks and when we are outside he collects leaves to find out what kinds of trees they came from and he had me dissect a flower to find the ovules. When we did find them. We were so excited that they were large enough to see! We do all subjects, but I love all subjects and so does he. I call anything we do that has educational value school because if they are having fun and learning and you say it is school it gives them the attitude that school is fun and something to be enjoyed. He hates the store bought workbooks and I don't make him do those. We have a great time.

Great suggestion.

We take several field trips with our homeschool playgroup as well as our own. I find places that are low cost. The Witte Museum offers free admission on Tuesday evenings and to include a featured exhibit is a few dollars for the whole family.

We live near Walker Ranch(a Historic Landmark Park) that features nature trails. We have found Walker Ranch Historic Landmark is a great place to explore San Antonio's archeological riches.

For hundreds of years Native Americans hunted and gathered over this open, grassy area, leaving their share of evidence. More recently, it was the site of Monte Galvan, a supply ranch for the early Mission San Antonio de Valero, later known as the Alamo.

We are always on the lookout for ideas for field trips and really enjoy living here in San Antonio because it offers so much.

Even now in the midst of having two young children, I sense that this time is fleeting and that it is important to enjoy simple time together. Time to play, to explore, to have fun, to allow a lack of structure, to be messy, etc. That's all wonderful.

Having said that, my children exude a natural curiosity to learn, which we have fostered. If they enjoy being read to, how much more will they enjoy reading to themselves? If they enjoy and have the capacity to memorize, why not give their brains some exercise with fundamental building blocks of information that they can utilize as they develop? Why not?

We certainly strive to nurture their learning academically, emotionally, and socially. Isn't homeschooling all about meeting the individual needs of your own children (and honoring God)?

What I see in these posts is perhaps that this becomes more challenging as more children come along, i.e. a group of children at very different stages of learning, moms trying to serve their many needs. Maybe a wistfulness for times when it was more fun, a bit easier, less complex. That certainly can be true for many of us looking back on earlier stages of our lives. We only get to be 3 and 5 once!

The sentiment of the original post was sincere, I am sure, but let's be careful not to villianize those who believe in and employ early academics to the delight of their children.

Warmly,

Thanks for the reminder that we parents need to remember to enjoy our journey thur life with kiddos! I have 2 boys-ages 10 and 12 1/2- and I get so sad thinking of the activities that are behind us as we shut the doors to certain age-related activities and events(for example, my youngest son just lost his final baby tooth!...no more visits from the tooth fairy! )

We need to remember that these field trips, play days, etc ARE just some of the reasons we chose to homeschool. We want school and education and learning to be fun! We all need to be reminded!

Susie,

I want to encourage you that it is possible to do field trips and activities for not much cost.

You mentioned that a trip to the zoo would cost $100. My family has an annual zoo membership for that price. I often pack lunches when we go so we don't have to waste money on the unappetizing food. We go to the zoo about 8-10 times a year so it only costs us $10 a trip.

I've found two library systems near my home that offer free story time for the youngsters. They include songs, flannel board rhymes, and a small craft. My daughters are thrilled whenever we attend.

In my area, museums have no entrance fees once a month.

Our local parks offer free days to speak with naturalists

Bakeries and grocery stores near us offer small guided tours "behind the scenes".

I have not yet researched it, but I'm sure there are free concerts in the summer.

We purposely drive a small car so that gasoline will be affordable.

I could continue, but the point is that it is possible to structure things so you can enjoy "field trips" for not much money. I love books, but at such a young age as our children (or your youngest), I don't think books can be a suitable replacement for experiencing physical life.

You described lovely outdoor activities for your daughter that sound sufficient for a toddler. You don't have to do anything more. But if you do desire to do field trips, I encourage you to pursue it further to find low cost options. They do exist.

I started to post this under one of the posts asking for input on a schedule but, not being targeted to anyone in particular, I thought it was worth posting separately. I just want to throw out a suggestion to all moms of youngers. Take the time now while you have it to explore, discover, play. Go to the museums, historical sites, factory tours, u-pick farms, play days and pumpkin patches. Enjoy these young years. Believe me, they are fleeting and before you know it, you'll be up to your eyeballs in such hairy stuff that it's difficult to take a day off. :001_smile:

Even though I still have several littles, once my oldest hit a certain age, it became very hard to justify taking off for a field trip. And I hate leaving him to buckle down to his books while we go play! So, each year, it seems we take fewer and fewer field trips. And *I* miss them!

