Menu

That's it! I'm starting the official

"What are you getting your kids/family members for Christmas?" thread.

My mother and step-father are getting them a Wii! We have planned all year to get one, but the money just never came through, so my mom found a great sale on one and bought it. It comes with Wii sports resort, and she got them three games.

Here is my list (it's short and I love it!):

My hubby: the fishing game for the Wii that comes with a rod, we are also going to pull up the carpet in our room and put down some other flooring (sort of a joint gift to each other)

Anna: desk with hutch, desk lamp and some cute desk accessories, Wii game, a Rock Tumbler and/or a rock collection like this, possibly some new curtains for her room, and stocking stuffers

Emma: American Girl Doll (Josephina, I think), some clothes and accessories for the doll, a Wii game, this perfume kit, possibly new bedding, and stocking stuffers

Cora: American Girl doll, some clothes and accessories for the doll, a Wii game, this earthworm kit, possibly new bedding, and stocking stuffers (plus this little turkey has a birthday on 12/30 so I'm thinking a Play Mobile something for her, we don't own any Play Mobile yet)

We go cheap on the stocking stuffers! Dollar Store and cheap Avon chapsticks, body washes, nail polish, etc.

My parents: The will get some of my photography of the kids that I have done. I don't know what else. They are hard to buy for.

Patrick's dad: Who the heck knows? I will do what I do every year, and that is let Patrick handle it, which means he will go shopping on 12/24 and hope he finds something, lol.

Anna's horseback riding instructor: We are making her some things using some photos I have done of her horses.

My brothers and their wives, and my step-sister: We aren't really exchanging, but just buying for the kids. I will probably make them something special, if nothing more than a huge box of cookies. For my brother that is in Afghanistan, I am going to make him some red velvet cupcakes (his fav!) and vacuum seal them and ship them to him. I didn't even know you could do that, but it works! Then I will include some cream cheese icing. YUM!! The girls also want to make him a tie-dye shirt. :)

My nephews: probably gift cards

My brand new niece: I made the most beautiful blocks that spell her name, Grace. I used an old Children's Alphabet book from 1930. They are gorgeous. I am super excited!!

With my bff and our kids, we do an outing for Christmas, so we need to start planning that. We might take them to see the Nutcracker this year!

We do an ornament exchange at work, which is super fun!

I feel like I'm leaving someone out, but we have parred our list down so much, and it is a beautiful thing! I had big plans to knit up a bunch of stuff, but the truth is I just don't love knitting. I don't think it's my thing.

Your turn! :D

Edited by Nakia

J-a telescope from Santa, we are going to WDW for a combined birthday/Christmas present since his b-day is less than a month before Christmas. Not certain what we will do for St Nicholas Day or his stocking yet.

DH-who knows :tongue_smilie:

My one and only neice will be visiting WDW 2wks before Christmas so she is getting something to wear at WDW :D

I. Have. No. Clue.

My kids have everything, and so do most of the kids in the family.

I know we are keeping it simple. I'll probably try to keep it to 150 per kid, and maybe a hundred for the grandson. I do think I'm gonna get him a little battery powered 4-wheeler to ride when he is up here. He will love it!!

I might get oldest dd some knitting stuff. 2nd dd and the new SIL will probably get money to buy something for their house.

17yodd - who knows? Probably clothes.

15yos - we might get him the new piece coming out for the new XBox that makes it movement activated like the Wii, cuz I want to confiscate his Wii for my own pleasure!

Trying to eliminate buying for great nieces and nephews this year.

We usually pitch in on a large item for my mom.

:lol::lol::lol:

:001_huh:..........Oh, you're serious.........:001_huh:

In all honesty, I absolutely admire you for your forethought and planning. I know that dd31 will be emailing me any day now with the wish list for the grand-children. But, I will do what I always do........keep an eye open for specials on things that dh and I have talked about getting the kids (Nakia: my list will be surprisingly similar to yours: Wii, Desk for DD11 and accessories), probably pick up tickets for a few shows at the Kennedy Center for them, and go from there.

Oh, and my MIL will be asking dh for a list from the kids any minute now. She LIVES for Christmas shopping. Still does not understand that the kids don't make lists - she hates that.

:leaving:Bingle Jells!

I love these threads. It lets me get ideas out and see others!

Immediate family

DS14 - the new iTouch

Ds13 - Digital camera

Ds 10 - ???????

