Menu

My dh is making me do this

Is your dh as unhelpful as mine?  

1. 1. Is your dh as unhelpful as mine?

• Yes
    • No

So heres the question. I ask him about curriculum and he first heavily sighs.... then rolls his eyes the starts barely skimming what I give him to look at :001_huh:and when he is caught he tries to say he read it. :glare:

So ladies. Does your dh look at curriculum with you with the same intensity as you? (his question.) Or is your dh like mine :banghead: and gloss over what you are trying to get him to help you with.

----> DH says "I trust your judgement when choosing proper curriculum for our dc. If I see something that doesnt look good I speak up"

Back to me.... :cursing::cursing::cursing:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrangler, I think everybody has their own mix of how this works. Sometimes well-meaning convention speakers get up and imply that if every dh isn't stepping right in to help with subjects and pick things and lead and guide, then he obviously isn't doing his (spiritual, etc.) duty. My dh works 60 hours a week, comes home weary, and doesn't have time or strength then to listen to every tit for tat nuance on how I'm teaching math facts, correcting writing sprawl, pondering the progymnasta, debating methods of teaching rhetoric, or anything else. It's called DELEGATED. He brings home the bacon, I fry it. I occasionally lose my mind (as in go crazy, needing some help, any help) and ask him his opinion. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes it's not. The main thing I'm grateful for is that if he's not going to be up on everything, at least he's not then going to interject his OPINION on things. That would be a worse scenario, lol.

Maybe this is bugging you because you're feeling weak and want someone to buck you up or bolster your self-confidence? Maybe you can find a local homeschooler (or internet) who knows your situation and can do that for you? Not every man is going to, and the wanderings and waverings of some women are too tiresome to their men to be borne with. So I say just accept it, take the empty credit card, do your best, and move on. :)

PS. And to the dh, I say clearly she needs more backrubs, brownies, and nights out. More support. :)

Wrangler, I think everybody has their own mix of how this works. Sometimes well-meaning convention speakers get up and imply that if every dh isn't stepping right in to help with subjects and pick things and lead and guide, then he obviously isn't doing his (spiritual, etc.) duty. My dh works 60 hours a week, comes home weary, and doesn't have time or strength then to listen to every tit for tat nuance on how I'm teaching math facts, correcting writing sprawl, pondering the progymnasta, debating methods of teaching rhetoric, or anything else. It's called DELEGATED. He brings home the bacon, I fry it. I occasionally lose my mind (as in go crazy, needing some help, any help) and ask him his opinion. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes it's not. The main thing I'm grateful for is that if he's not going to be up on everything, at least he's not then going to interject his OPINION on things. That would be a worse scenario, lol.

Maybe this is bugging you because you're feeling weak and want someone to buck you up or bolster your self-confidence? Maybe you can find a local homeschooler (or internet) who knows your situation and can do that for you? Not every man is going to, and the wanderings and waverings of some women are too tiresome to their men to be borne with. So I say just accept it, take the empty credit card, do your best, and move on. :)

PS. And to the dh, I say clearly she needs more backrubs, brownies, and nights out. More support. :)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Well stated.

Geo

:iagree:

This is an excellent answer! My dh helps me homeschool by being my "heavy" when I need it. When the dc are giving me attitude and complaining, I tell him and he has a "talk" with them. It's amazing the changes in their cooperation after they've had a trip to the "principals office." :tongue_smilie:

Guest Dulcimeramy

My husband doesn't ask me how to solve his problems at work. If he really wants to talk about it, I will listen until my eyes glaze over, but wiremen have hours of study and experience that somehow don't translate into scintillating dinner table conversation. If I interject or opine, I'm just opening the door for more information about conduit and I don't want that! Smile and nod, and tell him he's the smartest one. That's my job.

He feels the same way about me and curriculum.

My husband doesn't ask me how to solve his problems at work. If he really wants to talk about it, I will listen until my eyes glaze over, but wiremen have hours of study and experience that somehow don't translate into scintillating dinner table conversation. If I interject or opine, I'm just opening the door for more information about conduit and I don't want that! Smile and nod, and tell him he's the smartest one. That's my job.

OMG. My husband is an electrical contractor and this is exactly how it goes down at my house, eye glazing included. I am laughing so hard I could wet my britches.

Thanks, I needed it. :rofl:

Geo

I don't want to call mine unhelpful because I pretty much prefer the control. Not so much of the teaching, but of the curricula :D

He's supposed to teach the oldest to draw, but neither shows an interest. They'd rather watch TV together.

A few weeks ago I sent him a Melville style paragraph written by dd (MCT assignment) to show him that my job was hard, too, when I have to read stuff like this. He thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever read and showed everyone at work.

Just last week, our youngest was walking around with one of those mini paperbacks. It was the Art of War by Sun Tzu. It was obviously for school, well to me it was. He asked what it was for and I told him that the baby knows her letters and sounds, and that it was being used successfully on my forums, so we were going to use it to teach her to read. I think he believed me.

I'd say my husband is somewhere in between the two ends of the spectrum. He is certainly interested in what the children are doing. He participates in some of the 'teaching'. He is happy to discuss issues as long as I get him at a good time when he's not tired or trying to work. But he won't read books or lengthy articles, as he thinks it's more efficient for me to read them and tell him anything he needs to know (I read a lot faster than he does). And he doesn't get as worried as I do. He says I over analyse things when I should just spend time with the kids, do what I think is good, and change it if it doesn't seem to work. He thinks that if they're happy and they're learning, then we're all good, whereas I get stressed if I hear about some theory/technique/resource that I hadn't looked into and considered.

I'd say my husband is somewhere in between the two ends of the spectrum. He is certainly interested in what the children are doing. He participates in some of the 'teaching'. He is happy to discuss issues as long as I get him at a good time when he's not tired or trying to work. But he won't read books or lengthy articles, as he thinks it's more efficient for me to read them and tell him anything he needs to know (I read a lot faster than he does). And he doesn't get as worried as I do. He says I over analyse things when I should just spend time with the kids, do what I think is good, and change it if it doesn't seem to work. He thinks that if they're happy and they're learning, then we're all good, whereas I get stressed if I hear about some theory/technique/resource that I hadn't looked into and considered.

Sounds like a great guy.

Geo

I expect my hubby to say things like "uh huh" and "cool" and "Rosie, you think so much about this stuff that you really can't bugger it up in any serious, long lasting way." He is able to say these things in a very good approximation of sincerity even with his eyes glazed over.

If you feel bad, think about how school would look like at your place if your hubby was in charge. Here it'd be maths games and quantum physics documentaries. I can do better than that, even if I don't pick the best curriculum for any subject :lol:

Rosie

Dh isn't helpful in terms of curricula, but I don't really expect him to be. I'm just glad that he is confident in my ability to do well with homeschooling. The only time I get irritated about this is with Spanish. Dh is a native Spanish speaker (he grew up speaking both Spanish and English), but he doesn't really do enough when it comes to teaching ds Spanish.

Dh is not involved in HSing decisions. I've had TWTM since dd was 2 (she's now 9yrs old) and he's never read it, or even skimmed in. Absolutely. zero. interest. Bottom line is, he does his job, and I do mine. That's not necessarily how I like it, as I feel I bear more responsiblity than I should (if the kids flunk out of university somewhere down the line, guess whose fault it will be?). It's not just HSing, though, it's kind of how our relationship works, I make decision about holidays, houses, how we eat etc etc. He's not particularly worried about it, so couldn't be bothered to be involved in the decision making process. After 15yrs of marriage I am more or less used to it...

True Story:

I researched hs'ing for years before we actually started. I read mountains of books, talked to every hs parent I met, internet was barely available then. I especially asked people how they taught their dc to read. When we started K, dh quit his job to return to school. He was "in charge" of reading. I was "in charge" of math. 2 weeks before we formally started, I handed dh the 3 reading curriculums I thought were best. He perused them and chose the one he liked, then he started early.

I laugh and say my ETD (estimated time of departure) was 3 years and his was 3 days.

We are like this in many, many things: major purchases, restaurant dining, vacation spots, etc. I love to look at all the options and have difficulty choosing (there must be much angst, you know) and he likes to look at 3 and choose. :D

Just last week, our youngest was walking around with one of those mini paperbacks. It was the Art of War by Sun Tzu. It was obviously for school, well to me it was. He asked what it was for and I told him that the baby knows her letters and sounds, and that it was being used successfully on my forums, so we were going to use it to teach her to read. I think he believed me.

:lol:

If I make a huge effort, I can get DH interested for a few minutes. More typically he's glazed over, and I'm lucky if I can get a one sentence response when I ask his opinion. I've decided that's fine by me. :D

My husband will listen to me talk about my options and analyze the differences, so he is pretty tolerant as far as that goes. When it comes to helping me make a decision or forming an opinion about the material, he really doesn't have anything to say.

On the bright side, I've heard some women say their husbands insist that they use a particular curriculum. Now, that would be annoying.

Lisa

My dh is very willing to read over/study any material that I ask when I am needing a second opinion or another point of view. He knows that I value his opinion and he is a very engaged sounding board for curriculum discussions. This has been particularly wonderful as we are in the high school years. I can't imagine him not willing to fully engage in discussions involving our children's education. The final decision is mine, but his input is invaluable.

Edited by ncmomo3

DH is a custom software developer not a wireman, but its still the same story. If he is stressed, I listen, but he doesn't ask me to know what programming technique to use to fix an issue. I don't ask him to know about curriculum. I talk to him about it sometimes. If I'm excited about something I have found, I will share that. If I'm worried or stressed, sometimes using him as a sounding block brings clarity. He never previews the curriculum though.

I consider my dh very supportive and helpful, but know better than to involve him in my curriculum decisions! However, he has picked out curriculum for our high schoolers when he taught them Economics and Government because he was doing the teaching, but that was because he was talking to older teenagers about subjects he is expert in! He does help a lot with science by doing experiments with the kids, talking about it with them and taking them on occasional field trips. He'll help them with math if they have a question and I can't answer it for them.

But frankly it was the same way with baby books. He didn't read one of them while I had a whole stack next to my bedside table learning everything I could about being a mother. However, he turned out to be a good dad, in spite of the fact he didn't study up on it! It just isn't the same way with guys, at least not my guy. He just approaches things differently. I like it this way because I get a lot freedom!

I didn't vote because my dh falls somewhere in the middle. While he is not eager to be involved in the curricula choices, he will help if I ask. He just does not like to be pressured to do so. If I want him to read through a sample or something, I just put it on his desk with a post-it note and ask him to do so when he can.

And fwiw, I don't ask often... maybe a few times a year. It's usually a subject that he is more knowledgeable about like science, math, and history.

Ultimately, he wants me to do the research and make the decisions since I'm and their main instructor. That tide may shift some when we hit high school math and science. ;)

My 2 cents,

I am trusted "completely" and prefer it that way.:iagree:;)

dh is very proud of the kids and supportive of HSing. I involve him more by sending the kids to show him their work and tell him about what we learned today. He sees the kids learning and growing, and that's what matters to him.

I consider my dh to be like a school superintendent: Funding our efforts but with no actual idea of what goes on every day!!

Lol, Shari. We refer to my dh as 'the principal' because he mainly steps in when there's a disciplinary issue that needs back-up.

Once in awhile I want to talk to dh about homeschool related things. Either because I am really excited about something and I want to talk about it or because I am struggling with something and basically just want someone to listen. On some occasions I have talked to him about it because I want to make a new purchase and am trying to justify it to him ahead of time. ie. "Such and such really isn't working....." or "I've been reading this book (LCC or a CM book or some other) and I really think we need......." or "A lot of people on the WTM boards are talking about_____ and I've been researching it and it really sounds like it would be good for us."

I don't usually actually want his opinion since I know he's clueless.:001_smile: But I would like him to stop reading the paper, looking at the computer, or the t.v. Feign interest. It will get him far.;)

At any rate, he has often said, "Thank goodness you have those boards. They can always help you better than I can.":thumbup:

Woolybear

I agree that it is most common for dads not to be particularly involved in the selection of curriculum, and that is quite often best for everyone!

Don't forget, if you go to men for support, they most often think you want a solution/answer, even when you already have your own answer. You may have spent hours, days, weeks or months comparing curricula, and want him to help you narrow it down, or simply support your choice. However, he could very well glance at the options, announce "I think this looks good" (not what you had chosen), and then you will spend days trying to help him understand why you made the choice you did, he'll say "Why did you ask me then, if you've already decided?" and on and on.

There are women out there whose husbands will only "let" them homeschool if they use a certain curriculum. I would count my blessings, bask in the freedom of being able to chose what you know, through the wisdom of day to day experience with your kids and your research, is best for them.

To me, expecting dh to be excited and interested in choosing curriculum is the same as expecting him to be excited about wedding planning, or nursery decorating. It just ain't happenin', so just be happy he isn't interfering, and bounce your ideas off other women who are interested :)

If you need advice, support, and encouragement, that's what we're here for! Let hubby support you in the pat-on-the-back, disciplining the kids, give-you-a-break-for-a-few-hours capacity. Leave the curriculum selection to the experts ;)

:lol:

If I make a huge effort, I can get DH interested for a few minutes. More typically he's glazed over, and I'm lucky if I can get a one sentence response when I ask his opinion. I've decided that's fine by me. :D

Yep, I figure I get about 3-5 minutes a year of non-eye glazed interest. Then, all done. It is SO MUCH better than the alternative: "constructive criticisim" or possibly: "you can do this cheaper"! Heaven help me:tongue_smilie:. He goes all three days to the conference every year, is totally on board with the homeschool lifestyle and participates in the values and thinks I am doing a great thing. I am good with that, very good!

Stacey

Guest Barb B

OH _ I misread the poll! I thought it said is your ds helpful so I voted no! But I see by the wording I needed to vote yes. I could be teaching nothing for all he knows (or cares to know!)>

Barb

I pick all curriculum for the dc, INCLUDING the curriculum he uses when he does "elective" classes with them. I prefer it that way, and so does he :) Complete trust is a good thing ;)... but only if you both are happy with it that way. If you want him to be involved more, talk with him and see if you both can find a system that works for each of you.

Edited by babysparkler

My husband will listen to me talk about my options and analyze the differences, so he is pretty tolerant as far as that goes. When it comes to helping me make a decision or forming an opinion about the material, he really doesn't have anything to say.

On the bright side, I've heard some women say their husbands insist that they use a particular curriculum. Now, that would be annoying.

Lisa

Pretty much this. I get support when I need it, in terms of him listening to me talk and saying something supportive. I get no interference, which I appreciate. I explain what I am doing with the kids and their curriculum, not because he has a burning desire to know but because it is important to me. I have recently been on a "math kick" and have been reading a book on teaching math, methodology, conceptual versus algorithm knowledge...all of that stuff.:tongue_smilie: I have been going on about it and he listens. Last night, I was going on about it as we were trying to go to sleep. He nicely listened even though I'm sure he was falling asleep. I told him that I had become a math geek and he agreed.:lol:

I know one friend who asked for her dh's input (he travels for work and is gone a lot so is largely uninvolved with the schooling) and he offered suggestions like the fact that the need to finish every single math problem, even if they have the concept down cold. She told me she was sorry she asked because she then felt obliged to respect his wishes.:tongue_smilie:

In my husband's opinion, his job is to earn the money so that I can stay home to homeschool the kids. My job is to homeschool them, and he's not especially interested in the intricacies of that.

Sometimes it's frustrating, but then I try to remember that my dh doesn't spend his days immersed in homeschooling stuff, so it's not really reasonable to expect him to have a well-formed opinion about it.

Tara

Well, I voted "yes", but I don't see it as unhelpful, I see it as he has NO clue about any of this. He is very supportive of me homeschooling (he was the one who wanted us to homeschool from the beginning and I just couldn't with all we had going on). He really tries hard to be supportive, sets aside money for me and tries hard to make it possible financially for us to do some field trips. He listens to me when I'm struggling with one of our children and gives as much help as he's able. He helps me occasionally with something I don't understand.... however, when it comes to curriculum choosing, it's just not something he knows a lot about or really, quite frankly cares about. I used to be a PS teacher and I loved my job (well, the actual job of "teaching" that is, not what went with it). Curriculum is a hobby for me, teaching a passion. He fully trusts my judgment and as long as the kids and I are happy and learning (yes, I learn too!) he has no complaints. I have learned not to ask him for input because he just doesn't have any. I use this board heavily for that as well as my best girlfriend who homeschools also. I have more than I need here for advice...so I really have stopped expecting him to be my sounding board. I don't really think it's fair to expect him to be able to give an informed decision after he's done no research and I've done a ton! It would be like him asking me for woodworking advice... I have NONE to give him and wouldn't really care as long as the project got done! :D

I don't want to call mine unhelpful because I pretty much prefer the control. Not so much of the teaching, but of the curricula :D

I ask dh for advice here and there, and I do get it, but I do like the control. He knows I did all the research, poured over books for four years plus, so he does trust me. Dh is my advisor, but I take the ultimate decision.

Dh is also my assistant, substitute teacher, and art teacher (he's an artist). Next year he's teaching a whole 6 weeks on Rocks and Minerals, as that's his area of expertise (he's a Gemologist and Diamond Expert). He likes teaching, and dh likes him teaching. Dh has told me that if he could stay home and make money solely with his art (he does some) and teach the kids he'd be all set :D

Oh, I forgot he also sees opportunities for us and takes us on further field trips.

I consider my dh to be like a school superintendent: Funding our efforts but with no actual idea of what goes on every day!!

:lol: Us too! He works way too much to care what curriculum I choose. As long as the kids are learning and not throwing a fit over their lessons while he is home, he's happy. He has no problem getting down on the floor with change, beans, or whatever to help my dd understand a math concept she is having trouble with and HSing was his idea to begin with, but it's my job day to day.

I suppose it's only fair because I have a hard time listening to him when he rambles about his day.

I didn't vote. My husband is in the middle. He is an unschooler at heart, so I don't ask him for his help too often and he doesn't offer it if he isn't asked. But, if asked, he helps.

So far, this thread is nice, but just want to mention that there used to be a ban on husband threads! :001_smile:

Mine is in the middle. He does listen to me, eyes glazing over, and nodding:) He goes to convention with me and goes to workshops and enjoys looking at books. He does not tell me what to use (usually) or tell me to spend less $. He knowsI do my best to save where I can, and that it is not my habit to overspend. He and I both have confidence in me at this point.

I have to tell one quick story though. He did pick our 1st grade curric. And I was so grateful he did! The year we did K, we had gone to convention, pouring over math currics. My 4 yr old at the time was already reading fluently, so I had decided to lay off any L.A. stuff until I had done more research, since I didn't really know what I should be teaching her yet. I knew what I was doing was working, and planned to keep that up for K, while I learned what comes next. So we finally chose Rod and Staff math. Over the year, I read Well Trained Mind, and I decided on that for our course. But when it came time to actually buy 1st grade stuff, I couldn't decide which of the selections to go with. I agonized over everything L.A. related. We already had SOTW and R&S math. But L.A. I went back and forth on. Finally, dh said, "You like Rod and Staff's stuff. Buy that. You know it will work well." I was like, "Really? It is that easy for you? Don't you need to look at each program sample, etc?" He said, "No." And that was it. We bought it. I put the early units away for my youngest, and began dd in the middle of the program and had a GREAT year. Now we are using it from the beginning, teaching the youngest to read with the units I set aside that were too easy for the first. God Bless him for ending my agony that year!

I voted unhelpful b/c he is not helpful in choosing curriculum but I don't mean unhelpful in a bad way as in refusing to help with dishes. He happily delegates curriculum to me. As someone pointed out, he's the superintendent. He will be the heavy when the kids are giving me a hard time. He talks to them about things he's interested in and they are interested but all the schooling is up to me. He's away from home 7:30am to 8-8:30pm M-F. I tried to explain the ends and outs of the achievement testing process .... DH wants the bottom line!

WHen it's 10pm and DH starts talking to me about why some experiment is not working, my eyes glaze over. :lol:

My husband is very involved in the decision for our curriculum. He has even researched some on his own and will have me look through it to see what I think. However, I do the majority of research myself. He has also read every book on Homeschooling that I have. I guess I found a "diamond in the rough" with him.

I don't want to call mine unhelpful because I pretty much prefer the control.

It's called DELEGATED. He brings home the bacon, I fry it.

:lol:That's my man. Great way to put it.

My husband has no idea what subjects we cover during the day. Back in the day:001_smile: I tried to ask opinions but when the glazed look took over I gave up completely. The most teaching he will do is listen to my daughter while she reads a step into reading book. I am now ok with that as it is much easier for me to research and purchase materials than using a curriculum I hate because he wants me to.

It does get annoying sometimes but.......I just remind myself that I am grateful to have a husband that allows me to homeschool my kids. Sadly, I know a few women who would love to homeschool but the husband refuses. sigh...

HTH,

Penny

I can't answer yes or no to the question. Dh is very helpful but doesn't involve himself in that particular area. I make all the curriculum decisions. He makes suggestions of things he'd like the dc to learn, but doesn't devour catalogs like I do. ;) I discuss with him but more to lay out stuff that's whirling around in my brain because that kinda helps me organize my thoughts. :001_smile: He's also like the principal and steps in when needed.