Menu

How long have you been here? (looking for 'oldies' from a few years ago)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dc were young then and I wandered away when we used Sonlight for a while. I found my way back. I mostly lurk. The posting I have done since the board change is the most I have ever posted. I usually don't have the time and it is all I can do to keep up with reading posts.

WTM is my favorite hs'ing boards because I find the best links, curriculum suggestions, thought provoking posts and advice here. Love it!:)

I have been a lurker here since the boards started. Bought the first edition of WTM when it was pretty much unknown and still hot from the press :D However I seldom if ever read the general board when it was started but this new format has sucked me in :)

I'll start. I've been here off and on for about 3 years. (I think!) ;) I'm usually off more than on, but I just love the advice here, the ideas I get, and the support.

:grouphug:

((((Holly in FL, are you still here?))))

Honestly I’m not sure... I remember back when it was a board sort of like vegsource... does that make sense? It was a forum and 2 boards ago! *Ü* I was off and on back then, but I have been pretty consistent for about 4?? years now.

I was here after I read the first edition of WTM. Here when Vegsource imploded and had a mass exodus. Here for all the legendary threads, memorable trolls.

I really have no idea what year I came, but I am nodding my head at the 1st ed. of WTM, the Vegsource exodus, memorable threads and trolls! I must have been here for awhile! It's been a great ride!

I really have no idea what year I came, but I am nodding my head at the 1st ed. of WTM, the Vegsource exodus, memorable threads and trolls! I must have been here for awhile! It's been a great ride!

OH yes, I was around for the vegsource exodus as well. They would delete posts for the strangest reasons.

I've been here roughly six years. :eek: I was Debra in TX on the old boards but upgraded myself here, adding my fat cheeks and some mad Latin speak. ;)

:seeya:

Your cheeks aren't fat. They look like German apple-cheeks to me. My darling 17yo has them too.

Barb

I'm not sure exactly, but it's been a long time . . .I don't post all that much, and especially when I first started hanging out here, I lurked a lot. But I know it's been probably at least 6 years, maybe longer. . .I can't remember if it was before of after my dd was born. . .

Since the beginning, but I can't remember exactly when that was. I've been more off than on through the years, my user name has changed, and there were several years where I only had time to lurk but not post, but I've been with it (the book and the site) from the very beginning.

I haven't read through all the responses yet, but will tonight.

I see a lot of familiar names and some that I'm glad you posted because I didn't "recognize" you. :D

Someone else asked this, (and perhaps she has popped in) where is Yevrah?

Brenda hasn't been around for a long time, has she? She and her son were moving (to Hawaii?), and I don't really remember hearing from her after that (though since I was in and out I might have missed her...)

Brenda did return to the old boards right before they changed over. It was good to 'see' her for a bit. :)

I arrived on "board" in 2004. I was Joanne in VA for a couple of months then changed to battlemaiden.

I sometimes think I'm missing someone, but then I find out they just have a different board name. That confuses me to on end.

As for the great historical events on the board, I'm not sure anything has been as traumatic as the JaneAustenfan trolling scandal. I still remember my dh looking at me when I gasped, thinking that I was having some sort of medical emergency. ;) That was a doozy.

Jo

Started in 1999 when book came out, with 1st grade ds (now ending 9th grade). The boards had been up maybe 4-5 months?

I know I read EVERY message already posted in the archives, before posting one single thing. I didn't want to look silly for posting something that had already been answered.

I read TWTM and started coming to the boards a little bit before my oldest dd was in Kindergarten. She's now nearing the end of 6th grade. I don't post much, but I am here a lot.

I started out as simply "Nicole" years ago and then someone else started using that name, so I switched to "Nicole in WA." Then we moved to CA and I became "Nicole in CA," which is what I've been for the longest. Now we've moved again, this time to FL which is why the new posting name. Apparently I should have never put a location in my name!

Hmmm. I don't know when I started on this board (well, actually the old board), but it was probably 3 years ago? I remember I was creating a music appreciation unit on the middle ages and renaissance which I posted here. I remember I was also active on the Sonlight board at the same time, but that was changed to private.

I also remember posting a huge list of literature studies I found on the internet, which I unfortunately lost. I so wish I hadn't!

Those are my main memories.

For some reason, I remember the Mom of Calvin and Hobbes posting at that time too.

I used to post as Dawn K.

As for the great historical events on the board, I'm not sure anything has been as traumatic as the JaneAustenfan trolling scandal.

Wasn't there some woman who posted that her dh died and it was all made up? NO one wanted to talk about it. I had missed it, got wind of it after the fact and it was really weird how no one would discuss it. That was before PMs. :D

Anyway, my favorite is when I first tried to talk about B@@ks and came up with that code word. :lol: Good times. :lurk5:

I arrived on "board" in 2004. I was Joanne in VA for a couple of months then changed to battlemaiden.

I sometimes think I'm missing someone, but then I find out they just have a different board name. That confuses me to on end.

As for the great historical events on the board, I'm not sure anything has been as traumatic as the JaneAustenfan trolling scandal. I still remember my dh looking at me when I gasped, thinking that I was having some sort of medical emergency. ;) That was a doozy.

Jo

and I found WTM shortly after that. I lurked for a long time and my original poster name was different. I am way too busy and too slow a typist to have a high # of posts and I am too self conscience to put a lot of personal info out. I love this board and it has helped me to make home schooling dicisions for years.

This thread is getting really long. I really only replied because I want to know how many posts I have so I can leave feedback for items bought on the used board.

Happy Friday

My kids are 1st and 3rd, so we're still young in our homeschool journey. I tend to read and glean more from the veteran homeschooler's posts than write my own posts, but I'm starting to feel I have some worthy advice to offer to those schooling very young children.

I have to break away from the boards every so often to keep myself focused on schooling, but I do love visiting. I've learned so much.

Blessings,

Lisa

When my eldest was finishing up 3rd grade, my youngest was finishing up K, and I'd just finished up reading thru WTM. We were getting weary of Sonlight. I'd been a regular on the SL boards, and figured, "surely SWB must have a website." Did an "Alta-vista" search (I don't think google was big yet) and voila.

One of my first posts was a reply to a post about "what to do with preschoolers" - I replied that I'd used ziplock bags to organize a bunch of self-directed readiness activities for my little boy, and casually mentioned that I'd send my ideas to anyone interested. This promptly loaded the board with many requests. I did eventually post a long description of the bags, PaulaK asked permission to put that post on her "Archives" (where it still resides) and later I saw all my great ideas in somebody else's book. LOL. For sale. LOL. Great minds think alike, I guess. :oD