Menu

Would you do this with your placenta?

That's kinda interesting. I would want to see it, and probably touch it to see what it feels like, but I don't think it's cute, and I doubt I would do it to my placenta. I have enough clutter as it is, I don't think I'd want to keep a teddy bear placenta around to add to it. :tongue_smilie:

Ummm, yeah - I'll stick to having my kid as a "reminder of the birth"

:iagree::lol::lol:

"It’s as if Hannibal Lecter and FAO Scwartz got together to make a toy."

I agree with this quote from the comment section. Yuck.

I clipped that quote and was going to paste it! :lol:

Seriously disgusting.

Okay I can see eating the placenta for medical benefit.

I can absolutely understand wanting to nourish a tree or other botanical as a reminder....I am very much a dust to dust person.

This just goes beyond benefit and is quite creepy. What would the benefit be? It is no longer in its original form so I see no possible educational, spiritual, or medical use for it.

Even the mention of taxidermy doesn't fit for me, as it is no longer in its true form. Isn't that the typical taxidermy goal, to create a natural looking replica of the animal? They don't make pig stomach teddy bears and then call it taxidermy, they would call that a craft.

I don't think human remains should be a craft supply.

Oh my. Is this for real. When our 4th daughter was born at home my midwife suggested we save it and eat it. THAT was quite a surprise. Never considered it before and after 8 more babies I'm still happy disposing of it! In the trash I mean.

Well, my first reaction was a little bit of a shudder... but then I thought about what we do with animal parts, and whether or not I'd be freaked out about a teddy bear made of cow hide (no). So I guess it's not that bizarre when I think of it in the context of what we as a culture do with various materials from mammal parts... it's kind of a recycling project, no? lol!

(And yes, I have a placenta in my freezer. But I've never eaten one. ;))

From the article:

"Doing it for the Kids recently unveiled many additional fascinating, inventive ‘toys’ at the 100% Design Exhibition in London.
Ooh, wait, there's even more insanity on display!

The goal of the exhibition is to inspire designers, educators and parents to be more critical of the toys that shape a child’s values and the impact toy making has on the environment.
Placenta bears. "For the Kids."

What sort of values are to be imparted to a small child upon seeing her own placenta preserved in the form of a toy? Maybe we could be just a little critical of people who find it "thought-provoking" to make toys out of body tissues.

Have they run out of "sustainable" materials for making toys? What's so sustainable about a PLACENTA????

These artists live in this insular world where they're always trying to "push the envelope" and outdo each other at these design shows. "A toy car made out of organic, 100% recycled sawdust and assembled by fair trade artisans in Tanzania? That's so 2003." ETA: See?! This is what I'm talking about.

Just think -- next year they'll have dolls made out of road kill! :w00t:

"Sustainability" has finally achieved self-parody.

Edited by FlockOfSillies
more insanity

See?! This is what I'm talking about.

I don't understand why they call that 'recycled'. It clearly isn't products that had been used previously! That is like saying, anyone who buys fabric that is already made and then makes a shirt out of it, is recycling. I only have one thing to say about the shirt....if you wear it in the rain it will bloom to look like little flowers! :lol:

You know, I was not prepared for that to be quite so horrifying. I mean, I already thought the idea was gross, but when I clicked the link...it was so much more awful than I thought it would be. I think it has something to do with the shiny leathery quality of the "fur" :ack2:

I'm not disgusted or horrified by it. After all, it's not much different from, say, a leather handbag. And it's probably safer / healthier for kids to touch then a teddy constructed from man made materials (as well as being virtually carbon neutral and not made by exploited workers). But it's not something I personally would do. And I don't think the idea is intended for mass marketing in any case; it looks more like it was just a gimmick to get people noticing that designer. (Hey, nobody would seriously promote it, because it's not an idea you can make money from.)

However, I would be interested to hear what, exactly, people find so nasty about placenta? I suspect it's just a touch of the old women's-bodies-and-how-they-work-are-dirty-and-dangerous ideology.

Edited by Hotdrink

Personally, I think eating it or encapsulating it is just as bad as turning it into a teddy bear.

I wish I'd known about all the fascinating things one could do with a placenta when I'd had my children. I could have played a great practical joke on my O.B. and the main nurse assigned to me (same people, both times).

But no .... I had to wait until I homeschooled to come here for enlightenment.

OTOH, is this all that much different than mummifying a chicken?

Oh my gosh, somebody sent DS2 the link and he thinks it is the most awesome teddy bear ever.

Edited by RoughCollie

I don't have any issue with people who want to eat or bury their placenta (or stick it in the freezer until they decide what they're doing), but a teddy bear? No thank you.

I really don't see it as having an "issue" with the female body, either. I only let my kids play with UNUSED tampons and panty liners. Not because I have an issue with menstruation, but because it would make for a gross toy afterward!

I wouldn't want a ZhuZhu pet made out of my appendix, either!

However, I would be interested to hear what, exactly, people find so nasty about placenta? I suspect it's just a touch of the old women's-bodies-and-how-they-work-are-dirty-and-dangerous ideology.

I think just the idea of making something from a human organ--any organ--is rather disturbing. Leather doesn't bother me because it's animal, not human. No one had to die to make that teddy bear, but it's still nasty.

All I can think of is...

IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN OR IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN.

:lol: YES!!!! I think that is exactly why it creeps me out so much! *shudder*

I worked at a movie theater in high school, and I've seen that movie about 20 times, I think. I can never hear the song American Girl without getting my adrenaline pumping just a little.

Not for me at all. I totally get the "eating the placenta" thing, though I didn't do it myself. However, I don't want any human body parts hanging around my house in any form. For some reason, the locks of "first haircut" hair kind of squick me out a bit too, and it drives me nuts when DD7 wants to take hers out and play with it. I don't have the same problem with leather because at least the cow went for the greater good, to feed people or other animals, and I feel better that we use all parts of it some way (sorry vegans!). Actually though, I just realized that I really don't buy much in the way of leather goods anymore either. Hmmm, that's interesting!

OTOH, is this all that much different than mummifying a chicken?

I haven't been able to bring myself to do that either.

I wouldn't want a ZhuZhu pet made out of my appendix, either!

:lol::lol::lol:

I have to say I have a huge problem with the idea of mummifying a chicken, but not because it's gross. My problem is that you can't eat it once you've mummified it. Hmmm I guess you can't have your chicken/placenta and eat it ;)

We mummified a flock, I suppose, since each child had his/her own.

We were planning to give the finished product to the grandparents as Christmas gifts. I came to my senses, though.

No, this ideology doesn't have anything to do with it. I am just not wanting to have my organs on display next to a dried hydrangea wreath. I don't save my toenails for craft projects why would I save my placenta. I would hope my home decor doesn't require a science lesson to understand.

I wonder what this designer would use to make a pooh bear?:ack2: