Menu

How many days are you required to school?

I'm curious how many days other states require for homeschoolers. In Iowa we are required to school for 148 days but most homeschool curriculum is geared for 180 days.

I'm finding that is difficult to schedule. I'll admit that I'm a slacker and would much prefer getting done in 148 days instead of 180 :001_smile:

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm headed out and don't have time to search.

Kelly

Guest cherrymom

In PA, 180 days or 900 hours of instruction, and secondary students (grades 7-12) should document 180 days or 990 hours.

Guest ToGMom

In Maine, we are required to instruct for a period of 175 days...there is no distinction on what constitutes a day. :)

I'm curious how many days other states require for homeschoolers. In Iowa we are required to school for 148 days but most homeschool curriculum is geared for 180 days.

I'm finding that is difficult to schedule. I'll admit that I'm a slacker and would much prefer getting done in 148 days instead of 180 :001_smile:

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm headed out and don't have time to search.

Kelly

180 days...900 hours per year for k-8. grades 9-12 are 990 hours. (NY)

Faithe

180 days. The public schools do less and they count in-service days towards that number. Although we do more than 180 days I still count our in-service days. For me those days include anytime during the school year when I am doing more than 2-3 hour of planning, grading, research, and ds is not doing school.

In WA we are required to provide " for a number of hours equivalent to the total annual program hours per grade level established for approved private schools" which upon first glance makes it seem like we are required to teach for 180 days/yr at 4-6 hrs/day but "The legislature recognizes that home-based instruction is less structured and more experiential than the instruction normally provided in a classroom setting. Therefore.... the nature and quantity of instructional and related educational activities shall be liberally construed."

In Utah, the homeschool law says homeschooled students are to receive instruction for the same length of time required by public schools. In general, this is 990 hours, over 180 days, but there are a number of caveats and exceptions that take into account teacher planning days and conferences, parent teacher conferences, and rearranging of hours per day, or days per year in order to accommodate non-traditional school schedules such as year-round schedules. Also, exceptions can be made based on an individual student's circumstances, such as a learning disability, medical condition, employment, etc.

So I aim for 180 "official" school days. Our actual "school" time, as the kids recognize it as such, tends to be a bit shorter than "instructional time" at school, but I figure if the school can count standing in line, waiting for others to finish before starting the next thing, moving between classes or rooms, assemblies, and such as "instructional time", we can count the at-home equivalent, and that will make up for it. I also count non-school family activities such as bedtime stories, gardening, food preparation, etc. as "instructional time" if I need to in order to make myself feel better. And then, we always have fun/learning things going through the summer, which is less than a school day's worth of "instructional time" every day, but adds up to more than enough to fill in any cracks in my 990 hours.

Fortunately, we are not actually required to record or report any of this, which makes my life a good deal easier, as I can focus on what my children are learning rather than on whether the hoops have all been jumped through.

I'm finding that is difficult to schedule. I'll admit that I'm a slacker and would much prefer getting done in 148 days instead of 180

We don't have a day requirement here, but I have a friend trying to shave some weeks off Abeka's plan, so she doubles one lesson per day. For example, Monday they'll do two math lessons, Tuesday two reading lessons, Wednesday two science lessons, etc. That way it all gets done, and in order, and they only add another 20 minutes per day.

Since we go year-round, I have NO idea how many days we actually do!

I'm thankful I dont' live in a state that requires days, but now that I am working in a ps to help tutor some kids to pass the TEST, if I did, we'd probably be done by Christmas with days.

Seriously, since I have been there in March they have had for part of the day: a fun /field type day with lots of fun choice, and 2-3 Movie days and there will be another on Friday for 6th graders.

In British Columbia, Canada, if you are enrolled in a DL program as a homeschooler and therefore receive funding ($1000/yr), you are required to do 180 days per year. If you are a registered homeschooler (and therefore receive no funding) you have no requirements!

Okay I just did the math. If a school day is only 4 hrs then we are required to do 250 days!!!!!!

Yes, but you call the shots. Cooking, Legos, PBS, playing outside, chores... 1000 hours doesn't mean 1000 hours of deskwork.

Barb

No requirements in TX, but our curriculum has 165 lessons per course, and we try very hard to get most of them done. We do an enrichment class one day a week, and it makes it very hard to get all 165 lessons in, even with a year-round schedule.

I'm not sure I could live in a area with no requirements. My slacker nature would get the best of me.

For example, Monday they'll do two math lessons, Tuesday two reading lessons, Wednesday two science lessons, etc. That way it all gets done, and in order, and they only add another 20 minutes per day.

I might try this.

Kelly

Now in Wyoming the law states 175 days for public and private schools, but doesn't actually state anything for homeschools. We are not considered a private school so it is a very unclear law. I do schedule 175 to be on the safe side.

Now I know the public school has 156 student days and the rest to equal up to the 175 are teacher days and they get away with it.

Now with most curriculum like the math or LA the beginning parts are review you could skip those and move on. This way you have less lessons and could possible schedule better.

Okay I just did the math. If a school day is only 4 hrs then we are required to do 250 days!!!!!!

:lol::lol:

We start in August and hit our 1000 hours in March or April (each child is different), somewhere between 120 & 140 days.

Remember you don't count hours until they are 7. Then as a pp said, you have a lot of freedom. Reading is a core subject, so if you are reading a bedtime story to a 7 yo, it can count.

I could never get all our work done in 4 hours, so our typical 6-7 hour day makes they year fly by. Add to that extracurriculars like band, and gymnastics and hours accumulate very quickly!

As others have said - 180 for SC. I started homeschooling in FL and we did not have any set days. I always took curriculum and divided it into 30 weeks for scheduling purposes. Usually it would take us about 32 weeks to get through it. When I moved here, I was shocked to find that I was supposed to do 180 days. I guess I do 180 days, but many of those days are vacations, field trips, and other random things. I figure if we finish a curriculum - I don't care how many days it took. Done is done. I don't move onto the next level just to fill in days. I know - I am a rebel! LOL!