Menu

What's the best *cheap* toilet paper that you've found?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Lately I've been buying the Charmin Basic. I can get a pack of 12 double rolls for $5.49. I used to get the 12 double rolls of Angel Soft but it has been running a dollar or more above the Charmin.

We use Angel Soft....second cheapest brand at walmart...the cheapest brand....ummmm, let's just not soft, more like what you get at a public restroom. Ick. Buy a 4 pack to try it out first, then look for it in the larger packages. As long as it's soft (i.e. not the public restroom type), I don't need quilted, fluffy, extra soft, etc.

Paper towel the same way....cheapest brand is fine. Though, honestly we don't use much paper towel, we use wash cloths to clean up spills, reusable, washable, cheap ones that come in a 18 pack from Walmart for a couple of dollars. We have paper towel on hand for those things that a wash cloth won't work....like lining the veggie drawer, lol.

Another great money saver...stop using so much laundry detergent. Seriously, try a load with about 1/4 of what you normally use. Seriously. Now, caveat, my DH's workout clothes and other things that truly stink....I still do the small amount of detergent, but I also dump in about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of vinegar (you can buy it by the gallon so it's not the entire little bottle you have for cooking, lol). That cuts the stink. And the vinegar smell disappears when you dry. If you line dry, it should still go away in the breeze.

And no fabric softener in the washer.....and no Bounce or equivalent in the dryer. Take some white wash cloths (see above about cheap price) and put it over the bottle of fabric softener, tip the bottle to make a wet circle on the wash cloth, throw it in on the wet clothes, dry like normal and except for flannel, no static cling. For flannel I do put in a half Bounce sheet. That box of Bounce has been around for years....and I go through about one bottle of fabric softener a year as well.

Some people complain because the clothes don't come out of the dryer heavily scented....but ya know what....check those same clothes a day or two later and there is no scent left....so by the time you wear it, the scent is gone. And who wants to walk around smelling of fabric softener anyway? But a little body spray in a less chemically scent, lol. Spray it on your clothes, not your body...the scent lingers all day on the clothes, a couple hours on your body.

Lately I've been buying the Charmin Basic. I can get a pack of 12 double rolls for $5.49. I used to get the 12 double rolls of Angel Soft but it has been running a dollar or more above the Charmin.

:iagree: This is what we use. It is single-ply, but it is SOFT. We've used it exclusively for 3 years...since moving to the country and having a septic system!

My favorite cheap brand is Sam's club brand. One of my friends used to use this and I liked it so much I asked her where she got it. But, we don't have a Sam's club nearby so I buy the BJ's Brand (like a Sam's) and like it as much as the more expensive I used to use (but not as well as the Sam's club brand). I have found the best way to save money with toilet paper is to use LESS! My girls count out their sheets when they use it, they only need 4-6 sheets and they use wipes (that go in the garbage for #2). But even before they did this I would squeeze my roll before putting it on the holder, it won't roll much so people automatically use less! It works!

On a side note: when someone on facebook posted a poll on whether you put the paper over or under, I replied. My sister replied under mine saying she never noticed how I put it on but noticed it was always flattened in the middle! I told her why and she started doing it in her home and noticed she was buying toilet paper less too! Yes, not only am I that weird homeschooler that makes her own laundry soap, you can also expect squashed toilet rolls when you use my bathroom (and now you know why)!

Melissa

I ususally buy the cheaper stuff.

But are you ready for this. It does help that I am the only girl in my house now,

but I use cloth tp

I know that has helped with the cutting down of using too much paper tp at my house.

Oh and I use Homemade laundry detergent

and then vinegar for the rinse.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, well, we use Scot (you know, 1000 sheets last longer). Have never liked anything else that we have used. I will be interested in the answers.;)

:iagree: Its not "cheap" BUT it lasts FOREVER per roll!!! Which makes it cheaper because you do not go through rolls nearly as fast! It last 2-3 times longer than any other! Family dollar JUST came out with a generic Family Dollar brand of scott that also has 1000 sheets per roll. I got some, but have not opened it yet, so we will see who that goes!!!

We switched from Scott 1000 to Scott Extra Soft Septic Safe 12pk for about $8.50. It lasts maybe 1 1/2 months in a family of 5.

