Menu

S/O: What Is Your Favorite Fictional Book?

It seems like a lot of people share my favorites list :-) Can't pick just one!

All of the books in the Outlander series

Harry Potter

Chronicles of Narnia

Lord of the Rings series

Audrey Niffenegger is also looking like she'll be contributing to my alltime favorites list quite a bit, I loved both time traveler's wife and her fearful symmetry

I love Stephanie! But I've been really disappointed in JE the last few books. She just doesn't seem to be feeling it anymore.

What age range is Mixed up Files for? I can't remember, but I do remember loving that book. Since we do go to the Met occassionally, I think I'd like my 8yo to read it. He'd get a kick out of it.

I understand being disappointed in the last few books. I really didn't care for the 15 one but thought the new 16 one was better although I am a Stephanie/Ranger fan and that relationship frustrates me to no end.

For the Mixed Up Files, I think it depends on how well your child reads. My daughter read it when she was 7 or 8 and she loved it. My soon to be 7 year old will be reading it this year for school. It doesn't however appear on Sonlight's book list until Core 100 which is for approx grades 7-11 depending on their catalog. I think I first read it in 3rd or 4th grade. I think it just appeals to such a wide age range. If your ds is familiar with the Met, I am sure he would get a kick out of it.

There are a few Anne Tyler books that I love and can read over and over...The Accidental Tourist and Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant most particularly. And I think Absalom, Absalom and Delta Wedding are pretty much the best things ever, but I can't read them over and over. Especially Absalom...it wears me out.

There's just something about Jamie. ;) it's been almost 8 years since I read it. I think it's time for me to read it again! Her friend, Sara Donati, writes great books as well and weaves Jamie and Clair into her stories!

Oh yes, read it again! And then make sure you've read all the sequels too! There's another one coming out at some point. I can't wait!!!

I never heard of Sara Donati, I'll have to look into that!

I admit...basically all my reading for enjoyment might fall under the category of fluff.

These are the ones that chronically make it onto my nightstand:

All of the Harry Potter books

Basically anything by Frank Peretti, but mostly This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness

and Calvin and Hobbes :lol:

Right now - the top three books that I can pick up and read and re-read and re-read again without being sick of them would probably be:

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

I just read this, based on someone recommending it here and thought it was excellent. Bummed that we have to wait until next year for the next one to come out.

I love Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne.

Is there a book that you've read over and over and never get tired of? What is your favorite fictional book of all-time?

I think for me, it would The Thorn Birds. It's just one of those books that I've read countless times and never get tired of. My second runner-up would be Gone With the Wind.

You might also like Through a Glass Darkly.

Anything by James Thurber. I keep a collection of his humorous short stories in my nightstand.

Ooh, I love Thurber, too! Esp. 'Catbird Seat,' 'Memoirs of a Drudge,' 'The Day the Dam Broke,' etc., etc. ...

After that, I'm a total Anglophile. Books I've read too many times to count and which I enjoy more with each reading:

A Room with a View, and all the rest of E. M. Forster's books

The Nine Tailors, by Dorothy Sayers (& most of the rest of her books)

Hobbit/LoTR

Narnia

The Wind in the Willows

The Winnie-the-Pooh books

Alice & Through the Looking Glass

A Little Princess and The Secret Garden

Pretty much anything by Gene Stratton Porter but A Girl of the Limberlost is most special because it was my grandmother's favorite as well.

I've seen this recommended so many places! I must read it.

I actually prefer nonfiction, but I'll stay on-topic :001_smile:

Edited by Laura in CA

Ooh, I love Thurber, too! Esp. 'Catbird Seat,' 'Memoirs of a Drudge,' 'The Night the Dam Broke,' etc., etc. ...

After that, I'm a total Anglophile. Books I've read too many times to count and which I enjoy more with each reading:

A Room with a View, and all the rest of E. M. Forster's books

The Nine Tailors, by Dorothy Sayers (& most of the rest of her books)

Hobbit/LoTR

Narnia

The Wind in the Willows

The Winnie-the-Pooh books

Alice & Through the Looking Glass

A Little Princess and The Secret Garden

I've seen this recommended so many places! I must read it.

I actually prefer nonfiction, but I'll stay on-topic :001_smile:

Wow, are you my double?? I also prefer nonfiction as well as what you have listed although it has been quite a long time since I have read Sayers or Forster. And, in case you are interested, my name IRL is really Laura. Are you a redhead by chance LOL??

I really couldn't name just one...

Some of my favorites:

Katherine by Anya Seton

The Count of Monte Cristo Alexandre Dumas

The Eight by Katherine Neville

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Harry Potter Series J.K. Rowling

The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Tess of the d'Urbervilles Thomas Hardy

Annette Vallon James Tipton

Little Women Louisa May Alcott

To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee

And, I'm sure there are many that I can't think of right now....:001_smile:

The only book I can think of that I've read more than once is Candide.

Some of my favorites:

Jane Eyre

Pride and Prejudice

The Source

Pillars of the Earth and World Without End

Rebecca

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

The Stand

Handmaid's Tale

A few of my favorites...

The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje

The Secret History - Donna Tartt

The Garden of Eden - Ernest Hemingway

Fall on Your Knees - Ann-Marie MacDonald

my favorite of all the books I read in 2009 was The Help - Kathryn Stockett

I can't remember ever reading a book more than once other than good children's literature that I have read out loud to my kids, such as the Hobbit and the Narnia series- which I also read as a child.

Many of the books others have mentioned are also favourites of mine, with a place in my heart...but I still only read them once.

I am like that with movies too.

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset (Tiina Nunnally's translation is better, IMO.)

I haven't read this in thirty years, but you've inspired me to pull my old copy off the shelf and re-read it. I did love it the first time I read it.

I haven't read this in thirty years, but you've inspired me to pull my old copy off the shelf and re-read it. I did love it the first time I read it.
Give the new translation a try. Reading Nunnally's notes on the errors and omissions in the original translation, as well as the deliberate choice to use old fashioned stilted prose when the original work was apparently anything but, convinced me to give hers a try. I couldn't believe how much of a page turner it was... for all 1100 of them. :lol:

Wow, are you my double?? I also prefer nonfiction as well as what you have listed although it has been quite a long time since I have read Sayers or Forster. And, in case you are interested, my name IRL is really Laura. Are you a redhead by chance LOL??

Hi, Laura! Oh, that is too funny! Sorry, I'm not a redhead (dark brown). But you must be the sister I never had :001_smile:

I'll look out for your posts from now on -- we obviously have similar tastes!

~Laura

But... Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco is the book I re-read frequently.
I know more than one person who ended up infuriated by this book, but I loved it. Of course, I'm the only one I know who, upon finishing Infinite Jest, didn't throw it across the room -- though to be fair, the sample size is two. :lol: