Menu

Memorable quote from a movie?

Dh and I were talking last night about people's response about homeschooling, "Oh, I can't homeschool. I don't have the patience."

I reminded him of watching the movie Evan Almighty. What Morgan Freeman (God) said was so profound (to me).

God: "Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"

I cried, when I heard that.

God gives me plenty of opportunities to be patient. I'm still learning. :001_smile:

**Do you have a memorable quote, from a movie, you want to share?

Wow -- I love that.

I have a ton of favorite quotes, they're not not quite as profound as yours (i.e. "you take delight in vexing me"; "you have no compassion for my poor nerves"; "she's tolerable, I suppose, but not handsome enough to tempt me"....etc.) :D

I'm better at remembering quotes when the moment serves to bring them to mind.

But, two I remember easily are:

John Wayne: "A man oughta do what he thinks is best" which doesn't come across well unless you know the context. He's giving a warning to a snotty, prideful curr of a man. What he's really saying is, "You're a fool, but you're free to be a fool if that's what you want. Consider yourself warned."

The other is stupid. But terribly funny to dh and I:

"The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!" usually said with motions and all. It's from Mystery Men, which I would never suggest anyone subject themselves to. :tongue_smilie: I only watched it because dh loves it. And, well, this part is funny. And we use it often.

I love memorable lines. One of my favorite from Evan Almighty was when God was showing Evan the valley "in its original design." My dh and I plan on traveling a lot in the next few years and that is my goal. I want to see America in its original design. Made me cry too.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: "Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?"

Empire Strikes Back "Laugh it up fuzzball" "Scruffy looking nerf-hearder"

Wow -- great quote.

The ones I remember are from more light-hearted films like You've Got Mail, Princess Bride, and Emma.

Love "You've Got Mail" - It reminds me of how my husband and I met. :)

You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle combined.

Princess Bride: "AS YOU WISH!" My dh's ALL time favorite movie.

Oh dear, we can talk to each other all day in quotes.

From Emma, (said with a brit accent)- I don't know, I never pay any attention to such matters.

Run away, run away!

Fetch a la vache!

It's only a flesh wound!

Silly English Kiniggets!

I fart in your general direction. - Monty Python

Well I'll only be 82.

Course it's Pete, look at him!

We thought you was a toad.

Grab the tiller, will ya?

Cows? I hate cows worse than coppers!

I've said my piece and counted to ten.- Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

Un. Be. Lievable. - Sky High

And the ever popular...."Where's the rum??"

Princess Bride:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

"Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."

"I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!"

"you miserable, vomitous mass"

"you warthog faced buffoon"

"Humperdinck! Humperdinck! Humperdinck!"

O Brother, Where Art Thou?:

"He's a suitor!"

"[that] would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down."

Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

"It's just a flesh wound."

Yeah. We use a plethora of fine, thought provoking quotes around here :001_rolleyes:.

I use this one all the time from Pride & Prejudice..

Mrs. Bennet: "I don't see that, how can that be? Why should that be? Why should I see that?!" ...something like that

we also use this from the old Pride & Prejudice movie with Greer Garson,

Lady Catherine: "they should be killed and boiled, killed and boiled.." (talking about chickens)

I think from the same movie

"I don't cough for my own amusement, Mama"...Mr. Bennett "...No, she times them ill".

I can't remember the movie; Harrison Ford and Anne Heche, their plane had wrecked on this island and he was trying to console her a little. She said something snarky. And he asks her if it would be better if he said (running around waving his hands in mock panic)

Oh sh&t we're all goign to die"

That has become one of our favorites. Especially with a drama queen in the family.

We also have a few from Python...I fart in your general direction & bring out the dead I can remember.

"That's pretty sick, Chubs." (Happy Gilmore)

"I fart in your general direction." (Monty Python)

"D'oh!" (Homer Simpson), said multiple times daily

Oh, gosh, we quote stupid movies all the time, but my brain isn't cooperating right now. There may be more later. BTW, Evan Almighty was an awesome movie. Our whole family loved it.

Great thread!