Where do you get this? I'd love to find something specifically for septic systems that isn't tissue-thin (and rough) like the TP for RVs.

Jackie

Scott Tissue. It's still 1000 sheets, but have you noticed how much shorter those sheets are? A full roll looks about the same size as about a 2/3 roll just a couple of years ago. Not sure, but the diameter of the cardboard roll may be larger too. I wish they kept them as they were and just charged more. We're forever changing the roll.

We have used the Scott's 1000 for years, and I agree with the poster who thought it seemed to be less on it now, which is one of the reasons I'm thinking of switching!

Thanks for the great replies-good to have somewhere to start as far as trying other brands!

Oh, and I did make my own laundry det for awhile, but we felt the whites were yellow. Now I just buy the cheapest allergy free stuff and only use about 2 or 3 Tablespoons per load and it works fine, and lasts a long time! If I have a tough load I throw a little borax in there too-will try the vinegar, thanks! We don't use fabric softener either.

A single guy dh used to work with at his old job has all of you beat on cost.:glare:

He simply got his toilet paper from work. :001_huh: Yup. Every Friday, he'd load up a few rolls from the company stash to take home to his place. :confused:

Now *that's* cheap toilet paper. ;)

Of course, there are the moral and ethical implications of it all... :tongue_smilie:

I simply don't understand some people these days. (shaking head)

A single guy dh used to work with at his old job has all of you beat on cost.:glare:

He simply got his toilet paper from work. :001_huh: Yup. Every Friday, he'd load up a few rolls from the company stash to take home to his place. :confused:

WOW!!! But I guess I knew a guy that did "his business" at work every day which is somewhat along the same lines. He said he had regulated his system so that he only went #2 while he was at work, so he didn't have the wear and tear of waste and extra TP on his pipes at home - he seemed to be proud of the fact... :001_huh:

WOW!!! But I guess I knew a guy that did "his business" at work every day which is somewhat along the same lines. He said he had regulated his system so that he only went #2 while he was at work, so he didn't have the wear and tear of waste and extra TP on his pipes at home - he seemed to be proud of the fact... :001_huh:

:lol:

Hmmmm ... he's probably still single - can you imagine that? :lol:

Have you ever thought about using cloth? I use cloth wipes made of serged double layer flannel in a 4X8 sheet....just the right size for my hand. I only use it for pee and use regular TP for #2. DD-6 uses it too and Dh uses reg TP and for that we use Charmin regular rolls. Since I have switched to cloth I have saved TONS of TP. I keep them in a pretty basket on the back of the toilet and when the are used I drop them in a plastic basket on the side of the toilet and wash when I wash diapers (again I use cloth) but you could just wash them when you wash towels. Somepeople use cloth for #2 also but I just can't go that far but I am the one who pees alot since I drink coffee so every little bit helps. Just a thought:001_smile:

I buy on sale. I compare the number of sheets per roll; you really can't tell otherwise (even the size of the roll is deceptive).

this is the only way. I usually figure the cheapest I can get a larger roll for is White Cloud (walmart 2.00 pkge-.50 roll) That is my benchmark. Anthing else must be as large, as cheap. I coupon to get that from other brands. Frequently, however there are coupons for white cloud which makes it 1.00.

Lara

Another Angel Soft user here... :) I hate toilet paper that "feels cheap" - we've been using this brand for years, and it compares well to the more expensive brands.

We use Angel Soft, too. I prefer Scott, but my dd apparently has a super-sensitive tushie, because she says Scott is too rough. So, Angel Soft, it is.

this is the only way. I usually figure the cheapest I can get a larger roll for is White Cloud (walmart 2.00 pkge-.50 roll) That is my benchmark. Anthing else must be as large, as cheap. I coupon to get that from other brands. Frequently, however there are coupons for white cloud which makes it 1.00.

Lara

This is what I use. Same price, at least that's nice to know.

I think we are getting ignored about the cloth stuff.

I too like it.

Have you ever thought about using cloth? I use cloth wipes made of serged double layer flannel in a 4X8 sheet....just the right size for my hand. I only use it for pee and use regular TP for #2. DD-6 uses it too and Dh uses reg TP and for that we use Charmin regular rolls. Since I have switched to cloth I have saved TONS of TP. I keep them in a pretty basket on the back of the toilet and when the are used I drop them in a plastic basket on the side of the toilet and wash when I wash diapers (again I use cloth) but you could just wash them when you wash towels. Somepeople use cloth for #2 also but I just can't go that far but I am the one who pees alot since I drink coffee so every little bit helps. Just a thought:001_smile:

Cloth people-not ignored at all! I am seriously considering this for #1 for dd and I, thank you! :)

You are welcome. I love using cloth. I need to make me some more so I have plenty to make ti between the washes.

Very nice to know I'm not wasting paper and spending the money on the tp to flush.

Hey, I do the same thing, but for peace and quiet.

Kiddo has taken to being uber-polite. The other day he knocked adamantly right after I shut the door.

"Yeeeees, what iiiiiis it?"

"Have a good time!" he piped.

I too like it.

Mmmm, well, I was trying to be polite. . . Sometimes, if you think you are being ignored. . . It might be that folks are trying to be polite. ;)

But, may I say :ack2::ack2: EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

LOL. To each, her own. . . But, this is something I shall not do! No matter the savings. Plus, the energy/water/detergent costs are not insignificant.

And, anyway, EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

;)

Now *that's* cheap toilet paper. ;)

Of course, there are the moral and ethical implications of it all... :tongue_smilie:

I simply don't understand some people these days. (shaking head)

LOL what do you expect from a bachelor?:D

We use White Cloud Green Earth tp. It's a bit over two bucks for a four pack, and that lasts us weeks. They just seem to keep going forever. Also, it's made from 100% recycled stuff.

Ewww-- what are they recycling? Somethings just shouldnt be made from recycled stuff? Hey was that the sunday funnys I just flushed? :lol::lol:

Have you ever thought about using cloth? I use cloth wipes made of serged double layer flannel in a 4X8 sheet....just the right size for my hand. I only use it for pee and use regular TP for #2. DD-6 uses it too and Dh uses reg TP and for that we use Charmin regular rolls. Since I have switched to cloth I have saved TONS of TP. I keep them in a pretty basket on the back of the toilet and when the are used I drop them in a plastic basket on the side of the toilet and wash when I wash diapers (again I use cloth) but you could just wash them when you wash towels. Somepeople use cloth for #2 also but I just can't go that far but I am the one who pees alot since I drink coffee so every little bit helps. Just a thought

:scared:Just wrong! No offense, but after a shower and I dry my face off I dont want to know that my towel was washed with used cloth tp... ewwwwww

I too like it.

:scared::ack2:

Cloth people-not ignored at all! I am seriously considering this for #1 for dd and I, thank you!

:ack2:

You are welcome. I love using cloth. I need to make me some more so I have plenty to make ti between the washes.

Very nice to know I'm not wasting paper and spending the money on the tp to flush.

:ack2:

Mmmm, well, I was trying to be polite. . . Sometimes, if you think you are being ignored. . . It might be that folks are trying to be polite.

But, may I say :ack2: EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

LOL. To each, her own. . . But, this is something I shall not do! No matter the savings. Plus, the energy/water/detergent costs are not insignificant.

:iagree:

it's okay even getting this response is okay.

yes to each his own.

I too felt that way in the begining but I had used cloth diapers on my kids and yeah after I did some reading it really wasn't a big deal at all.

yes washing could cost but yes they are just thrown in with another load so it isn't a significant cost at all.

now I do use tp for # 2 and i do go yuck onthat when I see that others use cloth for that.

Mmmm, well, I was trying to be polite. . . Sometimes, if you think you are being ignored. . . It might be that folks are trying to be polite. ;)

But, may I say :ack2::ack2: EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

;)

I don't get it. Why is cloth tp gross? Especially when it's used only for #1? I don't think I could go so far as to use it for #2. But, it sounds nice and soft!

And, when your child pees his pants, do you separate that laundry to do by itself? Or do you do it all with the other clothes? What's the difference between that and washing the wipes used for #1?

I'm considering it too. But, then again, I used cloth diapers for my kids, so maybe I'm not easily grossed out by this stuff.