Dd4 - Probably princess stuff, Barbies, Bitty Baby stuff

Dh and I are getting an iPad for each other/family gift

I'll have to add others later as I've bought things, but haven't actually sat down yet and figured it all out.

BTW - I LOVE your idea of pictures of the riding instructor's horses!!! It's so personal.

DD's birthday is less than a month after Christmas.

For the holidays (bday and Christmas), she'll be getting books (as always!), a new bike helmet, hot wheels/tracks, dollhouse furniture, and probably a few little things I pick up here and there.

OH. And I'll probably give her my ipod touch for Christmas, since I'm getting a new phone which can hold all my music.

We are also going to Baltimore for her birthday, to the National Aquarium and Port Discovery, so we probably won't be having a party.

I'm getting clothes. So is Miss Beautiful. We plan to sneak off frequently to shop for our own presents.

Mr. Clever will get either a rifle, or some electronic gadget.

Miss Bossy is getting the Ivy American Girl Doll, but she doesn't know it yet. We told her she was still too little.

I'm sending Bitty Baby to the doll hospital, for Miss Happy. I'll move all of her clothes and accessories out of Miss Bossy's room, and Miss Happy will think they are new.

I'm sure Miss Good will get more fencing, like she has the past two years, oh, and new bolt cutters.

dh will get a new saw.

Well, we make our Christmas budget be however much we've earned in Swagbucks that year. This year it's about $130 or so. Luckily, we only have two kids (or will soon. I'm due today!) and they are really small so they don't care about expensive stuff. Also, both my parents and my husbands parents generously give us cash for Christmas that we're required to spend on things we "want", so that helps it go farther too.

So far, here's the plan:

Hubby: LOST Season 6 on DVD. He already has the other 5.

DD2: Books! Leap Frog Talking Words Factory, and probably a few toy cars and dinosaurs. She loves them.

DD0: Maybe a toy? We may not get her anything this year, she'll only be 3 months old, what does she care? Oh, probably a book too.

With our parental cash, we'll probably buy a Zojirushi bread machine. We've been wanting one for a while.

Edited by MeaganS

Homemade blueberry jam...at least for those who will eat it.

Homemade English Muffins to go with the jam.

Homemade caramels

Homemade chocolate caramels

Peanut Butter Fudge

Chocolate Fudge

Cream Cheese Mints

Spiced Pecans (mainly for my mom, because she doesn't like PB Fudge)

DH -- pair of shorts I picked up on clearance, t-shirts, new dress shirt (he's taking a trip to NY with a friend from high school...that has to come out of the occasional budget, so clothes and personal care for dad it is!)

Oldest son -- digital camera (combining $$ from both grandparents and some from us). thermal underwear, snow bibs, winter socks, mittens and hat, and a bionicle and wii game we've had set aside for a looong time).

Oldest dd -- new back-pack, mittens, hat, thermal underwear, snow bibs, winter socks, crafty stuff I'm picking up at 40%-50% off, doll clothes...

Youngest son -- mittens, hat, thermal underwear, snow bibs, winter socks, bionicle, craft stuff, learning game from Critical Thinking Press...

Younger daughter -- mittens, hat, thermal underwear, snow bibs, winter socks, doll things, AG doll, crafty stuff...mazes and dot-to-dots.

Baby girl -- mittens, hat, socks, hand-me down AG Bitty Baby (cleaned up, and ready for her), crayons, a book... she needs so little :D

This year, they are getting ONE big box each. I'm putting everything in their box and calling it "done." With older kids wanting "bigger" ticket items, it's just easier to give everyone one box with their budgeted items, than trying to make sure everyone has the same # of gifts all the time. I may sneak some books in though, just for my pleasure.:D

Shhh, you're giving me an anxiety attack! ;)

I've actually been brainstorming for a while...but EVERYBODY (not quite, but it feels like it) we know has fall/early winter birthdays, so my gift ideas keep going to those. :glare:

I'd better get working on it too, because I'm determined to be DONE shopping by the end of November this year. I'm sick of spending December rushing around all stressed out, when all I really want to do is fun holiday activities with my kids. Plus I'm due with baby #3 in January and don't really want to be giving birth while I'm still recovering from a stress-induced holiday breakdown, lol.

I'm glad you started this thread! I'll be watching it for ideas to steal...

Dh: A denim quilt. The top is about two thirds done.

