Menu

Anyone else totally addicted to school supplies?

Diviya

My kids go through a lot of glue sticks, I must say.

I bought 4 composition books but NO NOTEBOOKS, and no. more. pencils. My mom brings my kids a box of crayons every time she visits (which is often!) and they rarely use them, so no more crayons for us....

School supplies, office supplies, I love it all.

That said, because this is our first "official" homeschooling year, I'm not feeling a burning need to acquire school supplies at back-to-school sales because I just don't know what we might need! I figure we'll sort it out as we go along.

I've loved school supplies since I was little. I wonder if there's a connection between the type of person who loves school supplies and the type who chooses to homeschool? Hmmm. :D

We have every kind of school supply left over from last year, but I guarantee that we're still going to stock up. I just can't resist!

I was wondering the same thing.

I'm a self-proclaimed office/school supply nerd. I love them! Composition books are my biggest weakness (but not the only one). :D

I DID NOT KNOW about teacher rewards at Staples!! What is it and how do I get it?? :lol: I go for the penny items and rebates, etc. but always can only do the limit...someone link me!

Just ask them about it. I had to show "proof" that I'm a homeschooler.

How do you find out when the 1 cent sales are?!?

I'm on their emailing list. I'm pretty sure I was signed up when I got my teacher card.

When I was a kid, I remember being so excited about getting new clean notebooks...I remember just smelling the new paper and practice writing my name before actually writing them on my notebooks. Then, I was introduced to those little labelers that you click your name out with!!!

One year for Christmas, when I was young, my mom filled a box with all kinds of notebooks, pens, crayons, etc. I LOVED IT! This made me so happy... :) I wrote and colored for months with this wonderful supply. I'm still that way, truly.

My thing is that every year I feel a bit bad (not too much, just a little) that my kids aren't getting the Letter From The New Teacher, telling us what school supplies to buy for the classroom. So, I take them out shopping and buy things on sale that we may or may not need (like new crayons every year...lol). It only costs a few dollars, but it makes me feel better and it satisfies my addiction. ;)

Pam

*raises hand*

Hi.

My name is Hockey Mom...and I'm a school supply addict.

(((hello hockey mom!)))

My addiction started with the usual...crayons, glue sticks, notebooks...but then, Michael's had this really great sale on tempera paints, and I bought every color of the rainbow. I started receiving Oriental Trading sale emails in my inbox and thought I could just look without buying...

(((heads nod knowingly around the room)))

When my cart reached $100, and I qualified for the free shipping, I placed my order...swearing that this would be the last order of school supplies for the year.

But then....

*takes a deep breath*

Target decorated their store with paper scissors that hung from the ceiling, and bright, beautiful boxes of crayons...each with perfectly pointed tips and paper wrappers in place. I don't know what came over me. I knew I didn't need more crayons...yet...I walked straight to the back-to-school area (formerly the outdoor patio furniture area), and loaded up on highlighters, and mini dry erase boards, and even....accessories for a locker that I don't have.

(((audible gasp)))

I realized then, that I had hit bottom.

:D

So funny! Thanks for making me laugh out loud!

Pam

Then I saw colors for 30 cents a box( 24 pack), and I just paid $2.47 for a 48 pack just 1week ago at the same Walmart. :glare: So I ended up with 4 or 5 boxes of those.

Yes, why are the 48-count crayon boxes so much more expensive?? They're the perfect number (for us, anyway) but I can't stand spending so much for them when a 24-count pkg is 25 cents!

Pam

I have always loved them! In college, I was the only one who always carried a little stapler in my backpack, just in case!

I love school/office supplies, but I love shopping for supplies even more! My mother gave me several 3" binders today. I was thrilled, but at the same time, I was a little sad that I don't get to lug them up to a checkout and wait in line. Ah well, now I have more money for dry-erase markers, post-its, glue sticks...:D

Now you have a need for new, sharp, lovely crayons, and after saving all that money on gifts for friends by making them, you certainly deserve to spend a piddly few cents on new ones, right?

My name is urpedonmommy, and I am an enabler.:D

I found this: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-recycle-those-crayon-stubs-into-a-swell-hom/ to make pretty recycled crayons that my kids would fight each other to use! :) Seems like we have a project in the works! thanks for the idea to get us started. I couldn't throw them out. But I will just buy more because I'm addicted to new crayons.

And I went to Staples tonight. I bought the 1cent folders, some notebook paper, Pencils, and looked at a lot of stuff that I would have bought if my checking account wasn't almost a goose egg. ;)

BUT if you have a membership card to your homeschool association, they will grant you the teacher benefits! I was able to pick-up 25 of the folders rather than 10.

And I'm convinced that I need a label maker. right. now. :auto:

Edited by jannylynn

Add me to the list. I have to say though that I am insanely jealous of you guys being able to shop the sales right now. We are living overseas and I feel like I'm missing out on deals big time. That said, the office supple/paper/art stores here in Europe are SO nice and I love looking at the different products they have available. The problem is that these items are REALLY expensive here. I thought about having my mom shop staples for me (she's in Florida) and then ship everything over, but the shipping will eat the costs of the savings.

I have to say though that I am insanely jealous of you guys being able to shop the sales right now. We are living overseas and I feel like I'm missing out on deals big time.

Me too!!! I'm reading this thinking I have to send a detailed shopping list to my mom for the next time she sends us a package! We DO have glue sticks available here, but no pretty colored pocket folders! Well, it probably helps my pocketbook in the long run that I don't have those options nearby, since I can't resist anything colorful and so practical :tongue_smilie:.

I love back to school sales time! I have already been checking out Walmart, Target & Staples (I walked into Staples and took a couple of big sniffs, love that school supply smell :D) ....and thanks to a PP I have now discovered Lakeshore Learning and that I only live a 1/2 hour from one. :hurray:

I have always loved them! In college, I was the only one who always carried a little stapler in my backpack, just in case!

I still have my little stapler! :) I had people gather around to examine my white out and mechanical pencil collection. One classmate gave me money to bring a selection back from my hometown! ;)

OK, I just got back from Costco, and I did buy another 6-shelf stacking thingy. I realize now that I DO NEED TWO of them (because I also bought more school supplies at another store on the way home, and they'll need a place to sit, right?) But I did not buy any more pencils, so that was a moral victory of sorts.

Any luck at Mom's, Kleine Hexe?

Anyway, I'm done shopping for next fall. I'm done with scheduling and curriculum planning and buying. I am going to take a break for a month and not buy ANYTHING school related.

(Reminder to self: Do not go to WTM Forums. Do not go to WTM Forums. Stay away from the Hive for a month.)

So, have a great month everyone! (and I'll probably check in sometime tomorrow...)

• 11 months later...
Here's the Write & Wipe Globe, I was planning on purchasing this anyway to use while we're studying SOTW and Geography:

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CsearchResults~~p%7C2534374302100914~~.jsp

The little caddy is just a little plastic thing to tote around some of our math supplies:

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CsearchResults~~p%7C2534374302102269~~.jsp

Yeah, I also look at those school lists and pity the people that get all the fun taken out of going school supply shopping.

Ah, I should have kept reading before replying!

Yep ... I loved the 6 spiral bound, college-ruled notebooks I got at Walmart today for 20 cents each .... and the two reams of college ruled notebook paper for 75 cents....

I longingly walked past the crayons, inhaled deeply that wonderful waxy smell... and kept going. My kids are teens, and past the crayon stage. They love markers and colored pencils now. :)

:thumbup: me too!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just confessing to a dear friend that I found my pulse quickening while perusing the sales ads & all the new supplies therein.

(I admit, it's probably not normal for the average person...........but I never claimed to be normal, either! :tongue_smilie:)

Love to go into our school room and see all the neatly packaged school supplies stacked on our shelves and sitting on the desks...before the monsters come in and mess up my evidence of an addiction. Can't we just buy all these pretties and not let them use them?? If only that worked!

I bought 25 bottles of glue at Staples this week. I recently sorted though our school supply stash, and I had 8 bottles left from last year. But at a penny a piece, I couldn't not buy the limit :001_unsure:.

I also bought 25 packs of pens. But those are for a Very Good Reason :001_huh:.

That's all I care to discuss--I'm not going to mention the stacks of folders or notebooks or pencils or colored pencils or dry erase markers or sharpies or.... :001_tt2:.

I was a math manipulative fiend, only to discover I had a child who would rather do it in his head.

I cope by buying smaller amounts of quality. I like the fancy binders from Staples. We use Staedtler's pencils and the Dover coloring books. While I probably spend the same amount, there is less clutter.