From the Disney Robin Hood: "sqeeeze every last drop from those insolent, musical peasants!" and pretty much everything else Peter Ustinov says in that movie!

From Jurrasic Park: "You were so busy thinking about whether or not you could, you didn't think about whether or not you should!"

From French Kiss: "ooooh! Gorgeous! Wish you were here!"

From Holy Grail: "I'm not dead yet!" and all the others already mentioned.

From Napoleon: "Gimme some of your tots!"

From Major Payne: "You want me to do a little somethin' to take your mind off that pain??" and "TOOT, TOOOOT!"

From P&P (actually a book quote) "For what do we live except to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn?"

From Thomas the Tank: "Cranky the Crane was quick to criticize!"

I can't remember the movie; Harrison Ford and Anne Heche, their plane had wrecked on this island and he was trying to console her a little. She said something snarky. And he asks her if it would be better if he said (running around waving his hands in mock panic)

Oh sh&t we're all goign to die"

That has become one of our favorites. Especially with a drama queen in the family.

We also have a few from Python...I fart in your general direction & bring out the dead I can remember.

It is Six Days, Seven Nights... We do that quote too!

"You are drunk, and when you are drunk, you forget that I am in charge!" - Willow

Any line from the Princess Bride and Napoleon Dynamite

"You can't handle the truth!" - A Few Good Men

"I feel the need - the need for speed." - Top Gun

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and CALL OFF CHRISTMAS!" - Robin Hood

"We thought you was a toad." Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

Here are some of my favorites:

Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? You think that's air you're breathing now? Morpheus, from The Matrix

I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here. Why, oh why didn't I take the *blue* pill? Cypher, from The Matrix

There is no spoon. The Matrix

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night! Bette Davis in All About Eve

(Where are you going?) I don't know, but I'm on my way!! Stymie, The Little Rascals - Fire Engine episode.

I'm not gonna use hers, ya sicko!! Napoleon Dynamite

Monsters are such *interesting* people! Bugs Bunny

Don't drive angry! Don't drive angry! Bill Murray, Groundhog Day

Jaws:

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

Smile you son of a *****

Star Wars movies:

The force is strong in this one.

Either do or do not. There is no try.(spoken with Yoda voice)

Airplane:

Surely, you're not serious!?! I am serious and stop calling me Shirley.

We quote all of the Monty Python ones mentioned already. Run away, run away...

Austin Powers:

my sig line

Who does number two work for?

Groovy Baby, yeah!

Terminator:

I'll be back(gotta say it like Arnold)

Die Hard:

Yippee-ki-yeah-******-******(ok, I don't say this but whenever this movie is on I immediately think of this quote)

:lurk5:

Our favorites tend to be silly.

"That'll do, Donkey. That'll do."

"Really?" "Really really."

"It wasn't no brimstone and it didn't come off no stone neither."

"You dense, irritating, miniature beast of burden!"

-Shrek (Can you tell we're big Shrek fans? ;-)

"There's no crying in baseball!"

- A League of Their Own

"More cowbell!"

-SNL (not a movie, of course)

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

-Sliding Doors, quoting Monty Python

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Princess Bride and Napoleon Dynamite get quoted a lot around our house!

One of my husband's favorite lines is from A&E Pride and Prejudice where Mr. Bennett says something along the lines of "I think it is safe to say that we have two of the most silliest girls in the county." He uses it quite often....we have three daughters:D!

Jerriann

Like others here, we often quote Monty Python.

The Incredibles also had some memorable lines.

"They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity."

"You tell me where my suit is, woman! We are talking about the greater good!

'Greater good?' I am your wife! I'm the greatest *good* you are ever gonna get!"

Diann

We quote so many movies, I can't even begin to list them all, but when you mentioned O Brother, Where Art Thou...I had to grin; a good many of them are from that movie, alone.

"Friend, some of yer foldin' money's come unstowed."

"Is you is, or is you ain't, my (it's constituency in the movie, but we fill in the blank with whatever fits the occasion)..."

