Menu

After all of these years, I'm still not getting it right (sigh)

My dc spent a week at VBS and they were all so happy there - They never look that happy hsing. Their teachers were cheerful and had fun things/ways to teach them - I just make them work hard. They wanted their days to go on and on - they can't wait until hschool is over each day.

Why can't I be more like the VBS teachers? I am so bottom line, net-net in my thinking. It was great during my career but does not bring good results at home.

My dc are smart and have learned lots. They like to learn. I am the problem. I am serious, do not enjoy projects AT ALL, and cannot relax. I am constantly worried that we are missing something, not doing enough, behind.

Moreover, I do not know how to be fun during school. I am just trying to get things done, let alone be fun!

I could use some VERY simple ideas for adding some VBS fun/attitudes into my teaching and our days, keeping in mind that I am not crafty or project driven. I also do not like "stuff."

I am talking about teaching a preK4, 2nd grader, and 4th grader.

What simple schedule/things/curriculum would you use to make school more pleasant for the kids but not onerous on me.

I remember being at a talk where SWB said she wished her mother had been less worried and smiled more. That's me. I forget to smile and sound like a drill sergeant all day long. :(

My dc are smart and have learned lots. They like to learn. I am the problem. I am serious, do not enjoy projects AT ALL, and cannot relax. I am constantly worried that we are missing something, not doing enough, behind.

Moreover, I do not know how to be fun during school. I am just trying to get things done, let alone be fun!

I remember being at a talk where SWB said she wished her mother had been less worried and smiled more. That's me. I forget to smile and sound like a drill sergeant all day long. :(

I'm right there with you. My kids ask me why I frown so much.....

I have no advice, just :grouphug:

Is there some way you could make reasonable goals, and once you get there to SLACK off the rest of the day/week/month? This is how I control my tendencies.

P.s. I had a work-a-holic mother (gardening, cleaning, handiwork, complex meals served on linen and china, etc) who I thought was a real drag when I was little. I was tolerant of her by 9, but adored her from about 19 on. I now see why she did what she did, am grateful she did it, and have followed her footsteps, even though my son certainly sees his dad as a lot more "fun".

:grouphug: I am not very fun when doing school either! Try not to compare yourself to those VBS teachers though--they are doing this for one week for a couple of hours a day with children that they are sending home at the end of the day. They also have a very well-planned curriculum to follow. Even they would be less fun if they had to teach the same kids every day, all year, keep them with them when school is over and come up with their own great ideas! Hang in there!

So many of us can relate to this because we have so much planning and organizing to do in addition to the actual schooling. But, when my kiddos were that age, I remember reading a simple tip that was fun for awhile, at least! Make one day a week a specific "color day". Say, on Monday, it's "Purple Day" and you can only use purple pens, wear purple clothes etc. Get the kids to think of all the ways to make purple part of their school work!

Another thing is to make room in the schedule for a really easy going relaxing day for crafts or art or something apart from the books. Now, that said, this requires even MORE planning, I know but there are some activity books out there with ideas for holiday stuff etc. VBS probably do more crafts and such and at this age doing "projects" is way more fun than a sheet of math although math can be fun if you use ral money, get a kid's cash register etc.......

Don't beat yourself up over this though! At least now - the angst only gets worse in high school:D.

Mary

Because the VBS teachers only have to be cheerful for a week. :D I bet I could pull off a week, but after that it's back to business.

Exactly. Because VBS is something completely unrealistic to compare yourself to. VBS lasts ONE week.

I could have a super fun craft, do skits, sing songs, play fun games, pass out stickers, and create amazing snacks for ONE week.

I could use some VERY simple ideas for adding some VBS fun/attitudes into my teaching and our days, keeping in mind that I am not crafty or project driven. I also do not like "stuff."

I am talking about teaching a preK4, 2nd grader, and 4th grader.

Children this age will benefit greatly from lots of crafts and 'stuff' they can make/do. I think you need to work on getting past Your hangup about 'stuff' and not being crafty, provide the supplies and ideas for Them (can totally be a tie-in with a school subject from that day/week) and let them have some fun. Call it 'arts and crafts' and count is as school work, tell yourself you are 'behind' in the arts and crafts department and the 'joy of homeschooling' too, and find a way to relax that works for you. Meditate/pray through out the day to 'center' yourself.

BTDT too! I have a tendency to get too serious, but really I had to re-train myself to do projects and "fun" stuff for the sake of my children. I want them to enjoy learning and not dread school each day....I mean I could send them to school for that! Could you make yourself do a project type thing once a week? What about role playing? Do you do field trips? I am sorry you are frustrated but know that you can make some sort of adjustment so that both you and your kids can have more fun. There is a time and a place for seriousness and the children need to know that and can likely accept it better if they know something more "fun" is coming.

With my first grader, I start out with fun sticker pages or mazes then move on to tougher stuff. If I can, I incorporate coloring and stickers into math (counting, etc.) With my 4th grader, dh plays a game with him before we start school.

For me, the frowns and rushing through school come from stress of having to finish in a tight time frame. Since dh has been laid off, I'm working in the afternoons. Dh will help with school some but really doesn't like to. If I need to, I leave the subjects he enjoys for him to work on while I'm gone.

I used to do a lot of projects with the kids (even though I hate them). I take pictures of the projects after a few weeks and just keep those. We have a small house and stuff piles up quickly.

It's a conscious effort to smile. I try really, really hard.

Two of my most popular fun homeschool things are songs and theme snacks. I don't do it every week, but often enough to keep things lighthearted.

Search on YouTube for songs/videos related to whatever topic you are teaching. Find a few funny ones the kids can watch over and over. (Prescreen - YouTube videos can be wildly inappropriate).

Another fun thing I do is choose a motivational pop song as our theme for the week, and then play it regularly during the school day. "U Can't Touch This" was a fun, fun week.

Google whatever topic you are working on to find themed snacks. Reading Journey To the Center of the Earth? Make volcano cupcakes by placing a chocolate cupcake upside down on a plate. Let the kids frost with some orange lava frosting and cookie crumble rocks. Geography? Make a sugar cookie in the shape of your state. Kids use toppings to add features like rivers and mountains. This can be done with pizza too. :)

Good luck and have fun!

My dc spent a week at VBS and they were all so happy there - They never look that happy hsing. Their teachers were cheerful and had fun things/ways to teach them - I just make them work hard. They wanted their days to go on and on - they can't wait until hschool is over each day.

I was a fun, energetic VBS teacher last week, but in real life there is no way to maintain that level of energy. There is a reason VBS only lasts one week!

Having said that, my favorite curriculum for little ones is Five in a Row. It's hard to be stressed out while cuddled up reading a delightful book. The activities don't have to be in depth projects, and there are lots of quick printables available on homeschoolshare.com. FIAR time has become my favorite part of the school day.

I was tolerant of her by 9, but adored her from about 19 on. I now see why she did what she did, am grateful she did it, and have followed her footsteps, even though my son certainly sees his dad as a lot more "fun".

I think there is great truth here. I have accepted the probability that my dc may not fully appreciate me or our hs-ing until they are grown. I'm ok with that. I always saw my mom as sad and not involved with my life. As an adult, I have a much greater understanding of her struggles and can see so much more clearly where she did make efforts...and I love her for that!

As to your question for adding more fun: have you tried Readers Theater? We started doing this about two years ago and my kids love it...plus, it is purposeful, not just silly stuff. Reading aloud (especially for the age of your kids) is an excellent way for them to reinforce their reading skills, public speaking, comprehension, etc...I did some research on it at one time and was amazed at all that takes place while they are having fun!

We use these books:

Simply Shakespeare (Readers Theatre for Young People) edited by Jennifer Kroll

24 Tandem Bible Hero Storyscripts for Children's Ministry by Steven James

12 Fabulously Funny Fairy Tale Plays by Justin Martin

Readers Theater for American History by Fredericks

The best part is there is no prep work: all you have to do is copy the pages for each child. No mess. Nothing.

:grouphug: You are not alone. We should start a Downer-Mom Support Group :001_smile:

Edited by Debbie in OR

The VBS folks are NOT trying to get the kids to learn math, etc. - they ARE doing FUN stuff - you can't compete with VBS and you should not worry about it. Of course the kids are going to be happy little campers - they are out of the house for a week, doing new FUN stuff with lots of other kids. Not at all comparable to homeschool.

Have you ever seen a VBS teacher after VBS is over? I have - they're crashed on the couch, exhausted, crabby, and want a vacation.

Cut yourself some slack. The VBS teacher did it for a week. You do it for the whole year, year in, year out.

:grouphug: I am not very fun when doing school either! Try not to compare yourself to those VBS teachers though--they are doing this for one week for a couple of hours a day with children that they are sending home at the end of the day. They also have a very well-planned curriculum to follow. Even they would be less fun if they had to teach the same kids every day, all year, keep them with them when school is over and come up with their own great ideas! Hang in there!

:iagree:And they don't feel the responsiblity you do to prepare your children for the rest of their entire lives!! As homeschool moms we feel the pressure to get it right because we feel our children's futures rest on our shoulders. That can feel pretty overwhelming.

I started out feeling the way you do and there were moments when I was very grim indeed, but now I'm a bit of a goofball most of the time. I sing just for the fun of it (much to the chagrin of my children) and I joke a lot and I set school aside when the weather is great and I just let them play. I'm not sure how I got to be this way. I do take school seriously, but I don't sweat it. Perhaps if you thought about how you want your children not just to retain certain information and master certain skills, but truly enjoy the process of learning for learning's sake that would help.

Also, a friend of mine advised me, many years ago when I was a bit more neurotic about getting things done, that even if all I ever did was just keep my kids out of public school they were far better off than most kids. I really believe this is true. Just by keeping them home, they are more family oriented and more free to pursue their own interests.

My goal is not to get my children into Harvard, but to open up the world to them - intrigue them and pique their interest in all that is out there. I want them to get a vision for something that interests them and then run with it. I don't worry if they are not particularly good at the standard subjects most schools and homeschool curriculums cover. Mine will never be mathematicians or scientists. But we cover the basics and they are all delightful people. Ds23 and ds21, both of whom are graduated and no longer bound to any kind of academic pursuit, love to read and discuss theology, history, politics and computers (I have to admit that my eyes glaze over whenever that last topic comes up.:D). They are pursuing computers as a career and are very good at what they do. Dd17 loves piano and hopes to major in music - she hates algebra. Oh, well. I'm not too concerned - she'll be able to learn it if she ever really needs to. Ds 13 (will be 14 tomorrow!) is just like his older brothers only he has a bent for writing. Math is anathema to him. *sigh* This can all be very hard to take when it seems like the rest of the young men in my church/homeschool circle are off to engineering school. I could really let it get to me (ok, I admit, I have let it get to me on occasion). But, again, my overarching goal is for them to love to learn and delight in what they are learning, so I eventually get my perspective and my cheerful attitude back.

What are your goals for your children? What do you want them to eventually leave home at 18-25 years old with? What do you think are the most important things for people in general to come away from 12 years of education with? Seeing the big picture can sometimes help alleviate stress which can lead to a happier, les tense homeschool mom.

Some easy ideas to add to your day:

* Dance time (turn on music and dance around the house for one song)

* Sticker crafts - give the kids stickers and papers to create scenes or stories

* Outside relays for a short break during school - my kids used to love it when I would say, "Run around the tree, spin 2 times, then walk backward to the step and sit down."

* Make up stories for wordless picture books (Owly) or make up a new story for picture books (my dh gets lots of laughs)

* Serve dessert first

* Read under the table or in a funny location

* Mail your dc letters

HTH! I admire you for realizing you need to change. :001_smile:

I find breaking into song during tense moments lightens the mood. :D I'm so not kidding, we do a lot of spontaneous sing a longs in class. They have been known to be followed by a conga line around the house. Five minutes, tension broken, then back to business. :lol:

My kids love camp and VBS, too. I asked them a lot of questions and one of the things they kept bringing up was that they liked the schedule. I'm so not a schedule person. However, I worked with them to make a schedule and shazaam, they like it and don't fuss nearly as much. We added in board game time, card game time, crafts, tennis with mom, etc. Shockingly, my kids' schedule is more demanding than I would have made, but we do a pretty good job keeping up with it. With less complaining, we find we have loads more time for fun.

I agree with everyone else... it is unrealistic to compare yourself with VBS. :)

Since your kids like crafts, I would go to a craft store and buy supplies. You could set them up in containers of some sort and make them available at certain times. Then let the kids create stuff themselves. They should agree to help clean up whatever mess they make, or they take a break from the supplies. Beyond that, let them have at it. If they need some ideas, your local library should have craft books they could look at. My boys have made all sorts of things.... i.e. whole castles out of paper and tape... but I wasn't involved. :D They were more creative when I wasn't telling them what craft to make.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Because the VBS teachers only have to be cheerful for a week.

:lol: Exactly!

If you don't like "stuff" and crafts, how about just searching for something to add to your homeschool that allows you to be more mellow? Our afternoon poet-teas and weekly nature days do the trick for me. We read what we want to read while having fun (and sometimes fancy) snacks and enjoy nature rather than study it while we're actually out there. Both of these things work wonders as academic breathers, forcing me to stop thinking and allowing me to be in the moment.

Oh, and I'm going to be adding something like morning circle time here after breakfast next year. It will be great to have something all the kids can enjoy together.

If you don't feel up to the "big box of craft stuff," you can find mini-projects at the bookstore with series books that come with materials: Chicken Socks is wonderful for very young children, Klutz for older ones. We've gone through piles of these, ranging from outdoor activities (ball games, rockets, paper airplanes) to science (battery-powered inventions, Lego add-ons to make great machines) to artsy ones of all kinds.

Another easy way to lighten the load (for both them and yourself) is to turn some of the curriculum into game form. Peggy Kaye has a great set of books: Games For Learning, Games For Reading, Games For Writing, and Games For Math. All span grades K-5 or so; all take only simple materials like chalk, dice, rulers, cups, coins, paper; all are short, quick, require no complicated set-up. With them you can help your kids learn or practice to reinforce the very same sets of skills they would otherwise be "working" on through workbooks and textbooks or formal programs. The kids will get to move and jump around and be silly while still practicing perfectly serious academic skills.

I think your probably doing fine. SOme times it is not fun. It is school. And it lasts longer than a week. That said you asked for ideas so her are some:

have a sanck with read aloud , something simple like pocorn or cookies

play a learning games instead of workbooks occasionally. We tried to do this once a week when my son was little.

laugh at the silly things that happen

Pick a day, at least once every other week and do crafts.

What did your kids like about VBS? Ask them what they think would be fun. Not that you have to replicate VBS, but asking may gave you insight into some things you could add. Our VBS had a store where you could buy things. They earned "money" by learning verses and other stuff. My son loved it. So for a while we had a school store where he earned stuffby doing chores, finishing school on time etc. My son also loved the snacks. That is why when anyone posts a question about how to make school more interesting, I say add food. :001_smile:

As everyone has said, there's no comparison between hs and VBS. You have fun, fun, fun, a staff of dedicated individuals to decorate, entertain, and create an exciting environment, and nothing hard to learn.

If your kids liked it so much, it might be worth trying to pinpoint exactly what they liked about it. For example, our VBS does a lot of cheering and shouts. I didn't do this because of that, but we were covering the parts of speech during some drab winter months a few years ago so I made up cheers for each part. "Adjective, adjective, describes a noun. What is it like? Where is is found?" Okay, not my best work and kind of silly, but dd loved that and still loves to do the POS cheers whenever we revisit that subject in grammar.

So maybe you could distill those few elements that really resounded with your dc and introduce them into your schooling in some way.

Wow!

I really needed some perspective. I do still think I need to add some fun and levity but it was good to be reminded that VBS is not realistic. Why didn't I think of that? I just want my kids memories of hs to be good and joyful (along with hard work) and get down when I am not making it happen. Thank you for the ideas and encouragement. :001_smile:

One suggestion on crafts: Because of VBS and summer camps, Hobby Lobby and Michaels have a TON of nice, individually wrapped, everything you need in one package (except for maybe markers and glue, and sometimes even those) craft kits now, and they'll be on sale especially as we get into August. Same after every holiday. I keep a bunch of these on hand at all times, because that way I have the cute, crafty activities my DD loves when a day starts to drag, but don't have to come up with the ideas myself on a day that I'm already about two words from snapping. A lot of times I'll even be able to find something loosely related to a story we're doing.

Oriental trading works for this, too-but since most of their kits come 6 or 12 of the same thing to a package, it's better if you can get together with a friend or two and order together then divide them up.

Because the VBS teachers only have to be cheerful for a week. :D I bet I could pull off a week, but after that it's back to business.

:iagree: Yup. What she said.

The past three summers I ran the kids' ministry for a Christian festival. I was all smiles and energy because it only lasted 3-7 days. I even gave a pep talk to my volunteer staff that even if they don't feel like it they can put on a smile and act like they have energy while they're working. I wish I could keep that momentum going all the time and have that much energy with my kids for homeschool. Unfortunately, I just don't have it in me, no matter how much coffee I drink. ;)

I agree, you can't compare VBS with homeschooling....kinda like comparing vacation and living at home. VBS is supposed to be all about fun....yes, some learning is happening, but it's never meant to be as serious learning as homeschooling should be.

That said, though, there are ways to bring some fun into homeschooling. VBS curriculum typically comes in a box with everything you need to make it fun. Homeschooling and adding fun takes a little more planning but it's not impossible.

Google "making homeschool fun" and there are thousands of pages.

And smile instead of frowning will make YOU feel more happy about it too.

Wow!

I really needed some perspective. I do still think I need to add some fun and levity but it was good to be reminded that VBS is not realistic. Why didn't I think of that? I just want my kids memories of hs to be good and joyful (along with hard work) and get down when I am not making it happen. Thank you for the ideas and encouragement. :001_smile:

I'm the same, a field marshall, goal-driven, HS Mom. It's helpful to remind yourself WHY you are homeschooling. Why do you feel so much pressure? For us, the academics are secondary to the character and relationship reasons. Recognizing this may not be your picture. The perspective of priority and time (it's a long journey) often releases a load of anxiety.

While I'm fairly crafty, I don't have time to organize it all for the boys nor do I relish a big mess in the house. Kits are the way to go. There are plenty of activity in a box sources, everything from EINO Science to Heart and Hands for History. I also outsource the really messy art experiences.

Amazingly the boys are perfectly content and really think we have had a tremendous time if we do ONE craft per week, unlike VBS where it is a craft/day. Making just one small change in the week could have a big impact for you.

Well, to tell you the truth, my kids HATED VBS because they thought the teachers were all way too peppy! I thought they were all on speed :0. They have to be over-the-top peppy for one week. A homeschool mom has to steer the ship and man the oars all year long. Don't beat yourself up for having to be a task-master. That said, I do lament that I am not as fun a homeschooler as I used to be (homeschooling high school is definitely more work.)

If you really feel you need to find a balance between being the task-master and making school more fun, sit down and look over your plan. Where can you spice things up a little? Does everything have to feel like school or can it feel like a conversation? Can you find a way to lessen the load in some areas to choose some fun projects to do as a family? One thing that helps me is to co op with a couple families on a couple subjects (like science and history) so I don't have to come up with something all the time.

Children this age will benefit greatly from lots of crafts and 'stuff' they can make/do. I think you need to work on getting past Your hangup about 'stuff' and not being crafty, provide the supplies and ideas for Them (can totally be a tie-in with a school subject from that day/week) and let them have some fun. Call it 'arts and crafts' and count is as school work, tell yourself you are 'behind' in the arts and crafts department and the 'joy of homeschooling' too, and find a way to relax that works for you. Meditate/pray through out the day to 'center' yourself.

I REALLY Like this advice!!! I am very behind in Arts and Crafts and FUN! I am also behind in music appreciation and outdoor play.

Love it! Time to play catch up....Oh, i am behind in games and puzzles too.

Thanks..this is exactly the correct perspective.

I am encouraged.

Faithe

LOL!! Same here!

I think it is just the adventure of just leaving home for the day/week...

My ds is like that when he goes to a friend's house--he does not want to come home! Same thing happens when his friends come over here--they don't want to go home! It is something different, new, exciting...:grouphug:

My ds recently went to a Country Day Camp/VBS for a week, and he raved about it over and over... how fun it was, the games they played, crafts, cooking, etc. I started to get down on myself just as you are because I don't feel as if I'm a fun homeschooling mom either. I do try, and I'm getting better at dropping things for outside adventures or crafts (although I feel guilty and stressed internally that we're not going to finish "on time" - whatever that is!). The road we are on is long, and it's easy to let it overwhelm us. I completely understand where you are coming from, and the advice given thus far is wonderful; I am taking it to heart! Coming to these boards has helped me "relax" in so many ways.

Hang in there & give yourself grace. :) :grouphug:

When the kids giggle at something, I pause and let them giggle, and sometimes join in.

For example: I recently have started hanging my laundry on the line. We've been having a bit of a drought. Until today. I'm not in the habit of checking the weather for my laundry, so my laundry got rained on. Ds7 sort of chuckled and said, "That's kind of funny!" My first reaction was to start tp say that it wasn't really funny, that I might have to rewash it, blah blah. But really, it was kind of funny. So, I stopped and said, "Yeah, it is kind of funny." And we both just sat there looking through the window at the wet laundry and heh-heh'd about it.

I've found that if they think something is funny, that if I just Stop. and let the heh-hehing run it's course, and even join in, that it keeps things a lot lighter in the day.

Another example I just remembered: Something that we read the other day had the word "naked" in it. They started giggling, and I just paused and smiled along with them, and then resumed reading when the giggles were over.

