Menu

What did you "do" before you hs or had kids?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worked in TV Production for a very large Chicago ad agency. Decided that that was nice for my 20's, but that I didn't want to sell deoderant for the rest of my life (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Got my teaching degree at night and over weekends.

Got to student teach at the school where DH teaches (before we were married, but we were already dating). People thought that he got me the gig, but he didn't. Just lucky.

Spent about a year and a half as a sub at the same school. It's a huge place, so they always needed a group of subs to come in every day. Got to cover several maternity leaves, including DH's! (he stayed home for four months with DD1 while I went in to cover his classes)

I decided to stay home before ever getting my first full-time, full-year teaching gig. Little did I know that we'd decide to homeschool -- talk about a full-time, full-year teaching gig!

:001_smile:

I worked over a period of eight years in publishing, for three different publishing houses. I did freelance work for two of them, and worked full time for two of them. The work I really loved most was editing, although I also did proofreading and other editorial duties, and for a time I was the editorial administrative manager (kind of a combination of managing the admin staff and processes with editing as well).

I really loved the work, and tried to continue freelancing after dd was born. I was losing too much sleep trying to keep up. My original decision was to stop until dd was in school, and then I could start up the business again. However, now I don't know that I will ever go back to it, much as I enjoyed the work. Over the years I have instead taught inductive Bible study seminars and have also enjoyed creating/managing/directing children's church programs--right now my dream is to have more time to teach those seminars.

Whenever I re-read a post of mine and find poor syntax or errors I cringe and hope that no-one notices, or that the folks who know I used to be an editor will not form a negative opinion of my skills. :tongue_smilie:

and then worked in sales in the plastics industry. Had a great life prior to kids! Traveled all over Latin America in the Coast Guard, loved being in sales with an expense account. Then at age 33, having been married for 9 years, I had a bit of angst about having a child and we decided to try to get pregnant. I had already planned to hire a nanny and get back to work immediately! But it wasn't to be . . . Now, six kids later (three by birth, three by adoption from Ukraine and Ethiopia) I can say that I've been home with them for 11 years and homeschooled since my oldest reached K. What a total change!

jeri

Uh, I was in high school. I guess I worked as a housekeeper, a hotel maid, a telemarketer, and at Wendy's for about a year between high school and getting married and having kids. I wouldn't call any of those a career or anything important in my life. I certainly don't look back on the things I did in that year with fondness or feel it's a part of who I am. Would you like fries with that?:lol:

I made beer for Anheuser Busch.

Hey, dh used to do that, too.

I worked in a university library. I was in charge of Interlibrary Loan, and worked the reference desk part time. I wasn't a librarian, though. My sister and brother both have their MLS, so I dare not claim the title.

I worked as an accountant/controller and taught college algebra and accounting. Then I went to law school and afterwards worked as an attorney. Then I got pregnant with the boys and my life completely changed.

I wish I had become an R.N. or M.D. instead so I could work part-time on the weekends. That would have been a better preparation for my life now, IMO, and a lot more interesting than accounting and law, which I never really liked anyway.

I installed microcomputers and trained people how to use them using materials I wrote and produced inhouse ... at both a large financial institution and later at a large univeristy. After DD was born, but still too young for school I consulted in the same field and had a business named "Star dot Star Micomputer Consultants" - ha ... that "DOS" moniker really dates me, huh? :lol:

Some of you are too young to remember "DOS.":tongue_smilie:

Insurance Brokerage Representative (well, started at age 17 as a receptionist / insurance assistant... worked up to representative over the years. Worked there a total of 8.5 years... a lifetime to a young gal.)

1st Grade Teacher - Only for one school year (got married and along came ds#1. I've stayed at home, poppin' out boys since then!)

Now I am just "technology-challenged mommy" who has her kids program cell phones and help figure out computer stuff, like how to add things to my "favorites" feature. errrrrrrr my kids can't believe I had real jobs and graduated college summa cum laude! :lol::willy_nilly:

Some of you are too young to remember "DOS."

I'm almost 36, and I remember DOS. I remember doing everything in DOS. I remember when the first Word Perfect came out and it wouldn't even fit on my computer!

I ran a bulletin board on my college campus before any of us had ever heard of "internet."

And -- I don't feel old. :lol: (well, sometimes I do)

Some of you are too young to remember "DOS."

I'm almost 36, and I remember DOS. I remember doing everything in DOS. I remember when the first Word Perfect came out and it wouldn't even fit on my computer!

I ran a bulletin board on my college campus before any of us had ever heard of "internet."

And -- I don't feel old. :lol: (well, sometimes I do)

:lol: I don't feel old either, but sometimes I wonder. My final for my sophomore computer class was to program and print out a Christmas Tree.

My first job? I was the Word Perfect expert!

Off to spread some wrinkle cream head-to-toe. :lol:

Before marrying, I worked as a copy editor, reporter and bureau chief for a newspaper. My dh was a widower with a young son. When we married, dh and I took vows as husband and wife, ds and I took vows as mother and son and I adopted him shortly after we all tied the knot! :)

All that to say we decided it would be best for our new family if I came home. After only a year of marriage ds #2 came along. For a few years I had a part-time PR business from home working with non-profits, but than God called dh to seminary in another state. We picked up stakes and spent the first two years of seminary living in and running a bed and breakfast, starting to homeschool, and adding a dd to the mix.

In that time the Lord really blessed the B&B and it became busier and busier. Though I loved the job and all the interesting people we met, at the end of two years of juggling family, homeschool and a steady stream of guests, I was needing some down time. We moved to an apartment for the remaining two years of seminary and I became a full-time SAHM. Since then our family has grown to include eight dc and, like most of you, I have found my current occupation to be the most challenging and fulfilling job I've ever had!

In my 20s, after college, I was a church secretary for eight years and loved it! Then, at 29, I decided to go get my teacher's credential so I could have a career that would support me if I never got married. Getting married didn't look like it was going to happen and a church secretary's salary just wasn't enough to get me out of my parent's house. Then, I was a substitute at public schools for elementary, junior, and senior high. Eventually, got a full-time 7th grade teacher position at a private Christian School. Only worked 4 months because I met my handsome husband and got married. Then we got pregnant 2 months later! I became a stay-at-home-mom ever since and love it!

Following college and our marriage dh and I worked at a nonprofit clinic that was open for business 24/7 for 2 years. If it lives on the Cape we have either fixed it, raised it or sadly, euthanized it. When that was over I was encouraged (coerced) into forming another nonprofit and ran a hotline for wildlife nuisance issues.

I still don't like hearing the phone ring.

After the clinic, Dh worked for years after the clinic for the Raccoon Rabies Project which was the only working barrier in the world until Massachusetts cleverly decided to cut the budget. We were all done with the wildlife gig when our youngest was 2.

I graduated w/ a BA in Psych, too, so obviously I worked as a....secretary! :lol: After college, I had 2 jobs doing sec. work through a temp agency. I took a few grad. classes in Guidance Counseling. Once dh graduated a year after me and we married the very next month...well...having children became my "career". :D Got pregnant on our honeymoon, miscarried, but soon conceived again..dd#1. The rest they say is history. I did have a small stint as a legal sec. when money got tight...while I was pregnant with #3. Didn't last long! My parents always told me I went to college to get my MRS and have kids! They sure did pay a hefty price for a SIL and grandchildren. :lol:

I worked as a receptionist and a legal secretary for a couple of years before having my first child and deciding to stay home because of lack of adequate day care in our town.

Before that I was a mailroom clerk sorting mail for Unisys the people who process medical claims for the Military--hated that job but at least I got to set my own schedule and worked 12 to 9.

I've also worked at the local visitor's center, owned a CD-Rom store and traveled from computer show to show selling CD-Roms and I worked as a cashier at K-Mart.

By far, my favorite job of all has been being a wife, mother and teacher for my family.:001_smile:

:lol:

Awww...man! Someone else say they believed the CIA bit too! (Actually, it's more accurate to say I was willing to believe it and was asking to be sure, but the way she wrote it -- a statement with a period and no smilies -- made it look true! :-D )

Also, yep, I remember DOS and was also a WordPerfect expert. :)

I worked as Respiratory Therapist with a special interest in PEds and NICU (preemies). Later, I worked as a supervisor to other therapists and travelled around to skilled nursing facilities and visited home health patients along the way. I found working with SNF and home health had better hours when one had kiddos!

I just had some time to read through all of these and have totally enjoyed reading about all of your lives "before" (well, and current as well!). And WOW...what a range! I,too, LOL'd about the Ronald McDonald incident...that's funny! And I, too, am disappointed that Aubrey is NOT CIA...that would have been really, really cool!

Uh, I was in high school. I guess I worked as a housekeeper, a hotel maid, a telemarketer, and at Wendy's for about a year between high school and getting married and having kids. I wouldn't call any of those a career or anything important in my life. I certainly don't look back on the things I did in that year with fondness or feel it's a part of who I am. Would you like fries with that?:lol:

I was starting to feel like the minority!