Dd: A steiner doll with a Roman and a Barbarian change of clothes, The Frog Bride and the Yummy Alphabet book, a toy of some description (maybe some new puzzles) and some stocking fillers.

Ds: A steiner doll with a Roman and a Barbarian change of clothes, three Marianne Berkes books, hopefully one of those toys with the coloured wires and beads that toddlers love because he's outgrown his simple one. The toy library sale is on next month and I'm hoping to find one there.

Mum: Either a wholefoods diabetic cookbook or a church history.

Dad: 'Outliers' because I think he should read it and the ingredients for making chocolate because he deserves something he will actually like :)

Brother: He's just asked for a particular commentary on the Koran.

Sister: A tortilla press unless she gives me a better idea.

Aunt: A book on Australian stingless bees.

Young cousin: Geography Songs cd and book(Yes, because I am the family geek, and possibly even appreciated for it; sort of, kind of, sometimes :D.)

Dh's niece and nephews: Books with a geography theme (Because they are rich enough to have a trillion toys but their parents are not the intellectual types. We consider the expansion of their home library to be our familial duty.)

Nan: a lap quilt

Great Uncle: if he's still around (as in hasn't moved back home- still rebuilding from the bushfires the year before last) some seaweed crackers. An odd choice? I've been threatening him with some since last Christmas because he's been picking on me :D

:)

Rosie

This year we are cutting back and doing a few combined gifts for all 4 of my youngest children ages 12, 9, 7 and 5.

I'm purchasing the Playmobil Egyptian pyramid, the robber barrens, the tomb and another set. All together I will spend about $200 on the Egyptian Playmobil sets.

I am also getting them one set of MagnaTiles which are about $100 set.

All together the gifts should cost about $300 dollars in total which amounts to $75 per child and stays in the range I want to spend.

My oldest two (27 & 22)who live on their own will get a $25 gift card to their favorite restaurant and maybe a book or dvd.

For Hanukah I am giving my daughter tickets to Wicked (on Broadway) and my son Lion King (on Broadway).

I will probably also buy them each a pillow pet, book and video.

I am trying to get the rest of the extended family on the no gift giving bandwagon, give to charity instead.

If I have to get gifts for 3 nieces/1 nephew I will go to Dylans candy bar (in NYC) and get them something there.

Dh and I were just talking aobut this today. It is really hard to buy for our kids -especially since my parents seem to have ESP or something and almost always manage to buy the bigger/most expensive gifts before we do. Which then seems to always leave us scrambling for gifts. And we don't tell my parents what we are buying anymore...

DS10- I know we will get him something to extend one of his train sets, but I don't know what yet. He got a new bike for his birthday in May. He always wants shirts with trains on them too. His other favorite is bowling but already has the accessories there he needs.

DD3 - a new tricycle. new art supplies like markers and paint.

DH- I hope to have enough money to buy him more if the Bible commentaries he wants.

My parents - I don't give them gifts. I do encourage my kids to buy gifts for them and never quite know what they will choose. My dad likes anything, my mom actually threw away the gift I bought her last year unused so I see no need to waste my money..

My MIL - I have knitted some dishclothes and will include them in a general gift basket. She lives 2000 miles away so I always ship it. Most likely we will give her another general gift card this year as well so she can buy something she needs or wants.

My brother - he has odd tastes, is single, lives alone with his dog so I will most likely make a gift box for him that includes dog toys, homemade dog treats, special single serving meal kits, packaged 'just add water' kinds of foods, and so on.

My grandmother - not sure here. She is 87 and still able to live alone. A visit would be her favorite gift but I don't know that we will be able to do that.

The cousins - on dh's side of the family we don't exchange gifts. On my side there are 3-1yr olds, 1-5 yr old, 1-10 yr old, and 1-15yr old. We spend about $5-$10 each for them depending on what I find on sale. The 2 oldest will most likely get gift certificates of some sort with some chocolate.

I don't know which of my siblings DH & I are buying for (we draw names every year) so that's still up in the air...

We'll likely give my parents framed pictures of DS (it seems like they're trying to redecorate their house so that at least every room has a picture of him, lol. They're loving the grandparent thing!) We don't exchange gifts with DH's parents (at Christmas! They prefer to do all their gift buying and giving during their annual visit).

We'll likely bully....er... convince my parents to get a small ("indoor") slide for DS to play on during the snowy months and probably a play kitchen or workbench. We'll be getting him a few smaller toys (probably some sort of "truck"...), a few puzzles, and a few board books. I'll also be getting a couple of books to add to our "children's" library (probably Here Comes Ducklings and either the Brown Bear book or Rainbow Fish...)

