Menu

What small, simple thing do you do to save money? Let's share!

Ok, I'll start.

And I know this is lame, but anyway...

I buy my socks from the girls department. I discovered a year or two ago that stores like Target and Walmart sell socks that are the same size in both the women's and girl's departments. For example, I needed some new plain ol' white athletic socks. So I went to Walmart a few days ago, and picked up a package of fruit of the loom socks in the women's department. They were $7 for 10 pairs, and they fit shoe size 4-10. Well, then I went over to the girl's department, and I found a package of fruit of the loom socks, $6.25 for 10 pairs, that fit shoe size 4-10. I've done the same thing at Meijer before, too.

Not a big deal, obviously. :D But I love to find ways to pay less for what I want. Anyone else have any tips to share?

Edited by bethanyniez
just because I say 'Meijers' doesnt mean that it actually has an s on the end...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do other things too, but one of the little things is if it is only dd and I for dinner and we want Chinese we will do the buffet take-away. We can get dinner for the both of use in one box and save about $5.00.

I know ideally staying home and cooking would save us even more. But sometimes a girl does not want to cook for 1 and a half people.;)

We do lots of big things. But, the little things really add up!

I always look for free parking in the lots. I drive around until I find a spot that has time left on the meter. Then, I take that money I would've spent on parking and put it in our money bin. We count it before vacations and have quite a lot of money!

I'm looking for more ideas!!!!

I bought foaming soap containers and I put a squirt or two of suave lavender shampoo in the bottom, fill with water, and shake. The shampoo is $1 and I just keep refilling the dispensers. One bottle will last for a few months. You can buy the disposable foaming soap and then refill with the shampoo. Very cheap.

Ok, I'll start.

And I know this is lame, but anyway...

I buy my socks from the girls department. I discovered a year or two ago that stores like Target and Walmart sell socks that are the same size in both the women's and girl's departments. For example, I needed some new plain ol' white athletic socks. So I went to Walmart a few days ago, and picked up a package of fruit of the loom socks in the women's department. They were $7 for 10 pairs, and they fit shoe size 4-10. Well, then I went over to the girl's department, and I found a package of fruit of the loom socks, $6.25 for 10 pairs, that fit shoe size 4-10. I've done the same thing at Meijer's before, too.

Not a big deal, obviously. :D But I love to find ways to pay less for what I want. Anyone else have any tips to share?

I'm going to do this next time we need socks.

We eat out for lunch instead of dinner. We can go to a variety of restaurants and eat really well for $7-$9 a piece, not including tax, drinks, or tip. We usually go during the week because of the lunch specials. It's a wonderful date.

Next time I need socks, I will look there, good tip!

I have bought boys soccer shoes, half the price of women's soccer shoes 12 years ago when I was playing soccer.

My children use a lot of soap, I buy the kind you add water to and it foams.

I use office clips instead of kitchen clips for my food, much cheaper.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Hmm. I might try something similar. I do divide a new bottle of conditioner between two bottles (one an old empty) and fill the rest up with water and shake. 2 bottles for the price of one! The conditioner is so thick anyway that it doesn't seem to make any difference at all in effectiveness. I tried it with shampoo, but that didn't work so well.

I'm going to remember the socks thing.

We do so many little things that add up. They have become second nature so I'm having trouble thinking of anything unusual.

You can also buy boy's socks that are sometimes better quality for less money.

When we do go out to eat---often fast food drive thru--we use coupons as much as we can. Just the other day the local McDonalds had a sign saying they would honor competitor's coupons. I had an Arby's coupon for a free Chicken Club sandwich if you buy any size pop and fry. So, at McDonalds I got the $4.29 chicken club sandwich free when I bought the $1 pop and $1 fry. I would never have paid $4.29 for the sandwich but it was a tasty treat.

Also, Burger King and Arby's will offer a free sandwich if you call and do a survey about your last visit. Great way to get a free whopper or Beef N Cheese sandwich for about 3 minutes of my time.