Edited by Garga

VBS is really meant to be just a fun, summer camp. School is meant to prepare you for life. Life is not all fun and games every day. Children should not expect to be entertained all day so that they clamor for more. I don't know of any public/private school children who clamor for more school each day, so you are in good company....

Reading times are our most favorite things in the day (both of us). We try to incorporate that throughout the day. We also add in music and movies where we can, audio books, etc. We intersperse these more "fun" things with our written work. When my children were younger, I added in living books for subjects such as grammer and math, we played games that were language arts/math oriented, etc.

If you don't like projects (and I hate them, myself), what about field trips? We do tons of field trips during the course of the school year....

Guest RecumbentHeart

I'm totally like you. Have a curriculum like Little Hands To Heaven is what has made "school" fun for my child although I originally had no intention of doing their goofy phonics rhymes or drama play .. until I saw my little ones just light up over it all. They LOVE that stuff and stepping outside my norm is helping me grow. It is taking a LOT of work to act like one of those "good" Pre-K teachers that are actually fun but they don't seem to have noticed that I'm faking it still and I only have to pull it off for like .. 10 minutes .. longer if crafts are involved .. but still .. it helps having the curriculum hold my hand and tell me what to do because it does NOT come naturally and I can't think these things up by myself.

I'm sure there are other sources of help out there too and there is some great advice in this thread that I can totally benefit from myself!

The great thing about teaching VBS is that you're only "on" for about 40 minutes. At least that's how it is where we are. After that you rotate your class around to crafts and snacks and games where other people are in charge. And it's only for 1 week but at the end everyone is TIRED because it can be high energy. VBS is a sprint whereas homeschooling is a marathon. So I wouldn't try to compare the two.

But I do understand what you're saying. I tend towards the no fun drill sergeant too. In fact just last week my kids invented a nemesis for me. Rachel Moonshine. She has 10 kids, 5 boys and 5 girls and she is the perfect mom. So for a week they've been telling me how Rachel Moonshine does things better than me...it being life and parenting, not just homeschooling. Aren't they lovely? :tongue_smilie: Although this morning I made blueberry pancakes and sausage for breakfast (as opposed to our typical cold cereal) and my daughter said "Mommy you're acting just like Rachel Moonshine."

Uh...Thanks? :001_huh:

While I personally don't think I need to relax our school's academic standards we could stand a few more laughs and pats on the back. Cookies and milk after school like Rachel Moonshine does wouldn't hurt either...or so I've been told. :lol:

So many of us can relate to this because we have so much planning and organizing to do in addition to the actual schooling. But, when my kiddos were that age, I remember reading a simple tip that was fun for awhile, at least! Make one day a week a specific "color day". Say, on Monday, it's "Purple Day" and you can only use purple pens, wear purple clothes etc. Get the kids to think of all the ways to make purple part of their school work!

Two of my most popular fun homeschool things are songs and theme snacks. I don't do it every week, but often enough to keep things lighthearted.

Search on YouTube for songs/videos related to whatever topic you are teaching. Find a few funny ones the kids can watch over and over. (Prescreen - YouTube videos can be wildly inappropriate).

Another fun thing I do is choose a motivational pop song as our theme for the week, and then play it regularly during the school day. "U Can't Touch This" was a fun, fun week.

Google whatever topic you are working on to find themed snacks. Reading Journey To the Center of the Earth? Make volcano cupcakes by placing a chocolate cupcake upside down on a plate. Let the kids frost with some orange lava frosting and cookie crumble rocks. Geography? Make a sugar cookie in the shape of your state. Kids use toppings to add features like rivers and mountains. This can be done with pizza too. :)

Good luck and have fun!

Some easy ideas to add to your day:

* Dance time (turn on music and dance around the house for one song)

* Sticker crafts - give the kids stickers and papers to create scenes or stories

* Outside relays for a short break during school - my kids used to love it when I would say, "Run around the tree, spin 2 times, then walk backward to the step and sit down."

* Make up stories for wordless picture books (Owly) or make up a new story for picture books (my dh gets lots of laughs)

* Serve dessert first

* Read under the table or in a funny location

* Mail your dc letters

HTH! I admire you for realizing you need to change. :001_smile:

I find breaking into song during tense moments lightens the mood. :D I'm so not kidding, we do a lot of spontaneous sing a longs in class. They have been known to be followed by a conga line around the house. Five minutes, tension broken, then back to business. :lol:

I love all these! I definitely need to borrow some of them to lighten the mood around here sometimes!