Menu

Quick - what's for dinner????!!!

This one is super-easy, a pantry meal staple: Jane Brody's Pasta with Chickpea sauce, plus a side of green beans. This is a good pantry pasta sauce. The recipe is here, except that the original recipe calls for two cans of chickpeas (undrained), and a can of diced tomatoes (also undrained).

http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vegetarian-forum/1140023-chickpea-pasta-sauce.html

You puree one can of chickpeas (with the liquid) in the blender. I like a little parmesan on the pasta and sauce. Good luck coming up with something for dinner!

This one is super-easy, a pantry meal staple: Jane Brody's Pasta with Chickpea sauce, plus a side of green beans. This is a good pantry pasta sauce. The recipe is here, except that the original recipe calls for two cans of chickpeas (undrained), and a can of diced tomatoes (also undrained).

http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vegetarian-forum/1140023-chickpea-pasta-sauce.html

You puree one can of chickpeas (with the liquid) in the blender. I like a little parmesan on the pasta and sauce. Good luck coming up with something for dinner!

Thank you for this!!!! my kids would love this.

Grilled cheese sandwiches and potato chips. :001_huh: The 9yo and I are on our own for supper tonight so I threw nutrition to the wind and gave us a junk food treat! He's watching Kipper videos now...I'm going to go take a nice, long shower and then we're going to eat big bowls of ice cream.

(This will teach the responsible people in our house to go off to their fun activities and leave us alone. :lol:)

sloppy joes, fried eggplant, and swiss chard. The eggplant and swiss chard are from the garden. The sloppy joes were done in the crock-pot. We are just about to sit down and eat. :001_smile:

I started out making fried eggplant and decided to make it into a kind of quick eggplant parm. We'll see how it turns out. I'm looking to make some garlic bread right now to go with it.

Mushroom-Asparagus quiche, marinated cauliflower salad, and a green salad with black olives and mini heirloom tomatoes.

Tonight I needed a meal I could prepare ahead of time, so when we got back from ballet, I could have dinner on the table in 10 minutes so we could eat before taking ds to Scouts. Ack!

So I made quiche with a potato crust (this is quicker and easier than making pastry crust from scratch, and it's good for people who need to cut back on grains -- you just oil the dish very lightly, then line the bottom and sides with very thin slices of potato, fill with your usual quiche ingredients and bake as usual)... The filling was onions, shallots, garlic, a little bacon (enough that each slice of quiche had about 1/2 a slice -- just enough for flavor), lots of mushrooms, lots of asparagus, and a little swiss and parmesan cheese. I like quiche 'cause you can bake ahead and it's just as good (or better) a few hours later.

The marinated cauliflower was a recipe from the current Vegetarian Times (which is a very annoying magazine, but occasionally has good recipes). :)

Thank you for this!!!! my kids would love this.

I haven't quite figured out the quote-within-a-quote thing, so please bear with me -- this is about the pasta with chickpea sauce recipe. I discovered that some brands of canned chickpeas are better for this recipe than others. The local brand we happened to have in the pantry today weren't that good -- the S&W are better. I suppose starting with dried chickpeas would be better still but I yet to go that extra step.

Rotisserie chicken (mesquite flavor), fiesta corn and BBQ baked beans. But I had steamed broccoli and a little basmati rice with my chicken.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night because I am going to make what looked like a super easy Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup from Giada deLaurentis. And some tomato/basil burchetta to go with it. Yumm!:D

Tonight was:

leftover potato crust quiche (I used a little diced ham, onion, carrots and garden tomatoes as filling). My husband says this is one of my best dishes. It's so easy and a great way to use up a little of this and a little of that.

wild blueberry pancakes with maple syrup

turkey sausage

orange juice

Son had his fave leftover bbq steak, mashed potatoes, and corn.

Daughter had a chicken/fries meal from Burger King (bought w/friends)

Husband had chicken wings & beer.

I didn't eat supper, but had a huge bowl of pretzels a few moments ago.

yeah it was one of those nights. :laugh:

Cauliflower soup with chilli flavoured pasta thrown in. I'd make salad if dh was coming home, but the kids aren't old enough to eat it yet, so I won't bother. If you'd asked last night, I'd have had a better answer. Last night was rice and lentils, with a tomato-okra yumminess. I need to find a way to feed okra to the kids though. They seem to find whole pods intimidating.

Hey! This stuff is great! It's like a vegan bouillabaisse! The veggie stock and garlic make it taste as though there is fish in there.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I have some chicken thawed that I need to cook. It'll either get salsa dumped on it, or salt, pepper, and rosemary. I'll probably make Rice a Roni to accompany. I'm afraid we're out of vegetables. I need to go to the store, but I'm too tired.

I think I'll take a nap before I try and cook. Dinner will be late. I don't think DD will mind, though; she just had a frozen burrito (nuked) for an after school snack.