We also try to take along our own beverages when possible. Granted, it is still often pop, but I can buy a 24 pk. at Walmart for $5 now vs. paying $1-2 each for a fountain pop at a drive thru. Water would be better/cheaper but we don't always do that.

A Pizza places, some of them will let you buy a 2 liter bottle for $2 or so and bring you cups of ice. This is much cheaper than the $5 pitcher of pop that is 1/2 ice to begin with.

We just bought a used car. I haggled over the phone and got an incredible deal, all the while telling them I had to clear things with my dh. Do not stay at the dealership. Use the internet profusely for reviews and car values. I have yet to see our car out there for the price we paid. We saved at least $3000 under the lowest selling price for the vehicle we found. Say no to the warranty package, too. It's unlikely our 3 year old used car will need $1600-$2500 in repairs, and if we do we have an excellent mechanic we trust.

We use cloth napkins instead of disposable napkins and paper towels.

We always bring our own bags/bins to the grocery store. (Most places here charge per bag now, though we've been doing this for years for environmental reasons.)

We used scrapbook paper to decorate a bunch of old cardboard tins from raisins and cocoa, and use those for storing various things around the house. It's a free, creative, super cute, environmentally friendly storage option.

I've been planning to bring my own travel coffee cup when I go out for coffee at Starbucks; apparently they discount your order by 10 cents when you bring your own mug.

I always search online for discount coupons before we go to any local attractions. You can usually find a coupon for just about anything, or even purchase the pass online for a discount.

We use the back side of paper for drawing, cut up into little notepads, etc. rather than taking a new sheet. Along those lines, a whiteboard can often save the paper all together.

I try to consider other options before purchasing something... sometimes I can borrow from a library or friend, or perhaps someone on Freecycle is sitting on exactly the thing I need, or maybe I can re-purpose something I already have and I don't need the new thing after all... It's surprising how often I find I don't need to spend the money when I simply stop and ask myself what my options are rather than buying by default.

We use baking soda and vinegar for cleaning.

Most of these are things I do for environmental reasons, and they just so happen to save us money as well. Pretty cool!

Edited by MelanieM

We make an hour and a half drive for groceries every two weeks. That saves us a ton even with a meal out and gas because we live in a tiny rural area with rediculously expensive groceries here in town. (a loaf of cheap bread-- I mean the cheapest of cheap that tears when you try to spread ANYTHING on it for 3.50?? :glare:) I do not mind paying that for good bread but here in town prices are just rediculous!

The grocery stores here are beginning to work hard for patronage with great prepared foods. Whole foods has an dinner with two sides and a huge spring greens salad for $15.00. That feeds our family of 4 dinner, and somebody has leftovers for lunch. Also Harris Teeter makes custom footlong sandwiches at their deli for $4.00 on Friday. When I don't have time to cook, these options are much less expensive than restaurant dining.

I use coffee tins, soda bottles, cream cheese/sour cream, and containers like that to hold bobby pins, hair clips, hair ties, erasers, paper clips, etc.

I also cut up old cereal boxes and tape the sides together to make them into paper holders and such things.

We do the same thing with hand soap by putting a few drops of shampoo in with water.

We also stock up on cat food coupons and use them the last possible day and stock up on cat food that way.

We hunt for loose change outside. Okay, not hunt, but where some people would walk past a penny on the ground, we snatch it up and put it in our coffee tin.

My father taught me to be very money savvy :)

Guest Dulcimeramy
I make my own Windex and Shout. Much cheaper than buying the real thing and they work just as well. I think the fake Shout works better than real Shout.

What is Shout?

Instead of paper towels, we use hand towels and kitchen towels or rags for everything.

Some one mentioned kitchen clips, I actually buy a big bag of clothes pins from the dollar store and use them as clips for food, etc.

I reuse tin foil for quite a few uses in the oven, etc.

We only drink bottled water, so we got Crystal water delivery service and use their water cooler they supply and it actually saves us money because we no longer buy any other drinks. Everyone is happy just drinking the really cold cooler water and we always pack water thermos when we leave the house. So we are helping the environment, being healthy and actually saving money.

We got rid of our cable tv service.

I unplug everything in the house, that does not need to remain plugged in. And we plug in as we use. And it has definitely cut our electric bill and again is better for the environment. And we do not use our a/c at all.

I try and go at end of season and buy clothes from the stores that I like that are pricey. This way I can get really cute stuff in the size my kids will be the next year. Amazing clearance deals!

Gosh, it is hard to think of things on the spot, some of it has just become second nature.

I have used several (I am up to 10) coffee cans for things. I use one for sugar, flour, rice, pasta, coffee filters, all those bags that collect up from going shopping, pencils & pens and oatmeal.

The stack real nice and I have put material around them and labeled them. I am trying to think of what to use for my next can.... :)

New one for me today: I was washing glass (mirrors and windows) and am out of homemade cleaner. Instead i washed the glass with plain water and a microfiber cloth, and then polished with a dry microfiber cloth. Sparkling, with less time and hey! How much is water?

I bought a pack of 50 microfiber cloths in the car area of Costco for less than $20. They work great for everything (especially dusting with no product!), dry quickly, and are a bright yellow (so they don't accidentally get used as wash cloths).

I switched to Ziplock bags and containers in place of plastic wrap because I can wash and reuse them many times. I make my own laundry soap and shampoo and use vinegar in my rinse cycle instead of dryer sheets in the dryer. I'm starting to switch to vinegar and baking soda for cleaning as well.

We u-pick fruit all summer and freeze it, plus I put away a ton of other produce, either home grown or bought at a local farm stand, by freezing or canning. I cook from almost entirely from scratch so I've started using the excellent bulk food section at a local store for staples. We also buy our meat in big sizes and re-portion it into meal size seal-a-meal packages and freeze. We buy almost no pre packaged or prepared food. Now we can skip whole aisles when grocery shopping which saves us quite a bit of money and we're eating healthier too!

What is Shout?

It is a spray on stain remover that works really well on getting all sorts of stains out of clothes (especially blood)

----

I sometimes buy plain tshirts at places like Hobby Lobby when they have the 5 shirts for $10 sale. They are pretty good quality, and you can't beat a $2 shirt. Also, the day after the local 4th of July festival, I go to the park where it was held and look for spare change around where the food booths were located. One year I found close to $20 in about an hour's time. I've also found lots of pens/pencils on the ground and lots of chip clips (they hand them out at some of the booths).

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I make my own Laundry soap.

I cut the dryer sheets in half to make them last longer.

I try not to buy anything without coupons. www.couponmom.com

I buy a lot of our reading books at Goodwill instead of bookstores.

I recently bartered with a guy for Guitar lessons. I did some baking for their family in return for half price lessons.;)

I often will roast a chicken for dinner one night, and make stock for soup out of the bones, and another dinner off the leftover meat.

Instead of buying packaged items I bake from scratch.

Along with a few things already mentioned, I use various size mason jars for food storage both in the cupboard and the fridge. I bought the white screw on tops, and all the sizes (1 qt and 2 qt) have the same wide opening. It's nice for beans, coffee, dried pastas, etc in the cupboard because I can see what is in them, and in the fridge I use them for things like ice tea, bread crumbs, nuts, etc. I also use the smaller, jelly jar size for making and shaking salad dressings. Some of the jars I bought, but others are from things that just came in them from the store (in which case, I sometimes need to keep the cover if the opening isn't the usual size).

ETA Oh, and we've been making all our own bread ala the Artisan Bread in 5 books - little effort, little time, and gigantic $$ saver.

Edited by LauraGB

I'm not sure if this is big or small but the best thing I have done is get out of the weekly grocery shopping habit. I go to Aldi and Sam's about every 3-4 mo and stock up on what we need. I go to Kroger/ CVS once or twice a month to do grocery game type couponing deals and to pick up fresh produce here and there. It's not the healthiest because we do end up using more frozen produce than fresh but the budget is a big issue. When we need milk in between trips I stop at the gas station. The price is competitive and it keeps me out of the store.

Just staying out of the store weekly has been great for us. It forces me to be more creative to use up what we have before I shop again. I wait until I REALLY need to shop again so I use up just about everything from my freezers/ pantry before I go.

I just have done so much better controlling spending and waste.

Honetly, we try, but we have large expenses (one child is in college, we live in a $ state etc) ...so the only real money-saving thing we do is that we rarely go out to eat. We have take-out pizza or Chinese once a week, but we limit resturant eating to very special occasions. Dh and I tend to go have a glass of wine or beer at little places in town when we want to go out together, about once a month.

We have chickens, we have a large garden; our recreation is working at home, caring for our gardens and animals. So I guess we save money by not owning a sailboat? LOL A lot of people here do...

i don't buy a lot of curric, nor new books. I do bargain hunt for used books, and we use the library a couple of times a week.

We don't buy many gadgets, but then I remembered that my dh bought me an iPod for my b'day, which I lovelovelove. I can have music and such with me as I work outside and take walks. It's thrillling. lol We don't shop as recreation, however. We've never owned a new car, although my used car (Sienna) wasn't as cheap as my dh's old toyota sedan. ;)

We have a small home and we are very careful about heating and cooling. We use cloth napkins, don't buy papertowels, and we aren't home -chemcial users etc. (We do these things for mostly environmental reasons, although they do also save money).

OTOH, I buy mostly organic food (although we buy many items such as flours, beans, rice, grains etc in bulk from our coop), and our chidlren do have various interests ; ballet, art, music, plus they have gone/do go to camp. So what we might save in one area, we spend in another...

Edited by LibraryLover

I've shopped in a mall so seldom in the 12 years I've been here that once, a few years ago when I had to take my teenage son there, I actually shopped a little. My credit card company called my home in alarm! Unfortunately, my husband was home, LOL, and immediately called me to inquire what the heck I was doing. I had to call the credit card folks to reassure them it was really me.....

I make my own laundry detergent.

Instead of dryer sheets, I fill a plastic container 1/4 full of liquid softener and fill with water. Put a couple of sponges in there and grab one when you put a load of clothes in the dryer. Works great.

I use homemade cleaners for the house.

I grocery shop with a list made from my menu for that week and buy only what is on the list.

I cook from scratch and use very few processed foods. We eat all our leftovers and rarely eat out.

I don't shop unless we need something.

Cancelled our cable.

Use the A/C rarely.

I do a lot of the things already mentioned - couponing, cooking at home instead of going out and eating lunch out instead of dinner on the rare occasions when we do eat out, buying socks and shoes from the kids dept (did you know a size 6 girl's shoe is about the same as a size 8 womens? sales girl at Payless told me that when she showed me a pair of sneakers that were exactly what I had been looking for but would never have found because they are made for kids), reusing ziploc bags and coffee cans, etc.

I also make my own iced coffee at home. I save whatever is left out of dh's pot in the morning and put it in a pitcher in the fridge. The next morning it is just right for an iced coffee. And I can splurge and buy fancy flavored liquid creamer that will last 1-2 weeks for less than what I used to spend on one coffee.

ETA: Oh yeah, we also switched to Netflix and Hulu on the internet instead of cable.

• We dramatically changed the way we shop. We buy at Aldi, Dollar Tree, bakery outlet and produce store. We cut our costs dramatically.
  • Started shopping at a good thrift store.
  • Avoid the mall.
  • CVS -- use EBs for health,beauty aids and the always needed - milk.
  • Craigslist for anything we need: have gotten bikes, furniture, computer stuff, omg...so much.
  • Sell anything we don't need on Craigslist (can't tell you how much this has brought in).
  • Use the library extensively :)
  • Find a good used bookstore.

I recently started to spend days making up a weekend's worth of "Free activities." There's always something going on within this community or neighboring communities but by planning this way we've: had a lot of fun, done a few cool things, and even got into a usually pricier attraction for $4 for 5 of us! But it takes looking and planning to have these "no spend" or "spend very little" weekends. If you're local, there's free surf lessons tomorrow at the lighthouse from 10-2 for the kids! :)

We even cut out stopping to get the kids ice cream when coming off the beach. Now we run in SavALot and grab a gallon of ice cream, cones, sprinkles, etc:lol: (how cheap are we?) Buuuutttt, now we have leftovers for during the week for less than what we would have spent.

Cut up old worksheets etc. that are plain on one side and fill a little box near the phone - they serve as notepads and, on the 'fridge, my grocery list.

Wash (laundry, not dishes!) everything in cool water. If there are germies (think flu season), that is what bleach is for.

Also - have never bought or used fabric softener for the wash or dryer. Neither did my mom back in California when I was growing up. Why does anyone need it???

And it is cheaper to buy a DVD (which we will also watch more than once) than to take this family of six to the movie theater (unless it is opening day for a Harry Potter film!!! :-)

Plus - my living room couch is from Craigslist, as are two very nice mission-style chairs.

Edited by JFSinIL

I buy my socks from the girls department. I discovered a year or two ago that stores like Target and Walmart sell socks that are the same size in both the women's and girl's departments. For example, I needed some new plain ol' white athletic socks. So I went to Walmart a few days ago, and picked up a package of fruit of the loom socks in the women's department. They were $7 for 10 pairs, and they fit shoe size 4-10. Well, then I went over to the girl's department, and I found a package of fruit of the loom socks, $6.25 for 10 pairs, that fit shoe size 4-10. I've done the same thing at Meijer before, too.

Isn't that funny that they do that. I wonder if they know they do that. I was at Bob Evan's this morning and noticed that you can order 2 eggs, bacon and 2 biscuits from two different "meals"...you know, like Country Sampler or Bob's Big Breakfast...I'm not talking a la carte. Anyway, this same amount of food under one heading costs less than the same amount of food under the other heading. And it wasn't easy to "see" that because of all the choices involved under each heading. So I'm wondering if Bob realizes. Btw, I ordered from the cheaper heading. :001_smile:

My cheap tip is to join the Bob Evan's Kids Club and your child gets a free kid's meal and drink on his/her b-day.

I don't buy drinks when out, and I only drink water, freshly made juices (not store bought), or tea, at home. Not buying drinks out has probably saved my thousands of $ over the years. When I buy a meal, I dont automatically get a drink with it, ever.

It was more for health reasons-I don't drink with meals, or I just drink a little water, because I think it dilutes the digestive juices- however it also seems like an incredible waste of resources, to me, to buy a container of juice, water, (I never have drunk soda) etc- what an incredible waste of packaging! And, I am sure it's where many people consume a lot of extra and unecessary calories.

Recipe, please!

To make one quart of FakeShout:

1 cup ammonia

1 cup white vinegar

1 cup Wisk

1 cup water

Mix together well.

To use: Put in a spray bottle and spray stains. Rub in and let sit 10 minutes. Launder as usual.

I quadruple this recipe and make a gallon. It lasts about a year in our house. My husband manages to spill coffee on his white dress shirts at least twice a week and hurts himself anytime he uses a screwdriver, hammer, etc. (The guy is a great businessman, but definitely NOT a handyman!) This recipe works great on coffee, blood, baseball boy grass stains and red ballfield dirt. I recently gave a bottle to my daughter who has 10 month old twins and a 3 year old. She said it was better than the expensive babystain product she had been using.

This is the recipe in Wendi Meredith's book "The Art of Frugality". Same book that taught me great coupon skills and strategies for the Ultimate Cheap But Lovely Christmas. I think her website is theartoffrugality.blogspot.com/

Edited by cat in black
correct name of website

Haircuts at the local beauty college ($4).

Making my own laundry detergent. Takes me 15 minutes and it saves SO much money. I don't feel guilty about doing a load of rags, etc.

Diluting fabric softener. I buy one bottle, pour half of it into the old empty bottle and then fill with water. Soft, nice smelling clothes at half the price.

Cloth napkins. I cannot remember the last time I bought paper napkins.

Small things that have really saved us a lot of money.