I'll be getting DH either Civ V or Halo Reach and probably a season of Corner Gas.

"Family Gifts" - Sleeping Beauty and a couple of tougher puzzles (1000 piece +)

DS (11) will probably get a Netbook or a laptop. When he turns 12 in March, he can study between classes at our Homeschool Resource Center, so I'm thinking it'll come in handy. He's a HUGE fan of ThinkGeek, so I'll probably get a couple of little things there that I think will tickle his fancy.

DH is super hard to shop for because he buys himself everything he wants when he wants it. I tend to buy him a couple of shirts and sweaters that are dressy enough to wear to work, because he HATES shopping for himself. And then I also tend to get him books. He doesn't read as much as I do, and Matt and I usually go book-shopping during the day while he's at work, but it's a treat for him to have a personal librarian that knows his interests. His and ds's stockings will probably include gift cards to ski resorts (an amount enough for a day of skiing) along with the usual candy and trinkets.

The younger nieces and nephews (of which there are 10) get some sort of toy, an outfit and a book. This is BY FAR the most grueling part of Christmas shopping. The older nieces and nephews (of which there are 5) get gift cards.

DH and I don't exchange gifts with our siblings.

DH's parents get a nice assortment of photographs of their oldest grandson (I'm horrible about sending photos so I try to do a year in review for them at Christmastime) and something for the house or yard.

Our neighbors and DS's music teachers get something homemade and yummy. The dh and I are thinking about trying to make up a huge batch of tamales this year.

The only other people we exchange gifts with are my best friend and her family. The college-age boys get money and then starting about now I keep my eyes open to things that are meaningful for my best friend, her husband and her teenage daughter. My best friend and I, and my dh and her husband have over 20 years under our belts so we know when we see the perfect things for them.

I want to start thinking and shopping....but I just can't LOL. My girls change their minds so much between now and December. Right now they are loving Ariel and Alice and Wonderland, but that could wear off in a month LOL. But I have been brainstorming....

DD6 - pillow pet

Stocking - Squinkies (whatever....she's been begging for them though), flashlight (strange, but my kids want their own)

DD3 - pillow pet

Stocking - flashlight

Okay, seriously, that's as far as I've gotten. As far as all other people....I'm clueless LOL!

I've got a few things in mind, but nothing concrete. Added to my shopping stress is our youngest daughter's birthday 2 days before Christmas.

DD 21: ??? She wants movies and books and nothing else.

DD 10: American Girl doll clothes and accessories, books (but what?)

DS 6: Magnetix

I'll be knitting some washcloths for them and pairing them up with some fun soaps (Dr. Who for the youngest two). I haven't started thinking about shopping for anyone else yet.

I can't believe this thread is taking place already. I feel like we just did this yesterday!

This was the conversation at our house yesterday.

DS - Mom, what are you thinking about?

Me - I was thinking that I will need to write our Christmas cards soon (thinking into October)

DS - It's not even FALL YET!

Why does is seem like it is almost Christmas?

Well, traditionally everyone gets pajamas, a book and then a few presents of their choice. I send $100 to all of the kids that don't live at home. However, finances are very tight so I don't see that happening this year. I will still do the pajamas and book but probably only one other gift each. That will still be hard being that we have eight children and several grandchildren and my brother.

DD 21: ??? She wants movies and books and nothing else.

Haha... that's me. Don't be like my mother. My list has been entirely movie and books (with the occasional puzzle thrown in) since I was about 9. My mom is convinced that I never tell her the true "fun" thing that I want and so she hunts until she is convinced that she finds it, buys it for me, and I get something nice, but not what I wanted :glare:

Haha... that's me. Don't be like my mother. My list has been entirely movie and books (with the occasional puzzle thrown in) since I was about 9. My mom is convinced that I never tell her the true "fun" thing that I want and so she hunts until she is convinced that she finds it, buys it for me, and I get something nice, but not what I wanted :glare:

That's me, except without the movies. I've been all about books as presents since I was... well, ever since I can remember! I was the crazy kid who asked Santa for books.. :tongue_smilie:Of course my family (parents, grandparents, etc.) were convinced that I REALLY wanted something else, so they got EVERYTHING else for me... :D

I was of course very grateful for the nice stuff I got... but I would have been just as happy with books and gift certificates to book stores.

Me - I was thinking that I will need to write our Christmas cards soon (thinking into October)

I actually called my best friend on August 30th to say it was time to start looking for the kids Christmas outfits. :D She told me it was still summer, and to leave her alone about it until AT LEAST October. lol.

But.... in my defense, we have 3 girls, sizes 4T, 6, and 10, and a boy size 6 months that we have to find outfits for. We've been doing matching dresses for the girls the past couple holidays, but now we have her boy to consider also.

I know we're getting our dds a laptop to share. I think I'll get the first two seasons of The Cosby Show (one for each of their stockings) and an American Girl outfit for each. They usually always have a Lego set they want and we'll get that. I don't know yet if there is something special they want that would be an individual gift. They haven't clued me in but I'm sure there will be something as it gets closer and I'll try to get whatever that is as well.

I'll send my niece a gift card. I have no idea what we'll get our parents.:001_huh: I hope dh just gives me a gift card to Barnes & Noble so I can buy more books for my Nook. I think I'm going to get dh a new guitar because the one he has now is on its last leg - he's used it since he was about 13.

Guest janainaz

My ds's have been talking about Christmas for a few months now. Not for the gifts, for the Christmas movies and all the rest. As much as I love it, I'm not ready to embrace another year gone by. :mellow:

Cora: (plus this little turkey has a birthday on 12/30 so I'm thinking a Play Mobile something for her, we don't own any Play Mobile yet)

My birthday is Dec 30th. My dh's is Dec 29th. It's an AWFUL time to have a birthday when you're a kid. You get all those Christmas presents, then a crappy second-thought birthday present, and then you have to go a WHOLE YEAR before you get new stuff again. Other kids get a break somewhere in the middle of the year, with a special day all to themselves, but no one has the energy for Birthdays 5 days after Christmas.

Be sure that you get her the same amount of stuff you'd get for someone with a birthday in June. Even though she's just opened a gagillion Christmas presents, it's really just sad to have your birthday dawn and only get an afterthought.

I especially hated gifts that "went with" one of my Christmas presents. It just meant that they split one present into two, even though it was really just one present. (Like if you were to give her her American Girl doll for Christmas and the accessories for her birthday.) Not that you're doing that...I'm just remembering my cheesy gifts from when I was a kid.

Ok--my self-pity story is done.

Cream Cheese Mints

Recipe please.

I'm purchasing the Playmobil Egyptian pyramid, the robber barrens, the tomb and another set. All together I will spend about $200 on the Egyptian Playmobil sets.

This is a fantastic idea! I always think about this for my 6yo, but the reality is that my 10yo will play with it just as much. She sure has with the Legos! This would be a great way to combine a big gift for both.

DD got her iTouch for her b.day, so we'll likely go smaller for Christmas. American girl clothes, and clothes for dd too.

I want to make DS his own Lego table where I can secure the green Lego bases on top , and get him a little chair to go with it. I will probably make this from Ikea stuff.

DH will get some clothes.

I walked in to ask my family what they thought about for G.ma this year, as FIL died in April and I'd like to do something special for her. They all looked at me like my hair was on fire. Okaaaayyyyyyy. Guess I'll do all the thinking and planning. Again.:glare: Maybe they will be more in the mood to think about it when it's not over 90 degrees!:tongue_smilie:

DD8: American Girl Elizabeth's nightgown with matching girl gown along with some other accessories etc. Books and maybe a few little things. Clothes.

DD6: American Girl Bitty Baby and Kit's pajamas for girls. Books and a few other small things. Clothes.

ETA: Both of the girls have birthdays in late October/November. For birthdays, my family all went together to get dd8 the American Girl Felicity doll and dd6 the Lanie doll before they go away. They will have a big gift season. My MIL has also been buying AG stuff by the truckloads that they will get for birthdays and Christmas as well (most of it she has purchased used though).

I was just talking about this with dh...

So far I have the parent's gifts planned:

my mom and her new husband - a quilt (the top is made, just have to back and bind it)

my dad and his lovely wife - a quilt (same thing, top is made already... have to finish)

my inlaws - matching quilted stockings with Grammy and Poppa on one side and their names on the other side... made in the colors she loves to go at her fireplace and given mid-Dec....

For my kids:

20yr old dd: home made gifts for the grandson due in Jan...

18yog in college: gift cards with stocking with stuffers...