"Gopher, Everett?", "Why, no, Delmar. A third of a gopher would only serve to arouse my appetite, without beddin' her back down again."

"Well, I'm with you fellers."

"I don't get it, Big Dan." (This is what Everett says, after seeing Big Dan smack Delmar down, right before he gets clocked by Big Dan, himself. We use it as sort of a snarky dig when someone doesn't get something obvious. Yes, sarcasm is our love language.)

"They got this here Depression on! I got to do fer me and mine!" (You could replace that with "Recession" now, I guess.)

I have to quit...there's too many. And I won't even get into the second most-quotable Coen brothers movie, Raising Arizona. ("One night, I decided to fix my own crawdad...", or, "When they was no crawdad, we ate sand". Or no! Wait! "You're young and you got yer health...whatchoo want with a job?!?" Hey...maybe that should be my new quote in my signature line, lol!)

We quote so many movies, I can't even begin to list them all, but when you mentioned O Brother, Where Art Thou...I had to grin; a good many of them are from that movie, alone.

That entire movie is delightfully quotable! It doesn't matter how many times I've seen it -- just happening across it on tv sends me into fits of giggles. It's just wonderful. :)

Some of my other favorites:

"No stately home?" "No stately home." -- Shooting Fish (Two adult orphans whose life's goal is to have a "stately home" of their own, when faced with an unpleasant task that if not completed will prevent their dream from coming true.)

"I saw something nasty in the woodshed." -- Cold Comfort Farm (An old woman has used this excuse her entire life for ordering around everyone around her...)

And anything from Firefly. Okay, so it was a television show, not a movie. But it was about as quotable as anything I've ever seen.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!" The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

"Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do's and don'ts. First of all you're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing." High Fidelity

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly." The Third Man

"If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?" Fight Club

"Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. What kind of hamburgers?" Pulp Fiction

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." The Usual Suspects

This one was a SNL skit as well. It was a take off of from a finanicial company commercial, done in black and white.

They were talking about your important papers and keeping them in a safe place. And we guard your papers in a safe place. I want to say it was a spoof of Dean Witter.

I still ask dh where he keeps our bills, and he teases me about them being in a safe place. It was hilarious, I'd love to find it online somewhere.

My dh works with videos all day, therefore he is ALWAYS quoting something. :glare: It seems to fit into our daily lives and I couldn't even begin to list what usually goes on around here :001_smile:

Some of our favorites are:

"We're going to need a bigger boat!" Jaws

"Inconceivable!" Princess Bride

"Hold on to your butts!" Jurassic Park

"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request" Pirates of the Caribbean (gets many a quote around here)

One of dh's favorites "Fear leads to hate, hate leads to anger, anger leads to suffereing." Yoda

One of my favorites "I'll think about that tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day." Gone with the Wind

Dd7's favorite "Why is the rum ALWAYS gone? Oh...THAT'S why!"

Oh, my, I really could go on and on....

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

+++

Raiders - the snake quote - LOVE IT.... I hate snakes!!!

"Bond, James Bond" - We LOVE BOND around here!!

Godfather - "i'll make him an offer he can't refuse"

Valk

Here are ds from his facebook:

I love the smell of napalm in the morning! -Colonel Kilgore, Apocalypse Now.

What is it about the Free World that pisses the rest of the world off?- Kevin Costner, 13 Days

What a fascinating modern age we live in.-Captain Jack Aubrey, Master and Commander

May the Force Be With You.-Star Wars

I am your father.-Darth Vader, The Empire Strikes Back

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.-Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects

How can you be in hell, when your in my heart?-Balian, Kingdom of Heaven:Director's Cut

Whats the most you ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton Chigurh, No Country for Old Men

You didn't get me down Ray.You didn't get me down.-Jake LaMotta, Raging Bull

"

Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do's and don'ts. First of all you're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing." High Fidelity

Ah, yes. I like this one.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Thats funny, we tend to quote the next line in the movie around here:

"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

also a few lines later:

"Come and see the violence inherent in the system! HELP, HELP, I'M BEING REPRESSED!"