Menu

What did you "do" before you hs or had kids?

Paid for work background before kids:

I will be returning to school to aquire my Masters of Social Work. I hope to be able to help single moms, families and women emerging from an abusive dynamic. I have personal experience in addiction recovery (many years now) but don't want to do that professionally.

I have a Masters of Social Work. Over the years, I was in private practice, therapist in a residential treatment center for teens, clinical director of a psychiatric/chemical dependence hospital and did clinical reviews for a managed health company.

Being a SAH/homeschool mom is by far the most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life. :001_smile:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was an aesthetician (ok, make up girl). I worked as a make up artist for a dept. store, did some free-lance work for some photographer friends, and worked in a salon doing nails, pedicures, facials, body wraps, and waxing. I never did a Brazilian, though! It was a lot of fun, and required minimal schooling, which fit in just fine with my beach-bum/glamour girl lifestyle. Then one day, I decided to grow up, come home, and find Mr. Right. So I did.

I was 19 and had just started my sophmore year of college as a bio major when we got married. I also worked full-time then as a cake decorator and occasionally as a tv/movie extra (most boring job ever). My senior year I realized my love of biology was all intellectual, I had no real desire to actually be a biologist. I looked into changing to an art major, but I could not afford the extra years. I finished school, then worked at a small brokerage house as the operations manager. Eventually I started having some success selling my art and focused on that for several years until ds11 was ready to start formal schoolwork which was right around when ds6 was born. I tried to keep up my career and homeschool the boys, but the struggle and stress took the joy out of both for me. I took some time off from art, but slowly started painting and drawing again last year. I am determined to keep my art in the realm of hobbyist (ie no sales) until the kids are older. You would think that would be an easy goal, but sometimes I get tempted by the offers from my old contacts.

I was a preschool teacher until I had my first child, then a SAHM as soon as I gave birth...then onto HS'ing ....now those first two seem like part-time jobs compared to being a HSM (Homeschool Mom) Yeah! 11 years "officially" hsing and atleast 19 more to go...wow!

j'marie

...but I was a chemical engineer, briefly. I actually worked at a steel mill for about four months, then I went back for a graduate degree. I swear I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to actually finish the thing, as our first child was born about 8 months before I actually graduated.

People are so impressed by my degree. But if my husband lost his job, or died, would it do me any good? I doubt it. After 11 years away, I don't remember ONE THING (I think).

--Korrie

People are so impressed by my degree. But if my husband lost his job, or died, would it do me any good? I doubt it. After 11 years away, I don't remember ONE THING (I think).

--Korrie

Actually, yes, I think it would do you good. The fact that you have it shows that you have perseverance. You also must have a certain level of intelligence to get that particular degree. So, even if you don't remember anything about ChemE currently, you would likely catch on to new things quickly.

Just sayin'.