17, 15 and 14 yo teens get gift cards unless something really special pops out at me during the next couple of months... and stockings with stuffers... They each have a little artificial tree that I will buy decorations for and make all special for them. They will have Christmas at their dad's and I want them to have these trees in their room from me....

4 younger boys... hmmm... not totally sure, but the youngest has a wooden Christmas house with drawers that pull out for each of the 24 days up to Christmas and I have to find little things to put into those drawers...

I loved browsing at Michael's recently and they had some great ornaments to paint... plenty of Christmas crafts... and my boys actually like that type of holiday fun...

I am also focusing on a yearly holiday party tradition that we started last year. I'd rather have a fun party with them all as they grow older and leave the nest... Christmas becomes less about Dec. 25th and more about a fun time together.

I love reading these! Autumn is my favorite time of year, and part of that is because I get to plan Christmas shopping. I start around Sept 1st, and plan to be completely done by the end of Nov. NONE of that Black Friday shopping for me. I did want to add that my girls always get matching pajamas to wear on Christmas Eve to wear for pics Christmas morning. I know I am a dork. Also my husband said that his dad would probably like to just give me some $$$ to buy some things for the girls, so that will take care of the Wii games! YAY!!

Had to comment on some of your responses.

BTW - I LOVE your idea of pictures of the riding instructor's horses!!! It's so personal.

Thank you! She (the instructor) has an older Pasa Fino stallion, Bo, that is her love. I think we are going to do a calendar for her of all her horses, and then have a blanket done with Bo's picture. I am trying to think of some other nice personalized gifts.

I

I'm sure Miss Good will get more fencing, like she has the past two years, oh, and new bolt cutters.

Why does this not surprise me? She is such a cool girl!!!!

I have not even begun to consider Christmas gifts yet this year. I just wanted to say that when I saw the title of this thread, "That's it! I'm starting the official," I thought you were going to say that you were starting an official Nutella-lovers social group here on the forums! LOLOLOL :lol:

LOL!!!! We do need a Nutella lovers group. Or maybe a 12 step program. :D

Nakia: Playmobil has a great Nativity Set and on the fun but not religious side take a look at the play mobil advent calendars. :)

We don't have Playmobil, but I know she would love it. What other sets would you recommend to start with? She looked at the catalog and liked the animal hospital and the barn.

I forgot to add that I am going to encourage each of my girls to make their sisters something, even if it's just a coloring page. Anna is going to make necklaces for her sisters.

And to all of you in denial, it's only 110 days until the big day! ;)

My birthday is Dec 30th. My dh's is Dec 29th. It's an AWFUL time to have a birthday when you're a kid. You get all those Christmas presents, then a crappy second-thought birthday present, and then you have to go a WHOLE YEAR before you get new stuff again. Other kids get a break somewhere in the middle of the year, with a special day all to themselves, but no one has the energy for Birthdays 5 days after Christmas.

Be sure that you get her the same amount of stuff you'd get for someone with a birthday in June. Even though she's just opened a gagillion Christmas presents, it's really just sad to have your birthday dawn and only get an afterthought.

I especially hated gifts that "went with" one of my Christmas presents. It just meant that they split one present into two, even though it was really just one present. (Like if you were to give her her American Girl doll for Christmas and the accessories for her birthday.) Not that you're doing that...I'm just remembering my cheesy gifts from when I was a kid.

Ok--my self-pity story is done.

We have been really firm about celebrating her birthday completely separate from Christmas. You know those little nail polish or make up sets that Walmart sells at Christmas every year for like $3 or so? Well my fil went to Walmart and bought her two of those on clearance. So he spent less than $5. It wouldn't be a big deal if he spent the same on the others, but he gives them money and it's usually $50 or more. And money is no issue for him. I didn't say a word because it is kind that the brought her anything at all.

I forgot to add that I am going to encourage each of my girls to make their sisters something, even if it's just a coloring page.

Mmm. Zia has just got to the age where we need to start "Let's do your best drawing for Daddy, Marek, Nanna, Dziadek, Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Boris, Marianne, Mamma Soph and Nanny Dot." Phew. What a Christmas list for a three year old!

Rosie

Mmm. Zia has just got to the age where we need to start "Let's do your best drawing for Daddy, Marek, Nanna, Dziadek, Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Boris, Marianne, Mamma Soph and Nanny Dot." Phew. What a Christmas list for a three year old!

Rosie

:lol: Her list is longer than mine. Maybe you could get her some beads and string and let her make "bracelets". :001_smile:

:lol: Her list is longer than mine. Maybe you could get her some beads and string and let her make "bracelets". :001_smile:

Maybe next year. We'll ease into this gift giving business, I think. She'd want to keep the bracelets, whereas she doesn't care at all about her drawings once they are finished. One step at a time ;)

Rosie

We are getting the kids (ummm, because dh and I would NEVER play it :blush:) a Wii for Christmas. We just got it in fact! We also got the family sports set thing that has everything you would need and maybe not need for any and all Wii sports games. The Wii comes with the 2 sports games but we bought a 3rd because we kinda have a competitive family... er, I mean kids :blush:. We also got an extra nunchuck and controller... I dont remember there was 2 other things I got with it... And I got Wii Fit (am I allowed to put that to mom from mom????:D) We are going to get another couple games yet for it. I really dont know what else to get the girls. We want to get the boys room re-done but is that ok to do for boys for Christmas? (kill 2 birds with 1 stone ;)) They have moved past dinosaurs to spiderman LOL.

I have no clue what else to get my 12 year old dd and my 9 year old dd so I will be reading this thread for ideas :D. We are going to get all the kids some small stuff to go with it (ALL that Wii stuff was NOT cheap)

Dh has a billion things on his wishlist (_______ has this I need it. I saw _______ in the store I need it. :001_huh:) So I guess one of his million I wants LOL.

All our family is in Michigan so we always send them something small with a gift card to somewhere. <sigh> I hate gift cards but I also hate paying $143 in shipping costs for presents (that is how much shipping costs were the first year we moved away-- ever since then we fell in love with the light as a feather, cheap to send gift cards)

I want an elliptical. I have wanted one for years though. Maybe someday!

My kids are deprived and won't be getting anything this year. :D

Actually they're getting one-way tickets back to the states!! :hurray: We found out a couple of days ago we're moving a lot sooner than expected and will be back a couple of weeks before Christmas. Anyway we're going to be homeless for 4 months so Santa's handing out an I.O.U. to be rendered when we get into our house. They'll both be getting entire new bedroom furniture. We're using Army issued furniture here. DS only has a toddler bed in storage so it's more of a need than a want. As far as toys and books, I guarantee Grandpa's got that covered.

As for the rest of the family, we'll be getting everybody whatever random souvenirs from here we can shove in our suitcases. They're cheap but family doesn't know that and it isn't something they already have. Besides it's been so long since we've seen anybody we have no idea what they have or what they'd like.

Edited by dawn8500

We do Hannukah and Christmas at our house, and both kids have already made up lists of what they want. Mostly the lists involve Star Wars action figures, DS games, and Bakugan. Both of them also want a pillow pet, and ds1 wants a set of those wind-up walking teeth. :confused: Okay, then! :lol:

They already know that mom and dad aren't going to spend mega-bucks for Hannukah, and they have been informed that the economy has affected Santa's budget, and he cannot afford everything on their lists, either. ;)

They are usually pretty happy with whatever they get, so it will be a combination of toys from their lists, pajamas, a couple of board games and books.

Oh, I just read about the birthdays after Christmas. My sister's birthday is Dec. 29, and my mom always made an effort to celebrate it the same as the rest of our birthdays. It was hard to have a party that time of year because friends were otherwise occupied, but we would always do something special.

My goddaughter's birthday is Dec. 26th, and although we usually celebrate Christmas and her birthday on the same day, I always have a stack of presents wrapped in Christmas paper and another stack wrapped in birthday paper for her. Last year, I gave her a small birthday gift and a coupon to use for a special day together. So, in January, I took her to the zoo, out to lunch, to a paint your own pottery place, dinner and a movie! It was a full and fun day, and I think she really liked having that special birthday time.

DD6- American Girl Josephina doll and book set, Her very own real Bible, Sorry board game, Wii Mariocart game, something educational

DS4- Dinosaur set, Star Wars, a new storybook Bible, Wii Lego game, super hero costumes (buying on clearance after Halloween :D), something educational

DH- he is so stinking hard to buy for!!! :confused: I am thinking about getting him the new ipod touch...I keep telling him we can't afford it in the hopes he'll not buy it before hand. SHHHHH!

Outside immediate family and our parents I have a hard time doing the obligatory gift giving. Bah humbug.

I am thinking of making stuff for people this year. We'll see.