Menu

Is this babyname to "different"

Emmaleigh Ruth

We are not trying to spell Emily different. We have two really great friends Emma and Leigh so we would like to combine them. We like Ruth as a middle name because Ruth means friend and goes with the first 2 names. We aren't trying for a variation of Emily which most people might think. Is there other ways to combine them?

I've met little girls who were named "Emmaleigh". You could also just name her Emma Leigh, but I probably wouldn't like that as much, and I love the name Ruth, so wouldn't want you to drop that.

No matter what you choose, people will have an opinion. Do what makes your heart happy. :)

I think I'd like Emma Leigh or Emma-Leigh better than Emmaleigh because it makes the syllable division clearer and you're less likely to get called Emmalek in the doctor's office. If you're open to a different spelling, I think Emma Lee is very clear and won't ever get butchered by a receptionist. You might have to go with a hyphen if they won't allow you to enter a two word name as a first name on the birth certificate, but that depends on the rules in your state.

You need to decide whether or not you care what other people will think. I have a Haleigh, which is (imo) visually "cleaner" than Emmaleigh, and people still raise their eyebrows. Our goal was a more traditional (Celtic-ish) spelling, not an inventive spelling, but many people aren't (or weren't, until recently) familiar with that concept. Oh, the poor Siobhans I've met!!!! Even my cousin and bil have difficulties as Seans! :confused:

I have absolutely NO regrets about my dd's name, but it can cause frustration now and then, so just be aware.

I'd probably make it four names Emma Leigh Ruth Lastname unless you want it SAID Emily instead of Emma Leigh.

Though I wonder if you could still have it said Emma Leigh if you pushed it together with a capital L like in EmmaLeigh.

Do you want Emily or Emma Leigh when it's SAID?

But I'm not sure that EmmaLeigh in ANY configuration really goes with the rest of your children's names. Generally, I would say "who cares" but since you have so many who seem to be within a similar vein...... Kinda like how I think the Duggars could have stopped the J names with kid 4 or 5 pretty easily, but after 10? not so much.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Totally honest?

"Emmaleigh" looks way too "trendy" and "fluffy" or something compared to all the more classic names you gave all of your other kids. And compared to the middle name you want to pair it with as well. It doesn't seem to "match" really. But if you don't care about that, go for it. Emily is a nice name and that's what most people will "hear" anyway. Like Pamela, I'd rather make Leigh Ruth two different middle names.

I'd probably make it four names Emma Leigh Ruth Lastname unless you want it SAID Emily instead of Emma Leigh.

Though I wonder if you could still have it said Emma Leigh if you pushed it together with a capital L like in EmmaLeigh.

Do you want Emily or Emma Leigh when it's SAID?

But I'm not sure that EmmaLeigh in ANY configuration really goes with the rest of your children's names. Generally, I would say "who cares" but since you have so many who seem to be within a similar vein...... Kinda like how I think the Duggars could have stopped the J names with kid 4 or 5 pretty easily, but after 10? not so much.

:iagree:

I like the idea of using the four names if you can.

It's beautiful name, but will probably always be misspelled (did I just spell "misspell" wrong?... not sure...) and mispronounced. If that is okay with you, then go for it. :)

My opinion is that that is one very long name to teach a chld to write when they are first learning to write. It could be very frustrating at first. When I was teaching preK the kids with the longer names hated them because it just took them so long to write. If you also have a long last name I personally woudn't.

My other opinion is this LOL-I ould make EmmaLeigh the middle name and call her Ruth EmmaLeigh or Ruthie. BUt I also prefer the name Ruth.

Neighbor's daughter is Emmaleigh for a very similar reason. It's not the same as everyone else, but it honors people they love and that's a wonderful thing. I think she will have a nice story to tell when she grows up.

My dad was named H.C. after an uncle named Hyma, and Dad's parents didn't want to use the actual name. That man spent his life saying, "Initials only." But he loved to pass on the stories of his father's bosom buddy, crazy uncle Hyma, who died a sadly young death.

I think it's a lovely thing to do.

My only warning is that our little neighbor's name is pronounced by most as "Emily" - the two names aren't dilineated at all in general speech, so even if you try, this is probably only going to be obvious in writing.

I like it, especially because it's meaningful to you. FYI, though, when I saw it for the first time before reading the discussion, I was pronouncing it in my head as Emma Leigh, not Emily.

We have a daughter with the Irish spelling of her name, which NO ONE would say correctly looking at the spelling unless they knew Gaelic. But, we knew that when we named her, and we are not bothered at all by mis-spellings and mis-pronunciations. The name was more important to us than everyone being able to say it correctly upon seeing it for the first time. You have to decide what's more important to you.

I would go with Emma-Leigh.

My 2nd dd was giving her 4H public presentation at state fair yesterday, and one of the other girls was Dani-Ann.

It looks good in writing (imo), and makes clear your intent.

People may botch the spelling or pronunciation, but that happens with almost any name. My oldest is Bryan. Some people use "i" for "y"; ok, I get that. But the mom of one family we've known since before he was born STILL writes Brain (though he is one. LOL).

People may botch the spelling or pronunciation, but that happens with almost any name. My oldest is Bryan. Some people use "i" for "y"; ok, I get that. But the mom of one family we've known since before he was born STILL writes Brain (though he is one. LOL).

J is actually Josef-it gets spelled Joseph even when we tell someone how it is spelled!

My MIL-writes everything "Joseph" even though Josef was named after HER Father! I HATE the name Joseph but of course adore the Chzech heritage name Josef.

I like the idea of separate names, Emma Leigh Ruth but Ruth will probably be left out much of the time making Leigh her middle name. My daughters have two middle names. The last is always left off as if it didn't exist. Regardless of the spelling, naming her after two dear friends is a wonderful idea.

If you want the names pronounced distinctly, a hyphen will do the trick nicely while keeping the parts united.

Emma-Leigh Ruth Lastname.

If they're to be said together like Emily, then write them as one word.

Emmaleigh Ruth Lastname.

Personally, when I considered something similar w/ our last baby, I decided against using the four name solution--2 first names written separately--bec. I thought one of them would always be left off.

The person might bec. just Emma or just Leigh if written like Emma Leigh.

Or there might be confusion about the 2nd part being mistaken for the beginning of the middle names.

But in the end, it's a lovely name however you choose to write it, and a wonderful way to honor your friends.

I particularly adore the name Ruth and wish I could have used it, but it sounds awful with our surname.

Congratulations on the new baby!

Personally, I'm not fond of names which seem to stick out because somebody wanted them to stick out, kwim?

Of course, it's none of my business how anyone is going to name their child, but if you intend to call her Emily (from the point of view of sounds involved), and if you come from and live in a region in which Emily is the "official" variant of the name in the culture that you belong to, why force an alternative spelling, especially if phonetically it remains virtually the same, save an odd vowel change?

Emmaleigh is just a bit "forced" to my eyes. I'd either prefer it as two separate names, either as Emily. Only my .02 though. :)

All of your other kids have Biblical names and this one isn't. It has a great story and the child might be fine with that, but you never can tell. I would swap the names around making Ruth the first name and your friend's names a double middle name, separated so that they are pronounced properly. I am a sucker for keeping up naming trends though.

I tend to agree with this. All of your other kids have Biblical (and mostly Old Testament) first names. While "Ruth" fits well with this, Emily, Emma, Leigh, and Emma-Leigh don't. You also have no other hyphenated names. (And if you don't want people to think you just came up with a creative spelling of Emily, I think others are right that Emma Leigh or Emma-Leigh are better choices.)

I might consider various alternatives like Ruth Leigh-Emma, which avoids the whole "Emily" problem entirely, *and* has the advantage of a first name that fits better with your other kids.

I know another Emmaleigh, so it's definitely growing in popularity. It doesn't make the NameVoyager, but "Emmalee" does beginning in the late 90's - it's still spiking and trending upward statistically, so it may be around for awhile longer.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=emmalee&ms=false&exact=false

I think you should never ask about a name before you give it. Choose it for your own reasons.

All of your other kids have Biblical names and this one isn't. It has a great story and the child might be fine with that, but you never can tell. I would swap the names around making Ruth the first name and your friend's names a double middle name, separated so that they are pronounced properly. I am a sucker for keeping up naming trends though.

I tend to agree with this too. Our last is the only one without a Biblical name and she notices it. We used the name Emma too. While it "goes" along with the other names, it was not consistent and I know that sometimes bothers her. Not often, as I don't have a biblical name (and that is what I say to her when she brings it up), but still the fact remains she notices it.

I have to be honest too and say that Emmaleigh just looks like a "creative" way to spell Emily and that is most likely how it will be looked at forever. I think that most people will hear Emily and will spell it like that and she will have a lifetime of having to correct others. That isn't something I would want to give my daughter.

I agree with the Emma-Leigh Ruth option. Of course, she'll have to explain the "Emma-Leigh" part anyway, but I think it's easier. But, I notice Hadessah& Gideon, so you're not worried about people asking... right? In that case, just do what you want... and like I've offered for my daughter that doesn't like her spelling... I'll change it when she's 18 if she still wants it changed...

Another idea - have you thought about naming her Emmaleigh Ruth (lastname) and calling her Ruth?

We know lots of families whose children are called by their middle names, including my nephews, who go by "mo" (for Atticus Geronimo) and "bimi" (for Oliver Ibrahim)

I agree with the Emma-Leigh Ruth option. Of course, she'll have to explain the "Emma-Leigh" part anyway, but I think it's easier. But, I notice Hadessah& Gideon, so you're not worried about people asking... right? In that case, just do what you want... and like I've offered for my daughter that doesn't like her spelling... I'll change it when she's 18 if she still wants it changed...

:iagree:My middle name is after an aunt. Her name is Annette. My parents shortened it to Ann, which I hate. My thought was if you were going to honor someone use their name, not the variation. I would have been proud to be Paula Annette, Paula Ann sounds like a conjunction. :glare:

All of your other kids have Biblical names and this one isn't

I think this would be a sticking point for me. We have 4dc, two with Bible names and two with Bible middle-names (the other bits of the names, not). I wonder if your little EmmaLeigh would feel a little left out when she got older, being the only one with a non-Bible first name??

Maybe switching the names around solves the problem, if you like Ruth well enough for a first name? EmmaLeigh is very sweet and it's a lovely idea to honor your friends by naming your dd after them.

I think you should never ask about a name before you give it. Choose it for your own reasons.

Nothing good can come of asking. :lol: I never even TELL anyone what we're going to name our babies until it's too late for them to say anything negative - as in after they're born, named, and have birth certificate information entered with the state, lol.

However, since you did ask...(heehee)...I think it's beautiful and you should do whatever feels right to you, BUT with the one caveat that a study a few years ago showed that people with common names spelled in an uncommon way were less likely to be hired for a job. I think they were less likely to even get an interview at all after someone saw their resumes. It was very specific in that it wasn't unusual names, but rather unusual spellings for common names. This might not matter to you at all (most people think I'm crazy for thinking about it) but it did matter to me when choosing the spelling for my daughters' names. :)

Nothing good can come of asking. :lol: I never even TELL anyone what we're going to name our babies until it's too late for them to say anything negative - as in after they're born, named, and have birth certificate information entered with the state, lol.

I've had people tell me the already named baby has an ugly name. Never ask!

