Menu

Separate bedrooms?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband has been sleeping in the guest bedroom in the basement for a few weeks now. He can't stand the summer heat upstairs nor the whining puppy I have to take out for walks at 2 am. :)

He'll be back up when both issues are resolved. Until then I'm sort of enjoying the room!

Never say never!!!! My dh started snoring something terrible. I'd end up awake and angry and frustrated that I couldn't sleep. So, I started kicking him out! He usually ends up in dd's room. She still sleeps in our room. We all sleep better this way. Once he loses more weight and stops snoring, he can stay!! I need my sleep!

Well, I guess to each his own, but for me, it is very sad. I hope they do prove that co-sleeping with your spouse is better for your health. My DH and I could never give up the physical closeness that sleeping together provides us. We need to be physically close to each other for a significant amound of time. We cuddle for a long time before falling asleep and if either of us wakes up during the night, we will snuggle up next to the other some more before falling back to sleep. Many times in the middle of the night, If I wake up, I'll reach out and just carress his back. He may sleep through it, but it enriches and comforts me. And then, sometimes, he wakes up just enough to say, "Love you baby." And I say it back and then we fall asleep again. And every once in a while, these little moments turn into something more. Who would want to give up the possibility of this special time of intimacy and love being shared, no matter what time of the night it is? Not me. I can barely stand that we inhabit two seperate bodies. Two seperate beds would be intolerable.

Edited by katemary63

Never say never!!!! My dh started snoring something terrible. I'd end up awake and angry and frustrated that I couldn't sleep. So, I started kicking him out! He usually ends up in dd's room. She still sleeps in our room. We all sleep better this way. Once he loses more weight and stops snoring, he can stay!! I need my sleep!

When I was married my X got kicked to the couch. His snoring was unbearable! I was sleepless for the entire night.

About 10 years ago my husband's snoring got to the point that I was getting NO measurable sleep (it was possible to hear him OUTSIDE!)--and with my chronic health problems I was NOT doing so great...(I have psoriasis in my ears so earplugs are out)-- so I put my girls (only had 2 at that time) into one bedroom and I took the 3rd bedroom--I even purchased a new bed for ME! I kept my clothing in hubby's room--and I used the Master bath most of the time... buy I was a MUCH nicer and HEALTHIER person! At bedtime I would linger for a cuddle--but then off to my room and SLEEP!

DH ended up having some surgery that helped with his snoring (for a few years) but I still kept my own bedroom--because I ended up PG with youngest dd and I had terrible problems with my hips dislocating--I would SCREAM in pain--so this time it was DH who was not getting sleep... so I moved back into 'my' room.

Now DH is snoring worse than ever... he knows it will require an additional surgery--and he will HAVE to have it done eventually due to severe apnea issues (c-pap machine will not work for him). Until then I'm not sure what I will do as our girls have had their own rooms for the past 8 years... Oldest dd and middle dd have such different personalities (middle dd is our troubled child)... oldest dd is almost 20 and is a night owl... sharing a room with her baby sister (8) is not really an option. Our couch is nearly 20 years old--and is NOT good for sleeping on.. our theater room only has 'theater' seats--so while it is nice and quiet--it is NOT comfy for sleeping.

I'm thinking about getting a queen bed for youngest dd--but it would take up most of her room... then we can 'share'...

I was really hoping one of my girls would go AWAY for college... but alas--they are both staying home and commuting!

At least I 'should' get some sleep tonight--DH is out of town!!!

Jann

Edited by Jann in TX

Well, I guess to each his own, but for me, it is very sad. I hope they do prove that co-sleeping with your spouse is better for your health. My DH and I could never give up the physical closeness that sleeping together provides us. We need to be physically close to each other for a significant amound of time. We cuddle for a long time before falling asleep and if either of us wakes up during the night, we will snuggle up next to the other some more before falling back to sleep. Many times in the middle of the night, If I wake up, I'll reach out and just carress his back. He may sleep through it, but it enriches and comforts me. And then, sometimes, he wakes up just enough to say, "Love you baby." And I say it back and then we fall asleep again. And every once in a while, these little moments turn into something more. Who would want to give up the possibility of this special time of intimacy and love being shared, no matter what time of the night it is? Not me. I can barely stand that we inhabit two seperate bodies. Two seperate beds would be intolerable.

