Menu

What did you "do" before you hs or had kids?

Another thread I was reading made me curious about those of us who hs full-time, what we "did" before we started hs or before we had kids...

I have a Master's degree in counseling and was the director of an adoption agency but I FORGET that that was a part of my life unless it comes up somehow. I did a workshop on grief awhile back and afterward, someone I knew came up to me and said "I had no idea you had all this professional background. I would never have guessed from looking at you." WHAT DOES THAT MEAN???!!!

Anyhow, I'm curious about the rest of you.

(This is way better than that, BTW!)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I owned a graphic design firm before dd came along. When I came home to take care of dd, I did freelance work (graphics), taught art classes in the community and did some substitute teaching in ps for a while.

Right now I teach art part-time, homeschool dd and I'm serving as an arts pastor (part-time) at our church. This is the best season of all and I love what I'm doing.

:thumbup:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Before homeschooling I worked full-time in pharmacy as a technician and planned to go back to school when the kids went to school.

I now work part time in pharmacy and spend most of my time devoted to their education instead of mine. Oh, well I probably enjoy what we are learning together more that what I would have learned myself anyways!

Paid for work background before kids:

Restaurant management - I've done sit down, sit down bar/steak house/dance floor, fast food.

Office Manager - I was an office manager for a company that underwrote loans using the Small Business Administration. (Of all my jobs, that was my favorite)

Management Consultant (promoted through from Personal Administrative Assistant) - worked here in Houston for a private consulting company that specialized in helping small to mid-sized, privately owned companies get better. I started as AA to the Pres/Owner. Quit as a Consultant during medical issues with my first pregnancy. (That would have been January 1995).

I have 2 college degrees.

I will be returning to school to aquire my Masters of Social Work. I hope to be able to help single moms, families and women emerging from an abusive dynamic. I have personal experience in addiction recovery (many years now) but don't want to do that professionally.

I got my Bachelors in May of 97 & worked as a supervisor for the local university. It was what I always wanted to do, but dd was born in the Spring of 98 and although they wanted me to come and work, dh wanted me home full time, so that's what we did. I always thought I would have kids and work. Now I don't really do anything for pay, but do help dh in August during the busiest time of the year and we make double what he makes in a month in about two weeks. It helps us get through the winter if things slow down (he's a painter and we paint apartments near the university, our kids help by watching videos on the laptop and finding left behind "treasures") Some years we don't make out too bad with free stuff.

Anyway, I'd work part time if he wanted me to, but whenever I bring it up, he says no. The kids and I are going to clean after our co-op in the fall and spring and make about $50.00 a month (total of $400) between the fall & spring. It will give them some spending money, we don't really have a lot of extra $$ and so anything that they want, they use birthday money for. They're pretty excited about it.

Kristine

Well, I'm still a United Methodist minister, so that's the same... but before I had kids (and homeschooled!) I read a lot more, slept a lot more, spent a lot more time going out to the movies and dinner with dh and friends. Wow! We never realized how much free time we had on our hands!

I was a technical designer in the apparel industry. I worked most recently for Victoria's Secret Stores.

My life could not be more different now than those days when I was going overseas 2-3 times a year and heading to work in new york 2-3 times a month. Ha!

Well, I have a whole 'nother life in retail, in which I grew up. Because I worked from the time I was 11 in my family's businesses, I was able to work in management from the time I was in my twenties and ended up doing training in connection with a federal program for a while.

Regarding my actual education, I have a degree in physical anthropology, which involved a lot of biology, anatomy, forensics type work, etc. I also have paralegal certification. I worked for a short time as a paralegal in a law office to decide if I wanted to go to law school and learned that I loved working with medical malpractice. Because of my background, I was given an opportunity to work with Louisiana's medical malpractice fund, handling multi-million dollar malpractice cases through trial or settlement.

When my oldest son was small, I wanted to go to part-time work. The Fund still hired me back on a contract basis as often as they could, so I was doing the same work, but on a part-time basis. I also did freelance paralegal work and got to explore one very interesting, potentially huge class action (that never went anywhere, unfortunately - not all wrongs get righted).

This is way better than anything I've ever done,

I worked as art director and customer service representative for specialized (label) printing companies for many years. I was blessed with opportunities to self-educate on the job, learning not only old-school paste-up, typography, and photography (pans! of chemicals! :eek:) but computer graphics as well.

All these skills have served me well post-employment. After I left the workforce, I did some freelance work, but now I just do stuff occasionally for fun. :)

Working at the Art Institute* and trying to research a dissertation. Then had twins - one has autism/LKSV, and NU, for my department, had a five-year limit post-classes to turn in a dissertation. I could not meet that deadline ;-)

*not doing anything exciting - I was in Personnel!!!! I gave typing tests, answered phones, and was a security post between Prints and Drawing section and the back area. I got to sign in visitors - once Ronald McDonald came and REFUSED to sign in and get a badge. OK - stupid rule - but I was the one who WOULD have gotten in trouble!* He finally signed "Ronald" and I tagged him.

*Another stupid rule - I was asked to stay late one day and do the paperwork for a batch of newly hired security guards starting night shift training. While I was zeroxing Social Security cards for the I-9 forms, Security came and wrote me up for being there after 5pm w/o advance clearance from Security!!!! Grrrr!!!

I have a Master's degree in Education, but only taught for 1 year before leaving and finding work in computer software training and development for 11 years.

It was a great life! I traveled all over the country to wonderful large cities and small quaint towns and even had a client in St. John Island in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

From the time my first child was born, I've been a stay-at-home mom, then a homeschooling mom. I have always loved being home with my kids, but I look at myself now and I miss the "ME" that I used to be---in shape, well-dressed, current in business trends and political news, articulate and interesting, etc. I wish my kids could see me the way I used to be and not just frumpy mom!

Well, before I got married I worked full time at an electrical testing company, but once I was married, I immediately had a child (an 8 year old step-son). I began homeschooling his next school year -- the same year I gave birth to my first biological son.

I have a Master's degree in counseling and was the director of an adoption agency but I FORGET that that was a part of my life unless it comes up somehow.

Me, too! Me, too! I'm an LCSW and ran an adoption agency bf kiddos. Loved it! Ended up adopting and hsing four kiddos with sp. needs, so now I "work" at home in more ways than one!

I have a degree in Elem. Ed. I worked in a pediatrician's office for 2 years, I worked as a receptionist for the loan dept of a local bank, then I worked as a dispatcher for a computer repair company, THEN I went into substitute teaching, did that for about 4 years. I had a couple of rather bad months in a local Junior High, so DH told me to quit & I became a homemaker. I did alot more sleeping, reading & shopping than I do now. THEN about 3 years after that, I became a mommy.

I was a pre-school teacher while going to college and also floundered around in various jobs that never felt quite right. I got married a week before my 20th birthday. 9 months later, I was in a car accident that needed several months of recovery. At the ER we found out I was pg with #1. After recovery I tried to work at a preschool that I'd worked at previously but quickly remembered I hated my boss. I came home crying everyday (pg hormones) to which dh said, "Honey, you don't HAVE to work." So that was the end of my outside paid working experience.

At this time our plan is for me to finally do what I always dreamed of doing but to which my mom urged me not to do. Become a nurse. When the kids are old enough to do more independent work, I will re-start my college education. We'll have at least 20 years of working after the kids are gone so if I'm going to have the time, I want it to be spent doing something I feel called to do.

I found products, wrote copy, edited, laid out the pages, set up photo shoots and sometimes was in the photos, made sure purchasing department had all the info they needed to buy new products, updated the company database with all new info and made sure our customer service reps had all product info.

The catalog I worked for wasn't fun products (health products for elderly or chronically ill people being cared for at home) but I still really enjoyed my job. And I still love catalogs!

Michelle T

I was a grad student.

I took a semester off to have Primo, then went back for my final semester when Primo was 2 months old. Since dh worked during the day and my classes were in the evenings, I would take her on the Metro with me and pass her over the turns-dial to dh on my way to class. Those were great times.

I was a banker. I worked in Corporate Finance which really meant work-outs for corporate clients in default. I enjoyed my job a lot, but when the boys were diagnosed with autism and we had to move, it just wasn't possible for both dh and I to work. Our first 2 years in Houston were spent driving the boys to therapy and taking dd to mommy and me classes. Then we started hsing ds and the rest is history (and science, math, reading, phonics, handwriting....)

After kids I taught/tutored homeschooling students--but there was NO WAY 'my' children would be homeschooled! :lol:

Once my 2 dd's were both in PS I had quite the homeschool teacher thing going. I taught in coops and held math classes out of my home. I LOVED my homeschool students...but my own were in PS...

Once I brought my 2 home I continued to teach other homeschoolers--but I had to cut back--I also added another dd to the mix!

I'm still not quite sure what I want to be when my dd's and I grow up.

I have a BS in psychology :tongue_smilie:. When I got out of college, I went to work in a wilderness program with "at-risk" youth. There, I met my husband-to-be. After we got married, we continued working in the field and worked at group homes with "at-risk" youth in direct care, then administrative positions, then back to direct care. We did this for over 14 years. During that time, we had dd and ds. Both were raised in the home up until almost 2 years ago. We left the group home and I stayed home to continue homeschooling. During the last two years, I did work for some of the time writing policy and helping start a psychiatric program (with dh). When we got the program set up, licensed, and accredited, the owner told us to "take a hike" :ack2: It was INSANE. But, it all worked out because I was putting in too many hours and my kids were not happy for those four months. DH is now a hospital administrator for a rural hospital and I'm at home full time with the kids.

Working at the Art Institute* and trying to research a dissertation. Then had twins - one has autism/LKSV, and NU, for my department, had a five-year limit post-classes to turn in a dissertation. I could not meet that deadline ;-)

*not doing anything exciting - I was in Personnel!!!! I gave typing tests, answered phones, and was a security post between Prints and Drawing section and the back area. I got to sign in visitors - once Ronald McDonald came and REFUSED to sign in and get a badge. OK - stupid rule - but I was the one who WOULD have gotten in trouble!* He finally signed "Ronald" and I tagged him.

I would have paid money to see the show down with Ronald :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

I too was in personnel! Although I had more responsibility than the other lady mentioned. The highlight, was the fact that I was the temporary Personnel Director twice for a total of 5 months. Unfortuneately, the company really wanted to hire someone with more education than I had.

I am glad for the experience I had, and am happy that for many years of my children's lives, I was able to stay at home.

Pam

• Perpetual Student
  • Intern for National Geographic
  • PA
  • Spent summers working as a lower level archaeologist doing field grunt work or hard manual labor ;) spent a couple of winters cataloging site data
  • Member of IL Air National Guard
  • Gulf War Vet

Didn't marry until I was nearly 30, got pg as soon as I got home from the war, had my first baby at 32 and decided to stop being a perpetual student. Worked all kinds of jobs during the school year.

Anyhow, I'm curious about the rest of you.

(This is way better than that, BTW!)

Engineer and computer programmer. Bachelor's degree in engineering. I worked in two manufacturing companies, first doing engineering, then slid into computer programming.

I have not regretted staying home with kids for one minute. I think having had a serious career first prevents a lot of "grass is greener" attitude for me. I agree this is way better :)

Karen

I was a "nose" for a very big fragrance house. I worked with perfumers to develop fragrances for the biggest cosmetics company in the US. They kept me on as a consultant when I decided to stay home. I finally left it three years ago.

Prior:

I was in charge of all PR, Sales, Marketing, and Training in Latin America, the Caribbean, and Spain for a big U.S. designers fragrance line. I travelled 75% of my time, often for a month at a time.

I fostered two teenagers who needed to learn English and improve grades to graduate from high school.

Prior:

I worked with cooperatives in Central America to produce retail products for women's fairs across the U.S.

Prior:

I managed the PR for a University department focused on Latin American Area Studies.

I am so glad I am home, hsing my dc!