I agree. FWIW, we're using a double middle name for the baby on the way, too. :)

However, since you did ask...(heehee)...I think it's beautiful and you should do whatever feels right to you, BUT with the one caveat that a study a few years ago showed that people with common names spelled in an uncommon way were less likely to be hired for a job. I think they were less likely to even get an interview at all after someone saw their resumes. It was very specific in that it wasn't unusual names, but rather unusual spellings for common names. This might not matter to you at all (most people think I'm crazy for thinking about it) but it did matter to me when choosing the spelling for my daughters' names. :)

This is interesting. I wonder what, if anything, was said about traditional names with traditional heritage spelling. Like I stated before J is actually Josef and is named for his Czech Grandfather. In Czech this is how it is spelled, here in the states it is spelled "Joseph". I have "Josef" NOT "Joseph" and yes, you can call him "Yosef" but not many people do and it is only ones that are familiar with the Eastern European spellings. We pronuce it with the "f" sound like "Jose-F" instead of the "ph" sound.

OP-I ADORE that name and you do have some "different" names meaning not popular but set in heritage and the name is gorgeous. You are honoring two very special people. Name your child what *you* want to name her and be happy with it knowing you named her what *you* wanted. I am supposed to be TarahLeigh-my natural Father HATED it and chose Crystal N (I HATE my middle name and not many people know it). My Mother still hates the fact she caved on my name.

I love the name Emily (my angel dd's name), so I like it put together if you are going to call her that, but if it is meant to be Emma Leigh, I'd put it separate, or hyphenate it. My dd did struggle to spell her name in preK (Caitlyn), but now she's got it down, so I wouldn't let that stop you!

I'd probably drop Ruth and just go with Emma Leigh and call her by both names.

My aversion could come from my name being Leigh Anne Ruth. Or at least it was. I changed it when I got married. Some family still calls me Leigh Anne, but it never suited me. I prefer just Leigh.

I've had people tell me the already named baby has an ugly name. Never ask!

Yeah, even my mom wanted the other name when we told her the two choices we were considering with my last son. I've found it is better just to tell people and let them deal with it. If you tell them what you are thinking about, then somehow they feel like they have a "say" in the name, which is NEVER a good thing.

Our youngest has rather an unusual name for an American, and after he was born, I got a letter from my 90 year old aunt asking me to explain why we named him that, nicely of course! :lol:

I'm telling you, when you get to your fifth boy, it takes forever to figure out a name, while I've got girl names collecting dust! I'll have to name my cats those names when I'm a little old lady.

I totally agree with you there. We never mentioned dd5's name until after she was born and still got many snarky comments about it. Not so much anymore now that she is older for some reason. Our name for the new baby is locked in the safe until he/she is born. Then I will let the negative comments roll in. No matter the name, someone will have something negative to say about it. Go with your heart and have no regrets.

I'm not a fan. Even though you have your well-thought-out reasons, the child wears the name, not the reason. People will assume you were trying to be "Kree-ative" by giving a reach-for-it-on-tiptoes spelling.

I would use Emily Ruth. Tell your friends it's "Emily" for "Emma" and "Leigh"; you used the typical spelling so it wouldn't confuse people forever. Your friends still get the honor you're intending and the child gets a pretty name that is perfectly clear.

I don't tell family the "REAL" names. I find ugly oldfashion names and tell them this is the name we are looking at. This babys ugly name is Sophronia ( instead of Sophia) Maud or Cecil Paul. All they do is complain no matter what name it is so I give them something to complain about!(Lol) We don't like anymore "Bible" names for a girl. We like Ruth but only as a middle name. So that is also one reason we like Emma( besides a great friend) is because it is a variation of Emmanual. We want to stay within bible variations si the name will have a bible theme. I'm open to hear other bible variation names.

Everyone who meets her will call her Emily.... I'd go with the Emma Leigh Ruth myself. Or Emma Ruth Leigh.

Plus Emmaleigh - she'll be having to spell it out for people for the rest of her life.

PS - when I was expecting my dd I had my in-laws, staunch Republicans, convinced and horrified that I was going to name the baby after "her"...was it my off-hand comments on should I spell it Hilary or Hillary that had them worried? (had no intention of using that name - just had to tease my in-laws ;-)

Edited by JFSinIL