:iagree:

I can see temporarily sleeping apart but we would never make it a habit. For example, the first week after my husband's cervical fusion, he slept in the recliner and I slept next to him on the bed. I've slept on the couch when I had a terrible cough.

If either of us suffered from a physical problem that preventing our sleeping together on a regular basis, we would make the resolution of that problem our top priority.

Your post is lovely, and is exactly what it USED to be like for dh and I.

Then he was diagnosed with sleep apnea. He wears a cpap machine all night, every night. He also wears ear plugs. He has severe sleep apnea, and getting a good night's sleep is essential for his health.

Ever try to snuggle with someone wearing a cpap machine? It's not really possible. He also cannot talk while wearing it.

When he was diagnosed, he was in such bad shape that I was honestly worried for his life. I was so paranoid of disturbing his sleep that I would literally lay as still as I could. And if I had to sneeze or cough? Forget about it. I was a wreck; I was so worried about disturbing HIS sleep that I wasn't getting any sleep.

We moved a second bed into our bedroom so that *I* could get some sleep. We have always shared our full size bed; all of a sudden, we were just too close to each other for me to feel comfortable rolling over in the night, 'cause I was worried I'd wake him up.

So, for now, we do our sleeping in seperate beds that are right next to each other. We plan on moving sometime next year, and will be replacing our two beds with a king size bed when we do.

Not to get too personal, but we are diligent about making sure that we get plenty of snuggle/cuddle/pillow talk/prayer time together. We want to keep our marriage healthy. Just when we are actually ready to go to sleep, we do so in our own beds. That way, we both sleep as well as we can.

Guest janainaz

Well, when both of my kids were born and I was the one up ALONE dealing with them, and breastfeeding, dh could not handle the interruption of his sleep. So we ended up sleeping apart for several years and recently we have our bed back.

I was the person who said I would never have my kids in my bed. The thought actually made me angry. But when my first ds was born, I could not sleep with him anywhere but next to me and it felt very natural. Dh did not want him, as a toddler, on the other side of our house and so he continued to sleep with me. Then, ds2 came and the cycle started all over again. I could not listen to my child cry in the crib. I could not physically handle it I tried and it killed me. It felt unnatural.

Is it great for married couples to sleep apart? No. But nothing in life is exactly perfect and I'm much more tolerant and understanding and slow to make judgments about things now as a result. Pretty much every thing I said I would never do as a mohter, I've done.

And now we are readjusting to sleeping next to each other again. Not perfect, not pretty, but that's life sometimes.

Dh and I have been together for 18 years and have always had our own bedrooms, and almost always preferred to sleep apart.

We both love the arrangement. Our bedrooms are close. dh has a huge TV plus a computer, in his room and he is a night owl.He also has the master bedroom with ensuite because...well he has more clothes and needs it.I have the most beautiful room with afternoon sunlight and a tree outside.Everyone loves my room. It is a real sanctuary. it is just how I love it. I am an early morning riser, and go to bed early. I read a lot and meditate. It is perfect.

It works well for us. We would not survive sharing a room. We love it. We sometimes have afternoon naps together. Until dd was 11 or so, the kids shared a room though. That worked well too. And I did family bed a lot too- but not dh.

Takes all types, eh? I found the articles reasons for sharing to in no way compensate for the benefits of having our own private space. The fact that dh has mostlyworked from home,and we see plenty of each other factors in there too.

I would prefer to use ear plugs or solve the snoring problem then loose my bed partner.

We're working on that. Dh needs to lose the weight. His snoring is a bit better, but I still can't sleep through it.

I need to be able to hear as I have two children who sleepwalk. Dh sleeps right through it.

For now, this is what works for us! We start out together and end up separate. Believe me, there's no affection lost. Really:)

I don't think anyone would say, "never," but making it a permanent thing would be something I would try to avoid at all costs. My dh feels the same way.

When i was married to my ex, we did sleep in different beds in the same room, the in different beds/diff rooms. Then we got a divorce. Us sleeping apart was a direct result of us really not wanting to be anywhere near each other. Okay, well that was MY reason, anyway. He had little choice.

My husband has been sleeping in the guest bedroom in the basement for a few weeks now. He can't stand the summer heat upstairs nor the whining puppy I have to take out for walks at 2 am. :)

He'll be back up when both issues are resolved. Until then I'm sort of enjoying the room!

We're doing something similar. We fixed up our glassed-in porch, which had become something of a clutter magnet, and it's much cooler out there at night. I get cold easily, so I actually prefer the warm bedroom. I think it's also helping him to calm down, as he's working a lot of extra hours right now, and when I go night owl or he's coming in at all hours we can seriously disrupt each other's sleep. That ability to go from half-conscious to REM sleep we seemed to possess when the kids were babies has left us.

Anyway, we haven't slept apart in...sixteen years? It's nice when you know it's only a temporary change in a long marital arc.

I found the articles reasons for sharing to in no way compensate for the benefits of having our own private space. The fact that dh has mostlyworked from home,and we see plenty of each other factors in there too.

See, dh and I have our own space. He has his man room and I have my office/school room. His man room is large and full of his decor, hobbies, etc. and my office has all of my books. I love that room. However, our bedroom is a place where we come together...

:iagree: I couldn't have said it better....even through 5 pregnancies, babies, various illnesses and stresses.....being able to cuddle together and feel each other near is a balm to the soul.

If you take an early sleeper, and wake her at midnight and she doesn't get back to sleep, but has to rise early and wake HIM, who wakes and can't get back to sleep at 5 a.m. and combine it with heavy snoring and a radically different opinion on optimal temp and bedding, and a pair in which one partner does not watch TV and the other thinks falling asleep with a TV on is a dream come true, and you find yourself with two people who are delighted to have separate rooms.

I can see temporarily sleeping apart but we would never make it a habit. For example, the first week after my husband's cervical fusion, he slept in the recliner and I slept next to him on the bed. I've slept on the couch when I had a terrible cough.

If either of us suffered from a physical problem that preventing our sleeping together on a regular basis, we would make the resolution of that problem our top priority.

:iagree:I totally understand sleeping apart for medical reasons. But I would also make it a priority to solve what ever problem was causing the separation. But as always, what ever works for each couple.

I could've written this myself!:001_smile:

It sounds like you have a need for a lot of physical connection.

I use earplugs, and they allow me to sleep with DH. I like that, though I am not as craving for physical touch as you are. If DH woke me rubbing my back, I would be pretty annoyed. I love him, but sleep is sleep:)

I would be very sad if the earplugs didn't work, because I like being in bed with DH. I like going to bed together and just being there together. I would really be sad if something changed that. But sleep deprivation is a horrible thing. I think if it got bad enough, in the end, I would choose to sleep elsewhere rather than not sleep at the minimum requirement level.

Well, dh and I have one bed, but don't usually sleep in it at the same time. Depending on how the survey questions were worded, I don't sleep together with my dh the majority of the time, and therefore might get counted as not sharing a bed. I could understand a higher percentage of this, as there is a high percentage of this in my extended family. Opposite schedules can be helpful when balancing children without paying for childcare.

:iagree: I find it sad that a few of our 40-something friends have resorted to sleeping apart for one reason or another. We always thought that was for old people....

I'm one of those who think "whatever works for you" is what you should go with. If you can keep your marriage strong and sleep in seperate beds, then go for it. If you can't, then sleep together. People have different needs.

During the 10 years we've been married, DH and I have slept apart and together. The apart didn't come until after we had our second child. We were co-sleeping with two kiddos then, sleep is important, and the bed was getting crowded. So the kids and I slept in a king bed for a while and DH took our queen. It was fine. Ideal? Maybe not, but it worked for us for that time in our lives. Some people really dislike co-sleeping with their children. For me, I couldn't stand sleeping apart from them. It really is a bonding experience. There's nothing sweeter than cuddling your sleeping child as they sleep. And it's just for a season.

As long as your marriage is strong and you can keep it that way, then you do whatever works for your family during the time being.

Well...I'm actually sleeping in the recliner right now in our living room. I have been having a lot of pain in my left shoulder and neck area. I have a really bad habit of turning on my left side in the bed. I've done it for years. I guess years of being in that position and being over 40 have taken their toll.

I've been trying it for about 2 weeks. In the recliner, I can't turn on my side, and my pain is almost gone. I don't know what the permanent solution will be, though.

I don't think it is good, but if it's necessary, I don't think it will make or break a good marriage.

I have asked dh for years to get a sleep study done because I'm 99.9% sure he has sleep apnea, and I cannot tolerate the snoring. He keeps saying he will, but he never does. After years of kicking, pushing, smacking him with a pillow and then getting angry with him about the snoring, I decided to put a daybed in my scrapbooking room, and I pretty much just sleep there. I get sleep and that makes me a much nicer person.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

My dh and I sleep in seperate rooms. He snores so loud that I cannot fall asleep and he also has restless leg syndrome and shakes the bed. I have night terrors. It is almost comical to imagine us sleeping in the same bed, which we did for years. We switched to seperate beds last November. While his dad was visiting my dh accidently kicked my leg in his sleep and it set off a night terror in me. I went screaming through the house waking his dad up and almost giving him a heart attack! :lol::lol:

Well, night terrors can be relieved somewhat by sleeping with a tv on and my dh cannot sleep unless it is pitch black and quiet. So, I sleep in a seperate room with the TV on.

same EXACT thing here!!! waiting for CPS to come knocking when dd says her dad sleeps in her bed. hoping they will follow up with, "where do you sleep?"

robin in NJ

Snoring: Dh used to snore until we had him dx'd with sleep apnea. For those of you with snoring spouses (or if you snore) and if you have insurance, get dx'd. It's soooo worth it. I was like that previous poster who said she lie in bed as still as possible to keep from waking her dh. If you know someone w/ sleep apnea, then you know what I mean. I would accidentally brush the sheets with my fingertips and the rustle would wake him (because he was sleeping so lightly.)

My poor dh was having severe memory issues before we finally got him dx'd. Why did we wait for it to get so bad? I would encourage anyone w/ snoring issues to have them checked into. Sleep apnea is pretty serious and affects your heart, increases risks of strokes, memory, etc.

With that said, I would LOVE to have a separate room like Peela. But dh is a "touch" person and would be hurt at the mere thought that I would want a separate room. I don't see the big deal.

Before he was dx'd, neither of us got sleep. Now that he wears the CPAP, once we're serious about sleeping, the cuddling/talking is over for the night. And he's got some killer bad breath at night. So bad, that it can wake me from a deep sleep. I have to purposely sleep with my back toward him, or wait until his back is toward me or the smell wakes me up.

I wouldn't mind spending time together and cuddling, and then going our separate ways for the actual sleeping. But I'm not a "touch" person at all. In fact, today they said at church, "Take the hand of the person next to you while we pray" and I about bolted from the room. I really hate touching people I don't know. So, I don't need a lot of cuddling at home. So, sleeping together doesn't really matter to me so much.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5197440.stm

Bed sharing 'drains men's brains'

I sometimes kick my son out of his bed & make his sleep with dh while I get a night alone in ds's room. HEAVEN.

I think not just the snoring, but the shifting, moving, twitching etc keeps me from falling into a deep sleep. I certainly feel more refreshed after sleeping solo.

One thing that does help is seperate duvets, so there's no fighting for covers & I think we disturb each other less. Also a king size bed so there's room to get away from the other person.

Touching??!!! Eeeeeeeeeeek. NO. GO. A.WAY.

My hubby has a CPAP. I still snuggle him every night that I go to bed at the same time he does. I stay next to until he sweats so much that I am soaking wet then I scoot over to the other size of the king size bed where the sheets are nice and dry and sleep the rest of the night. :001_smile:

Yep, exactly.

I also don't want my kids growing up thinking for any reason, said or unsaid, that living like roommates is a desirable thing for a marriage. I understand the need for separate spaces, particularly in a medical circumstance, but, as others said, only temporarily while we work out a way to get back to sharing a room! I *love* having our own room where we can read and talk and share all kinds of time without the kiddos. :)

You can't intuit, ascertain or conclude anything about the quality of marriage based on sleeping arrangements alone. In context of other elements, yes, but based on sleeping or bedrooms? Nope.

I would, however, say that you can assume someone so tied to an absolute in this area or someone who feels it it news or investigative worthy probably needs something else to worry about.

PS: This is posted with inclusive mindedness in sleep choices. You can't make accurate assumptions based on babies sleeping alone, the family bed, spouses having separate bedrooms, etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5197440.stm

Bed sharing 'drains men's brains'

I sometimes kick my son out of his bed & make his sleep with dh while I get a night alone in ds's room. HEAVEN.

I think not just the snoring, but the shifting, moving, twitching etc keeps me from falling into a deep sleep. I certainly feel more refreshed after sleeping solo.

One thing that does help is seperate duvets, so there's no fighting for covers & I think we disturb each other less. Also a king size bed so there's room to get away from the other person.

Touching??!!! Eeeeeeeeeeek. NO. GO. A.WAY.

:tongue_smilie:This made me laugh because two years ago hubby and I went from a king size bed to a full. One good couple friend of ours was totally shocked and thought it would be horrible. It wasn't and I don't really notice that much of a difference.

:tongue_smilie:This made me laugh because two years ago hubby and I went from a king size bed to a full. One good couple friend of ours was totally shocked and thought it would be horrible. It wasn't and I don't really notice that much of a difference.

We have done it while on trips. As far as I'm concerned, it's hell. Dh is 6'4" and he sleeps diagonally because apparently he cannot tuck or curl up - he must sprawl & stretch. :glare: My 'half' of the bed consists of the two triangles formed on opposite sides of the diagonal. As far as square footage goes, it is all fair, of course. Mine is just not contiguous territory :D

For most of our 9 year marriage my husband worked second shift and so we rarely slept together in the same bed(even on weekends he was on a 2nd shift sleeping pattern). Now for a year he has been on 1st shift and it has been very hard to get used to him being there.

I am a light sleeper. I wake up to any noise or movement and I abhor body heat. Ugh. So I do not sleep as well with my husband as I do without him. Does that mean I love him less? Nope! Our marriage is strong as is the "pillow talk."

Unfortunately we can't have separate beds or bedrooms at this point because of the size of our bedrooms and house, but if that were ever an option...I'd love it!!! Hubs and I joke all the time that we wish we lived in the 50's when it was more acceptable to sleep apart.

Dh and I have never slept in anything but a full-sized bed. I grew up in a twin bed, so I just figured a full was big enough for the two of us. I thought anything bigger was a luxury... I was surprised at how many people upgrade to Queen and King beds. More proof that I grew up under a rock.

K

We have done it while on trips. As far as I'm concerned, it's hell. Dh is 6'4" and he sleeps diagonally because apparently he cannot tuck or curl up - he must sprawl & stretch. :glare: My 'half' of the bed consists of the two triangles formed on opposite sides of the diagonal. As far as square footage goes, it is all fair, of course. Mine is just not contiguous territory :D

Ha! Sounds like a geometry lesson!

I have been known to wake dh up and let him know it's not nice for him to take his half out of the middle.