I'm sure you are already planning lots of this, but many are eager to jump into all the great curricula they've researched, reviewed and discussed and in their hastiness, overlook the glory of these precious years.

Lisa

What a great reminder....... :001_smile:It really does come down to balance doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t it? We have such a great opportunity with our kids by home schooling them. We lead the way, and we can make it more than just book workĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ education doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t always come from a book! *ĂƒÅ“* Experiances and life are also great educators...and with us walking with them when they are young, helps pave that way when they are older.

Although my kids are older now, we still try to do something once a month, maybe twice. Plays and the science center are 2 things we love and it gets us over to the big city for an entire day! (Seattle)

Great reminder Lisa, especially this time of year...

...when my kids were, oh, 5 and under, I had the very clear impression that time was standing still. Everything seemed to go sooooooo very slowly.

Now that my youngest is about to be 5, the months seem to race by.:confused:

Thanks for your lovely post, Lisa.

Lisa

This is so true! Reading this post almost brought tears to my eyes. You can not get these years back. They grow up waaay too fast, don't they?

Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Thank you for this reminder. I have an 8 ds and 2 younger ones 4 and 2. My oldest is an advance kid so most of the time I try to keep up with him and forget I have 2 younger ones. I feel guilty yet this is only my second year of homeschooling and I am still adjusting the schedule. I really hope and pray that I can do this without neglecting one of them and give them assurance that mommy is always around to play with and have fun with. Thank you again. :001_smile:

So if my little loves books then why not enjoy them? If she loves Leap Frog we are happy she is happy. If she loves writing then we are glad she has something fun to do.. . Yes, we take her outside. She *helps* in the garden, she plays in the sand, she watches a frog pass by. But she needs more variety and books provide that. And some curriculum is made just right for the littles...not pushy, just fun.

Susie, I didn't mean to put a cost on outside activities; rather to enjoy the simple pleasures and natural playful pursuits of the younger years. I agree wholeheartedly with you about the costs of some activities . . . and the gas to get there. And, yet, from your post, it looks like you *are* enjoying the teaching as well as the fun. I just have to remind myself as my kids enter these high school years not to be so darn serious and to provide some some playful moments in our week. :001_smile:

Lisa

• 11 months later...

Thank you! This post was just in time. We only homeschool part time so I only had two hours for homeschooling today. But it was so sunny and the daffadils were beckoning so we spent the whole two hours working and playing in the garden. I know it was the right thing, the rain is sure to be back soon and first days of spring are to be enjoyed but I did feel guilty about it until I read this post.

This is absolutely great advice! :001_smile:

I have a daughter that just turned 6 and my twin boys will be 5 in a month. I'm so glad that I never sent them to preschool and have kept this time about fun & play at home with me. We have learned a lot this last year and they are all reading but it's never been stressful etc... I can't imagine how sad I would be if my DD had started K this year and been gone from 7:30-2:30 5 days/week. We have enjoyed learning together so much and taking homeschool field trips. Yesterday we all went to see a play ~ Go, Dog. Go! It's based on the book by P.D. Eastman. We just had so much fun getting out early and doing that.

Thank you for the reminder. I'm one of those that plan way too much stuff for my kids. I need to learn to back off a little, but everything looks so darn fun (and the kids enjoy it so much) that I tend to try to do *everything*. You're right...these years go by quickly, and I should be reading stories and making mud pies with them instead of teaching math and history. But they *beg* to sit down for school. Gotta try harder to find a balance, I suppose.

But they *beg* to sit down for school. Gotta try harder to find a balance, I suppose.

My daughter does this too but it is very easy to give her a suggestion to do something different. For example, my dd asked me to do school (and I do school with her a little when I do school with her brother but I really don't want her to be doing as much school as she will in K) and the exchange went like this:

DD: Can we do school?

Me: ok... but first, do you want to have a tea party with my fancy China and you can help make the tea?

DD: YESSSSSSS!!!!!! Can I pour?

Me: ok... and DS, you can do the sugar....

:)

Then: "Ok, school time, how about science? I have a new book from the library about ... "

KIDS: YESSS!

On the very rainy day yesterday, I did a little bit of school with the kids and then I asked if they wanted to play in the rain. :lol: Oh my, they loved it, they were soaking wet, but they had a blast. If I had suggested Math time, they would have done it but I feel there is plenty of time for that. I doubt they will want to play in the rain when they are older.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles