Menu

What languages do you (or are you planning on teaching)?

We are doing Latin this year (second grade). I plan to start Spanish in a couple years. Our whole family wants to learn it. My husband is encouraged to learn a second language for work and that is the language of his choice. I would like to learn it because we have quite a few Spanish speaking people near us. It would be a great to be able to witness to them. I also would love to learn Japanese. My SIL married a Japanese man a couple years ago. We got to meet his parents a couple years ago and they still ask about our girls. It would be very cool to be able to communicate with them.

Latin and Spanish. Possibly French. I would also like to learn Swahili, but that is more something for me and not something I am planning on teaching the kids. My son asked to learned Greek, so he'll start that on his own next year (I know nothing about Greek).

I took Spanish from grades 4-12 and two years of college Latin, so I felt these were the two I could best teach myself. Plus, Latin (or at least the ability to Latin-ize) can help greatly in the learning of vocabulary and scientific terms. Our church started offering a free Spanish class last year since the Spanish-speaking population of our town is growing rapidly, so we take the class there as a family. Dh took high school French and a grad-level class in translational Spanish.

I am teaching my oldest Latin (Prima Latina) but the younger two will tag along otherwise they will get into trouble. We are using Apologia Science and it has latin words and that perked her interest in to learing more about Latin. I never took Latin in school so it's a learing experience for me too.

We are also learning, very slowly, Japaneese. I do not have a curriculum for that but a $30 progam that speaks the basics and the book, First Thousand Words In Japanese. We attend a church with quite a few Japanese and we are learning a bit of conversational Japaneese there.

We are going to start our first year of Latin with our DD. She'll be starting 1st grade in the fall and we'll be using Song School. That looked like it would be the best fit for us.

Later on down the line, we are thinking of teaching our kids French, German, and Tagalog (I am filipino, my husband is Caucasian).

Auslan is required as a home language here, so we'll try to focus on that until school age. We're not doing well because dd is language delayed, but she's only 3 so we've still got plenty of time. We need to make more resources suitable for her learning style then we'll be able to move forward again. I don't imagine much direct instruction will be required throughout their school years because this is only for home use.

Arabic Saturday School starts in grade one, so I'll start with some gentle stuff in the summer leading up to that. I chose that because I wanted their other spoken language to be an official UN language and Arabic seems to have more bang for the buck and time spent. It is also the language of the scary "Other" and I don't think that will change any time soon. Any insight Westerners can get can only help, and on a personal level, my kids won't need to believe the rubbish the media presents or fear the great unknown. Arabic is hard! So I think it will be our marathon language. They have to learn something in 12 years!

We'll start playing with Latin in K because there needs to be a break between that and Arabic. Their dad is interested in Latin so starting earlier rather than later than the Arabic makes sense. One should never waste a dad guy's enthusiasm! Having lots of time to gently acquire vocab before starting proper grammar study at a suitable age seems nice. When we finish studying Latin, I hope we can maintain it through reading. I don't know how much reading is required. I'm sure more is better, but I hope we can keep enough going that they don't forget it.

When they've finished Latin study I hope they'll take French. It is the second most important UN language, and there are sooooo many opportunities available if you have English and French, and even more if you have a third (hence the Arabic.) There's no way we could do French and Arabic together as young kids because I speak neither. I think the Latin will provide a strong foundation for the French, though, so when they are able to take French, they won't be starting completely from scratch and should be able to progress through it a bit quicker than they would otherwise and achieve higher levels before our time is up. If they want to pursue it after high school, they'll have a foundation to work of. If they don't, well it won't have killed them ;)

Rosie- hoping reality will look so good :D

We started French about 6 months ago (just after DD turned 4). Next summer we will add German. In late elementary/early middle school she will start Latin, and then in high school hopefully another modern language, which I'll allow her to pick.

I started French at the same time as DD. I'm starting German at the end of August. Once I have a good grasp of both languages, I'd like to add Spanish (well, continue my studies of. I have a basic understanding already) to communicate with more people and Portuguese because I've always been interested in Brazil. I had Latin in high school, but I'll probably review with DD.

French and German we are doing because I am learning them myself. I need to be proficient in both languages for graduate school, so since I'm already learning, might as well pass the knowledge on to DD. Latin because it helps with vocab. I'm letting her pick the final modern language because it seems fair. We'll discuss benefits to learning something like Arabic or Mandarin, a non-European language, but ultimately if she really wants to learn a certain language, I'll let her.

I am fairly new. To the forums so i have missed where you are living. Arabic is easier to learn as a second language than english is (i've heard) so your kids will do great!

Auslan is required as a home language here, so we'll try to focus on that until school age. We're not doing well because dd is language delayed, but she's only 3 so we've still got plenty of time. We need to make more resources suitable for her learning style then we'll be able to move forward again. I don't imagine much direct instruction will be required throughout their school years because this is only for home use.

Arabic Saturday School starts in grade one, so I'll start with some gentle stuff in the summer leading up to that. I chose that because I wanted their other spoken language to be an official UN language and Arabic seems to have more bang for the buck and time spent. It is also the language of the scary "Other" and I don't think that will change any time soon. Any insight Westerners can get can only help, and on a personal level, my kids won't need to believe the rubbish the media presents or fear the great unknown. Arabic is hard! So I think it will be our marathon language. They have to learn something in 12 years!

We'll start playing with Latin in K because there needs to be a break between that and Arabic. Their dad is interested in Latin so starting earlier rather than later than the Arabic makes sense. One should never waste a dad guy's enthusiasm! Having lots of time to gently acquire vocab before starting proper grammar study at a suitable age seems nice. When we finish studying Latin, I hope we can maintain it through reading. I don't know how much reading is required. I'm sure more is better, but I hope we can keep enough going that they don't forget it.

When they've finished Latin study I hope they'll take French. It is the second most important UN language, and there are sooooo many opportunities available if you have English and French, and even more if you have a third (hence the Arabic.) There's no way we could do French and Arabic together as young kids because I speak neither. I think the Latin will provide a strong foundation for the French, though, so when they are able to take French, they won't be starting completely from scratch and should be able to progress through it a bit quicker than they would otherwise and achieve higher levels before our time is up. If they want to pursue it after high school, they'll have a foundation to work of. If they don't, well it won't have killed them ;)

Rosie- hoping reality will look so good :D

We started Latin in 5th when we switched to classical schooling. Before that we've dabbled in Spanish, a little bit of French, and we tried Greek.

We'll continue with Latin, I'm making it non-negotiable.:D Ds asked to learn Japanese so we'll add that next year. For high school my plan is to do 4 years of Latin and 2-3 of a modern language. If Japanese is a hit, we'll continue with it for the 3 year program we're using.

I'd add a third language if he wants, might be crazy, but I'd love to learn more languages. I'd probably add Irish if he'd let me. I'll probably do some type of language study on my own after he graduates.

We start Latin young (before they get the message that it's too hard or dead)--around 1st grade.

My oldest started Spanish last year in 5th, and my second born is starting Spanish this year in 5th, so I think it's safe to say we start Spanish around 5th.

My dh has started teaching the boys Koine Greek this past year. I would like to add Elementary Greek into my oldest's work. If I do this year, it will be after Christmas. Otherwise, I'll probably start both of my older 2 boys next year.

There has been interest in French & German, so we'll see how the future plays out.

My older dd is using First Form for Latin. I probably won't start my younger dd in Latin until next year or so.

They are both finishing up Code Cracker Greek (it is my fault they are not finished yet, this was purely for fun and was the first to get scratched...along with art....when our schedule ran behind...which it often did this year):sad:

They are both using L'Art de Lire for French. They both really like this program. My dd used First Start French for about 18 lessons or so and then we just needed something else. I love that L'Art de Lire uses a phonics approach and has a lot of fun exercises to practice what we learn. I have all 6 levels now and really am happy with this program. I love when we find one I know we can stick with until it is finished. This way I know we will succeed with French now. I was really not sure of that at one point.

My 6th grade son will be doing Second Form Latin this year. My 4th grade son will be doing Latin For Children Primer B. My older son will hopefully take enough Latin for high school credit. I'm not sure which modern language he will do. My second son already knows he wants to learn Chinese, but we'll wait a couple more years for that.

This year we will officially do Latin for all 3 boys who will be in 3rd, 5th and 7th this next year. I am planning on putting them all in Latina Christiana 1 and slow it down or speed it up accordingly.

I will also add Rosetta Stone Spanish for all 3 of them. My ds/7th wants to do Hebrew and Greek also, so I am looking into those languages also. He loves to study the Bible and wants to learn what it said in it's original text. I am all for that.

We do Mandarin because it's spoken where we live. We just started Latin because dd's starting 3rd and so far it's going well. I plan on continuing Latin until 8th, then let her decide. We speak Spanish informally around the house because we lived in Peru and learned to speak it there. We will probably start a formal study in 5th or 6th. Then in high school we will probably start with French (her dad speaks French fluently). It's sounds like alot when it's all written out but I figure we should teach her the languages we know, we'll see how it goes!

I am fairly new. To the forums so i have missed where you are living. Arabic is easier to learn as a second language than english is (i've heard) so your kids will do great!

We're in Australia. Lots of English around here ;)

Rosie

Mine start learning Latin 2-3 grade. My plan is to have them continue this through middle school; equivalent to 2 years HS Latin. My littles (2 & 5 this last school year) chanted right along with my older ones during review time. :) After Latin we will then do Greek for 2 years.

My husband is from Mexico...but doesn't speak to them enough in Spanish:glare:. I do speak to them some in Spanish so that their brains will store the info on the same side of the brain as English. We will probably "study" Spanish in HS as well....the Latin study and home Spanish will come in handy then.:) I plan to incorporate the CM method of language learning this school year with Spanish to increase their word vault.

Well, my dc will be continuously learning Papiamento through my exposure and books, and formally in school Spanish and Latin. After that, he can pick any of those that are on our Muzzy program:

French

German

Italian

Of course in high school he can add another one, whatever he likes, as long as he sticks with it and keeps Spanish the whole way through.

We teach Latin and French from an early age. Latin because I think it is important and French because it is what I already know. We add Greek around 5th/6th grade. The kids can pick which modern language they would like in high school - either continuing French, dropping it for Spanish or something else or maybe choosing more than one modern language. I tried teaching Spanish, but since I don't know it myself, I really didn't enjoy trying to teach it. It took us too much time to not get very far or deep into the language.

I'm learning some Japanese now, to get a head start. We'll start a high school program in 8th grade (next month!), and I plan to continue through 10th. DS says he wants to continue all through high school, but we'll see! At some point, we may add classes at the Japanese school.

Wendi

We'll be starting our 4th year of Latin and 2nd year of French next week. Latin was initially because of the WTM, but we found that we both love it and wanted to continue. French was her choice, which works since I was once fluent in it (many, many moons ago). Right now she has no interest in any other language, so we're leaving at those two.

We're doing Spanish, and I'm considering Latin. If those two goes well, maybe we'll do more in the future! (I'd love to learn French. And Greek. And Hebrew.)

We're in Australia. Lots of English around here ;)

Rosie

:lol: Rosie, have you ever seen an American show from a few years back called "Sports Night"? What you said reminds me of a great scene where a couple of friends are talking, and the first one says, "And I speak four languages-" and his friend interrupts and says, "You speak three."

"No, four," the first insists.

"No," his friend says, "you speak three: French, Italian and German."

His friend stares back and deadpans, "I dabble in a little English." :D Love it!

DS7 is learning Japanese

DD6 is learning ASL

I would not have chosen these languages for them, I was planning on French, Latin, Greek and maybe spanish.

DS begged to learn Japanese. He finds it fun :001_huh: so we are working through it.

Our neighbor is deaf (she is 12 yo) and she offered to teach dd6 sign language. DD really adores this girl and looks up to our neighbor and it is a great way for the girl to earn a little extra money. :)

:lol: Rosie, have you ever seen an American show from a few years back called "Sports Night"?

Nope. I guess we don't get that one, I haven't heard anyone speak of it. Mind you, I'm a bit out of touch with such things.

Why do you think it is important to learn another UN language?

When I was trawling through the internet looking for job adverts for hubby I came across the UN websites. There are SO MANY opportunities that we are completely ineligible for because we are monolingual. (Auslan doesn't count at times like this ;) ) It made me think about the type of education I was planning, which was a better than I got version of a normal middle class education. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but our government had been harping on about being "competitive on a global scale," and that was the first glimpse of what that could even mean. My daughter might go into something quite mundane like admin, but instead of being stuck here in admin, if she had the language skills, she could go do admin in Nairobi or The Hague. It just expanded my thoughts, allowing me to imagine something larger than what I had before. Whether they choose to aim for those sorts of things themselves is their own business. I may not be able to have them graduate our homeschool able to pass the language tests, but I can certainly provide enough of a foundation that it would be an achievable goal. Anyhow, they will be hanging around here for quite a while and I have to teach them something. ;)

Rosie

They took Spanish in ps so we're continuing with that, for now at least. Dd had a year of Japanese in K at one of her ps but we had no interest in continuing it and I doubt she remembers any. My first language is French and we speak that at home when dh isn't around (he knows nothing!). One day soon I'll get around to teach them to read and write it. They go to Korean language class now and know enough to get by in restaurants and other simple things but neither is interested in continuing after we leave here. I don't know if I'll make them keep up with it anyway. DH will teach them Farsi (he's fluent) starting when they're 10 because the job opportunities available with being fluent in such a hard language are amazing.

We did Mandarin first because we were living in China and I think that starting with a modern language while children are young makes developmental sense. We followed up with Latin (because I think it is valuable) then did French because I speak it and it's often taught in schools here: I wanted them to be able to slide into school if they decided to.

Laura

We've done some beginning Latin, but in 6th grade we're starting Spanish because:

a) Lots of Spanish speakers in the area and country

b) Spanish TV stations that we get without cable, choices of Spanish books in the library and bookstores, Spanish option on most DVDs

c) I took Spanish in school--I'm no longer fluent but I remember enough to work with dd on it and converse some

d) We have family members who are fluent (2 native speakers married into my family and all their kids are bilingual)

e) She wants to learn it

:001_smile:

We are working very hard on English (=foreign language) now and I definitely plan on adding Latin and Greek, because I want to give my children a LCC style education.

In the Netherlands all children start German, French and English when they are 12yo, so I have to find a way to add German and French..somehow...but I'm trying not to think about it. Lalalalalalala.

We've been dabbling in Latin for a little while and we're going to get serious about it this year.

I took 3 years of French in High School and fell in love with the Language so my kids will learn French... (hopefully this year)

I have the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker and now my ds8 wants to learn Greek also. :D

When I was trawling through the internet looking for job adverts for hubby I came across the UN websites. There are SO MANY opportunities that we are completely ineligible for because we are monolingual. (Auslan doesn't count at times like this ;) ) It made me think about the type of education I was planning, which was a better than I got version of a normal middle class education. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but our government had been harping on about being "competitive on a global scale," and that was the first glimpse of what that could even mean. My daughter might go into something quite mundane like admin, but instead of being stuck here in admin, if she had the language skills, she could go do admin in Nairobi or The Hague. It just expanded my thoughts, allowing me to imagine something larger than what I had before. Whether they choose to aim for those sorts of things themselves is their own business. I may not be able to have them graduate our homeschool able to pass the language tests, but I can certainly provide enough of a foundation that it would be an achievable goal. Anyhow, they will be hanging around here for quite a while and I have to teach them something. ;)

Rosie

Interesting, thanks! :)

Their native language is Italian. We moved to the States when they were 3 and 4 years old and suddenly they were exposed to a lot of English - even though it's technically a foreign language for them, due to the fact they mastered it to a native level (as it happens when young kids move into a foreign country), and because I wanted them to be culturally in touch with their guest country, I decided to teach it on a native level as well - so they have always had two "native language with literature" packages. Needless to mention, with time we switched the roles so now they correct my English if I write something "for official use", not the other way round :lol:, because they speak it so much better than me. One can't tell them foreign if one doesn't know they are.

They have been hearing Hebrew since they were born (half of DH's family speaks it), and they spent a lot of time in Israel over the course of the years, so Hebrew was a must as well. We started teaching it when they were young, but we taught it in quite a relaxed manner (conversationally, with delayed grammar, not focusing on literacy that much) and hoped that their stays in Israel would aid - which they did, but it doesn't change the fact that one day when they were 8-9 we woke up to realize they don't actually know it as well as we hoped they would. That's when we made it more formal, DH started speaking Hebrew with them from time to time, and, most importantly, DH and I started speaking in Hebrew every time we didn't want them to understand something. :D That was a killer motivation for them to start taking Hebrew seriously. Later we also covered grammar and started using Israeli textbooks as supplement materials for the schoolwork, as well as started doing Judaics on a more serious level - so now they're fine. The older one speaks on a nearly native level, the younger one is proficient enough to use it for what she needs.

Regarding classics, we started those in K, but up until about 3rd-4th grade we didn't emphasize them that much - we simply wanted them to grow up with classics, and a thorough grammatical study followed that age, now they're both reading texts as their study.

We don't remove any languages, only add. The older daughter (13 y.o.) chose to do French as her high school foreign language, instead of English, so that's what she's starting next year. She already knows quite a bit of conversational French that she picked up travelling, but it'll still take her a few years to start doing exclusively French literature (which is why she chose it).

I'm trying to talk them both into learning German because they might regret one day not knowing it (it's a very important language in the European context, whether on a cultural or a scientific level). They were exposed to it already and know it a bit, but I'd like them to really know it. I don't feel I can require that of them, though, so I only mention it from time to time. :D

Their native language is Italian. We moved to the States when they were 3 and 4 years old and suddenly they were exposed to a lot of English - even though it's technically a foreign language for them, due to the fact they mastered it to a native level (as it happens when young kids move into a foreign country), and because I wanted them to be culturally in touch with their guest country, I decided to teach it on a native level as well - so they have always had two "native language with literature" packages. Needless to mention, with time we switched the roles so now they correct my English if I write something "for official use", not the other way round :lol:, because they speak it so much better than me. One can't tell them foreign if one doesn't know they are.

I so wish I could do this for my kids, not to mention the Hebrew and other languages you write about.

When I say that we are working very hard on English, I mean that *I* am tearing my hair out and loosing sleep over it :tongue_smilie:, while my dd is resisting everything I attempt. The only EFL curricula I can find spend ages on days of the week, favourite food, animal names etc...which we have already done...and there are no materials unless you use high school material. Makes me :banghead:.

I so wish I could do this for my kids, not to mention the Hebrew and other languages you write about.

When I say that we are working very hard on English, I mean that *I* am tearing my hair out and loosing sleep over it :tongue_smilie:, while my dd is resisting everything I attempt. The only EFL curricula I can find spend ages on days of the week, favourite food, animal names etc...which we have already done...and there are no materials unless you use high school material. Makes me :banghead:.

(For some reason I was convinced you're an expat there, I didn't know your kids were doing English as a foreign language.) But seriously, have you tried materials aimed at anglophone children, perhaps a year or two below the age of your daughter? Picture books and alike, but all from the anglophone market for children who speak English as their first language? When I switched to Israeli materials with my daughters, it was an initial shock (since the materials assumed a lot greater command of the language than they had), but with time I came to realize it was probably the best decision I have made with regards to Hebrew, as it made them catch up quite quickly. You could make some sort of "English environment" somewhere at your home (with posters in English, audio books, cartoons in English if your kids like them, etc.), add articles in English about things they're studying for the rest of subjects, try to do with them language arts of the kind native speakers do... Maybe your daughter needs something more challenging than the materials you have? Just a random guess, but those little things helped us with Hebrew a lot; I'm sure you can order those materials via your bookstores too?

I didn't forget about Latin. I'm really, really sorry for delaying it so much - every time when I attempt to finally systematize it, something interrupts me. :blush:

But seriously, have you tried materials aimed at anglophone children, perhaps a year or two below the age of your daughter? Picture books and alike, but all from the anglophone market for children who speak English as their first language?

Yes, I have. But it's not working :banghead:.

I'm probably doing it wrong :001_huh:, but my dd seriously resists using Little Bear and other books like that. She reads at a 5th grade level in Dutch and the stories in Little Bear etc are just not interesting enough for her, but her vocabulary is so small that she can't read the books she would like to read (Narnia for example). I read to her in English everyday, but I'm not convinced that that is doing much. We also started old-fashioned flash card drill last week, because I just could not think of anything else to try.

I think it is partly a character thing, I saw the same thing (more or less) when I taught her to read. I'm surrounded by (radical) unschoolers here and everyone told me to just get some easy readers from the library and read them with her and she would pick it up easily. That didn't work out so well. She felt cheated, 'how am I supposed to know these things' and was highly resistant. Then I bought a school method, we worked our way through a years worth of lessons in two months and before I knew it she was reading several grades ahead.

I think I really need some systematic instruction, but not the days-of-the-week, favourite-food type. I'm a little hesistant to using materials for 13yo's, the topics are 'written to be interesting to teens', meaning a lot of 'boyfriend-girlfriend' stuff. But maybe I should....

I didn't forget about Latin. I'm really, really sorry for delaying it so much - every time when I attempt to finally systematize it, something interrupts me. :blush:
That's okay. When I'm not agonizing about English :D, I'm vomiting...so my Latin studies have slowed down considerably.

We've been doing Latin for a few years and will continue with that. We'll all be learning Uzbek for the next few years while we live in Central Asia, and the boys will learn some Russian too. I'd also like to teach them some Arabic at some point since it's a useful language in the places they're likely to be while they're growing up. Persian/Farsi/Tajik/Dari would be good too, but maybe a bit optimistic.

How did you decide what to teach? We are starting latin this year, then after a year or so (depending) we plan to add in spanish- but after that I dont know what to do. So how did you decide what languages to teach?

We are continuing on doing mainly Latin for this next year, but I also have the next levels of Hebrew and Spanish on hand.

WTM and LCC influenced my decision for Latin.

My daughter is also interested in learning French.