Menu

Strong anti drug ad link what do you think?

Do you think this is a good, effective anti drug ad?  

1. 1. Do you think this is a good, effective anti drug ad?

• Yes
    • No
    • not sure
    • other

I am not for illegal drugs at all but I don't like this ad because I feel it misrepresents the truth. Heroin isn't a good drug but it is in the opiate category. That means it slows you down and kills your pain. It usually makes people non-responsive and extremely mellow. If they had done this ad and substituted this is meth, I would be okay. Meth users tend to get violent and get paranoid thinking. Heroin users fall asleep or get very sleepy.

I seriously doubt that commercials (PSAs) do much in terms of deterring drug use. I think that strong PARENTING (giving skills, values, relationships, etc) and community (again, giving skills, values, valuable relationships) are the things that make a difference.

:iagree:

I voted not sure, because I don't know if anti-drug advertising is effective. If is effective, I think this would be a good commercial. The girl in the add is a cute popular actress, so some people may listen to her. I don't think it is too shocking considering what drugs do to a person and their family.

Is there anybody left in this nation that does not know that drugs are bad for you? That drugs will destroy your body? That drugs will destroy your finances? That drugs can devestate your family? That drugs can take your life?

It seems to me people take drugs not because they are unaware of the dangers but because they simply do not care.

I do not know how advertising can make people care.

Edited by pqr

I don't think it's very effective (except for the girl who made the commercial, she was probably pretty sore). We used to laugh at the 'this is your brain on drugs' commercials as kids.

No kidding. "You, all right? I learned it from watching YOU!" Never not funny.

This commercial wasn't bad, but as you said, I doubt it's especially effective. I did laugh at the comment that said, "I'm not taking advice from a crazy lady."

I am not for illegal drugs at all but I don't like this ad because I feel it misrepresents the truth. Heroin isn't a good drug but it is in the opiate category. That means it slows you down and kills your pain. It usually makes people non-responsive and extremely mellow. If they had done this ad and substituted this is meth, I would be okay. Meth users tend to get violent and get paranoid thinking. Heroin users fall asleep or get very sleepy.

I'd like it better if she has said crack or meth...one of the drugs that makes you rage.

Hawaii has a huge meth problem. They have a lot of meth commercials that I think are pretty effective. It's true that part of the problem is people not caring. However, I think *some* young people genuinely believe they can do meth as a recreational drug and the commercials might help those people.

Is there anybody left in this nation that does not know that drugs are bad for you? That drugs will destroy your body? That drugs will destroy your finances? That drugs can devestate your family? That drugs can take your life?

It seems to me people take drugs not because they are unaware of the dangers but because they simply do not care.

That ad has actually been around for a while. I remember kind of appreciating the friends and family aspect that was never mentioned in earlier versions. Still, I'm part of the failed D.A.R.E generation, and I don't find any of those campaigns to carry much weight.

What I *DO* find more persuasive (dissuasive?) are shows like Celebrity Rehab and Intervention. Right now, they're too mature for my kids, but I would like them to watch with me when they're older. Dh and I mourn for the destroyed lives of our favorites.

No kidding. "You, all right? I learned it from watching YOU!" Never not funny.

This commercial wasn't bad, but as you said, I doubt it's especially effective. I did laugh at the comment that said, "I'm not taking advice from a crazy lady."

Yeah, we used to sling that one around like crazy. Oh, the commercial with the Mom in the kitchen and the phone's wringing and the baby's crying and the water's boiling over on the stove....... whenever stuff started getting hectic at the house (you know how life is) that commercial would pop up and at least one of us would yell that Mom needed a time out.

Now that I think about it, those commercials just taught us new methods of being annoying kids. Was an egg ever broken after that without some smart smouth saying, "That's your brain on drugs!"

ETA, Pamela's post reminded me of this one (it STILL pops up)... It's 9 pm do you know where your kids are?

Edited by lionfamily1999

The only PSAs that might be effective are those which tell you to DO something (rather than not). For example, "talk to your kids; it may save their lives" might be if people actually think, "oh, you know, we haven't talked about that recently.

In our home, I jokingly mute the tv, give a glib sentence regarding what the PSA was telling you to talk to your kids about, and then go on. But for us, it's a joke because of course we've discussed smoking, drugs, alcohol, sex, or reading to your kids.

But maybe people don't think about mentioning it to their 10yr old or can't seem to find time to talk to their teenager since they are so tied up with their lives and their kid spends so much time on the phone in their rooms. Maybe the PSA reminds them to parent.

I don't think the issue for teens is not caring. They really think that a cigarette on the way home from school, drinking at a party, trying whatever drug isn't really going to hurt them, at least not a few times. And if it helps them keep their friends, not be teased mercilessly, etc? But seriously, if you see people getting away with things constantly, you really feel it's not gonna happen to you. I knew of lots of people having sex who weren't getting pregnant. Why would I think I would? Certain people I know have driven while drinking for years and years. Why would they believe the wreck would happen to them? It isn't that they don't care about their famillies or themselves or even that they think they're invincible. They just don't believe it will happen to them.

What my kids have learned is that their last name is H****. It most certainly *will* happen to them so they better be prepared. But we try to go much deeper than that. There are real consequences to teenage sex other than a pregnancy, for example. You can't undo trying a drug. There are better reasons to refrain from certain things.

I don't think it's very effective (except for the girl who made the commercial, she was probably pretty sore). We used to laugh at the 'this is your brain on drugs' commercials as kids.

That old ad always made me think... Questions like: Is my brain free-range? Will my brain be tastier if I do drugs than if I don't do drugs? Do drugs really taste like butter? Are there any drugs I can do that will add bacon to this metaphor?

That old ad always made me think... Questions like: Is my brain free-range? Will my brain be tastier if I do drugs than if I don't do drugs? Do drugs really taste like butter? Are there any drugs I can do that will add bacon to this metaphor?

Or, on some mornings... man, I could really go for a druggie brain right now. :lurk5:

I don't watch TV, nor keep up with the anti-drug info being doled out at p.s., but I was wondering if anyone had ever considered approaching kids with the idea of how terrible their drug-use is for countries such as Columbia or Mexico. Many teens have humanitarian feelings that are more acute than their sense of mortality.

I recall an interview with Helen Mirren when she said she loved a line of cocaine now and then, but stopped it cold when she found out what it did to the source countries.

Anyone heard the This American Life episode where the dad bugged his son's calls so he could hear what a nasty, selfish pig he was when he was drug-hungry? The kid, who was now a bit older and quite articulate, wasn't afraid of destroying brain cells, but he didn't want to be a jerk.

Just a thought. The "this is your brain on drugs" ads just caused riotous laughter when I was growing up. It just made it seem more desirable....as in the line "I was really fried last night".

What a bane on humankind. I feel very lucky to be so deeply wedded to cold, stark reality.

What I *DO* find more persuasive (dissuasive?) are shows like Celebrity Rehab and Intervention. Right now, they're too mature for my kids, but I would like them to watch with me when they're older. Dh and I mourn for the destroyed lives of our favorites.

Intervention is pretty powerful - not glamorous at all. I also thought the old Behind the Music was quite good in that regard.

I know drugs are bad.

My friends know drugs are bad.

The kids at my old school know drugs are bad.

Most people who uses/used/are going to use drugs, know that drugs are bad.

They still do them though.

I am not against anti-drug ads, but I don't think they're as effective as people like to think.

I know it's been around a while, so I wonder if it wasn't before Meth was as big of a deal as it is now. It seemed to quickly take over as the ruin-your-life drug of choice. At least, that how it seemed to me, but I'm way out of the drug loop.

My hope is that it might make someone pause and realize it isn't just about a moment of satisfaction, but that it's a decision that has an effect on everyone around them.

What I really appreciate is finally realizing where I've seen Shawn's girlfriend (from Psych) before! Drug commercials!

I think trying to scare young people into doing anything by telling them they will hurt themselves is howling at the wind. Teenagers often think a) they are immortal and b) it won't happen to them.

The Oooh ScaryScary approach had been shown not to work well.

In part because it's not really so true. All those things may very well happen to teenagers who get addicted to heroin...way down the road. But those who try it and find that the sky does not in fact open up and they aren't cracked like an egg in a pan pretty quickly realize it was hyperbole meant to manipulate them.

There is also a James Dean kind of glamorous attraction to masochism and self-destruction that actually lures in some teen personality types.

So I'm a 'no'.

I don't think these kinds of commercials are effective especially for some people with mental health problems. If you removed the audio and then ran the commercial backwards you could use it as a commercial encouranging bi-polar people to take their meds. That is what my brain is like when I am NOT medicated. Many people with mental health issues use drugs to self medicate and they can clearly see that those kinds of commercials are completely counter to their experiences.

I was happy to see that they had changed the wording from the generic (drugs) to a specific (heroin) but I agree that it would have made much more sense if they had used crack or meth instead.

I've seen the first part of it on TV (smashing the egg with the pan) but had never seen the rest. Honestly, I don't feel these commercials are very effective. If they were, we would need fewer and fewer of these PSA's. Kids/adults watch them and still they choose drugs.

I actually hope I'm wrong, and they're making a difference.

I'd never seen this ad before and don't watch much TV, so I was quite surprised at how it was done. I agree that herion was a poor choice for this ad. It may or may not be effective, but it did have shock value for me.

The most effective thing I ever heard was an older teen (well, he was 18-21) tell us how bad acid was (that was quite big in the 1970s), what it had done to him, etc. This was not at school or on TV; he was hanging out with my friend's boyfriend's friends who were smoking pot at the time.

I think that there will always be people who think they are more clever than everyone else. That they can use drugs, drink and drive, cheat on their spouses, gamble addictively, etc and then be able to control/dodge the consequences. You probably went to college with some very smart folks, as did I. Are you saying that no one from your class got caught drinking and driving, or using drugs? I had a guy in my dorm who was in trouble for drinking and driving, even though his brother had died a couple years earlier in a drunk driving accident.

I had four classmates in a car accident after graduation and the only one who walked away from it was the only one who was seat belted in. But they were certainly all smart enough and informed enough to know better.

I think that the ad is a riff on the old break an egg add. But I don't know that it does anything to convince anyone that they aren't really going to be able to handle the addiction or the consequences of their under the influence decisions and behaviors. On the other hand, it is probably targeting younger kids rather than the jaded and cynical.

I personally favor ads like this one for drunk driving, which was shown in our mandatory driving in Japan class. When it was done the whole room was silent. My kids were in the class with me and I don't at all regret their seeing it. (Though I strongly recommend previewing it without kids in the room. It pulls few punches.)

My fil is a fire chief. His city has had three teen (underage) drunk driving accidents since May. One entrapment and another fatality. In at least one case (and probably all of them) the alcohol was provided by parents of the teens driving or was provided by other parents at teen parties. I don't know who has to be killed before the city will finally file charges against the adults.

My dh teaches school with kids who do drugs and deal drugs. They've all been in public school their whole lives and been through many DARE programs and such. It didn't stop any of them.

He thinks the biggest factors are who the parents let the kids hang around as well as the morals the kids have been taught and choose to adopt as their own. I say it that way because many are taught but go their own way.

Everyone knows drugs are bad for you. They don't need another commercial to tell them that.

I read an article once (don't know how true it was) that quoted an aerosol product manufacturer who said they changed their warnings on their cans to say that not only can inhalation cause death, but that it caused baldness, turned skin grey, made teeth fall out, etc. and that since doing so, their product had not been involved with near as many "huffing" incidents.

It seems doubtful to me that many huffers read warning labels before inhaling, but it still brought up a good point to consider: hearing that something might kill them isn't near as big of a deterrent as hearing that something might make them unattractive.

I read an article once (don't know how true it was) that quoted an aerosol product manufacturer who said they changed their warnings on their cans to say that not only can inhalation cause death, but that it caused baldness, turned skin grey, made teeth fall out, etc. and that since doing so, their product had not been involved with near as many "huffing" incidents.

It seems doubtful to me that many huffers read warning labels before inhaling, but it still brought up a good point to consider: hearing that something might kill them isn't near as big of a deterrent as hearing that something might make them unattractive.

I agree. If they showed those you tube meth videos of the before and after faces and rotten teeth, youth might pay more attention. I find that most youth are more vain then they are afraid of death or jail time, sadly.

I seriously doubt that commercials (PSAs) do much in terms of deterring drug use. I think that strong PARENTING (giving skills, values, relationships, etc) and community (again, giving skills, values, valuable relationships) are the things that make a difference.

I think it can mitigate the biological component. But it's not determining or preventative.

Katie Allison Granju is working through her thoughts on this one, for tragic reasons.

http://mamapundit.com/2010/10/baby-temperament-nurture-vs-nature/

Ten years ago, I was asked to write an essay for an online magazine rebutting the central thesis of that seasonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hot new book. called Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Nurture Assumption.Ă¢â‚¬ The book argued that parents have essentially NO influence on how their children eventually turn out. I argued against that position, making the case that how we parent our children matters a great deal in how they grow and develop over time. I still hold that position, even though since I wrote the essay, I have learned in the most painful, personal way imaginable, that no matter how hard we try as parents, sometimes our best efforts arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t enough to overcome biology and other, non-parental external influences on our children. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a fascinating and somewhat unpredictable dance in human development Ă¢â‚¬â€œ this ongoing nature vs. nurture interplay that shapes and molds our children as they grow.

I *strongly* agree that parenting (nurture) can be limited by a number of factors. I also agree that nature can have a significant role. What I believe has the MOST influence is CHOICE which becomes individual despite nurture or nature. I know you and I, Joanne, strongly part here, especially in relation to addiction issues, but....

I can give my children love, support, encouragement, information, an education, values, thinking abilities, life skills, discipline, etc.....And yes, they are considerably more vulnerable to certain addictions and other issues due to genetics....but each of them is responsible for who they choose to be and what they choose to do.

However, as much as I believe all this, I still do beat myself up for things I think are "wrong" with them. And I will most certainly beat myself up for lacking doing something as a parent to prevent the things familly members have had go on in life. Of course, I'd tell any other parent (and *did* tell my own mother in regards to one of my siblings) that they did the best they could and that each adult person (and usually teens too) makes their own choices regardless of their upbringing. I can't let myself off the hook as easily.

Anyway, so nature, nurture and free will. It's quite a stew.

It's a stew that I seriously doubt a 60 second commercial is going to influence much, if at all.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Most teens aren't afraid of death yet (that immortality phase).

He thinks the biggest factors are who the parents let the kids hang around as well as the morals the kids have been taught and choose to adopt as their own. I say it that way because many are taught but go their own way.

Everyone knows drugs are bad for you. They don't need another commercial to tell them that.

Yes and no. First, parents cannot control who their dc hang around with while at school, and some kids do drugs right at school. Secondly, sometimes it's a group of "good" kids with good reputations & good families that are getting in trouble. I can't remember her name now, but I remember reading an article about an ex-teenage & college drinker who wrote a book. She was a straight A student and a cheerleader who would get totally drunk (so drunk he couldn't remember what she did) regularly with her friends, who also maintained good grades and good reputations with adults, etc. What woke this woman up to her drinking problem was waking up in a stranger's apartment in NYC after going out drinking one night. Thankfully it wasn't someone who raped/beat/killed/kidnapped (or any other horrible thing) her.

Also, sometimes a good group of friends starts experimenting with drugs or alcohol at the same time, so the parents don't know. In addition, not ever kid who hangs out with kids who smoke pot, etc, end up doing it themselves.

Teen life isn't that simple, either. Not all kids have their choice of friends in high school due to cliques, reputations (whether deserved or not), personalities, etc. That said, of course parents need to monitor who their

kids are hanging out with after school as best they can. Teens need structured parenting that is neither authoritarian nor too liberal (a great read in this area is Why Do they Act That Way? http://www.amazon.com/WHY-They-Act-That-Way/dp/0743260775/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287084375&sr=1-1

While education is never going to stop all teens from doing foolish and dangerous things, it does stop many of them. I think the just say no ads are weak, but I found the ad I posted strong because this is what happened to my family when my aunt was an alcoholic (she finally dried up after about 30 years). She isn't the woman she could have been. I suspect my reaction was one of a middle aged woman in hindsight, and strong doesn't mean effective.

Fear that resultd from drug education was the only reason that I didn't try anything other than pot (which I didn't like so I never became a pothead, which is what we used to call it) and alchohol (I hated that, too.) I was afraid of having a bad trip, of dying from an overdose. Sure, I was foolish and did some very stupid things, but have never done a hard drug, sniffed a dangerous chemical (but I was afraid of brain damage.) I admit it--I was a wimp in many areas. My sister avoided all of the hard stuff, too, and at least one of my brothers did. I have no idea what my "baby" brother did, but he got in the most trouble in some areas. I was long gone & don't know all of the details, but they sent him to boarding school to stop it, not knowing that that made it even easier. We were all well educated in this area.

I think it can mitigate the biological component. But it's not determining or preventative.

Katie Allison Granju is working through her thoughts on this one, for tragic reasons.

http://mamapundit.com/2010/10/baby-temperament-nurture-vs-nature/

Oh my gosh, I had no idea this had happened. I've been out of the AP loop for so long. I was on an AP list with her forever and was interviewed for her first book. That is completely heartbreaking.

I personally favor ads like this one for drunk driving, which was shown in our mandatory driving in Japan class. When it was done the whole room was silent. My kids were in the class with me and I don't at all regret their seeing it. (Though I strongly recommend previewing it without kids in the room. It pulls few punches.)

Wow.

Secondly, sometimes it's a group of "good" kids with good reputations & good families that are getting in trouble.

I personally did a LOT of my teen/high school drinking when I was on trips associated with my church's bell choir.

In college, I drank and drugged every day while earning 2 full BA degrees, working off campus as well as on campus and keeping an "A" average.

You can't see "addict" or "alcoholic" easily all the time.

Wow.

:iagree: My kids own the CD that this is on. I have heard the song many times. I don't know that I will be able to listen to it quite the same way ever again. It hits close to home as we have lost family and friends to drunk drivers. I have seen other videos against drunk driving that are equally effective but I think that is because they show the real, tangible consequences of actions not a metaphorical, made-up commercial with a tag line like, "Got Milk?" KWIM?

I can't see how telling kids not to take these drugs over here, but these ones over here are fine (even though they kill thousands of people each year)...is going to be affective. (literally thousands of people die of prescription drug overdoses each year, as well as wrong doseages and being given wrong prescriptions, as well as wrong medications in hospitals. )

We live in a society where people self medicate to kill their pain ALL.THE.TIME. Whether its taking aspirin, alcohol, sugar and carbs, ADHD drugs, serious pain medication, .....or watching TV, shopping or addictive exercising. It's all about trying to change the state you are in for a better one- or, to feel numb because life is too intense...and we in the West are completely addicted to it. We can't be comfortable in our own skin for 5 minutes. (I am not saying there is not a place for these things but the addiction pattern is there in our culture all the way through).

So...its not wonder we have a drug problem with our youth, and many older people too. If you drink alcohol in front of your kids, particularly if you do it regularly and sometimes become a bit tipsy or drunk...which is perfectly normal and acceptable in our society....how are they going to take it when you tell them that smoking dope is terrible for you- especially when they see their friend having fun on it and not having any obvious problems? And if they cant trust you on that one, (especially if you smoke cigarettes, and/or are addicted to shopping and sugar) how are they going to trust you that herione and meth are far, far FAR worse than smoking dope?

The issue is far too deep for an advertisement to touch. I kinda like the ad though :) And I do think education is important, and the ad does give a graphic image suitable for younger kids to get fear put into them. Its true though- the ad woudl have been better for an amphetamine based drug rather than heroine which doesn't tend to make people violent.

I think we are heading in the wrong direction with the whole drugs issue. I dont think making certain drugs illegal while legitamising others that are equally lethal, is the answer.

I personally did a LOT of my teen/high school drinking when I was on trips associated with my church's bell choir.

In college, I drank and drugged every day while earning 2 full BA degrees, working off campus as well as on campus and keeping an "A" average.

You can't see "addict" or "alcoholic" easily all the time.

:iagree: with your last statement. I have known people who functioned the way you did. In fact, a friend of mine's older brother did this (but with B averages). In that case, it was generational; he'd grown up with two obviously acholic parents.

:iagree: Many Rocky Mountain states have a pretty bad meth problem and has been putting up billboards like these for a few years:

http://www.wyomingmethproject.org/ads/run/print_Lipstick.jpg

http://www.wyomingmethproject.org/ads/run/print_HookUp.jpg

http://www.wyomingmethproject.org/ads/run/print_Mother.jpg

http://billingsgazette.com/news/image_721c1f4c-691c-11de-8c72-001cc4c002e0.html

Now, I think THOSE are powerful.

:iagree: Many Rocky Mountain states have a pretty bad meth problem and has been putting up billboards like these for a few years:

http://www.wyomingmethproject.org/ads/run/print_Lipstick.jpg

http://www.wyomingmethproject.org/ads/run/print_HookUp.jpg

http://www.wyomingmethproject.org/ads/run/print_Mother.jpg

http://billingsgazette.com/news/image_721c1f4c-691c-11de-8c72-001cc4c002e0.html

Now, I think THOSE are powerful.

Yes, they are. Have they helped reduce the number of new users?